Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 4/15/2013 10:29:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

One of the best all around beauty products I've ever invested in, Coconut Oil has yet to disappoint me no matter how I use it. Originally, I bought it to mix with other ingredients and make a hair mask, but I quickly found that just by itself, Coconut Oil has made my thick, damaged, unruly hair healthier, softer and shinier. I use it about once a week as a mask and then shampoo and condition as usual. If you have very thin hair, I suggest using minimal amounts and only on your ends, as I have found if you don't wash it out properly it does make your hair quite greasy, but I feel that's expected when putting any kind of oil on your hair. To my surprise, I didn't find the scent very strong at all. I love coconut scents, so it wouldn't bother me anyway, but Coconut Oil doesn't have an overwhelming scent. I've used it for cooking, skin moisturizer in the winter, and it makes an EXCELLENT lip moisturizer. I sometimes substitute it for chapstick or vaseline because it tastes great and really makes your lips soft. Also, I sometimes use this to wash off my eye makeup. It works like a charm. The only thing I'd say is that you should be sure to wash it all off after if using it to remove makeup, or it will leave a residue that's hard to put fresh makeup on over it the next day.

A fantastic product, I will never stop purchasing!

on 4/15/2013 5:46:00 AM

I want to love coconut oil, I want to reap the wonderful benefits other people rave about but I'm just not getting them? What am I doing wrong? In my hair it just made it lank for days after despite a few washes? It also has a distinct burning smell to me, I've tried a couple of brands I could get hold of here in Middle East but both the same a faint horrible burning smell. On my skin it made me itch like crazy, it's so greasy and that layer of slick oil it leaves behind just really makes me feel yucky! If anyone has any suggestions let me know I so want to love this product.

on 4/13/2013 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It works for some people, but not for me.

I never used it on my acne since it's comedogenic, but I would put it around my eyes as an eye cream... all it did was irritate them.

I put it on my hair... I have low porosity hair; basically, most oils or moisture treatments will sit on top of my hair instead of soaking into it. I couldn't get it out.

If you have high porosity hair, it would probably work for you, though... information here: http://www.lacocobella.com/2012/04/11/hair-porosity-its-kind-of-a-big-deal/

I tried to eat the stuff... I didn't really care for the taste and it always made me sick to my stomach. Every time I used it as a lotion my skin would get itchy. Maybe I'm allergic to it or something.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

The main reason why I love this product is because it's so versatile. It can be used for skin, hair, and I've also used it to clear up a stubborn diaper rash on my daughter. If you put this on your hair after you wash it, it can make it greasy so I put it all over my hair and leave it on for about 20 minutes, and then wash and condition like normal and my hair ends up really soft.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This review is only for my experiences in using coconut oil on my HAIR.

My hair is naturally fine. I have an oily scalp and my ends are prone to drying, but nothing crazy.
I've used coconut oil as a weekly pre-wash treatment for a few months and it has made my hair so silky smooth and shiny. I put a small bowl with oil into warm water, melt it and spread it all over my hair. I just don't put it directly on my scalp. I try to leave it in for at least a few hours, preferably 4-6 hours.
It is a bit hard to wash out, especially if I use a sulphate-free shampoo, but I do find that 2-3 good shampooings take everything out.
From the first use I noticed my hair was getting softer, but the real results came about a month or two later.
I have never had such healthy, shiny and silky hair. It's so easy to comb it out, I practically have no split ends and the general condition of my hair is pretty great.

I haven't tried using it on my face or body because my skin is oily and prone to breakouts and the stories of big acne caused by this oil have scared me enough. And besides, I have a good skincare routine that helps keep my acne at bay (thank you Paula's Choice 2% BHA lotion).

However, I will keep using and repurchasing it for my hair because the results have really been stunning.
Also, I always check to see I am buying the virgin, unrefined, cold pressed version.

on 4/13/2013 6:17:00 PM

This is my favourite moisturiser I've ever used. I've been using it for around 6 months now.. I use it on my face morning and night and sometimes as a body lotion. As a face moisturiser it's perfect. I don't know why I ever used anything else since they all have chemicals etc in them and whatever you put on your skin goes into your blood stream so you should be able to eat whatever you put on your skin!

Anyway it's not just that it's healthier, it's the results that I like.. it's the perfect amount of moisture. It makes my skin slightly glowy and dewy and just seem naturally perfect. I used to have combination skin with dry forehead and cheek patches and oily T-zone but I'd have to say that my skin is now normal, no oiliness or dryness. And on top of it it's affordable and cheap. And one thing that surprised me is that I can wear it under makeup no problem, I just have to give it some time to sink in and dry a bit before I put it on.

Also it has never made me break out as some people seem to have experienced. Maybe those people used refined instead of extra virgin?

