October 20, 2014 | 2072 users online

Liquid - MAC - Pro Longwear Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2013 9:04:00 AM More reviews by krsn89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

* ABOUT MY SKIN *
- I have combination skin. My t-zone is an oil slick, and I have normal/dry skin everywhere else, with dark acne scars and hyperpigmentation on my chin. Any active acne tends to be very red as well, and my cheeks tend to get a bit red.
- I am Asian with yellow undertones. My colour in MAC (SFF) is NC35.

* PACKAGING & PRICE *
Pro Longwear comes in a lovely glass pump bottle that can be locked. It is $37 in Canada and comes in 16 different shades. Please note I did not purchase a full size of this foundation, the SA at MAC gave me a very generous sample.

* FORMULA, COLOUR & APPLICATION *
Pro Longwear has a slightly thicker consistency. There is a faint chemical smell that dissipates once you have applied the foundation. I have applied this with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush and ELF flat top powder brush. It takes a few minutes to completely sink in, and tends to stay a little tacky if you don't set it with a powder. I really like the finish of this foundation. It's matte without being flat, and it's almost a little satin. I am an NC35 in MAC's Studio Fix Fluid and C4 in Studio Fix Powder, so I was matched to NC35 in PLW, though I did try the NC30, which was way too light. This foundations blends beautifully and easily. It does set faster than other foundations I own, so I prefer to apply this in sections. I have VERY yellow/golden undertones, and this matched perfectly when first applied. It looks great indoors and even in flash photography, as there is no SPF. What I did NOT like about this foundation is that it eventually oxidized like crazy on me! I don't usually have foundations oxidize noticeably on me, but this certainly did. I went out to a late lunch with my SO in a dimly lit restaurant and it looked lovely and soft indoors, but as soon as we got outside in the sunlight, he commented that my face looked a little peachy, and he NEVER notices anything! This is after having it on for about 3 hours. I brushed it off and figured it was probably just my moisturizer underneath, and tried it 5 or 6 different times afterwards with different moisturizers, primer, no primer, different sunscreens and the same thing happened every single time.

* COVERAGE & STAYING POWER *
The coverage of this foundation is decent. I would say it is definitely medium but buildable. It is not as lightweight on the skin as some other foundations I own. I think because it is slightly tacky, I'm more aware of it being on my face. It also does transfer, but not a lot. This is the ONLY liquid foundation that I've tried so far that doesn't make me dewy/shiny (especially on my nose) within 2 hours of applying it, which I LOVE. I have a super oily t-zone and while I have other foundations I adore, none of them really keep my oil down as well as PLW. And I don't mean I'm oily like oh, I'm a little shiny, I mean I'm oily like I rubbed Crisco on my face. I have not tested this for more than 8 hours, but it has lasted 8 hours with me only blotting/powdering once. Another thing I noticed about this foundation is that it feels tight on my face. By that I mean when I smile or make facial expressions, it felt like there was something that had to stretch on my face. It's kind of odd, but I guess the mattifying/longwearing formula of this foundation binds really tightly to your skin. I remove this the same way I remove all my foundations, with Pond's Cold Cream and then with my SpectroJel cleanser on my Olay Pro X brush. I didn't have any breakouts in the short time I tried this foundation.

* FINAL THOUGHTS *
I love that this foundation is longwearing and it is awesome on my oily t-zone. It feels okay on your face and the finish is really nice. I think this is a great foundation if you can find a shade match, and if it does not oxidize on you. Prior to this, I've never had a liquid foundation oxidize noticeably on me, so I was surprised when I looked in the mirror the first day and I looked like I had a terrible fake tan on my face. MAC has some of the yellowest foundations, so I'm not sure why this colour ended up so peachy on me. It's worth a shot if you have oily skin like I do, but definitely make sure you try before you buy.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by Wennifer1

I love MAC and I typically buy the Studio Fix Fluid but I decided to try this for summer because it's supposed to have longer lasting coverage. I can't say that I'm in love with the amount of coverage but it does outlast any other foundation I've tried. It's light coverage and lasts about 8 hours with having to blot half way through the day. I found that if you blot and then add a little more powder, you're good to go for another 4-5 hours! ...This product is worth the money. Just don't expect as much coverage as other MAC products.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 4:06:00 AM More reviews by EmRose6

