December 22, 2014 | 1263 users online

Mascara - Mary Kay - Ultimate Mascara

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2006 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Meaninc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I hesitated to a review on this product because I am such a fan of MK and it hurts me to write a bad review, however the truth must be told. First let me state that I am so hurt that MK discontinued my HG mascara, endless performance. That was like a genie in a bottle for my eyelashes. This ultimate mascara was supposed to replace endless performance. I was so excited when I received this product last Thursday, mainly because of all of the rave reviews you ladies have posted about this product. I thought, wow what could ever be better than the endless performance mascara? Apparently not this. and to think they charge twice as much for this than the endless performance. This mascara is much thicker than what I like, almost like clinique hign impact, but only without the dramatic impact. When I put the first coat on my lashes I didn't notice anything but darkened lashes. The second coat made my lashes stick together. Instead of my lashes being fanned out like the endless performance did this grouped my lashes into 5 sections. And to make matters worse, I lost several lashes while trying to remove this crap and even when applying. Also, the so called "smart wiper technology" that is suppised to prevent clumping apparently was out to lunch when I tried this because all I got was clumps. Basically I had a big gooey, clumpy, and smudgey mess on my eyes after only 3 coats. I could go 5 to 6 coats with the endless perfomance without clumping or smudging. This ultimate mascara is an ultimate disappointment for me. I am returning this to my MK rep on monday in exchange for all of the endless performance she has in stock. MK should really learn that old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and bring endless performance back.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2006 2:53:00 PM More reviews by sherylal24

Well, I tried this mascara and I was dissapointed. I really had to put on a few coats before I noticed any volume and it also clumped. Unless you have the time to work with this, or if you have thick lashes to begin with, than this probably won't work for you. I had much better luck with Beyond Long mascara by Prescriptives. I love Mary Kay products but their mascaras don't seem to work for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2006 7:43:00 PM More reviews by chattykathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, maybe all the fab reviews had me expecting too much here. This was a decent mascara. There was nothing I didn't like about it. It wore well, no flaking, no clumping...BUT....where was the length?? This gave my lashes lots of volume but did not really do anything for length. If you are the kind of girl that wants to fatten up your lashes you will really like this but if you are looking for dramatic long lashes this will be a disappointment for you. I guess I'm more of a diva than I thought. I like my YSL faux cils and my Guerlain enticing eyes. Those are my HG mascaras and both give a tremedous volume and lenghthening combo,very false lashlike. I will use this tube up till it's gone but I will not rebuy MK ultimate mascara. L'oreal voluminous does the same thing really, and gives a lot more length than this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2006 7:01:00 PM More reviews by semarie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just received a sample tube of this and see this becoming a HG mascara!!! One coat and I had false eyelashes! I love the volume, the length it gave my lashes, the non-clumpiness of it, non-wateriness of it. I love, love, love this mascara.>>>> update 12-13-06...been using this for a year now and this and Prescriptives lash envy are major HG's!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2006 12:14:00 PM More reviews by yoopergirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the mascara I have been searching for. Makes my lashes look long, thick, and full but yet not overly done up. My lashes feel soft and natural even with 3 coats of this mascara on. I love the elegant container. I adore the brush!!!!!! Coats every lash evenly no matter how many, or how few coats you apply. No running, no flaking, no smudging.....and eventhough it stays on all day, it is relatively easy to remove with cleanser and water. I am not a fan of Mary Kay products in general, but I will buy this over and over again. It is my HG mascara. And $15 isn't all that much for a mascara. I've seen Wal-mart selling some brands for up to $10.99.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2006 4:48:00 PM More reviews by beaglebaileysmom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh no, I'm going to be the nay-sayer again. This is just an ordinary mascara. Maybe you set my expectations too high? It's fine but not outstanding--doesn't give the racoon look, which is my main criterium for mascara. But it does clump a little and flake a little, and there are plenty of equally good mascaras for a third of the price. Such as: Rimmel Extra Super Lash, Neutrogena Weightless Volume, Maybelline Full and Soft. The one thing this has over those is no animal testing. That might be enough to make me buy it again someday, but first I'm going to see if Revlon has anything. EDIT: My new suspicion is that those 5-lippy reviews are coming from people who tried the samples. I tried a full-size tube. Could this be another product where the sample is great to hook you in, but then they cut corners on the full size? EDIT AGAIN: Revlon definitely had something! I wholeheartedly endorse Fabulash! If you try it, make sure not to get the waterproof variety--I hear it is not as good. See my Fabulash review for more details.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2005 8:06:00 PM More reviews by SuzyCutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Just bought this today,and I highly reccomend it. MK is pretty underrated,imho,I think the over zealousness of the consultants turn people off.A shame,because the product line is well made and reasonably priced. This does not clump at all-even appltying numerous coats and over a primer.My lashes looked full and long, very bat worthy.Packaging is a sleek silver case,very elegant.I'm so glad they did away with the kitschy pink.MK herself wasn't even a fan of pink;it was some type of marketing tool.Anyway,I digress.Yes,it's a bit more $ than the others,but mascaras at the drugstore are getting up there!(See L'Oreal and their $13 so-not-worth-it mascara).Also,there is a money back guarantee so if you're not enamored with it you won't be stuck.This also wears well but comes off fairly easy.I agree with the previous poster-thank goodness they expanded the shade selection!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2005 9:52:00 AM More reviews by SusieQ40

I have been using this now for about a week and was trying hard to find something not to like about it! But it really is like the perfect mascara. The price is $15, so even though it is pricey, it still costs much less than the Lancome mascaras. The packaging is also very sleek and modern. What I love about this is that just one coat finds all the tiny lashes and makes all of my lashes look long and lush. It feels soft, not hard and stiff. It does not flake. I do not even need to curl my lashes with this mascara. I love that Mary Kay has this in Black/Brown and Black because Black/Brown is perfect for me, they used to just have Black or Brown. Last night when taking off my makeup before bed I thought it was a shame to have to take it off because it still looked just like when I put it on in the morning. Highly recommend this mascara!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2005 1:25:00 PM More reviews by Jen423

I am a MK rep and was TOTALLY skeptical about this product. I decided to give it a fair shot and OMG!!! I cannot believe my lashes!!! I also cannot believe I am writing a review about mascara... ha ha... who would have thought? This stuff is super black and coats evenly, no clumping, lengthens lashes and is just amazing. Worth every cent. My lashes are pretty nice to start with (yes, I'm lucky) and this mascara made them look "wow". I am looking forward to using the Ultimate mascara for years to come! Best MK product to come out in a long time!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2005 7:27:00 PM More reviews by angelbaby111

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I read one of the comments here and I had to laugh. Someone wrote that "its rediculous how well this product works". Funny, because I said the exact SAME THING! If you want lashes, long, non-clumpy lashes, without flaking, you must get this mascara! I don't know how, or why, but this is the absolute hands down best mascara I have ever, ever used! Period. I don't have long lashes, and even curling them doesn't do the trick. But one sweep of this stuff and WOW! Let's put it this way, my husband noticed...do I have so say anything else!!??