Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

3.5

on 12/11/2012 2:50:00 PM

This is not for people with dry skin. If you are only a little on the dry side you might be able to use this if you moisturize first.

It is perfect for combo or oily skin though. This gives me a nice, soft matte finish and looks great all day. Blotting once in the afternoon keeps me from looking "dewy" in the afternoon, but it's not absolutely necessary to do so. I get a moderate coverage-- enough to cover slight imperfections without looking cakey or made up, just natural.

The trick to applying this is to do so with tiny amounts, just enough to cover each section of your face, moving from section to section. If you try to do too much at once it will start to dry and pill before you get it applied right. I even use it on my eyelids and all around my eye-- this stuff does NOT migrate at all, so I get good spf on my eyes!! Finally! Most products with spf wind up in my eyes, stinging and clouding my contacts. NOT this.

I think this is my HG product.

Also-- like many BB creams, it tends to look somewhat darker than you would expect. I would have thought I should use light/medium, but light was perfect.

on 12/7/2012 9:05:00 AM

I received a sample of this in a perk from Sephora. I really liked the sample and how it looked on my skin. It stayed on well, hid pores and did not oxidize. I was convinced and purchased a full size and now I don't like it at all. I knew something was up when my neighbour asked me if I had been away because I looked tan. I bought the light/medium, which looked great in the store but now seems too brown or orange on my face. I'll be returning this.

on 12/5/2012 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Love love love love. If not for the price, this would be my HG face makeup. It leaves my overly oily skin matte, but not dry or cakey. It moisturizes nicely, leaves a glowy effect on the skin, and lasts all day. Very natural. Great for day to day wear or to build up for a full coverage foundation at night. The only drawback is the $39 price tag. That being said, I'll probably still repurchase!

I really wanted this to work for me, but it is absolutely awful! It looks patchy and cakey on my face and it pills off when I apply it. :( I've tried it a dozen times and ever single time I spend forever just trying to blend it and get rid of the patchy look it leaves. Total garbage, like most Smashbox products that I have tried.

I paid $50CAD for it and I can't return it to where I bought it so I am out of luck. I'll pass it to a friend that may want to try it.

on 11/25/2012 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I brought this yesterday at ULTA when I was originally looking for perfume but when I saw it I just had to try it! A saleswoman help me find a shade and no one could tell it was on my skin, the shade matched almost pefectly! $39 for a tiny cute tube seemed a tad pricey but you only need to apply a dab. It covers imperfections, light freckles, and so on. What it doesn't mask well were undereye circles and dark acne scars; not that I have many, but it does improve; which should be credited. I really love this BB cream, my first and only, will buy again.

on 11/23/2012 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

PROS: Smashbox did a great job with this BB cream - I've tried about 5 brands already, this is my favorite. Blends easily, great for sensitive skin, nice variety of colors and 1.0 fl oz will last you an entire season.

CONS: Price, my usual complaint with Smashbox. However, you do get what you pay for. ;)

SUMMARY: One of, if not the best BB creams on the market to date. 5 stars.

on 11/22/2012 4:53:00 PM

I went to Sephora and, as I have a number of times already, I asked for something to more or less hide all of the problems I have on my face, mostly revolving around hyperpigmentation. One time I was directed to Hourglass Veil foundation, which was OK, but not so great that I ran out and bought it again. After a number of other unsuccessful attempts to find a product that does it all (Armani, Stila, Dermablend, CoverFX, Lucy's Minerals, Laura Mercier ...), most recently this was recommended to me. First, like a lot of people are saying, you need to apply this on top of a moisturizer. It is dry and doesn't spread well without some moisture added to it. But, it definitely does the job of evening out your skintone and providing fair coverage of flaws. It feels good on, not tacky at all. I am unable to wear it on its own (I could if I wanted to, I suppose) as I need full coverage, but what I do now is I mix Lucy's Minerals with Nars Tinted Radiant Moisturizer and wear that on top of this. The only reason I'm doing this is because these are the products I have right now. I am still looking for a dewy, full coverage, breathable, long-lasting foundation that is non-comedogenic and won't break the bank. (If anyone reading this has any suggestions, please share!)
This is $50 Can. dollars for a fairly small tube so it ain't cheap. But I will most likely buy again. I like that it has SPF (mineral based) in it, and that will save me from having to buy sunscreen as I buy a mineral-based sunscreen with SPF 35 already. I like the fact that is is a multi-tasker and it does what it says it will do on most, if not all, counts.

on 11/21/2012 10:53:00 AM

I received a sample of this from Sephora, which was about enough for 5 applications. First of all, my skin tone is AWFUL! Rosacea, purple bags under my eyes, and broken capillaries around my nose. I also have large pores. I typically use Revlon Colorstay foundation and it covers everything (love the stuff), but it's pretty obvious I'm wearing makeup when I wear it.
The first time I appled this BB cream, I wasn't too sure about it. I applied it with my fingers without concealer or powder to set. It certainly didn't cover the bags (nothing does) but pretty much covered everything else. I'm accustomed to setting my foundation with smashbox photo set powder, so skipping this step made my face feel sticky all day :( yuck.
The next few times, I applied the BB cream with a foundation brush along with MUFE concealer and the powder...love, love, love!
I ordered full size after the first day.
I do have a couple gripes (it looks horrible if you have ANY dry skin and it settles a bit into my one smile wrinkle), but it really looks great if you exfoliate and lasts through the day for me if I set it with powder.

on 11/19/2012 5:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought the lightest shade, and while I liked that it blended well and matched me, the price was a bit high for the amount I got. I ended up returning it because it made my face really itchy within seconds of applying it and the itch didn't go away till I washed it off. :(

on 11/13/2012 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This product gave me a pretty good look. It evened out my skin tone which I was looking for but I also wanted a natural look and thats where this product lost me. It might be because im not a very oily girl but I was too matte after this bb cream. Many girls i think would go for this because after i applied I thought that this is how all the makeup counter girls always make me look. But to make things short con was the matte finish and pros were the color was actually light enough and you didnt need much product. If your looking for a natural look this is not your product but if your into looking for a matte even look you should love this.