April 17, 2014 | 938 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Hourglass - Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2011 7:13:00 PM More reviews by PurpleElephants

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm almost afraid to write this because I'm afraid that I will jinx it, but so far, I really like this primer a lot. It makes my skin look so smooth, and my foundation looks so pretty over it. Many primers seem to break me out (which is what I'm afraid will start happening with this one), but so far, so good. I originally bought the travel size because it's so expensive and I wanted to be sure that I would like it, but I just invested in a full-sized bottle. To me, it's worth it, because it does make a difference in how my face looks, and it should last for a fairly long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2011 1:36:00 PM More reviews by starling21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm a nurse, and I work 12 hour shifts. This primer keeps my makeup in place all day. It is my HG primer. I've tried primers from MUFE, Smashbox, Tarte, Korres, L'oreal, etc. This primer minimizes my pores and helps control shine. My face breaks out very easily, and most primers clog my pores. I actually think this primer has helped lessen my breakouts. I was hesitant to even try this primer because of the price. I thought the girl at Sephora was just trying to sell me the most expensive product. However, it is amazing! I got caught in the rain one day, and my makeup was still in place when I finally made it to cover. I love this primer, and it is totally worth the price. I can't recommend it enough.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2011 7:56:00 PM More reviews by KGirl24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow, this is a great primer. It really helps keep my makeup on. Its very silky and feels nice when you put it on. I would not repurchase this for two reasons. One, it is extremely expensive. I mean I know its good but I just cannot justify the price. Also, and more importantly, my skin must have had a slight reaction to it. Wherever I put this primer, my skin had tiny bumps all over.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2011 1:02:00 AM More reviews by livelafflovee53

This Primer is amazing. I reccommend it to everyone, especially people with oily/combination skin. My skin is oily/combination and i have had not so much luck with primers in the past. I've tried quite a few .. Laura Mercier, Sonia Kashuk, Smashbox, NP set, and i beleive a rimmel one( i think it was rimmel) I never really even used primer before just becase at the end of the day the makeup around my mouth still always came off by the end of the day. I actually bought this primer with no knowledge of it at all. I stopped by sephora just to look around and I picked up a sample and figured I'd give it a try, honestly I liked the nice look of the packaging. I took it to the counter and the lady asked me if I ever used it before.I said no and she told me it was the best primer she'd ever used. I didnt really think much of her saying that because I hear that all the time, and of course theyre going to say good things about the products but I took it home and immediately fell in love with it. I've been using it for a couple months now, and I love it. Its the only primer i've ever found that actually does what it's supposed to. When I wear this all of my makeup stays on, even the areas around my mouth where my makeup used to always come off at. I love the fact that its oil free and doesn't break me out at all. I have really sensitive acne prone skin so I can't use a lot of products without breaking out and this doesn't break me out at all. Oh and it makes my face sooo soft. Even softer than smashbox. I cannot say enough good things about this primer.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2011 3:23:00 PM More reviews by katiedyer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this primer!! My skin is combination, my T zone gets soo oily, I have tried makeup forever and benefits primers, my foundation would last about 5 hours before my skin started coming through, with hourglass at least 7 hours still i start to get oily, great product! Expensive, tried the small size 20 dollars!! lasted me two weeks, defiantly will invest in an bigger bottle. Only downfall it did start to break me out, though after two weeks my skin seemed to get more used to it! defiantly recommend :)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2011 11:47:00 AM More reviews by flauntit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a good primer, but I do think this would work much better for someone with oily skin. My skin is typically Normal to Dry so that could have affected my experience with this product.

Texture: In comparison to my other primers (Tarte's ReCreate primer and Shu Uemura's Stage Performer), this has a silky feel. It creates a smooth base but it's not moisturizing like Tarte's. I do not have any dry patches at the moment but when I do, I don't remember this doing much for it. But it feels much more lightweight than Shu's, which feels like a thick gel when I apply it. This formula melts into your skin and you don't feel it in a matter of minutes.

Performance: From Sephora's website - "This clean, satin-finish formula helps keep makeup looking fresh and prevents fading. Veil Mineral Primer also absorbs excess oils and minimizes the appearance of pores by evenly distributing light to help hide and soften skin imperfections and fine lines."
That line - absorbing oils - just points out how this can be quite beneficial to an oily skin person, but that isn't a huge concern for me. The satin-finish is accurate, but I wouldn't agree with my makeup looking fresh. I would associate that with the Recreate, and the glow that Stage Performer creates is amazing (!!!) but honestly I didn't think this primer made my skin look fresh, bright, etc. If I was having a dull skin day this did nothing really to fix that. Does it soften skin imperfections? Yes - but the Stage Performer does this much, MUCH better in my opinion. The Mineral Primer does reduce redness a little bit, but I wouldn't say its enough to skip foundation or cover up.

Lasting Time: This is definitely one of it's benefits, this makes foundation last for hours!