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

The holy grail of foundations. (Background on me: naturally ghostly white - I refuse to tan because my face turns freckle-y and red, so I spray tan frequently. Moderately oily skin, lots of acne scars/light pigmentation and frequent breakouts around the chin and jaw area) I had been an avid Revlon Colorstay user, and received a bottle of Pro Longwear as a gift. Let's just say I've never looked back! I find that Pro Longwear has medium to full coverage, depending on the amount. I love that I can build this foundation up easily. I apply with my cheapie ELF Studio Powder brush and the result is flawless. My acne scars are covered, and my skin looks so even and smooth. Of course, the sanitary pump is always a plus in my book. It's been twelve hours since I applied this, and a teeny bit of shine has peeked through on my forehead and nose - but instead of looking greasy I look dewy. With Colorstay, I found that the color oxidized at the end of the day and I looked so shiny. With this stuff I don't look like I spent all day breaking a sweat. My oily forehead and nose are kept at bay! This may be a bit pricey for my budget, but the results are fabulous and one bottle seems to have lasted me a while!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2013 11:31:00 PM More reviews by SiSantita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin. Nothing worked with hours I would look like I was soaking wet in the face. Walked by the Mac stand one day and I let the employee do my entire face with products she felt would be great for my skin type. She told me to walk around the mall go out in the sun and wear for a few hours... After 6 hours of wear no extra shine just the norm as she told me it would she told me to blot with the mineralized powder and it worked perfect. Needless to say I paid the 30 bucks for it.. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes for oily skin and long wear. The longest I wear foundation is about 4-6 hours and it works great for me. Blends well with my skin tone... I wear the NC45 and I too it off with the mineralized powder u can barely tell I have on anything...

rated 3 of 5 on 5/9/2013 7:06:00 PM More reviews by nicpie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Meh.

The lasting power is excellent. Color match is good. Its coverage is flexible: you can sheer it out or layer it.

But it settles in my pores, with or without primer. And because it is so long lasting, once it settles in my pores, it is impossible to blend away.

I wanted to like this foundation-- but I can't make it work.

If you don't have issues with enlarged pores like I do, this might be a good one to try. It just wasn't for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2013 9:28:00 PM More reviews by queenbee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent foundation specially for people with oily skin. I have oily/acne prone skin so I tend to get oily and this is really good for controlling oil and it stays put - does not slide off my face and does not require a lot of touch ups! Coverage is good, a little less than the Studio Fix Fluid as the consistency of this foundation is a bit runny however, it is buildable. It didn't cause me any breakouts I have used it for several months now so that's excellent! Its expensive but will last a few months. It can be drying at times, so I tend to use this during the summer.

It also comes in a pump which is a plus! Will repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/4/2013 11:35:00 AM More reviews by GeriTaitague

The Sales Associate did a crappy job color matching me. When i asked for a sample just so i could see how it looked outside in the sun, she gave me this frustrated look. I purchased it even with the crappy service she provided due to the numerous raves on Youtube. This product oxidized on me about 3 hours later. This is the first product i had ever purchased from MAC and i am so disappointed. It made me breakout slightly, which is common when i try new products. I think i wouldve liked it better if i was colormatched correctly. Would have returned it but i accidently threw the box away.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2013 10:58:00 AM More reviews by LizWords

I just switched to this about a week ago since the weather is really heating up and my studiofix was starting to slide off my face because of the humidity. I can't believe it took me this long to discover MAC foundations, I started using studiofix in the late fall and have been in love ever since. The NW20 matches my skin perfectly, the traditional studiofix is perfect in the winter when I'm dryer and this longwear formulation is perfect now that it's warm and humid. It provides very good medium coverage and it does what it says, it stays put all day. I also love the pump dispenser, it's so much easier to get the perfect amount than the studiofix bottle, why MAC doesn't switch to these pumps with all their foundations I don't know. I realize this foundation will probably not work for everyone, but for me, it is exactly what I want. Definitely worth a try IMO.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/28/2013 11:32:00 PM More reviews by msjohns888

I have acne scarring, this does nothing for me except accentuate my uneven skin tone. Beautiful color, long wearing but looks awful in the light on my skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2013 12:24:00 AM More reviews by JaneWhit99

I tried a bunch of samples one of my girlfriends gave me to see if it was worth taking the plunge for the high cost and it wasn't :(. The quality is pretty mediocre in my opinion. It really doesn't cover anything for me and makes my skin looked worse than without any foundation. I had to consistently wash it off after applying because it made me look terrible.

Will not be buying again :(