April 19, 2014 | 1086 users online

Crème - MAC - Mineralize Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2010 4:12:00 PM More reviews by Sabrina09

This product is my HG.... BUT you must use the MAC brush 109 and PUSH it into your skin (don't swipe or swirl). If you PAT it into your skin with the tip of the bristles (in a quick tapping manner) you will get the coverage that ALL crave without the cakey look....it will go into your skin and will look FLAWLESS.... like airbrush picture flawless. I realize now that the SWIRLING doesn't allow me the coverage or texture that I have always craved. The quick tapping and this product are HG. I then take the same brush and tap the MAC prep+prime powder....and literally get stopped a zillion times wherever I go....sometimes it's even annoying when I'm late....people are THAT impressed. I got NC 25 and it's great for my light Asian skin....will have to go NC30 when summer gets here...but this is the flawless look that I wouldn't even be embarrassed to go to the gym, boating, beach with.... when you look cakey it just looks ridiculous to go to these types of event with "makeup" on....this just looks like PERFECT skin...and trust me I'm a perfectionist!!!!!!

12 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2010 11:38:00 AM More reviews by audmac

Wanted to try out some new foundations and the SA at MAC made me a sample of this in nc15. Color was perfect match for me but unfortunately the coverage was not good enough to cover up a couple of blemishes. Will be trying out the loose powder mineralize makeup next.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2010 2:51:00 AM More reviews by statunay

first of all, i have to say, i love this foundation. i have eczema, so having skin that's prone to being excessively dry, i went ahead and purchased the compact at my local counter. At first i thought that it's a bit too light for me...i wear c40 in studio fix powder, and in this one i'm an nw 37, but it's such a good match! it's hydrating, easy to build up, and even easy to play down, by diluting it a bit on a brush or sponge with a little water or fix +. overall, a great investment, updates if i need to post any to come!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2010 11:26:00 PM More reviews by Hollytron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is day 3. I wanted to wait longer before writing a review because I am still playing with it (application, coverage, etc.) but so far, no complaints with every way I've applied it! Let's begin. Day 1 was in store. I went to try it on, and didn't want to buy it because I wanted to see how it would wear (how it feels, the color match, longevity, does it change color, all that). It was applied with a foundation brush, fairly light. It wore for 5 hours, flawlessly, no color change. Day 2 was in a MAC store at the mall. Tried it on using the new brush (130), shopped around. I tried it on pretty lightly this time as well. Even applied light though, it is not a sheer coverage. You get great medium coverage without too much effort. I bought it on Day 2, and today is Day 3. I've been wearing it now for 7 hours. Has not faded, changed color, or anything. Today, I put it on a bit heavier, and about 20 minutes after I had it on, I decided to take a sponge and gently wipe some away. It wears so much better when used gently! Again: The coverage is there! No need to use too much! Tomorrow, I plan to use my clean fingers to apply directly to my face (oh, I use a little scooper to get a bit out and put on the back of my hand for sanitary reasons).
I'd like to now comment on the color match. It's good! It is a bit darker than my usual foundations, but actually is a better match for me right now! I am wearing NC15 and it is not a whole shade darker than usual. It's perfect.
Now for how it wears: Alright, I think this is made for dry, sensitive skin. I have *very* dry skin and this has been marvelous. It stays sort of dewy for a while. It doesn't "dry" for some time. I'd say it takes about 20 minutes for it to really set to the look you're going to have for the rest of the day. After it "sets" it looks even more amazing!! (I think it looks amazing from the first application.) It is not illuminating in a shimmer kind of way, but something about it makes me skin simply glow! I'm not a vain sort of girl, but for the last couple of days, I have been glancing in every mirror or reflective surface I go by. In every one, I just think, "Look at my flawless skin!" Not "Look at my mask!" Which... Is what I usually think with MAC foundations (and actually many others not only MAC; I am very particular). It really just seems to blend into the skin and looks invisible! It just makes you look like you have naturally luminous, glowing skin! I am truly impressed with this foundation and I may have to put this up there in my top foundations! Other than this, I really like Giorgio Armani LS (sadly there is no color match however), and NARS Sheer Glow (I wear Siberia and Gobi, depending on the season). I feel this is going right up there with the look and feel of those two. But BETTER because it makes my dry skin feel so good!
Which makes me want to comment on one more thing... I feel like this foundation has been working with my skin. NARS Sheer Glow has been the foundation of choice for me for the last 4 months straight. However, I have to be careful around especially dry areas because its not quite hydrating enough. With Mineralize Foundation, I notice reduced flakes and redness after I remove it! Wow!! This foundation has so many perks! Sorry for the essay, but thanks for reading if you got this far! I'm sure that if you are a dry or sensitive skinned gal, you may really like this!

