Versace Crystal Noir

on 12/5/2004 12:59:00 PM

I got a spritz-sample of this with my Sephora order, as it is something I would never have thought I liked enough to order without smelling it first. Well, I'm sorry to say but I was proven wrong. It's a rich, lush scent with just enough warmth for the colder weather, and like the other reviews state, there is a certain creaminess to this scent. I swear this is not what I thought gardenia smells like (Like Marc Jacobs or the other slew of gardenia fragrances) and I know there is a fruity accord in there somewhere, which adds to the lovely ambiance of the perfume. I adore this new find.

on 12/3/2004 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is my new favorite scent, I absolutley adore it. It is perfect for winter, creamy with a hint of vanilla. It is hard to describe, but it is a sexy light floral, yet seems to be very diverse. I can smell so many wonderful things in this, and it is not strong to me at all, very light and fresh. Oh so yummy! I definitley will purchase this one.

I am not a fan of any of the Versace perfumes, but I must admit I am swept off my feet by this one. Dark, mysterious, lush..you will not quit smelling your wrists!I am a vanilla girl all the way but first chill in the air always sends me searching in Nordstroms for something for fall and winter. This is it! The website just says gardenia and amber...surely there are more notes in it than this. It's creamy, steamy and oh so decadent. Run don't walk to try some for yourself!

A new Sephora opened near me, and I had a box of Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue in my hand when the salesperson accosted me. I was game for an outside opinion, so I asked her if anything new and interesting on the perfume shelf had caught her attention recently. She mentioned Crystal Noir, and admitted that she normally didn't do heavy Orientals, but fell in love with this one because it was so very sexy. She spritzed it on my wrist and I had to agree--it smelled so delicious and wicked and mysterious, that I felt like I needed to shed my jeans and turtleneck and instead slip into a sparkly black slip dress, with diamonds on my earlobes for good measure. Although I hadn't felt sexy for weeks, this perfume was all I needed to start strutting again, heh. I later looked up the notes on the sephora website--gardenia and amber--which were not super surprising, since amber often works well with my chemistry. I find straight up gardenia (Marc Jacobs, Fracas) to verge on too sweet/cloying, but the warmth of amber in this fragrance makes it very wearable. While I usually find floral orientals to be very overpowering, this one was actually quite subtle on me. My only complaint is the staying power--by eight hours it had pretty much completely faded. For now I'm enjoying my sample, but I plan on getting the 50 mL bottle to get it for Christmas.

on 10/28/2004 6:23:00 PM

It is a wonderful fragrance. It becomes sweet after a while. I will definetely buy it again.

on 10/23/2004 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

When I smelled this at the fragrance counter, I was pleasantly surprised. This a very sexy fragrance. I really like amber, so maybe that's what's doing it for me. I love the bottle and I am strongly considering buying this.

on 10/7/2004 8:40:00 AM

A saleswoman at Norstrom's in Orlando decanted a sample of this for me to try, but when I first tried it, I was suffering from a bad case of nose fatigue, and just couldn't bear to try another fragrance.

So yesterday I was heading over to Orlando to teach, and decided to put some of the sample on in the car. The notes are supposed to be mainly gardenia and amber, and I do get that, but there is also something more woody underneath that. The top notes had a bit too much aldehyde or other nose-tickling attributes, but the drydown was nice, if not really that special.

I'm not really a raving Versace fan in the first place; the packaging always seems...weird to me on those "jeans" type fragrances (fun, maybe, but still weird). I think that I will be trying this one out again, and reserving final judgement till then.