Oatmeal Mask

Price: $

INCI: Water/Aqua, Avena Sativa (Oat) Flour, Mel (Honey), Tocopheryl Acetate

on 7/6/2009 7:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I've been using oatmeal in a variety of ways for years. It really is amazing for the skin. I used to just use it as a mask with honey or put it in an old piece of cut up nylons and tie it up in to a ball and throw it into my bath. It is very soothing and moisturizing and has never disappointed. Recently I've been using it to exfoliate and it seems much gentler to my skin. I like to leave a little of the oatmeal "juice" on my skin after cleansing because it is so soothing and softening. I love it. It's another one of nature's wonders. Why is it that we waste thousands of dollars on chemical products when our cabinets are full of wholesome things for our skin?? Beats me. Oatmeal's terrific!

on 6/29/2009 2:47:00 PM

I've had it with exfolliants and home microdermabrasions. I've tried 'em all. I admit to probably overusing them and misusing them. When my DBF asks "Have you been exfolliating again?" because my face looks painfully red and is painful and takes a few days to recover with hydrocortisone after each exfolliation...well, I give up. I understand the importance of sloughing off old skin cells, but my skin just seems too sensitive for any commercial products. So I decided to try plain old oatmeal. A couple times a week, I remove my makeup, mix some oatmeal in warm water and slather it on my face. While it dries, I use
the many exfolliants I have collected on my feet! Then I shower, and have a smooth, non-irritated face and smooth feet too!

on 4/6/2009 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I love using oatmeal! Its so versatile, cheap and effective. Anytime my skin is feeling raw, itchy, or irritated, I use 1/8c baby oatmeal (it dissolves and mixes easier and has the same qualities/pureness as regular oatmeal without the hassles), 1 tbs avocado oil (real avocado works great too, or any oil you want), and 2 tsps honey. Mix it up and schmear it on for 15 min and rinse. For moisturizing or mild exfoliation, 1/8c baby oatmeal, 1tbs plain greek yogurt or powdered milk, and 1-2 tsps honey. When my pores are looking huge and my skin dull, I add the juice of a lemon (don't put on open spots). Any oatmeal mask also works great as a scrub by just leaving it on for shorter time so it doesn't dry completely, then gently rub it off. The longer it dries, the more of a scrub you'll get so its easy to adjust to how your skin feels today. One thing though (since summers comin'...for those who use self-tanners...the yogurt or lemon juice will mostly remove any 'tan' you've got. Great if you want to undo a tan or had streaky/splotchy results as it takes it off evenly. Not so great if you've taken a few days to build up some color and are happy with the results.

on 3/25/2009 12:40:00 PM

Sadly, I get sucked in with the newest latest facial treatments/masques/cleansers with slick marketing and I forget that cheapest is sometimes the best. I grind oatmeal in my coffee grinder, use as a face scrub, mixed with yogurt and honey as a masque, in my bath with a few drops of lavender oil to sooth my skin. It is always sitting patiently in my cupboard and when I use it I know that my skin is not absorbing artificial chemicals/perfumes/toxins.

on 3/23/2009 4:02:00 PM

I take a piece of fabric, pour a cup or two of oatmeal in the center, and tie it up (tightly) with a rubber band or two.

Then I use this in the bath, squishing out the oatmeal as I bathe. I use this on my face, too, and the fabric works nicely as a scrubber, if desired.

I've had even better luck mixing regular oatmeal with oat flour from the health-food store.

This fabric-ball keeps your tub/sink very tidy, you just get the wonderful healing/moisturizing benefits of the oatmeal without the mess.

on 2/26/2009 8:15:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I used ground oatmeal exclusively to clean my face for about 6 months, several years ago. Often I would grind up lavender buds, rose petals or chamomile with it -- just kept a jar of it next to the shower, reached out and shook a pile in my palm, then wet it and scrubbed away for a minute or so.