I know it's good to eat/take internally too but for some reason I find the texture disgusting and gag every time I try to eat it. I'm trying to find a way to take it, maybe put it in a smoothie or something.

Oh and another thing I noticed is that my lashes got longer and softer and I'm pretty sure it's because I slather it on my face at night, including my eyelashes!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Been using this for about a month and can see a total different positive improvement in my skin. I been also using the oil as a scrub with sugar. And I love how wonderful my skin looks when I am done. Overall, I love this.

on 4/8/2013 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I love using coconut oil on my hair and body. It's also great for healthy cooking. But I am really writing here to warn the younger girls with problematic skin NOT TO USE THIS ON YOUR FACE. I tried coconut oil on my face last summer when I had a hormonal breakout on my chin. After reading a few amazing reviews about coconut oil and the oil cleansing method on the internet I decided that it's going to fix my skin like a miracle... I couldn't have been more wrong. Coconut oil absolutely wrecked my skin. I broke out all over my face and almost a year after I am still struggling with acne and scarring. And yes I tried the organic extra virgin amazing expensive kind but it does not matter because this oil is on top of all the COMEDOGENIC ingredient lists and is just not right for your skin, especially teenage acne-prone skin. Use it in a hot oil hair treatment, make sweet sugar- coconut oil scrubs, but please don't make the same mistake I did and do your research before using this oil on your face!

on 4/8/2013 3:45:00 PM

Okay I have to write a review for this and I am honestly surprised there are quite a few bad reviews for it. I fear that people writing bad reviews may have gotten a REFINED version of coconut oil and therefore faced tons of problems. Let me inform you that just because it says it's ORGANIC doesn't mean it is VIRGIN or UNREFINED. I made this mistake the first time I purchased coconut oil in the store. It said ORGANIC so I picked it up. Luckily I researched it closer before opening and using it and discovered that unless the package specifically says VIRGIN or UNREFINED organic, then it is indeed REFINED and ALL of the amazing benefits have been removed and nasty fats have been put in their place. SO PLEASE make sure you buy and use the proper coconut oil. I purchased Nutivas Organic Virgin coconut oil on Amazon and I am amazed. I initially bought it to use as a make up remover. It works great. It melts in your hand, I smear it on all over my face and eyelids, rub it in and then remove with a tissue or make up round and then wash my face as usual. It successfully removes all of my make up, even stubborn 24 hour and waterproof. It removes best if you use a tissue to wipe it off afterwards. If you just smear on the oil and then try to rinse it off with water, it isn't going to remove well. I also put a few tablespoons in a hot bath and soak in it. I can still feel the moisturizing effects the next day on my skin. It's amazing at repairing damaged hair and I also put it on my face overnight to soak in on my dry days. It serves as the best shaving cream ever lol. Just put some in the bath and your legs are so smooth that you can shave just like taht. I have yet to use it for cooking, though I am aware of it's many benefits in that area as well. I haven't had any break outs from this, as the true virgin oil does not clog pores or cause breakouts, unless of course you are allergic to it. You make break out initially because this stuff really deep cleans all the gunk that has been built up for years under the surface. So give it a chance!

on 4/8/2013 3:15:00 PM

The other reviewers have done a wonderful and very helpful job explaining the uses of this amazing oil, so I won't try to needlessly repeat what they said. I'm another reviewer singing the praises of coconut oil.
However, one thing I've noticed is that no one's really brought up how amazing it is as shaving cream! I have the most sensitive skin, and shaving is usually a painful ordeal involving nicks, cuts, razorburn, dry patches, and ingrown hairs. Which is surprising, because I've tried so many different razors, creams, and yes, I've tried the conditioner trick. I tried shaving with coconut oil last night, and oh. my. god. YES! My legs are soft, shiny, hairless, and razorburn free! I won't dread shaving anymore! (One note: Shave your legs with the oil in the shower, not in the bath because the oil will solidify on the sides of the tub and it's a pain to get off! Also, be sure to rinse out the blades every 2 or 3 swipes)

In addition to that revelation last night, I use it for so many things. It has replaced butter at our house, for nonstick purposes, stir frying, and even in baking (seriously, replace vegetable oil in brownies with coconut oil!!).
It can be used as a cuticle cream for shinier, stronger nails. I don't so much use it as a lotion, I'm too impatient for it too sink in, but I will use it on my face as a gentle, yet effective makeup remover.

I do have to say that I've tried it dozens of times in my hair, and to my chagrin, it was a total disaster every time. My hair becomes a lifeless oily mess when it dries after rinsing it out. I've used a variety of different clarifying shampoos because I want so badly for it to work on my hair, but the shampoos end up drying out any benefits.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products