April 21, 2014 | 1856 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet PLUS Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2012 4:25:00 AM More reviews by Lakkert

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin and this is the first foundation i have tired that stays on my face the entire day. I'd say the coverage is medium-full, and it makes my oily and acne covered face look flawless. The color is perfect (30) and it has a gorgeous matte finish. I also love the practical packaging and that it does not break my out. This is just the perfect foundation for me, no cons! I higly recomend this to people with oily/acne prone skin, and I will absolutley repurchase! :)

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by jsc0215

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

MAC SFF/Powder: NC35/C35
MUFE Mat Velvet+: 40
MUFE HD: 127
Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H: 410 Bisque W
___________________________________________________
My skin tone is a light/tan and my undertone is cool, but VERY, VERY yellow. A dime-sized spot on my forehead is always dry and flaking, as is a half-dollar size spot on my chin. My nose and upper lip are always slicking oil. My cheeks and jaw line are normal. My skin is extremely sensitive and acne prone (especially during TTOTM).

I'm on the hunt for my HG foundation. I wanted a long-lasting foundation with very yellow undertones (moreso than SFF's). I REALLY wanted to love Mat Velvet+ after hearing MakeupByTiffanyD's and FrmHeadtoToe's constant raves... but I couldn't- I can't.

The product applied fine and looked flawless but it definitely exaggerated the dry spots on my face. Also, although I was matched to and bought the #40 (which is supposedly the most yellow product in this line), it looked beige/grey on my skin and was not yellow enough. Boo.

Most importantly, the reason why I had to return the foundation was that it broke me out on my upper lip (where I NEVER, EVER get breakouts) and my chin (where I got THREE CYSTIC ACNES- one of which was the size of a QUARTER- A QUARTER!!!!!!). And yes, I do blame the foundation because nothing else in my skin routine had changed for YEARS other than switching out from SFF to MV+.

_____________
Pros:
- travel-friendly packaging
- applies well
- covers all acne spots and redness well
- looks great in photos

Cons:
- price!!!!!
- no pump
- broke me out BADLY
- not yellow enough (but that may be a pro or con depending on the person)
- exaggerated dry spots

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2012 11:35:00 PM More reviews by LolaLovely

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a product more appropriate for special occasions than for everyday wear. Firstly, when you are matched in the right shade, it comes out very nicely in photographs (both natural light and flash). Secondly, it is very resilient when a setting powder is applied over it--you can sweat it out on the dance floor, and this will remain close to pristine. However, there are unfortunate consequences--it is a bit too good to be true. It has caused me some of the worst breakouts I have ever had--the secret of its resilience is that it blocks your skin's moisture from escaping; all of that sweat clogs up the pores and causes whiteheads, blackheads, and cysts. It wouldn't be such a good idea to use it long term--it is not breathable and it is drying.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2012 11:29:00 AM More reviews by dauncey07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a forever trying new foundations kind of gal, well, until I find thee "one" which I have yet to come across *sigh* Although, I do come across ones that I seem to enjoy for a little while until my skin for some reason begins to break out, or becomes super shiny after an hour or so. I swear my skin just does this to me on purpose, ugh. Anyways after reading quite a few reviews on here on this foundation I decided to give it a try (it was between this and the powder formula) First off, good grief on the price ... I got this, and the setting powder @ Sephora in Canada ($75 later) Yikes! And the foundation bottle isn't even that big? I sure hope it lasts me awhile (I use it pretty much every day) Squeeze bottle is a bonus, definitely great for product control. Coverage is good, actually it's pretty darn good. I have acne scars and it covers them well. Color selection is really good as well, wide range. Lasting power I would say is ok ... but I am a difficult lady to please. Honestly. I have oily skin, like super oily skin and this holds up pretty good. My only complaint about its lasting power is the fact that it rubs off on everything, my phone, clothes, etc. But you get that with many, if not all foundations. Give this a try if you're looking for a foundation with good coverage, and you have oily skin. It keeps you matte for a good portion of the day, just be careful when applying because it tends to dry quickly.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2012 2:27:00 AM More reviews by jesslovescurry

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love how this is matte and stays on much longer than the MUFE HD. I also love the color choices and the yellow undertones. I'm 155-160. It photographs beautifully but it does not really have long wearing power. However, Mac and Tarte have foundations that are thicker in consistency and cover 80% of scarring. But, for everyday use, this one is much healthier with its very thin consistency.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2012 1:43:00 AM More reviews by ChaCha_83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Recommended by most user for oily/acne prone skin. My shade is 40 suitable for yellow skintone (MAC NC20-25). The good side is that it looks matte but not overly flat matte imo. If you use any moisturizer or lotion underneath it may look glowy. The texture is medium but able to go to full coverage. I find this covers well on my acne scars. Smooth application which is nice. The matte look does not look patchy or overly drying. The downside is the performances. I don't see this last long on my extreme oily skin even I apply primer. It looks great the first 3-4 hrs, but it slowly fades after that. I do have breakouts when using this but occasionally. Overall is not bad if you have normal to combination skin. Maybe not so oily skin. If you're prone to acne due to ingredients, silicons and fragrances you may want to try a sample first. Otherwise get something better that worth the money and acne-free.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/5/2012 6:06:00 PM More reviews by MagicMirrorOnTheWall

