September 2, 2014 | 1774 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Hourglass - Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2012 8:21:00 PM More reviews by sarahcurll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

i have tried many other primers but they all left me feeling oily (and i already have oily skin!), didn't last long, or broke me out. This stuff feels like silk going on your face. It feels amazing! just be careful not to put too much under your eyes or it can start to build up. It does not make me break out, and really works. I tried putting on my foundation without it and you can tell the difference. Without it, my pores look very large and you can't really tell I have any foundation on. It is expensive but worth every penny!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/29/2012 9:32:00 PM More reviews by waterlilly26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hands down, this is the best primer in the world! Well at least in my world, lol I love this stuff! It makes my laura mercier mineral foundation just glide on, my face looks smoother and my foundation last all day with NO touch ups! I actually don't have to blot at all. At the end of the day my makeup still looks fresh. I will say, that if you have dry skin, you must have a good moisturizer on when wearing this, I had a strange day where my skin was dry and flaky (usually normal with oily T zone) and I applied a light moisturizer on before and this totally accentuated the dry patches. Now when my skin is having an off day I just use a heavier cream and this primer allows me to because it keeps the oilies at bay. Well worth every penny I reluctantly(pretty pricey) paid, but you only need about half a pump to get good results so it will last a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2012 9:06:00 PM More reviews by PollyL

Wow!

Alright. This is the best. I received this as a sample in a Sephora order back in November and decided to save it for one of my upcoming college music auditions. I thought that an audition day would be a good day to test out a primer. I had used a few primers before, but never had really seen the need for them until I went through makeup powders within 2 weeks because I needed so many touchups. WELL. I was not disappointed! This primer lasted from 9 AM - till I went to bed at midnight! I even went touch up my makeup before I was called back for my audition...no touch up required.

This stuff is incredible. Conceals acne too. It's literally like magic in a bottle.
I know the price tag is steep. Trust me. As a student, I need to save as much money as I can for school. But you deserve this.

FIRST OFF, you'll be saving money by buying this. At the most, you'll need a powder touchup TWICE during the whole day. I only need one little touch up a day. But it is also winter. I will be interested to see how this product holds up during the humid Virginia summers and I will post an update.

TWO. You won't need concealer because this conceals and helps to hide redness/discoloration. Again, saving money. I have struggled with cystic acne on my chin for several years now. Finally, it is almost clear, but I have intense discoloration. Not a problem for this thing. Clears it right up. I am AMAZED that my skin is all the same color plus my acne looks invisible and it does not break out my skin!

THIRD: You use so little that this will EASILY last for awhile.
I'm sold. I hope you are too after reading this post. Seriously, buy it as a gift for yourself because YOU DESERVE to look good. You deserve to be able to get through a day without wondering if your nose is shiny or if your makeup is starting to slide off of your forehead. Seriously, I am not kidding. Buy this.

Thanks to Sephora...ordered this on Saturday night in December around 7 PM. Received it at 11 AM Monday morning. And that was with Standard Shipping. THANK YOUUU :)
Oh also, nailed my audition and got accepted to the college (they have a 15% acceptance rate)!!! Part of me wonders if it was due to this primer. I was more confident because I knew that my makeup was perfect. No oily skin, no discoloration. And this has helped me become even more confident in my looks since then!

BUY THIS NOW. End of story :)

28 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2012 10:13:00 PM More reviews by Sileny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

**EDIT: The more I used this, the more unimpressed I became. It's really nothing special and a huge waste of money. Honestly, I have no idea why it worked so well on day one and then became useless towards the bottom of the bottle. Dropped to one lippie. It really is best for dry skin. Anyone who produces any oil won't be impressed either.

Short story: It works! It really works for oily skin. I'm in shock I actually found a product that makes my foundation last longer and controls oil without breaking me out. It's light, liquidy, and can be worn without foundation. It blurs pores and redness (doesn't get rid of it, though) so I actually look like my skin is airbrushed. The only con is the price - it's very expensive but it actually lives up to its claims. This is easily my HG primer and I hope they never discontinue it, unless they make something better. As always, sample before you buy it to see if it works with your skin.

Long story: I have always had bad luck finding primers that suit my skin. All I know was that silicone based primers (those with dimethicone at the top of the ingredients list) were awful for my oily skin. It looked great at first, but the primer only sat on top of my skin and that seemed to make my skin produce oil in hyperdrive. My foundation would melt off my skin in 2 hours after application. So a representative from Hourglass was at Sephora and she saw me eyeing the two primers there. She talked highly about them, and I was skeptical because of my history with primers. I explained to her about my oily skin and she immediately recommended me this primer, since it's not silicone based. I tried it on the back of my hand and it felt so powdery smooth and nice. Definitely not the kind for dry skin. Usually when a primer isn't silicone based, it's a cream that is normally meant for dry skin - again, not for me. So I picked up the .33 fl oz bottle to test at home.

