October 22, 2014 | 2104 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2013 4:06:00 AM More reviews by euristocrat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

Whilst I like my Clarisonic Mia, I have rated it a 4 because I could do without it and I don't think the effects justify the price. Firstly, I don't use it twice a day, every day as I have sensitive, pale, fragile skin and I feel that regular use would be too harsh for my skin. However, I use it once a day around 3-4 times a week with the delicate brush head and have no problems e.g. breakouts. For me, the Mia essentially acts as a gentle exfoliator, buffing off any dry/dead skin. I have found that it brightens my skin a little and that my foundation and concealer go on more smoothly. I should note that for many years I have used a cream-cleanser with a muslin cloth to cleanse so perhaps that's why I haven't seen the differences that others have. I don't think that the Mia works particularly well with cream cleansers, which is disappointing as that's what I prefer to use. It doesn't serve to unclog any of my pores around my nose - I find various masks much more effective. Washing the heads regularly is a concern because I don't want to spread bacteria around my face. Given my skin type, I wish I had tried one of the dupes e.g. Boots No7 Beautiful Skin Cleansing Brush or Olay's Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System as, in my case, the benefits of the Clarisonic do not outweigh its hefty price tag.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2013 5:54:00 PM More reviews by AgentMakeup007

The delicate skin of the face is not meant to be treated harshly in the way this device and other expensive tools do. Main cause for acne is irritation, mainly irritation caused by FRICTION. I am a college student and since I want to be a dermatologist I have taken all the courses there are about skin anatomy and skin behavior. Using a vibrating brush (no matter how "gentle" it is) will only damage your delicate skin for the long run. Soaps and scrubblets are okay if used every other day, but this device is way too harsh on the skin. You can ask any licensed dermatologist, there is no such thing as a skin "purge" fron being "cleaned throughly". It's a skin reaction to friction, something similar to what happens when the inner part of thighs rub together while taking a long walk. It causes painful cystic acne from the abuse. Not only that, the constant tugging on skin causes premature wrinkles and it makes the skin lose it's capacity to heal by itself quickly (I bet many of you have problems with acne scarring huh?). Be careful, your face is pretty sensitive and gentle, treat it well.
The first minute I tried this, I couldn't stand it and returned it as soon as possible.

18 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/11/2013 1:52:00 AM More reviews by justwishin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't have sensitive or acne-prone skin, and can use almost any kind of scrub, acid or retinol. After using this very gently (almost no pressure) with the delicate head and only once a week and EXACTLY as directed, I broke out in very bad cystic acne all along the jawline. This was after 1 month of weekly use. Nothing else with my skincare had changed, and I never break out, so I know it was this brush. It wasn't a "purge" because I have very clear pores and exfoliate frequently. I cleaned it after each use as directed.

The worst part was the pores in my t-zone, which are normally tiny, appear larger. Not "cleaned out", but larger and longer...vertically from top to bottom, as if they have been slightly stretched out. I don't claim to know how that is possible, but that's truly how it looks and I'm not happy. Also, I saw no major skin benefits from using this, other than the rosy glow I get anyway from a normal scrub. This brush is not for everyone and I wish I hadn't splurged on it. I think the vibrations "activate" the skin too much for some of us (and pull on it too) regardless of how properly/gently it is used. If you get it, keep your receipt in case. :/

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2013 1:22:00 AM More reviews by Jhulagurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this product. Every time I would use it I would get red irritation bumps all over my face. It strips the face too much, which in turn makes your skin produce tons of oil in order to try to balance it again. The face should not be over exfoliated and scrubbing it everyday with a brush is not good for it. Also, the the brush causes micro tears in the skin which later turn into inflamed infections all over the face. The brush head harbors bacteria as well, so if your not cleaning it with alcohol every time you will end up with breakouts. Overall, this is way too abrasive and not healthy for delicate facial tissue. Dermatologists are against the use of the clarisonic because it can lead to facial damage and premature wrinkles.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 6:38:00 AM More reviews by joanne150406

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

All I will say is that if you've been thinking about buying the clarisonic Mia for a while - you should totally get it and you will not be disappointed! I think it is one of the best investments and my skin is now so much smoother and you get looking. I think a lot of it also has to do with finding the right cleanser that works for you with the Mia as well. But I'm never looking back now! It's so good even my bf loves using it lol

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2013 7:03:00 AM More reviews by Margaret1975

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased my clarisonic mia about a year ago and have noticed a significant improvement in my skin especially in terms of acne.