It did a good job. I stopped using it for one reason or another, probably just that I got bored because I'm like that, but if I was somewhere where I couldn't find an adequately gentle soap on hand I'd use oatmeal again, sure.

on 2/24/2009 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I tried oatmeal as a face mask and didn't notice any difference the way my face looked like.What I did is stir 2 tbsp oatmeal with 1 tsp of honey by adding a little bit of milk and water.I spread it all over my face and let it sit for about 30 min.,then rinsed it off.I didn't notice any difference in texture of my face,maybe my skin appeared just a little bit smoother than usually is.Maybe I did something wrong,maybe I had to use grounded oatmeal,because I didn't.Next time I will try oatmeal as a face scrub.As a face mask, it didn't do a lot.
Actually,this is awsome stuff.What I did different than before is that I used GROUNDED oatmeal {grounded in coffe grinder}.I use it every single day and night {sometimes just once a day} AFTER I cleanse my face with face wash {I use it just as I would use Dermalogica's Daily Microfoliant,because I like idea of gentle daily exfoliation}.I mix 1 tsp with water to make a paste, just spread it all over my face and wait until I brush my teeth.Then I add small amount of water and massage a little bit for gentle exfoliation,then rinse it off thoroughly.What I get? Calm,refreshed and glowing skin,bealive me or not.It isn't nothing dramatic and doesn't work like miracle,but I see difference.Since I started to do this every single day and night,my skin has improved.Even my pores appear a little bit smaller.I don't know if oatmeal made it or just idea of daily gentle exfoliation,or maybe some other new skin product I started to use, but my semi-large pores really appear smaller,even my Mum noticed that,yeeeeeeey :P.And that's the reason good enough to keep going with it.
Hey girls,I might sound like crazy,insane,mental retard but I tried yesterday finely grounded oatmeal as a loose powder :O ..LOL..I really did..Well my regular loose powder falled on the flor yesterday,and spelled all arround the place.And I needed quick replacement.Grounded oatmeal first popped up from my crazy mind,because jar of grounded oatmeal is always somewhere arround.I took powder brush and just roll over oatmeal powder,blow off a little bit oatmeal powder from brush {did I spell it correctly?,sorry;my bad English},and spreaded over my foundation.I really looked like I fall into fluor at first,lol,but I toroughly took residue off with cotton/paper towel,and that was it.I was pretty suprised,I liked immidiatelly the way my face looked like.It was totally oil free,without shiny greasy look,my face really looked a lot smoother almost poreless.And my first thought after that was like yeah,right I am imaginaging,how come grounded oatmeal could be better than any pricy/fancy powder I've ever tried.BUT,my mom immediatelly saw a difference on my face and asked me what I did,so that was enough for me.Well,It might be just my fresh look that day,because I slept the day before really long,lol..I will try few more times to see if it really works.Also,I must say this wouldn't probably work for dark skin ladies,only for pale skin like mine is.I will say again: It is really important to take residue off with cotton or paper towel.
I just hope I will get the same effect it gave me yesterday.Aslo,can someone answer me PM,If grounded oatmeal will clogg my pores If I continue to use it this way?Thank You.
Aslo,It might not work for You guys,but I saw {and my mom} the difference,and I just hope It wasn't 'one day miracle' or my fresh skin that day..lol..At least,You can try it,You have nothing to lose.I would really appreciate if someone could answer me PM if this really worked for them {If anyone even dare to try this my crazy idea},as well If this will clogg my pores. Thx
I might sound like crazy,but I found myself to reach out more and more for oatmeal as loose powder,lol.I just like effect it gives me.I don't dare to tell my friends about this my crazy idea,because they will probably think I'm insane.I don't wanna embaress myself,lol.But I will keep going with this incognito,lol.
I'm still using it as a face powder :-O lol.I just like effect it gives me.

on 1/28/2009 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This mask looks like vomit on my face, it made a mess all over my bathroom, and even when i washed it off there was a thick residue all over my face. (I actually think I left it on too long :] )

But by the time I scrubbed the residue off, HOLY CRAP was my face sooooooft. I have combination skin, and this mask was AMAZING. A little ground up oatmeal, water, and plain yogurt-my zits were dried up, my red spots were soothed, my cheeks were smooth and my skin's overall texture improved. Even my mom noticed!

I'm going to have to use this on a regular basis from now on.

The main ingredients are ground up oatmeal, honey and milk...I love this because it does soften your skin. I use this as a body scrub too! The only downside is its super messy...the ground up oatmeal can clog up your sink so I apply the mask, leave it on for 15mintues, then stand in the shower scrub down my entire body, hit the water to rinse everything off...tada! Smooth skin from head to toe and not so messy!

Love oatmeal masks! I grind up Quaker Old Fashioned Oats in a spice grinder and add a bit of honey and water to form a paste. Spread it on and leave it for 10-15 minutes. My skin was so super soft and this morning it's even better.
I'm adding this to my regimen at least once a week.
Hooray for inexpensive skin care!!

Video Reviews & Tutorials