The pump is easy to control and I used a small amount over my face. It's very liquidy and needs time to set. If you start applying foundation too early, it will flake off. It actually left my skin looking so close to poreless. I put on my bb cream and it left a matte finish (more matte than usual). It works! My skin didn't become oily until 5 hours after application. This never happens. It's always after 1-2 hours. I love that the ingredients list is short so it's better for those with sensitive skin (like me). There is dimethicone in it, but it's closer to the bottom in the ingredients list.

ETA: After using it for 2 weeks, I still find it to be the best primer on the market. However, when using it with other foundations, I found the oil control wasn't as good as with my bb cream, so I believe I wrongly attributed that to the primer. Also, I think it was separated at first because the oil control is totally gone now. The first couple days, it was very liquidy, now it's like a cream with a thin, gel-like consistency (if that makes sense). I had to knock it down from 5 to 4 lippies because this isn't the same product anymore and barely does anything for my foundation.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2012 12:06:00 AM More reviews by mostlym3

This product makes my foundation absolutely waterproof and my look lasts all day. It's very very light and really weightless. I've tried plenty of primers but none that were this light yet powerful. I buff it in using the large Hourglass brush. Definitely going to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2012 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Sabastien

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love love love. I have tried countless primers for my very oily skin. This is the only one that has actually minimized my blotting from every 2 hours to maybe 4 or 5 if my makeup has been on for 12+ hours. I work early mornings so I apply my makeup at 5am, and it stays on till I shower around 6-7pm. Depending on what foundation I pair it with.(mufe hd doesn't hold up as well, but my Loreal truematch, mac matchmaster, and smashbox studios skin, and revlon colorstay all work great for me with it.) But yea... I shelled out $60 cdn for this. Call me crazy, but if you come across a product that actually works for you and meets your high demands, its really worth it. Im 28, and after trying primer after primer that claims to control oil and fails, and needing to blot every 2 hours is a pain in the butt. I want to add that I don't even need to use a full pump of this. about half a pump is all I need, I get no "white cast" that other reviewers talk about, for ref, Im an nc25-30
I do also feel though that finding the right skin cleanser and moisturizer is also key to how your makekup hold up throught the day.
I also read some revews about there being a trial size? If its the little one next to the oil free mineral veil, then its a complelty different product all together. I asked the sales acc the difference between the two and the smaller was not oil free...different formulation. This might be why some reveiwers found the "travel size" not working for them.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2012 9:04:00 PM More reviews by erin526

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this ages ago and used it a few times with different foundations (I only wear primer and foundation when going out, use chantecaille future skin everyday) then it sat on my bathroom cabinet for about 6 months. Used it last night wit Estée Lauder DW light and it was like BOOM match made in heaven! Was a bit naughty (ok a lot naughty) and fell into bed when I got gome without taking my makeup off and lo and behold it was still perfect this morning! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE I will never neglect this baby again!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2012 11:26:00 AM More reviews by AllieCheeks

I ADORE this primer! It goes on smoothly and doesn't feel greasy at all. I have combination skin and tend to get oily in some areas by the afternoon and this cuts that down while keeping my makeup in place all day:)

It's expensive but you only have to use a tiny bit so it's well worth it:)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2012 3:49:00 PM More reviews by songy67

I had heard so many amazing things about this primer and picked up a sample packet to try. I loved it. The texture is like satin and it feels soo nice as you are rubbing it into your skin. After my sample was done I picked up the .17oz travel size and incorporated this primer into my foundation routine. This is where it starts going downhill. Instead of controlling my oilies, it seems to exacerbate them and as the day wears on, makes my foundation (Givenchy's Photoperfexion) cake up and crack and look just terrible. Even upon the initial application I haven't noticed any pore/ wrinkle-smoothing effects or any of the redness-soothing properties it claims... nada... it just feels nice to apply but otherwise does nothing for me as an added step in my routine.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2012 6:25:00 PM More reviews by AJT711

I have never been big on primers; I always buy them use em for a week then forget about them. This primer gets alot of praise for it's ingredients. It doesn't mattify your face like other primers do; to me it seems moisturizing.

If I had to pick one primer to use I would go for this one; esp. because it's water proof. I can't wait to try this in the hot humid summer weather to see how my makeup holds up.