April 20, 2014 | 1811 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2013 4:39:00 PM More reviews by maria8422

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Oh man, I'm so happy to give another review about this product. The first being directed to the company. Maybe I can help someone out before another disaster.

This product dried out my skin so badly that it actually started to severely peel.
I bought it in the winter, so I thought that the extreme dry/cold air was the reason I had such a terrible reaction to it. It took 3 days for my skin to finally flake off and look somewhat normal to go outside. I globbed cream on like no tomorrow in those 3 days, and I still looked like a shedding snake. I was so desperate for moisture that I smeared jojoba and apricot kernal oil all over my face, and that was not helping either.

I thought that maybe it had to do with the cold temperature in the winter months, so when summer rolled around I gave it another shot. We have very hot and humid summers here by the way (Toronto).. but low and behold I had the same reaction from this bloody cleanser!!

It also claimed to take off your makeup, but doesn't do that either. My non-waterproof mascara was still on my lashes, (I put on minimal mascara).

I will NEVER buy this product again! I was so annoyed because I spent quite a lot of money on a tiny travel size bottle. It costing me almost 16 or 17 dollars. Smells nice though.

I guess million dollar marketing with great pakaging allows companies to take advantage of the people.

I wish I could select zero for overal rating. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!
Total Nightmare!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2013 10:28:00 AM More reviews by BehindtheMayCup

About three months ago I had a horrible allergic reaction. I tried absolutely everything to calm my face. I used products like, Clean and Clear, and Cetaphil, but this was to no avail. Finally, I came across this pricey cleanser and decided to purchase because my friend had it and claimed it was her HG cleanser. When I use this I'm usually in the shower and I take a quarter sized amount in the palm of my hand and mix it with water until it lathers real nice, and then I massage it into my face for exactly a minute. The smell is a subtle citrus smell but nothing major to worry about, and it is a creamy milky color.The only problem I find with this, and the reason I gave it a 4 out of 5 rating, is because I feel as if I have to repeat the process one more time to fully get all my make up off(I wear a really pigmented and strong wear foundation). I pair this with my Lush Angels on Bare Skin cleanser and now my face is slowly starting to repair itself, and I'm so happy. I purchased a 12 oz bottle of this on Black Friday for $10 ( WHAT A STEAL!) and it has lasted until now ( 2-3-13 ), just to give you a time span of how long it lasts, and I still have atleast 2 to three more weeks of product left so I definitely think it's worth the price, but I rated it a 4 out of 5 for pricing due to the fact that it could be very expensive for other people considering it's regular price for a 12 oz is $26 dollars, especially if the product doesn't work for you. The packaging is nothing fancy just a bottle with a cap and that's good enough for me. Overall, I'm going to repurchase this product and continue using it. Next time I plan on purchasing the 32 oz bottle because it ends up being cheaper. (:
-BehindtheMayCup

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2013 8:10:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This cleanser contains way too many essential oils for my sensitive skin. I found the scent overwhelming and the formula irritating. There are plenty of gentle drugstore products that clean better at a fraction of the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2013 3:43:00 PM More reviews by kpennock

I use this 2 times a day every day. In the morning I use it in combination with the microdelivery exfoliating wash. I love this product. My face feels so smooth all the time. My makeup applies better. I have noticed any acne scarring or redness has lightened considerably. My undereye circles are lighter.

I LOVE this product. In fact I love most philosophy products except the moisturizer.

I will say I do not have really acne prone skin though I do get maybe 2 or so pimples a week sometimes more or less but I touch my face a lot so that probably doesn't help.

The only downside I found to the cleanser is it does have a very unique citrus-esque type smell. It is a little obnoxious but fades so fast it is a non issue. It is pricey but lasts a LONG time. I use so much less of it (maybe a dime size amount twice a day) so my 8 oz bottle is about 1/3 gone after using it religiously for 2 months every day. So if you figure 20 dollars for 6 months of cleanser where before i would have to buy a new drugstore cleanser at about 8 bucks at a time every maybe 3-4 weeks. It really evens out in cost for me.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/25/2013 10:48:00 PM More reviews by Kelllyjayne

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I stopped using Proactive for a while to try this product. Since it was so expensive I felt that I needed to use it all. I broke out considerably when using this. I feel that its only good for people without acne prone skin and that have normally clear and near-perfect skin. I regret buying this and I'm glad i'm back to proactive.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/24/2013 12:54:00 PM More reviews by swatters

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really loved that this product is pH neutral, it won't burn your eyes if you are taking off mascara. I don't do a makeup remover AND a cleanser, so for me, a cleanser has to take off my eye makeup too!
This did NOT burn my eyes, and has the creamiest consistency. It takes off all makeup the first time and has a great clean smell... almost a tad bit lemony, but very very mild.

The two complaints I have with this item are 1- very expensive and 2- STUPID packaging! I love Philosophy washes, but they're always in those dumb rigid plastic bottles. Once the product is 75% gone, you can never get the rest out without denting the bottle and it looking like crap. I ended up using a pump left over from a different product and it worked well. I will probably try the version in the tube next.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2013 4:42:00 AM More reviews by rosiealice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Let me start of by saying that this is the first product of its kind I have ever come across. As a cleanser, toner, moisturiser and makeup remover in one, it seems too good to be true, right? Nope! The soft, smooth consistency of this cleanser makes cleaning your face at night a dream, and makes makeup melt down and wash straight off. It has a pleasant, natural smell (kind of like eucalyptus or something) and a little bit goes a looonngg way. A 10 cent piece is sufficient per cleanse, which means my 16 ounce bottle will last a heck of a long time! Two thumbs up :)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/20/2013 9:31:00 PM More reviews by annapcs

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I think this product is very overrated. I got a small size bottle with my clarisonic, and it was ok. If you look at the ingredients list, there's absolutely nothing impressive there, there's no special properties to this product, it cleans your face and that's about it. I'm convinced that a lot of people buy this because of the hype and the name "philosophy" on it. It's really no greater than a $5 drugstore cleanser. Just my 2 cents.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 1:34:00 PM More reviews by Ohviolet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've had mild breakouts on my face for the past few years and tried all the top-rating cleansers that are sold at drugstores to try to clear my skin up. After awhile I figured it must be something internal (diet, hormones, yadda yadda) and slowed down my search for that miracle product. That was until my mother (who swears by the stuff) gave me a bottle of Purity for Christmas. My skin is really looking better and I will absolutely be sticking with this product. In conjunction with my Clairisonic Mia, this cleanser removes my makeup and leaves my skin feeling fresh. It is gentle and non-drying but obviously you should still be using a moisturizer with it. As a side note, the Purity bar soap has been great for the rest of my skin, helping to calm down the small exzema patches I have on my hands.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 7:04:00 PM More reviews by kimberlymichellex

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really love Philosophy products, and this is definitely my favorite. I use this every day to cleanse my face at night, and usually a very little amount will take off almost all my makeup (if I have a lot of eye-makeup I use a bit more). I have normal-dry skin, and this cleanser is quite moisturizing compared to other cleansers I've used (Noxzema, Aveeno). It doesn't require a lot of rubbing this product around to get my makeup off, which I really like. Wonderful product!