Mary Kay Ultimate Mascara

3.7

on 1/24/2006 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have been coming to this site for about a year and have never written a review, but this product calls for one after seeing so many bad reviews. I was never a hard core mascara person , i would use it to finish my look, but it wasn't essential like it is to lots of women. I previously used the endless performance(and many others) and it was fine, but nothing specia. when i tried this, i was amazed...really, it gives me false-looking lashes. My eyes are so much brighter and it really pulls together my makeup...it is so good. I am extremely suprised to see all of the bad reviews. I would definately consider it my HG mascara...

on 1/24/2006 4:17:00 PM

I really love this mascara. For me it lengthened and gave volume. I really liked how well it came off, I know, I know I am suppose to use an eye make-up
remover but sometimes I am lazy this mascara came off with cleanser without the racoon eyes. My lashes are also very soft not stiff and cakey. I will buy again.

on 1/23/2006 11:25:00 AM

Sadly, this didn't work for me. It flaked and I lost lashes. It burned my sensitive eyes (I wear hard gas permeable contacts).

on 1/23/2006 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I was really hoping this was THE ONE! It's not. Another "thickening" mascara that does NOT do the job. My curled lashes uncurled. It took 4 coats to get any volume at all. The ultimate insult was when my husband asked if I was done putting my make-up on. He's used to seeing full lashes. Back to Lash Out or Lash Architect...until something better comes along.
It's been 5 days. This stuff gets worse. Lashes clumped together. Messy smears. I really HATE this stuff. Into the garbage!

on 1/21/2006 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

I hesitated to a review on this product because I am such a fan of MK and it hurts me to write a bad review, however the truth must be told. First let me state that I am so hurt that MK discontinued my HG mascara, endless performance. That was like a genie in a bottle for my eyelashes. This ultimate mascara was supposed to replace endless performance. I was so excited when I received this product last Thursday, mainly because of all of the rave reviews you ladies have posted about this product. I thought, wow what could ever be better than the endless performance mascara? Apparently not this. and to think they charge twice as much for this than the endless performance. This mascara is much thicker than what I like, almost like clinique hign impact, but only without the dramatic impact. When I put the first coat on my lashes I didn't notice anything but darkened lashes. The second coat made my lashes stick together. Instead of my lashes being fanned out like the endless performance did this grouped my lashes into 5 sections. And to make matters worse, I lost several lashes while trying to remove this crap and even when applying. Also, the so called "smart wiper technology" that is suppised to prevent clumping apparently was out to lunch when I tried this because all I got was clumps. Basically I had a big gooey, clumpy, and smudgey mess on my eyes after only 3 coats. I could go 5 to 6 coats with the endless perfomance without clumping or smudging. This ultimate mascara is an ultimate disappointment for me. I am returning this to my MK rep on monday in exchange for all of the endless performance she has in stock. MK should really learn that old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and bring endless performance back.

on 1/15/2006 2:53:00 PM

Well, I tried this mascara and I was dissapointed. I really had to put on a few coats before I noticed any volume and it also clumped. Unless you have the time to work with this, or if you have thick lashes to begin with, than this probably won't work for you. I had much better luck with Beyond Long mascara by Prescriptives. I love Mary Kay products but their mascaras don't seem to work for me.

on 1/11/2006 7:43:00 PM

Well, maybe all the fab reviews had me expecting too much here. This was a decent mascara. There was nothing I didn't like about it. It wore well, no flaking, no clumping...BUT....where was the length?? This gave my lashes lots of volume but did not really do anything for length. If you are the kind of girl that wants to fatten up your lashes you will really like this but if you are looking for dramatic long lashes this will be a disappointment for you. I guess I'm more of a diva than I thought. I like my YSL faux cils and my Guerlain enticing eyes. Those are my HG mascaras and both give a tremedous volume and lenghthening combo,very false lashlike. I will use this tube up till it's gone but I will not rebuy MK ultimate mascara. L'oreal voluminous does the same thing really, and gives a lot more length than this.

on 1/10/2006 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

I just received a sample tube of this and see this becoming a HG mascara!!! One coat and I had false eyelashes! I love the volume, the length it gave my lashes, the non-clumpiness of it, non-wateriness of it. I love, love, love this mascara.>>>> update 12-13-06...been using this for a year now and this and Prescriptives lash envy are major HG's!!!

on 1/9/2006 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is the mascara I have been searching for. Makes my lashes look long, thick, and full but yet not overly done up. My lashes feel soft and natural even with 3 coats of this mascara on. I love the elegant container. I adore the brush!!!!!! Coats every lash evenly no matter how many, or how few coats you apply. No running, no flaking, no smudging.....and eventhough it stays on all day, it is relatively easy to remove with cleanser and water. I am not a fan of Mary Kay products in general, but I will buy this over and over again. It is my HG mascara. And $15 isn't all that much for a mascara. I've seen Wal-mart selling some brands for up to $10.99.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Oh no, I'm going to be the nay-sayer again. This is just an ordinary mascara. Maybe you set my expectations too high? It's fine but not outstanding--doesn't give the racoon look, which is my main criterium for mascara. But it does clump a little and flake a little, and there are plenty of equally good mascaras for a third of the price. Such as: Rimmel Extra Super Lash, Neutrogena Weightless Volume, Maybelline Full and Soft. The one thing this has over those is no animal testing. That might be enough to make me buy it again someday, but first I'm going to see if Revlon has anything. EDIT: My new suspicion is that those 5-lippy reviews are coming from people who tried the samples. I tried a full-size tube. Could this be another product where the sample is great to hook you in, but then they cut corners on the full size? EDIT AGAIN: Revlon definitely had something! I wholeheartedly endorse Fabulash! If you try it, make sure not to get the waterproof variety--I hear it is not as good. See my Fabulash review for more details.