29 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2010 6:53:00 PM More reviews by yrrucs

I am a 36 year old African American women with acne scars, dark marks, and uneven skin tone. This product is so good I made this my first review. This product is buildable, lightweight on the skin, non too matte or shiny, gives your skin a glow and does NOT look mask like. Using your fingers is the best way to go. Don't know if it will break me out but I make sure to use a moisturizer underneath so it's not seeping in my pores. Don't go by the look of the color, make sure to try it on in the store. I thought nc45 would be too light but when I tried it on, it just melted into my skin. This is MAC BEST foundation to date, and I've tried them all! LOL! ................................................
Edit : I returned this product the following week. I would only use MAC for MAYBE special occasions...too heavy on the skin. Go to Mario Tricoci and get a custom blend mineral powder Cose (not liquid, trust me) make-up made. Get it loose, not pressed because the binding will make you look very cakey. Don't get any additives like 'balancing' because they may break you out like I did AND the additives will take away from the color of the powder. This product is a million times better than all the other mineral powders out there because it doesn't have that extra stuff that most store mineral powders have that makes people break out and/or itch. Make sure you get a skilled makeup artist because it is completely custom blended. I've been using this product for years and will continue to as long as they make it.

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2010 3:04:00 PM More reviews by phylalexan

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Very pleased with this foundation in NW15 (which is my usual shade in MAC foundation). MAC MUA applied it on my skin & then dusted MAC mineralize skinfinish in lt/med on top ..my skin looks softer & smoother than it has in a long time. Ignore the fact that these look much darker in compact than they actually are. In warmer months I'm combo skin but this foundation was perfect for a bit drier skin. With a mattifier underneath this would work well for oilly skin as well. Applied with MAC 109 brush, but plan on buying MAC 130 brush that is sold with this foundation.
UPDATE 2/27/10: Be careful when using this foundation not to use too much which I apparently have been doing - since I hit pan after just 10 days of using this! Also SA told me to purchase the 130 brush so it will soak up less product. I had been using MAC 109. Even so, it seems like one could go through this product in less than a month unless very careful!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2010 8:59:00 PM More reviews by Heechul

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Buildable, and silky-feeling. Creamy.
And more like the Cremeblend/CCB finish.
It doesn't feel thick like the studio concealer.

I fell in love with this foundation on first glance.
It feels great, it's super blendable, and the coverage is completely buildable.
I recommend application of this product with a denser brush. The 188 it's (re)promoted with, wouldn't do the best job. Or was that with riveting? I don't really remember.

Any foundation brush, MAC109, 189, and 187 could do a good job. I personally like a heavier brush than the 187.

The MUA's all scoop this out with a spatula then on a petri dish to apply the foundation, and it's a cleaner way of applying this foundation (as creme palettes/products usually do get a bit gunky..)

I'm usually an NC25 in Studio Fix powder/liquid/select SPF/light medium mineralize skin finish powder, but I'm a NC(15-)20 in this. Perhaps its also because its winter now.

It's good on most areas of my face.
It covers acne decently, the sheer coverage went over acne scarring great.
It doesn't enhance dry skin.
Wore a little funny on my nose. (Certain foundations wear funnily on my nose area, for no particular reason)

I'll hope that this doesn't break me out, but I don't seem to be one of the people who break out from MAC foundations. :)

Small things to note:
No sparkle. No glimmer. Matte-satin finish.
This doesn't feel tight at all on your skin. (Like some foundations do)
Wears well all day with a setting powder.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2010 3:34:00 PM More reviews by cyclops68

When this foundation was released two weeks ago in Europe, I received a sample in NC30 and NC25 to take home to test. I tested them for an entire week and finally took the plunge and bought it. I'm usually NC30 in Studio Fix (powder) and Select Tint, and even though the Mineralize SPF15 version of NC30 looks very dark in the compact, I've discovered that it's almost a perfect match. It gives a very subtle tan, maybe, but NC25 is definitely too light. I've been applying this gel-cream foundation with the 188 brush by stippling it directly onto the spots that need coverage. This foundation is designed to give moisture to the dry or dull skin, and even though I don't have either of that, I think that it does reduce oil production. When I'm not wearing any foundation and have only a light dusting of MSFN all over, by mid-day or late afternoon (I do my makeup at 7am), my forehead and nose gets slightly shiny. However, I've noticed with the Mineralize SPF 15 foundation (set with MSFN) that there is almost no shine on my T-zone (except a little on the bridge of my nose) at 10pm.

Compared to Select Tint, I like the Mineralize SPF15 more because of how it sets. Select Tint sets a little powdery, as in you can see powder particles if you look close enough. Mineralize SPF15 sets almost invisibly. I would describe the Mineralize SPF15’s finish as satin-like, even slightly dewy. It definitely looks very natural on my skin, as I’ve been told by independent observers. I've been looking for a new foundation lately so I've also tried the Mineralize Satinfinish in NC30. It is by comparing this to the Mineralize SPF15 that I truly realise how lightweight the new foundation is. When I put on Mineralize Satinfinish, also by stippling with the 188 brush, I instantly felt how heavy it was compared to the Mineralize SPF15. I was aware of wearing foundation the entire day, whereas with the Mineralize SPF15, I forget that I was wearing any- it felt very breathable. Since the Satinfinish is liquid, it also didn't stay where I put it, and spread everywhere, sheering out the coverage. The Mineralize SPF 15 has a texture similar to the Studio Sculpt concealer, like a cross between a gel and a cream, so it stays exactly where you put it. Although it provides less coverage than the Studio Sculpt concealer, it is still decent enough to cover up some blemishes without requiring concealer on top.

