April 18, 2014 | 1819 users online

Other - Baking Soda

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2010 5:00:00 PM More reviews by whisper

I love baking soda for household uses (like cleaning stainless appliances & bath/kitchen fixtures) but I tried using it as an exfoliant on my face and had pretty undesirable results. I would hope that someone might learn from my awful experience. The first time I used it, my face immediately felt and looked amazing. The next morning, my face looked and felt even better. I was really sold on this 'baking soda as an all-natural exfoliant' thing. I got excited about my awesome results (and perhaps a wee bit overzealous) and went ahead and did it the following night (skipping that night so as not to do it 2 days in a row). Well, the second time I used it, it kind of wrecked my face. I have good skin, and I take stringent care of it, but the baking soda just wreaked havoc on my poor face! Even though I did the exact same thing I had done before, for whatever reason it did not yield me positive results just the opposite. I was left with a 'burn' on the side of my mouth, which was this sort of red and slightly raised patch of skin that was extremely inflamed (painful and unsightly). That patch took about 4 days to fade to where it wasn't AS visible under concealer, but it remains irritated even still (this whole self-inflicted debacle I should explain occurred just about a week and a half ago to the day). That wasn't even the worst of it. About 3 days after it was healing, the patch 'morphed' into a cold sore. I know it was from the baking soda and the irritation it caused my skin, because I changed not a single other thing about my skin care routine (or my anything-else routine, for that matter; like diet, etc...that was/is all the same). My uncle is a dermatologist, and I called to ask him whether something like this was possible, because it has been a long time since I'd gotten a cold sore on my lip (like 4 or 5 yrs). He said that fatigue, stress, hormonal factors, and abrasion to the area/excessive irritation caused by weather extremities or any similar physical harshness can be causes of cold sores. I know it was the baking soda. The cold sore popped up in the form of 4 tiny blister sacs less than a millimeter away from the aforementioned irritated 'burn' patch from where I must've rubbed just a bit too hard, or for too long. I should also mention that I was VERY gentle when doing this. I barely touched the surface of my skin with my fingertips, in fact! I rubbed gently, in tiny circular movements, for less than 2 minutes. And this happened. I am currently recovering from the cold sore, as I type! Taking Famvir tabs (prescribed by my uncle, the derm I mentioned) and also applying Zovicar cream to my breakout every 3 hrs. Suffice to say that I learned my lesson, and will be sticking to using baking soda exclusively for household purposes from now on (which it is a superior product for; nothing cleans my stainless and sinks/tub like this, hence the stellar rating in case you were confused). But as far as for my face goes, never again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2010 9:49:00 AM More reviews by NatanYah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I use baking soda as a no-poo hair recipe. I take about 2 tablespoons, mix it in a cup of warm water, maybe add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, saturate the scalp and massage in for a few minutes. After this process your hair and scalp should be clarified and clean. This is a cheap inexpensive method of 'shampooing', I love the fact that there are basically no unnatural chemicals being used, too.

Baking soda has about a trillion uses in one box. I use it to clean, cook, no-poo, mix with peroxide to brush teeth and mix with detergent for fresher clothing in the laundry. You can find a big box at WalMart for about $2

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2010 3:07:00 PM More reviews by RawrRawr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I use this 5/7 days of the week. I find it gentle enough to use alot and i need to exfolate to get rid of gunk on my face. I did clear up my acne, I have been using it for almost 2 months but its starting to get amune to it and not working as well. I'd certanly reccomend people to give this a go! who knows, it might work for you also.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2010 5:37:00 PM More reviews by beatthetime

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Baking soda is one of the key ingredients in a homemade mask I apply twice a week. Mix in a clean bowl: 1 tsp honey, 1/8 tsp fresh lemon juice, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 2 tbsp of plain organic yogurt. It noticeably brightens my complexion!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2010 12:14:00 PM More reviews by jaymovez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Baking Soda is a great facial exfoliator. It has been recommended by many dermatologists. It's very mild and effective at making your skin feel baby smooth afterwards.
For those of you worried about pH balance: most dermatologists would tell you to balanced your pH with something acidic after using baking soda, since it is very alkaline. The very best and natural step after baking soda is Apple cider vinegar. Diluted with water (1/2, 1/4, 1/8), after baking soda exfoliation, you apply the apple cider vinegar diluted in water for 10 minutes or so. This brings up your skin's acidity.
This is how you properly use baking soda on your skin safely

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2010 12:00:00 PM More reviews by salhon

HG! Every few months, I go back to regular shampoo and conditioner (Nexus, Biolage, Paul Mitchel), and after 1-2 weeks, I remember why I love the baking soda routine (the regular shampoos/conditioners make my hair so heavy and greasy). I do my own version of it that works great for me. I first do a diluted rinse of plain white vinegar, then I add about about 1/4 cup of baking soda in the bottom of a large drinking cup, add water to the top, and swish around. I pour this diluted baking soda mixture on over the white vinegar rinse (it bubbles nicely). I rinse it all out, and I then condition with about 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar diluted in the same large cup (sometimes I add some essential oil drops). Then I rinse. This is truly my favorite hair care routine!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2010 9:43:00 PM More reviews by pisces31919

I discovered baking soda as a facial scrub while reading Woman's World and I must say that I haven't bought a facial scrub since! It's very fine and I just mix it with my regular facial cleanser every other day. My skin has actually improved while using this which is a plus!!! In addition, it's nice to use this as the occasional tooth whitener!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/10/2010 6:25:00 PM More reviews by internetgirl

This product gives my face a gentle exfoliation. I use everyday to scrub my face before sleep and it didn't irritate my skin. I have noticed an improvement in the brightness of my skin. However, it didn't do much to improve my acne-prone skin condition. I have also noticed, it lightened my bangs.

Edit: they change the formula for arms and hammer baking soda and the formula is so finely grind that it is no longer effective for exfoliating.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2010 3:45:00 PM More reviews by sallysellsseashells

No, not for me! I read up to page 5 on the reviews here for this simple & cheap treatment for the face and was very eager to try it. After using some specific cosmetic brand for a week, I developed a nasty breakout that won't seem to go away. I've been using products with salayic acid and benzoyl peroxide. Nothing seems to be clearing this mess up. I made a pancake mix consistency paste of BS and water and let it sit for about 15 minutes total then rinsed. Immediately after application, I felt a horrible burn but insisted that I keep it on. I thought maybe this is normal to feel a burn? Anyway, after rinsing, my skin was the color of a tomato and I looked like a burn victim. It wasn't until 45 minutes after rinsing that I noticed the burning sensation to wear off. After applying lotion to the face, my normally combo/oily skin felt tight and extremely dry. After 9 hours, my skin still was a bit irritated but the redness was minimal. My acne spots didn't approve with this. However, my skin did feel smoother but I wouldn't go through this again just for slightly smoother skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2010 12:33:00 PM More reviews by sdr95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

Clogged pores on your chest and back? Yeah....never again...never again. Not with this stuff. Also fabulous for black heads on the nose when followed up with a bit of lemon juice after washed off.
update: *sigh*.......sort of stopped working...still works on the nose though!