Clinique Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder

3.5

INGREDIENTS: Kaolin, Silica, Zinc Laurate, Polydecene, Magnesium, Phenyl Trimethicone, Lauroyl Lysine, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cholesterol, Linoleic Acid, Lecithin, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben. May Also Contain: Mica, Bismouth Oxychloride, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, and Ultramarines......... (Jan 2010 )......... Ingredient list: Talc, hdi/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, lauroyl lysine, phenyl trimethicone, zinc stearate, dimethicone, calcium silicate, silica, hydroxyapatite, isostearol neopentanoate, trimethylsiloxysilicate, triethoxycaprylylsilane, sorbitan sesquioleate, tetrasodium edta, chlorphenesin, potassium sorbate, mica, iron oxides.

on 11/5/2007 1:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Besides the horrible bulky green compact the powder does not last at all. Very disappointed. After having a crappy experience trying to get matched i ended up getting invisible. It's an alright match but i would not repurchase this. It is just not what i expected.

on 11/2/2007 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

UPDATE (2012-02-17): BOYCOTTING RE. CURRENT ANIMAL TESTING FOR CHINESE MARKET

This review is for 01 - STAY BUFF.

A pressed powder that does its job, nothing spectacular, and a bit too drying - my skin became ashy and flaky through the day. The powder is quite finely milled, enabling an almost imperceptibly discreet coat. Easy to apply. It could be topped up without looking too heavy, depending on your skin; but, having slightly dry skin, I don't top up. This colour nearly works on paler skin - only if using a light coat. As it's apparently the lightest colour (I tried translucent too) and the compact powder most suited to drier skin, that's not really satisfactory.

This was bought as a replacement for a Boots No. 7 powder (Perfect Light Pressed Powder in Translucent), which was nondescript - not in a bad way, it was OK. I've now come to appreciate what a very nice powder it is (see review) and returned to it, duly chastened and contrite.

The Boots had in turn been bought as a replacement for my gorgeous favourite pressed powder, unavailable in Ireland and I think discontinued: Clinique Soft Finish. Gentle Light was also nice. Clinique have reduced their pressed powder range to a grand total of two: this one for combination through drier skins, and another for the oilier. Again, not good enough!

So - looking for a powder to give a light finish, normally used as my only face makeup (not counting eyes; it's a basic human right to prettify light lashes). I have pale skin with some freckles, and besides not really needing any evening-out of the complexion beyond the odd dab of concealer, foundations are a disaster area given the skin-matching issues. A warning to other pasty-faced people out there: Clinique's not too friendly towards us. I went back to complain about the powder, and a SA tried to sell me one thing that looked orange and another that was chalky over freckles and made me look dead, buried, and dug up a few days later... ah, one day, Prescriptives custom blend, one happy day...

On dryish to really very dry skin, the powder-lover might also like to try Lavera, Dr Haushka, Origins, Clarins, and Prescriptives. The latter is also, as ever, the best bet for the best skin-tone match.

UPDATE: Leaving skin looking dull, and drying it out. Down to 2 lippies. I've abandoned this and have returned to the Boots No. 7: it's better, cheaper, and they had a voucher that made it half-price.

INGREDIENTS: talc - octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate - calcium stearate - calcium silicate - trimyristin - nylon-12 - ppg-12/smdi copolymer - methicone - dimethicone - hydrogenated lecithin - tetrasodium edta - phenoxyethanol - methylparaben - propylparaben - [+/- mica - bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163) - titanium dioxide (ci 77891) - iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499) - ultramarines (ci 77007) - carmine (ci 75470) - manganese violet (ci 77492)] continued >>

on 10/27/2007 3:09:00 PM

i luv this powder..tru it doesnt last as long as i would like in terms of oil control but it doesnt break me out and is super gentle..plus the shade stay neutral is great on my skin tone!! it also gives great coverage....

on 10/27/2007 12:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I wasn't very happy with this powder. When first applied it looked pretty chalky and I had as much oil breakthrough as usual. The the real problem came when touching up.. it immediately caked and went splotchy. Not too impressive. Save your money and skip on this ineffective powder.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is a great product for me. It's a pressed powder that can be used over foundation, yet it provides its own moderate coverage if I want to use it over just a bit of concealer. I love the finish. Stay suede is a perfect match for my golden skin tone. I don't know why I never use this. I haven't even reached the bottom of the pan. I definitely plan to use this more.

on 9/30/2007 8:27:00 PM

This helps set my makeup and keep oilies at bay without looking too powdery or cakey, and it doesn't break out my sensitive skin. Its possibly to over-apply this and look powdery though, so I have to be careful during touchups.

on 9/14/2007 5:43:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Ths powder can stop oil breaking out on my face. But one of the problems is that it doesn't last long enough, about 2-3 hours I have to reapply. It sorts of make my skin look smoother too. But over-apply would make my face look kinda powdery. But overall, it is a good powder, able to settle my makeup.

on 8/21/2007 11:16:00 AM

clinique make up is excellent usually however, i have a real gripe with this one, it simply didnt last long enough! i am very dissappointed! i have since purchased the loose powder which is in and around the same price and has lasted twice the amount of time and it comes with a great little brush which is perfect for your handbag! its a nice product but dosent last at all! go for the loose powder instead!

on 8/1/2007 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

May be compared to some drustore powders, this one is an ok powder. But compared to Versace/Chanel Powders this powder provides a much heavier matte finish, and is actually a very visible powder. It feels very dense and and can look very chalky. If have oily or acne-prone skin, this powder simply makes you look like a jolly little clownessa :)

on 7/29/2007 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I love this stuff! i have extremely oily skin so its hard to find a powder that wont leave me shiny by lunch! but stay matte pressed powder is different..... it leaves your skin flawless and beautifull (ALL day) it is a bit pricey but for people with shine problems it is sooooo worth it! i use it everyday and it has lasted me about a year! i am very impressed.....another wonderful product from clinique!