Even though I am in my 30s, I still struggle with the occasional break out. Once I started using my clarisonic, I have noticed a significant reduction the number, severity and length of break outs. Whenever I see a pimple forming, I just focus more time on it with my clarisonic and it just goes away without fully developing.

As another poster mentioned, this may not be the best for cystic acne, but if you struggle with mild to moderate acne, do give this a try.

I have used similiar products such as the olay pro-x version, but I find that the quality of the clarisonic significantly surpasses that of olay's version and after a year of regular use, my mia is still going strong.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2013 3:39:00 AM More reviews by RosesRoses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought my Clarisonic at my dermatologist's. It was slightly discounted, and he said that it was effective for superficial acne, like blackheads and whiteheads.

He was right. After using this for about three months, I no longer get whiteheads, and the blackheads on my nose are significantly smaller and less noticeable. I don't know whether my face feels six times cleaner, but I know that if I use my hands and a scrub, it definitely doesn't feed as clean as it would with the Mia.

My three star rating is the result of two things. First, the Clarisonic isn't the only product of its kind on the market, and there are cheaper and equally good alternatives, in my opinion. I see no difference in results between the Mia and my Sirius SkinSonic, although the latter cost less than half the price of the former. Admittedly, the Clarisonic is prettier and has a timer, but I don't know what justifies the price.

Second, the Clarisonic won't do much of anything for cystic (large bumps under the skin) acne, since the infection is too deep under the surface. For that, medication is generally the solution. Since I got my Mia at a doctor's office, he was upfront about that. I've heard the marketing pitch at Sephora and at department stores, and no-one ever stresses that this product is intended for mild to moderate blemishes. I wish the company was more upfront about the Mia's limitations.

I think this product is great for people with no severe skin complications. It really makes my face feel clean, and it's improved the texture of the skin significantly. That said, it doesn't prevent a few cystic acne bumps, and it's not particularly affordable. I'd shop around for alternatives before committing to this.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2013 12:06:00 AM More reviews by nattib2

i have seen an improvement in my dry/combo skin with consistent use. it is much softer and less dry patches.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/4/2013 11:42:00 AM More reviews by girlmeetsworld

Ok so I've just bought this and used it for the first time a few minutes ago! I thought I'd start off by posting immediate results then edit this review in a few months with long term results! I had a facial about 4 months ago and this was used and it was one of of the best facials ever, my skin was glowing for days after. So I asked my mom to get me this for my birthday which she did and I've just used it myself. Right now (10 mins after use) my skin is already softer and glowing! However I won't know how effective it is until after a few more uses, after which I'll come back and post the results! All I can say is I'm praying for no purging period!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/3/2013 3:13:00 AM More reviews by mswong

I dont usually write reviews I only do so when I think the product(good or bad) deserves a review. SO... I decided to purchase the Mia because I'd heard good things about it. I have normal combination skin and I would get one or two pimples every month. And I do have small white bumps on my forehead that usually go away on their own.
I started using the Mia in Dec 2012. I LOVED it the first week of use. My skin felt deeply cleansed and refreshed and glowy. However, after one week of use, I started breaking out like CRAZYYYYYY!!!! I got these little white bumps between the sides of my nose and my cheeks, as well as on my chin. Oh and the bumps on my forehead have gotten worse and somehow it started to spread to my entire face. I BELIEVED that it was that "purging period" so I STUCK with it until two days ago (which is March 1st 2013 meaning I used it for 3 months). I should have did more research on this device before I started using it. Two days ago I decided to look at the reviews online and found out that a lot of you ladies out there have experienced the same nightmare ='( My face is like a canvas painted by a kindergarden kid. I work in the beauty industry too so right now I'm caking my face with foundation trying to cover up all the red marks and scars and whiteheads and blackheads. Today is the second day that I've stopped using this device and I feel like my skin has calmed down a lot but I still have lots of broken capillaries and blemishes all over my face ... I will update again in a week or so to let you guys know how my face is doing... I really really hope I will get my normal skin back!!!
Im happy for the people who find this device miraculous...... but Clarisonic is definitely NOT for everyone or every skin type.