August 1, 2014 | 1962 users online

Treatments (Face) - Lemon Juice

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2011 5:50:00 AM More reviews by travelbugaf3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've only used this twice, so it's really premature to write a review. But what can I say? I am blown away by the results.

My skin: acne prone, extremely sensitive, oily t zone, dry patches on my cheeks, acne scarring, blackheads, whiteheads, and horribly uneven skin tone.

I recently ditched my old routine for Bare Minerals makeup and a simple bar soap for cleansing, both of which really helped clear up my acne and made my skin look better than it's looked in years. . . however, I was still getting a few spots and the scarring really bothered me.

So, I tried two things for the first time yesterday: lemon juice and oatmeal.

I put lemon juice (bottled) onto a cotton ball and rubbed onto my damp skin, left it for ten minutes, then rinsed my face and cleansed with plain oatmeal and went to bed.

I expected the lemon to burn me since my skin is so sensitive that even the gentlest formulas of BP and SA bother me. But it just tingled a bit, no horrid burning.

I woke up this morning, and 80% of my whiteheads were gone. My blackheads were there, but less noticable. My acne scars were already lighter. I didn't wake up with an oil slick on my face like normal.

So, I did the exact same routine tonight. I doubt my face will tolerate daily acid treatment, so I don't expect to be able to do this on a daily basis. But I plan on incorporating lemon (and oatmeal, which I think really helped soothe my skin after the harsh lemon) into my routine as often as my skin can handle it.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2011 8:01:00 PM More reviews by lacou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Ahh lemons, you amazing little fruit. Lemon juice is seriously my secret weapon against post inflammatory pigmentation. I suffer from not only having a pimple but an extremely long lasting purple to pink spot that remains. In only four uses lemon juice has drastically lightened the spots and that use of a 15% homemade L-Ascorbic acid serum (very simple formulation, just L-AA and hydrosol) used diligently and re-made freshly as needed, 15% mandelic and lactic serum, daisy extract serum and retin-a have not made a difference in. Im telling you it is literally BLEACHING the marks off my face. Impressive and natural. These will be gone in no time.
ETA: I've had more luck with store bought from concentrate lemon juice than squeezing fresh lemons out. I'm not opposed to a little preparation but the bottled stuff is actually working better. Try it this way if fresh isn't giving you the results you want.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/20/2011 10:31:00 AM More reviews by hoale

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've been using lime juice on my dark spots due to lots of break out. Unfortunately, i don't see any improvement. Will continue using this till the end of the month to see if it would help.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2011 9:37:00 PM More reviews by Ymel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Lemon juice is great for on the spot acne and can remove scars, but the bad part about it is that it's damaging to your skin. Be careful if you have sensitive skin, it will cause redness and eventually make your face more sensitive and irritated easily.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2011 3:26:00 PM More reviews by lukivo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been taking fresh lemons, squeezing them into a small cosmetic container, and keeping it in the fridge. Half a lemon lasts for about a week... I have been doing this treatment for about two weeks. The first few days it stung and itched soo bad, but that seemed to go away. I have been using it morning and night, but after reading the reviews of others about how it makes your skin super sensitive to the sun, I think I'll go down to just once in the evening. My forehead and chin had stubborn whiteheads that were impossible to get rid of. I had to use clindoxyl every night for fear of more turning up or the existing ones becoming inflamed. Well let me tell you, lemon juice has replaced those harsh prescription chemicals! I didn't even want to pin my bangs up to expose my limply forehead... But now I can! Yay for lemons.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2011 3:30:00 PM More reviews by hanstan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I came across lemon juice on MUA one day and decided to look into it!
and thank god i did...
i was going though a really bad stage with my skin, ive always had dry skin with eczema break outs on my face but found ways to manage it well.
Suddently my skin was flakey and red, soar when i put makeup on always stinging and hurting. I went to the doctors and he said I had acne which i had never had before.
He gave me a lotion to put on the spots.
after trying this for 2 days i discovered the lemon juice raves
i started toneing my face with it every night and now all is left is tiny little scabs after a week of them being giant cystic spots.
I AM AMAZED AT THIS PRODUCT
if you have acne i would truely recomend this I have done to all of my friends and they are trying it to!!!
I just used the lemon juice out of a bottle and put it on a cotton pad and swiped over my face sometimes more on the really spotty areas!
IT BURNS LIKE CRAZY but ITS WORTH IT!
after 2 mins it stops and then after 15 mins you will notice spots where they were not before it brings them all out!
Yes its a pain but i though if ive got spots now a few more wont hurt and once you get all the dirt out of your skin its gone! if you continue to use the lemon juice
please try this and perservere with the treatment as it does work like a mirical. btw i stopped using the doctors lotion and switched to just lemon juice

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2011 9:48:00 AM More reviews by TPan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using juice squeezed directly from the lemon. I cut into half, squeeze some juice onto a cotton pad till it's wet and keep d rest of the fruit in the fridge. The other half I make into lemonade with honey. Yup I always have lemons in the fridge.
After cleansing with cetaphil and water I gently wipe my face with the lemon cotton pad, in gentle small circular movements for about a minute, then rinse off. Must rinse off. I do this three to four times a week at night. I've gotten rid of stubborn whiteheads without even having to squeeze. They just come right off. There was one stubborn rascal on the brow bone. I wiped it with just a tiny bit of pressure and it came off on the third use! I love this stuff. Good for getting rid of fine wrinkles, age spots, whiteheads and closes my open pores.  It's natural, cheap, smells wonderful, evens out skin tone, whitens, smoothens and softens. God's gift. What more could I ask for?

