September 21, 2014 | 1273 users online

Moisturizers - Garnier - Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2012 2:19:00 PM More reviews by sarahann1994

This is the only face gel that I have used that I actually can stand to have on my face. I love the squeaky clean feel on my face and hate the greasy, lotion feel. This really sinks in quickly and makes my face feel refreshed and clean. I wear this at night and under my makeup. It is a great face primer! I don't like the packaging though, unsanitary because you have to dip your finger into it. I will repurchase because it does no break my sensitive face out!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by Jennlw5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Really disappointed in this gel cream. I found it didn't help my skin at all and so i checked out the ingredients (which I should have done before purchasing) and alcohol is the 3rd ingredient, no wonder it didn't help my skin. I wish Garner would stop using alcohol in so many of their products.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/3/2012 11:04:00 PM More reviews by meganl19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was really looking forward to using this product. I cannot use creams and lotions because I get milia very easily, so I try to use gel formulas. I still need moisture, however, so I chose this after a search for a face gel at the drugstore, rather than traveling to a department store (which might not carry gel I need, since they are more popular in Asia, plus would be more expensive for a product I use often) or ordering online.

It's only 7 USD at the supermarket, plus you can usually find a coupon, so I only spent about 5 USD. It also comes in some nice drugstore packaging: a very chic glass jar and clean white top which shows off the pretty apple-green gel. It looks very nice on your bathroom counter. Like I said, it's a jar, which some people don't like because you have to use your fingers, but I have never minded that. I didn't notice the smell so much. It was probably a very slight chemically scent, which I actually like for cosmetics products. It definitely wasn't acrid or offensive.

All of this only made it all the more disappointing when it came to actually using the product. I wish it had SPF, but I knew that when I bought it. Garnier has this product as part of the line and another product has the SPF, but that's in lotion form. I wished they didn't separate them like that. I first used it in the morning. I know my skin can be sensitive, but I wasn't expecting this light gel to sting me. Wasn't so painful as to need to wash it off, but it was more than I was used to after exfoliating and it lasted for two minutes. Not the soothing feeling I associated with gel. Now I don't think anyone wants a greasy feeling after applying facial moisturizer, but usually afterwards is when your skin is the most hydrated and supple. After I applied this, my skin had felt no more moist which was unfortunate because I had a few dry patches around my mouth and I was looking for some immediate relief. Then throughout the day my skin got an unusual ,slightly dry texture and dry patches on my cheek where I usually don't get them. I don't know if it actually dried out my skin, because my skin doesn't normally get so dry, or just failed to moisturize and keep in the moisture, which is what is says it does on the box. Either way, combined with the stinging, it didn't do it's purpose.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2012 7:58:00 PM More reviews by Jmberry

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this moisturizer. It's definitely more of a gel than a cream, and definitely better suited to oily skinned folks like myself. I tried this when it first came out and gave up on it because it seemed irritating. I really loved the texture so I thought I would give it another try and purchased it again recently. For whatever reason my skin is tolerating it fine this time around. This product is very lightweight. I find it just hydrating enough for me. For dry or even normal skin, this may not be enough moisture. It feels cool and refreshing, very nice during warm weather. This has a pretty strong, cucumber sort of fragrance which I don't mind. I like the glass jar packaging, very luxe for a drugstore item, and at around $6 it's very affordable. I would probably avoid this if you have sensitive skin due to the strong fragrance and the high alcohol content, but I would recommend to others looking for a simple, lightweight moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2012 6:07:00 PM More reviews by stellar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this after watching a tutorial on youtube for MAC Pro Longwear. In the video, the lady (wish I could remember her name to give her credit) recommended using a water-based moisturizer (she specifically suggested this exact one) in order to make the foundation really last and stay put. It made sense to me, so I went out and bought it. Unfortunately the MAC Pro Longwear didn't work for me but I've been using this moisturizer with other foundations - including long-wearing ones - and it works wonderfully! It feels so light and refreshing on the skin and really does prevent me from getting an oilyish t-zone throughout the day. It gives me longer and more shine-free wear with all of my foundations. I also highly recommend using it under a tinted moisturizer! The only downside is that it doesn't have any SPF in it, but the lotion version does and is 99.9% oil-free. I think I'll pick that one up as well. For reference I have normal/dry or sometimes normal/combination skin. ETA: I have stopped using this because I think it may have been breaking me out/causing irritation, mostly likely due to the high alcohol content (which I didn't realize it had until I read other reviews on it - I guess that's what I get for not reading ingredient labels). ETA Part II: I've determined that this *wasn't* the cause of my reactions. I stopped using the long-wearing foundations I had been using at the same times I would have the reactions, and it's been working perfectly fine. I actuall really love this. It somehow keep my skin perfectly balanced - no dry patches, flakes, or greasy areas. Really helps my foundation and makeup in general stay on longer because my face doesn't feel greasy before I get my m/u on. Will definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/19/2012 8:36:00 PM More reviews by randalove

