Chanel No.5

on 4/2/2011 9:53:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Oh, Chanel no 5. For a long time, I thought I "knew" what this smelled like. I was so wrong.

The aldehydes make this absolutely sparkle. I love rose, but jasmine is a so-so for me. In this perfume, it is exquisite. It stays close to the skin and smells so feminine, so absolutely womanly, that I feel it is exactly what Coco Chanel wanted it to be: the scent of a woman.

on 3/28/2011 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I have worn no.5, the EDT, not the perfume, for over thirty years as my signature scent. I have lost count of the number of times people have asked me what scent I am wearing. It seems universally pleasant. It is essentially a floral, but manages to be clean and crisp nonetheless.

If I have one complaint, it is not the product but in general the "ladies" who work the Chanel counters. Despite having worn the EDT all these years, and knowing exactly what I want, each and every time I try to purchase it the old warhorses behind the counter insist I upgrade to the perfume.
[ps, they insist it is "parfum", to which I point out "parfum" is simply French for "perfume" get a life] So, yeah, a bit overbearing. Still, I'll put up with the snotty staff to get my no. 5 fix.

on 3/23/2011 11:28:00 PM

Best botlle ever but this is horrible on me. There is something with my body chemistry that make all scents come across differently. In short, this smells like well poop - must be the indoles.

on 3/12/2011 2:00:00 AM

Light Clean Classic floral powder real fragrance but It dosent stay long Although I enjoy this perfume it smells a little notes of soap on me on the dry down This is crazy but the perfume smells better on me than the edt I f i had to review the edt I would give it only 3 lippies

on 3/2/2011 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've long resisted Chanel No. 5, because neither a floral bouquet, and certainly not one that features jasmine, nor strong aldehydes really appeal to my personal taste. But while the EDP is hardly a pale rendition, the parfum is revelatory, a glorious skin scent that banishes the trace of harsh, urine-like indoles that mark the EDP. Its heart is so lush and fine, featuring true jasmine de Grasse and rose de Mai (shown at left), from Chanel's own fields in the south of France. The resulting bouquet is well balanced, but the heady, indolic character of jasmine is perhaps more prominent than the salty austerity of rose, because the supporting notes cast a warm glow on the whole: a candied floral top of neroli and violet, the tropical humidity of ylang ylang, and a sumptuous vetiver-amber drydown, supplemented by creamy sandalwood and a hint of animalic musk. What makes No. 5 tick, however, is that slug of aldehydes that hits you straight from the bottle. Stylistically, they remove No. 5 from the raw, natural beauty of Caron Bellodgia, which smells exactly like a Provenšal flower market.The effect of aldehydes is not unlike that of a bottle of champagne, what Jimmy Stewart calls "Cinderella's slipper" (hic!): the powdery, pearl-like, waxy texture, the volume of its sillage, a scintillation of candlelight gleaming off endless silver.

A dab of the parfum transports you into a world free from the taint of cynicism, which, in my view, is the idea behind a floral perfume in the first place, like some magic universe populated by fantastic heels that never, ever hurt, that instant transformation of the ordinary to the regal. Is this an alchemical subterfuge? Most assuredly. Is it also a carefully designed, tightly controlled propaganda machine that uses imagery like Marilyn Monroe or Catherine Deneuve to boost sales? Absolutely. Is it accessible and easy to wear? Surprisingly, no. And not in that elusive, intellectual way of Guerlain Mitsouko, but more akin to a tiara: Chanel No. 5 seduces the inner princess in all of us.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

I got this perfume about two years ago for Christmas i was told by many people that perfume was for old ladies and that wasn't for young people i love this perfume this perfume isn't for old people sure its from the 1920s but that doesn't mean its for old people its for every teenager young adult or older woman its because so many young girls these days go with those sickly sweet perfumes like fantasy NO.5 is for anyone thats wants to stand out be a true classic beautiful woman THIS PERFUME IS A TRUE CLASSIC AND IT WILL ALWAYS REMAIN THE BEST PERFUME OF ALL TIME SO PLEASE RESPECT A CLASSIC AND GIVE IT A GO EVEN IF YOU ARE A TEENAGE GIRL ITS NOT JUST FOR THE OLDER GENERATION the only bad thing is that it is expensive.

on 2/18/2011 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I am a Chanel addict. Coco Chanel is my role model - truly the most elegant woman. And no5 is the most elegant fragrance i've ever smelled!

I never understood chanel no5 when i was much younger, ive only recently in my 20's started appreciating this iconic fragrance. It takes a certain amount of sophisticated taste to really appreciate no5.

I love Chanel fragrances! I have Chance (EDP and Eau Fraiche), Coco Mademoiselle, Coco, No 5 Premiere and No 5. And they are all classy as you can expect from Chanel. Here is what I think:

1 - If you want to feel classy and FRESH - Chance
2 - If you want to feel classy and SEXY and FLIRTY - Coco Mademoiselle
3 - If you want to feel classy and SOPHISTICATED and warm feeling like you're wrapped in a cashmere blanket - COCO
4 - If you want to feel classy and FEMININE - No 5 is the fragrance for you.

No 5 makes me feel ultra feminine, alluring and confident. Wearing this I know i am turning heads.

on 2/17/2011 7:29:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

This is the best and most sophisticated perfume ever ever made and I have ever used. How come people don't like it I don't understand. It is soft as a baby and it is heavenly. I love love love it!
EDIT: I am one of the lucky ladies which ha s good chemistry combination with this perfect fragrance. If there was a queen of fragrances No 5 is it (and Shalimar could be the shah perhaps for that it is oriental) My friend and mum says their chemistry don't match with this one and they don't like how it smells on their skin. But on me it changes with time I get creamy rich jasmine, powder, clean white flowers. The most complicated fragrance and I am proud to have it, use it. If a dress do not suit you you can not blame it so please do not blame this queen as being an old lady scent. It is so young and cheerful to me and it is the richest jasmine I have ever come up. The most precious piece of my perfume wardrobe. Sometimes I open its cap just to get a whiff and it makes me happy. I think I am in love with it.

on 2/11/2011 12:59:00 PM

This product smelled like dead feces one hour later on my mother. Major body chemistry clash. It completely turned me off. Literally stinky dead feces or maybe something a lady sprays on during her trip from U.S to Germany and three days later, you hug her. What you can imagine old rotten perfume to smell like on, oh and she's heavy set, and dressed in layers. I couldn't take it. I hope this wasn't how it smelled on me because I was raving yesterday till I smelled it on my mom a hour later. Perfume should work the same on ALL people not some. For this reason, will never buy again. I found Mary-Kate and Ashley perfume smelled better anyways. Maybe I just need another sniff of Chanel no 5 to fall madly in love again. Maybe...will never know (am out of my sample btw which is what am basing review on).

on 2/2/2011 4:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Chanel no. 5 is my favorite perfume.
I smelled this in the store and loved it so much, I bought it on the spot, with no hesitation.
The scent is so beautiful. Sophisticated, classy, elegant.
I will be wearing this for years to come, since I assume it will never go out of fashion.

Popular Fragrances