As for packaging, I'm not very keen on having foundation in a compact. I feel that it is not as hygienic as foundation that is poured out, pumped out, or squeezed out. As I've mentioned, I use foundation only occasionally to cover up blemishes, so I think dipping my brush into the product will dirty it as I'm using it. I've been advised by MAC MAs to use a spatula to scoop out what I need each time. Also, the compact is sold with a peel-off foil that keeps the product fresh. There are instructions to close the compact tightly so that the product won't dry out. This definitely lowers the packaging points because I don't think that the compact is air-tight so some drying out is bound to occur, especially if you don't use the foundation frequently and daily. However, since it’s so light, I think I might end up using this daily instead of using concealer.

There is also a new brush, the 130, promoted with this foundation. It is very soft and is denser than the 188. I was told that while the 188 gives the diffusing effect, the 130 applies products more heavily and its flat top is used for buffing. I haven't purchased it yet since it seems unnecessary if you have the 109, 187 and the 188 but I'm a bit of a brush collector and seeing that I find the 188 a little too flimsy, I might get the 130 afterall to see how well it works with this foundation. But that will be another review for another day.

In all, I recommend this foundation to people who have dry skin, dull skin, normal skin, or combination skin (I have normal to combination skin subject to occasional breakouts). I think the most impressive selling point of the Mineralize SPF15 foundation is how lightweight it is and that it doesn't set cakey or powdery-looking. As mentioned, it looks so natural that I have trouble seeing where foundation ends and where skin starts. The coverage is medium so concealer is still necessary on pesky spots, but it is definitely hydrating. Of course there's also the added bonus of sun protection so I think that this foundation merits a 5/5 despite its slightly high cost and packaging issues. I will be buying this foundation again when I eventually run out of it.

Update: So I went on a holiday to a tropical climate and put the Mineralize SPF15 to the test. While I felt previously that it had good shine control properties (in a temperate country in winter), I'd say that the Mineralize SPF15 contributes little to controlling sebum production in a hot and humid climate. Just like how life was before I discovered this foundation, a mid-day touch up with either MAC Blot Powder or MSFN is necessary to mattify the T-zone. I've also used the 130 brush, it's easier to build up coverage by stippling than with the 188, and picks up the product more easily. I don't use it to buff much even though its flat top is meant for that. I personally feel that buffing sheers out whatever I'm doing, so buffing a painstakingly built-up coverage is pretty pointless.

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2010 2:57:00 PM More reviews by Vex

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I generally wear Mac's Studio Sculpt foundation as I love the glowy finish but added coverage. This foundation is great for looking natural but giving either a soft coverage or fuller coverage if built up. The best thing about it is that it doesn't cause breakouts at all> I have skin that seems to flare up constantly and after using this since it came out my skin is clear. This is def. a fave now and I will keep buying it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2010 6:41:00 AM More reviews by malinen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

[CLICK CONTINUED FOR COMPARISION SWATCHES IN NC15 AND INGERDIENTS] I've been wearing this for a few days now and I'm more than happy. The foundation is incredibly creamy and is almost like a liquid when you touch it with your finger. I've tried a nomal foundation brush, my fingers, MAC 182 and MAC 188 brushes and I find that the 188 is what works the best for me. At first I was thinking about buying the MAC 130, but I'm completly satisfyed with the 188 brush. The foundation is so incredable light and creamy and the result is just like skin. Not my skin, but the skin of one of thoes people with really good looking skin. It's the first time I've found a foundation like this!

The two main problems I have with foundations is that they either wont blend with my skin properly or that they break me out. I can't tell weather or not this is breaking me out yet, but it just melts in to my skin and makes it looks fresh and a lot more even, but it still looks like the texture of skin! The pores on my nose also seem a lot smaller after I've applied this foundation which is a great bonus. I also love the fact that it's a cream. Liquid foundations work a lot better with my dry skin, but I love the fact that it's in a compact so that it's easy to bring a long and travel with. The compact has a second compartment for a sponge, which is great for touch ups.

I bought this in NC15, which is the same shade that I use in MAC Studio Sculpt, MAC MAC Studio Finish Concealer SPF 35 and in the MAC Mineralize Satinfinish SPF 15 (see picture for swatches). Other than MAC, I wear Everyday Minerals in Golden Fair and Lauress in Subtle Gold. My skin is fair and truly golden/yellow. If a SA would suggest a NW I would probably laugh. Other than that I'm sensitive, acne prone and very dry. Oh, what a dream! I would say that this foundation might work best for someone with dry or normal skin, but I would suggest anybody looking for something with a very natural medium coverage to try it!

From left to right: MAC Studio Sculpt in NC15, MAC Mineralize Satinfinish in NC15, MAC Mineralize (this one) in NC15 and MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NC15 on my arm.

continued >>