This used to be my HG moisturizer for 2 years until I checked it out on beautypedia.com and read how awful it is for your skin. Ladies, be careful!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2012 3:19:00 AM More reviews by redsharpie8

If I could've given this a 4.5 I would have, but only because I haven't used this for very long, but I rounded up because honestly after only 4 days of using this product the dry spots on my cheeks have drastically been smoothed down (and no break outs/sensitivity/redness on my sensitive,oily,acne-prone skin). I've been searching for the best moisturizer for a long long time now and have tried almost everything in the drug store (Olay, Aveeno, Neutrogena, Clean and Clear) and nothing has done a better job at hydrating my problem areas and improving my overall complexion than this product! Olay leaves my face feeling oily (maybe because of the sunscreen) and after it dries my dry patches were not gone. This product goes on smooth and has no oily, white pastey SPF, which is ok for me because my foundation has SPF in it, and this moisturizer WORKS. My face doesn't get oily or feel oily, in fact it feels refreshed and soft! even my trouble spots. Over time my skin has improved in softness which actually really surprised me! After using it once I was really skeptical because this has been a part of a long chain of returns and exchanges at the drug store, until I found this one! I wasn't expecting this to work on my patches. And honestly, it didnt work COMPLETELY the very first time, but i could tell it was better than anything else I've tried. And after a few days of using this morning and night the patches are completely gone, no more makeup building up in those spots! I love the gel consistency it really gets absorbed quickly into your skin and you can apply more to the areas that need it most without it bulking up and just smearing around. All in all, I think I can finally stop my parade of exchanges at Rite Aid, this one's a keeper for sure!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2012 1:13:00 AM More reviews by alleyaddict

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Blessing for those of us with oily skin living in warmer climate. I had given up on finding a non-oily moisturizer - even those marked with 'for oily' skin make me oily. Not this one - it indeed is cooling and refreshing. I think I am going to want to bathe in it once the temp starts rising.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2012 12:08:00 AM More reviews by dv_27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is what happens when I give in to temptation and end up with a zit.. applied this in the evening and by 11 pm, saw this this huge zit forming.. immediately washed this off my face eeek. Will never touch this stuff...did feel wonderful when applying , didn't make my skin greasy or oily feeling. Yet it did fail in the breaking out my skin department.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2012 7:17:00 PM More reviews by LLark

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for about a week and I love it. It's very different. When I first used it, it didn't feel very moisturizing and I was disappointed. I used it at night right after cleansing, it went on nice and smooth and absorbed nicely but my skin didn't have that "creamy" feeling and I thought it wouldn't work. But then in the morning I noticed my skin was still nice and soft, so I kept using it. What I notice is that my skin just feels more "normal". It feels balanced. I have combo skin with an oily t-zone but dry patches and sometimes small flare ups of eczema. With this product, I've noticed that my skin never gets that real dry feeling and there's been no flakes or patches at all. I am very impressed. It takes a bit of getting used to because when I get dry skin I usually use an intense or oily moisturizer or balm. This feels much lighter than other creams (it's a true gel, not creamy) but it really keeps my skin hydrated all day. Which I've never found in any other cream, I always need to reapply eventually. I definitely recommend this gel cream, I paid about 8 dollars at Target for I think 2 ounces (or close to it).