December 18, 2014 | 1733 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2010 12:11:00 PM More reviews by ukarmencb

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

This legendary parfum may smell nice overall but it reminds me of an old cakey faced woman dressed in real fur and surrounded by pearls. Too decadent and old fashion for my taste.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2010 11:38:00 AM More reviews by BerlinD

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have not been able to be a part of the Chanel 5 craze that continuously sweeps us ladies. Yes, classy it is, no doubt about that, but the scent is so reminiscent of the older females in my family (specially my grandmother <3) that I associate this classic scent with older women. Even my husband agrees. I prefer to stick to Chanel's line of makeup and accessories.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2010 4:50:00 PM More reviews by sallysellsseashells

I'm more of a spicy/oriental scent girl and there is nothing I hate more than the old lady floral perfumes ie: FlowerBomb (gags). Florals always give me terrible headaches & nausea. But, No.5 is soooo soft and feminine. This is just like stepping out of the shower (fresh, clean & pretty). This is a perfect workday or weekend scent, not too sophisticated or too sexy. I'm not a fan of Chanel (clothing or beauty) but this I do like and recommend it.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/21/2010 4:36:00 AM More reviews by lalala29

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The smell is complex, but I don't enjoy it. I don't see the appeal.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2010 11:11:00 PM More reviews by sarahhjosephinee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Great perfume, my favorite that I've smelled.
I'm not much of a perfume girl but this one is wonderful. I don't understand the 'old lady' name associated with it, just because it is classic and well known.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2010 3:39:00 AM More reviews by GabrielleCoCo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Chanel No 5 is for the woman who wants to be smelled. A woman who is strong and powerful, yet feminine at heart.

This is still the world's best selling fragrance even if it is close to a 100 years old! Can't imagine that from 1920s this scent can stay so modern till today it is still so widely accepted. Not many fragrances crafted from the 1920s still exist and selling at this point of time.

The heart of May Rose and Jasmine is brought to life with the opening of aldehydic notes. It may smell soapy to some and yet powdery to others. The base of iris (woody) and sandalwood brings about a sensual factor to the scent.

The EDP is a joy but the true beauty lies in the Parfum extrait. The scent developes very differently with the Parfum, the scent of roses and iris much more heightened in this concentration.

I do not care that many says this is Grannyseque or for the older ladies. A fragrance is an indivdual expression and if the "pants" fits, go for it!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2010 1:54:00 PM More reviews by alucas1877

Chanel No. 5 to me is like the fancy lady that everyone knows yet not everyone can be friends with her.

It’s a beautiful perfume filled with an air of sophistication that the Chanel house is so famous for.
When I was growing up I always heard women talking about the elusive Chanel No. 5 perfume and how wonderful and sophisticated it was.
A lot of the female artist I used to love back then swore by it and talked about it as if the juice in that bottle was a blanket of sensuous sophistication you can be a part of just by spraying the perfume on your body.
All I knew back then was that I when I grew up I wanted to be one of those women. I wanted Chanel No 5 to envelop me in its magic.

Well I grew up……and Chanel No 5 did not become my signature scent. I love it and I think it is one of the most beautiful perfumes out there but I just can’t wear it all the time or pull it off.

Since its introduction to the perfume industry and the world in 1921, Chanel No. 5 has been in the hearts and bodies of many women. Created by perfumer Ernest Beaux, The fragrance has been described as “the world’s most legendary fragrance”, now that is a big burden to carry in this day and age when the perfume industry is bombarded with so many launches year after year, yet Chanel No. 5 has been able to stay on top with its charm and silent sophistication.

Chanel No. 5 to me smells like a well mannered lady. When you first smell the fragrance you definitely get the floral aldehydes that identifies this fragrance. Of course this fragrance is known for changing the perfume industry many years ago and the culprit were the aldehydes notes. There is a burst of citrus which can be contributed to the lemon and bergamot which keeps the fragrance very fresh and clean. After a few minutes No. 5 becomes a lot softer on my skin. This is where the well behaved lady comes in. I attribute this to the ylang ylang notes which start to ground the fragrance and make its transition into the heart or middle notes a lot smoother.

This fragrance is clean, fresh, and floral with powdery notes, a very expensive powder. It feels like a very expensive bedroom, one I want to be in.
The middle notes are composed of Jasmine, Rose, Lily of the Valley and Iris. You may think that this would make the fragrance very floral but on me it translates as very clean, soft and a very feminine scent. It really becomes a barely there come hither scent. The powdery of the iris is very alive on my skin.
When the base notes make their appearance, No. 5 is not that impressive on me. It is very soft and it takes on this right out of the shower scent. This is very appealing to me personally but after such a journey with the top and middle notes, I hoped that the base notes translated a lot stronger on me.

For me the most beautiful part of the fragrance are the heart notes. It is full of life, softness and femininity. Overall I think Chanel No.5 is filled with soft glamour, sensual and it still translates as a very classic scent. Even though it was created many years ago it has been able to remain modern and steal the hearts of women all over the world. It is a fragrance that will continue to allure and enchant the heart and noses of many women for years to come.

Alexandra

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2010 5:27:00 AM More reviews by ns4487

This is the ultimate old lady scent. All of the women that I know who wear it are old, maybe that is why I make that association. I really dont like it, but that could be because I dont feel like it suits my personality. Plus for the hefty price tag, I couldnt justify buying it anyway (which is just as well!) Not sure why this has cult status, but then again it is Chanel...a disappointing product for me

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2010 6:28:00 PM More reviews by Shabby413

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Classic fragrance, soft and feminine, not too overpowering, very wearable. Class and sophistication in a bottle. A staple in my collection for many, many years. Love it! Highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2010 6:27:00 AM More reviews by Celinya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love Chanel No. 5. This was my first Chanel perfume and it is truly a classic. I started wearing this at 25 and I don't feel that was too old for me. It isn't a granny perfume, it is just a classic scent.