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2011 2:58:00 PM More reviews by blusky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I've been using the bottled juice version which works fine, for around 3 weeks now. Although my skin is tough (I occasionally use AHA products), using this overnight was still too strong for me. I had to use olive honey and cinnamon as a mask, then some ice to help calm my skin down. My skin was just irritated, swollen and super itchy around my mouth, probably because of the thinner skin there. But that was my only problem for that one night.

Using this as a 15 min toner works great though. It evens out the oiliness of my skin. Some days I don't even need moisturizer on the days that I do, I use olive oil or Nivea Soft. This has helped to even out my complexion definitely. It does help existing zits come to a head, so it helps clear out the skin the way other products with AHAs do. I just have to be careful to balance my use of it. Thumbs up!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2011 1:00:00 AM More reviews by anjanmrao

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I noticed several reviewers commenting on the chemicals in lemons and their effects. I just wanted to help clarify and answer some questions. I study Biology, and therefore have a good understanding of chemistry, so you can take my word that I'm not pulling stuff out of thin air. :-)

So basically lemons work so well because they contain citric acid. Concentration of citric acid in lemons is pretty high, so if you feel like the juice is working for you but is burning, stinging, etc, you can try using grapefruits or oranges. They have a little less citric acid, and they contain more fructose (sugar), which is also good for your skin.
So citric acid helps break down (oxidizes, actually) oil, protein, carbohydrates. When used on skin, it helps break down the cell membrane. The low concentration of citric acid in lemons usually just helps the dead or dying skin cells separate from the other cells. So it speeds up the process of dead cells shedding. This in turn gives the surrounding cells feedback to reproduce quicker. Some people may notice that the lemon juice helps skin feel softer, and smoother at first, but after repeated uses causes redness, irritation, and/or damage. This is usually because the number of skin cells dying/sloughing off are more than the number that are forming.

Citric acid is in the alpha hydroxy class of acids. Most people here are familiar with alpha hydroxy acids--they are commonly used as anti-wrinkle products. Citric acid, like most alpha hydroxy acids, causes skin cells to respond to their presence by producing more collagen and less melanin. The only problem is that the chemical needs to get through the epidermis and reach the dermis (contains blood vessels). Citric acid molecules are larger and have a little more difficulty getting past the epidermis as compared to certain other acids. So don't make fun of others paying good money for skin products--they usually contain compounds that work better while reducing unpleasant side effects. The chemical structure of some compounds may be changed and tweaked to enhance their performance and decrease collateral damage. (Think citric acid without the burning, redness, damage from prolonged use)

Anyway, I think I got a little carried away here. I just meant to write few sentences, but ended up going on a diatribe (as you can already tell, I'm a Bio-nerd). But lemme just break down what I said, it might be more useful.

-Lemons are natural; just because they're natural doesn't mean they don't contain chemicals (water is a chemical, you know).
-Lemons contain lots of citric acid
-grapefruits and oranges contain less citric acid and may work well for people with very sensitive skin
-Citric acid:
-Helps dead skin slough off faster
-Helps increase collagen production: breaks down scar tissue, fills in depressed spots, makes skin more supple.
-Helps decrease melanin production: skin discoloration, freckles, sun spots, age spots, melasma fade quicker
-Citric acid can "burn" your skin. Know your skin, and make sure not to overdo.
-Use sunscreen in conjunction with lemon juice: citric acid sloughs off dead cells, leaving less of a protective barrier. The younger cells may not be mature enough to withstand environmental effects.
-Just because lemons may work well doesn't mean commercial products don't work.

Finally, I feel like I should mention that I stumbled on this product review. I feel silly for not thinking of using lemon juice for my skin earlier. I have occasion cystic acne, acne scars, and a little melasma. Citric acid should help with all of these conditions. I used some last night, and again tonight. I'll keep you posted on how it works for me!

236 out of 240 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2011 2:42:00 AM More reviews by Nicola21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've only been using this for just under a week but I really couldn't wait to review it. I use it 1-2 times a day, sometimes only in the morning but sometimes at night too. I just take a quarter of a lemon and squeeze it into a clean bowl and apply to freshly cleansed skin with a cotton ball...and it freaking burns and itches but that goes away after a couple mins so bare with it. I then leave it on my skin for about ten mins then rinse off with warm water. I've noticed that in these couple days it has lightened my acne scars slightly, I haven't gotten as many new pimples and the current ones seem to be fading. Overall my skin just looks healthier....I just hope this improvement continues...will update if needed. Most of all I love the fact that its natural!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No