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a pretty good foundation but definitely not the best that I have tried. This foundation is great at correcting tones (with a medium to buildable coverage, also could easily be sheered out), has a great staying power and the finish of the product itself is beautiful. HOWEVER, if your problem has to do anything with texture, I'd say you should pass this one up. I've had acne since high school like most other teens but weirdly the severity of my acne problem was drastically increased when I came to college. I don't mean a few zits here and there. I mean angry red breakouts on my forehead, cheeks (especially), chin and even on my temples. The countless breakouts have left ugly dent like scars that actually sink in at some spots. I've noticed that this foundation covers the redness of the active breakouts and dark spots very well but really sinks into those dent-like scars. I've tried to use it on top of the benefit pore-fessional, the loreal studio secrets primer (in the jar), benefit that gal, and cover fx anti-acne primer with different applicators like the traditional foundation brush, buffer brushes, the beauty blender, sponge wedges and hands. However, the foundation sunk into the scars every time. Of course with texture problems like mine, most foundations will sink into the dents but this foundation seemed to exaggerate the uneven texture of my skin. I can see this happening with wrinkles and fine lines too, for the more mature skin. The best result that I got with this foundation was when I applied it with a damp beauty blender sponge on top of the pore-fessional finished off with the mac fix + finishing spray (with concealer, no powder) but it was still not completely satisfying. I feel as if this could be a great foundation for a lot of other girls but it just wasn't for me. It is just too bad because I like every other thing about it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2012 4:47:00 PM More reviews by itsiliii

PROS
-Decent coverage, NOT intensive but will even out redness.
-Beautiful texture! You cant feel it, and it leaves your skin all velvety and smooth, you dont have to powder, but i do add some powder to my extra oily areas
-I love the bottle! It makes it so easy to apply to my face and is super sanitary :D
-Good color match, I hate it when foundations pull pink on my skin...talk about fake
-Hasnt irritated my skin and although there is some fragrance in the formula its nothing overpowering
-Doesnt cling to dry patches too fiercely considering its a matte formula
-Looks so natural again despite the matte finish :)

CONS
-I wish it had a tad more staying powder on my skin, but i guess my skin is too oily for almost anything :(
-Goes oily rather quick on my face despite being matte?

Best for ladies with normal or only slightly oily skin

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2012 10:32:00 AM More reviews by jasthill

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ladies: I have THE oiliest skin in the world... We're talking the BP Oil Spill here. On my face. All day. Everyday. I also have moderate, hereditary acne, so it has always been a struggle for me to find something that would cover my multiple blemishes and stay on my greasy skin. I have tried every drugstore foundation possible, multiple times (yes, especially the high raved on Revlon Colorstay which I hate) and nothing has ever worked for me. I finally decided after at least 7 years of wearing makeup, that it was time for me to try a high-end foundation and see if I could maybe find my holy grail product there. I have read hundreds of reviews on the best high-end foundations (liquid, creme, powder) for super oily skin, and read mostly good things about Make Up For Ever's Mat Velvet Plus. I went out on a limb and tried it and it is potentially the best decision I have ever made.

Let me lay this out for you: normally I would have to blot my foundation (set with a powder) about an hour or two after application. With the MUFE Mat Velvet +, I can go at least 7 without even having to worry about blotting, and even then there is hardly anything to bloy. I have literally gone down from blotting 4-5 times a day, to just once, perhaps twice a day. IT IS A MIRACLE. After I would put on my Revlon Colorstay, I couldn't even touch my skin without setting it with a powder first because it felt so sticky and wet on my face. With MUFE's Mat Velvet +, my oily, acne-filled skin really does feel like velvet right after I put it on. And OH MY LORD THE COVERAGE ! This foundation covers like a mother. I am talking my big, red, cycstic pimples, little ones, acne scars, under eye circles, the whole sha-bam is no where to be seen after I put on this foundation. And the best part is, the foundation is NOT thick or cakey, it actually feels like my skin. I still set the Mat Velvet + with a powder since I work all day and don't have time for touch ups. I use Make Up For Ever's Duo Mat Powder Foundation to set the liquid foundation, and I also use Urban Decay's Setting Spray on my face after I moisturize (before I put on any makeup) and after I have finished all of my foundation.

The only slight negative comment I have about this foundation is how it can really set in my pores and look more like mini splotches all over my face rather than a nice, even finish. With that being said, I know that it is because of te Urban Decay De-Slick spray that I spritz on my face before and after this foundation, because that it where the splotches are (I'm now hunting for another type of spray setter). Also, random patches of my face have become much more dry, making the foundation dry and cake up around certai spots. Again, with that being said, I ONLY get this way whenever I put Make Up For Ever's Duo Mat Powder Foundation on top of this liquid foundation, and the Urban Decay De-Slick contributes to this unevenness as well. With just the liquid, I've never ever had a problem. The only reason I use a powder or the spritz setter on top it to help prolong my oil-free face. So Make Up For Ever's Mat Velvet Plus is God sent, but I'm struggling to find the right products to help set this (though it last 4-5 hours without me getting oily alone).

At my local Sephora (in the states), the Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet Plus liquid foundation was $36 and the Duo Mat Powder Foundation was $36. The Urban Decay Setting Spray was pricey, $12 for a small 2 oz. bottle, but works good. This all added up to be $82, plus tax. I know that's really expensive, especially if you're a broke college kid like me. I will say, however, despite the price that all of these individually resonably priced items add up to be is WELL WORTH IT because of the amazing confidence I have now. Seriously, if you have crazzzzzzzy, super oily skin (with or without pretty bad acne like I have) then this product is for YOU !!!

xx jas.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2012 10:03:00 AM More reviews by littlemj

NC25 Chinese. #30 pulled too pink for my skin.