August 23, 2014 | 1135 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2013 2:06:00 PM More reviews by lolle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'll start with a bit of background to my skin. I have rather dry skin, have 'alright' condition skin (used to be good but Liz Earle ruined that - don't even get me started). I get a few spots but my main problem is redness. I've seen fellow dry-skin people complain about this because of their dry skin and I can see why. It is a very thick foundation and because it is so long wear it dries rather fast, which is double irritating on dry skin because we have to work at the speed of light. But I honestly love this foundation! I feel like if you moisturise well before hand, or use a good moisturising primer (cannot say enough good things about Loreal Magic Lumi primer btw), then your skin doesn't look dry at all! I don't really NEED heavy coverage everyday so I don't wear this everyday. I have found that starting with a light base and adding this as a kind of 'concealer' is a good way to use it too. All in all, I think the coverage of this is great and the lasting power is great. I can't comment on price because I got this from a CCO rather cheap, but if you can get near a CCO I would recommend getting it! Also, don't know if anyone has mentioned the smell, but the first thing I thought is that it smells just like paint!! This will probably bother a lot of people, in fact my mum hates it. But, I am not picky with smells I get used to them very quickly, and I actually rather like the smell of this...!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2013 2:52:00 PM More reviews by Parisa909

The King of my foundation collection, Double Wear is without a doubt the best foundation I have ever used. I can always rely on Double Wear to make me feel confident, not once in the years I’ve been wearing has it ever let me down! It offers a high-medium to absolute full skin coverage, keeps oily skin at bay and definitely lives up to the 15-hour longevity claim. As a university student, I have to be able to make sure my foundation always looks good as I never have time to reapply, and I HATE reapplying and topping up foundation, but Double Wear hand on heart truly does last all day. It’s buildable, but I definitely feel that one layer is enough to hide away all of my many skin flaws. It does give a semi-matte finish the skin, and at the end of the day looks as fresh as it did when I first applied it. I always make sure I have a couple of bottles of Double Wear in my arsenal - a bottle lasts me around 5-6 months. One aspect of it I dislike is that it looks TERRIBLE in photographs, seriously it's the worst case of 'flashback face' ever, so if you're wearing it and know you're going to have your photo taken, beware!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 4:14:00 AM More reviews by Brid1

My skin colour seems to have changed as I get older and I have struggled to find a foundation colour which suits me. I have very pale skin with some freckles, which can make it harder. I like full coverage but not a mask like effect. I tried Bone, which was a little light and Cool bone which is perfect. I don't wear it every day as I don't always need the coverage but the days I do wear it my skin looks flawless. I apply a tiny amount with a stippling brush and am really pleased with the outcome. I sometimes use Laura Mercier's illuminating Primer underneath if I think I look a little matte! Also the samples that EL are giving out to promote the new colours are very generous so you really get a chance to sample before purchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 1:30:00 AM More reviews by dollbird

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

Emma Pickles on Youtube uses this and her skin is to die for. This is full coverage, has better oil control than even the gold standard Hourglass Immaculate or MUFE Mat Velvet, doesn't transfer and is long lasting on my uber oily skin. Shade 1W2 is a perfect match for NC25-30. Does not break out my sensitive acne-prone skin. Because it is opaque, using very little still renders a natural-looking velvet finish. I find this applies best with a stippling brush. Covers large pores, hyperpigmentation, redness. No complaints, simply a HG foundation for me, even after I've tried all those new so-called high tech foundations (and was not impressed). I've gotten numerous compliments on my "flawless" skin, even though it really isn't (large pores, oily, uneven, acne marks).

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2013 2:57:00 AM More reviews by soccerloverAGC

This is my FAVORITE foundation! I have been using it for the past year and don't ever want to change foundation. It goes on so smoothly, especially with the Estée Lauder perfecting primer (PERFECT COMBO). Doesn't leave your face cakey (I have oily skin), and looks beautifully once you have put it on. It's abit pricey, but well worth it.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2013 10:17:00 PM More reviews by Lilibaba

Double Wear was my holy grail foundation for 8 years, but this is where our friendship ends. The lightest shade - which was a tad too dark for me - Shell, has been replaced by an obnoxious yellow/orange/dark shade, which is no substitute to the 1C1 shell colour, making it absolutely unwearable for me.

When I heard EL was going to introduce new shades, I was delighted, thinking they will finally add some shades to the very pale and the very dark ends of the spectrum, catering towards more ladies. Instead, they just replaced some trusty old shades, with horrible new ones.

This would be enough for me to never buy again, but just to make sure I will stay away from this product, EL changed the formulation too. It is thin, not long-lasting, streaky, settles into lines, yuck!

(My mother has been wearing the Fresco shade, 2N1 for 10+ years, now they changed that one too, although the name stayed the same, the new shade is a LOT darker and tango orange!)

I loved this foundation, but I will never buy again. I find it absolutely outrageous that after such an obvious change the sales assistants try to convince you that the shades are the same, they have just been renamed.

REALLY disappointed!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 5:50:00 PM More reviews by justacupoftea

Over the last few years I have tried many foundations but I always return to double wear just because the finish is unlike any other. If you like full coverage matte finish this is for you. I prefer to apply with my fingers as double wear does tend to dry down quite fast so I can work quickly this way. The only thing that could be improved about this product would be the option of adding a pump as I find myself pouring out too much & as it is a pricey foundation I want to save every last bit!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by sarasophia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Note: I have really dry and sensitive skin. Most foundations seperate and peel of my skin within a few hours (e.g. Chanel VA). This foundation, however, makes my skin look flawless and whilst actually being a matte foundation, my dry skin always looks hydrated when I wear this. I does not feel heavy on my skin and makes me look flawless. I only wish it came with a pump.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2013 8:31:00 PM More reviews by Lourdesmaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Def. good for a long night out ... super matte, but hard to apply. finally figured it looks best with a damp beauty blender... the coverage is good but i still need a concealer for my acne scars..
would purchase again, but eh didn't wow me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by gimmeglamour

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

LOVE. This is my new HG foundation. I was hesitant upon purchasing it, because I generally do not spend that much on foundation, but I figured it wasn't too far from the $28 I usually spend on MAC Studio Sculpt, so it was worth a try. I LOVE THIS. I do not have to use any concealer when I wear it and it lasts all day. I purchased this in Fresco (I'm an NW20 in MAC) & wow, the color couldn't have matched my skin any more perfectly. My grandma used to use this before she passed, and so I always associated Estee Lauder with senior citizens, but it is my new favorite and I am sure once I run out if I can afford it, I'll repurchase. My only qualm, is that I wish it had a pump applicator, instead of the screw off bottle. It is easy to get this all over the bottle and on other products, since I do use my fingers to apply it. Other than that & the price, no complaints here!