Price/Packaging: The packaging is very nice, it isn't bulky and it just looks and feels professional in your hand. I didn't have any issues with the pump. It is expensive as 1 oz can cost you over $50. I would be willing to spend that money on this primer again IF I hadn't found a better one, my Stage Performer...but I won't lie - I hate spending big money on only 1 oz of product!!

Overall I do think this primer has some qualities to praise, but as I look for a primer that gives my skin a 'pick-me-up' on rough days and my mositurizer isn't doing it, and this didn't perform to that task. But if you need oil control this could provide you that need, as well as it will keep your foundation on for hours. And really, isn't that the ideal reason to wear primer?

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2011 2:04:00 PM More reviews by galai_curryqueen9830

Just a heads up, I did not purchase this. I got a sample from Sephora. I have normal/dry skin. My cheeks are on the drier side, whereas my forehead, nose and chin are normal.

I was going to Asia for the summer and so I needed a primer that would help my foundation stay as long as it could. I asked a sale associate and she said that this primer would do the trick. When I first tested this primer on the back of my hand, I did not have to use a lot to cover my whole hand.

When you first spread it out, it feels somewhat oily. However, after you rub it in and let it set for a minute or two, it made my skin feel super soft and velvety. It definitely made my foundation glide on smoother and easier, as well as "blurring" out any of my acne marks/nasty stuff.

It doesn't feel thick on your skin so that's amazing as sometimes, with other primers such as MUFE/MAC, it feels like I have a film over my face, and this doesn't.

This didn't clog my pores at all compared to other primers, which was surprising because I pretty much expected it to as most primers contain silicone. I didn't ask/read the ingredient list so I don't know whether or not it contains silicon. It also did not irritate my skin (bonus!) due to all the parabens/sulfates/dyes that were absent in this primer.

It definitely helped my make up stay longer. I didn't expect it to maintain my face matte (nothing would if you are in a place where it is 90% humid!!) but it did prevent my foundation from sliding off my face - which was my first priority.

HOWEVER - now that I am back in Canada, I can give more of an accurate review since Canada never gets up to 36 degrees Celsius and is never 90% humid!! This stuff is magical!! My face stayed pretty matte the whole day, and my foundation/blush/bronzer stayed on all day without any touch ups! I don't use a lot, just a dime size amount for the entire face because this stuff spreads out wonderfully!!

the packaging of this is nice, very expensive feeling (since you are paying $60 for this. It has a matte glass bottle, which is horrible since it can break when you drop it. It comes with a very sturdy pump so you can precisely control how much product you want out. From the amount I was using when I was in Hong Kong, I'm pretty sure that a full bottle (1 oz) will last a year - given that I only use this for when I want to look super nice.

The price...oh, the price. The price is really the only downside to this product. $60 for a primer is wayy to expensive, even if it'll last me a year. I understand that it does an amazing job - but 60 is just too much for me to fork out, especially if I don't use this everyday.
HOWEVER, given how fabulous this product is, I'm not surprised at how expensive it is since it does make my face flawless for 12+ hours and doesn't break me out.

OVERALL:
I love this primer, except for the cost. It makes my foundation stay on HOURS longer, helps my fdn glide on smoother and doesn't break me out. This primer does contain SPF 15 so its nice because it does provide some sun protection. It is also water proof so if you're worried about sweating a little or anything, you're fine. It does cost $60 for 1oz, so if you don't mind paying the price, then definitely go for it!!

If you want something similar to this but cheaper, do try out MUFE's normal, clear primer as it is pretty similar to this one, despite it does make me break out/has no SPF.

I personally would not purchase this again just because it is way to expensive for me. I would, however, ask for another sample since I only use this for special occasions.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2011 2:18:00 PM More reviews by oolala30

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Color me impressed! I have been using this for a week so far and I am just amazed at how awesome it is. I chose this primer due to it was recommended to me by a Sephora SA. I told her that my main concern was keeping my oiliness at bay so that my foundation would remain in place. I am UBER oily!!! I told her I was desperate for something/anything that could help me. She then gave me a huge sample of this primer and it has been everything that I hoped it would turn out to be. My foundation applies smoothly and looks great! And most of all, I dont have to blot my skin numerous times a day. I hardly have to blot at all. I really love this primer. The only drawback is the price. I think $52 is quite expensive but since its the only thing that seems to work for me, I will bite the bullet and pay the price. When my sample is gone, I WILL buy a full bottle of this.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2011 11:27:00 PM More reviews by theanginator

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm on my third or fourth bottle of this and I most definitely give it a high ranking. It does a fantastic job at keeping my foundation in place throughout the day, evens out the appearance of my pores, keeps me less oily, and has an SPF to boot. I hate that it is so costly but I have never come across another primer that even remotely comes close to what this one does. I've tried my foundation without it just to see what happens and I have to say, this stuff really makes my makeup look better.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/10/2011 11:46:00 PM More reviews by mikahsteele

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I obtained a sample of this from Sephora. I was satisfied with the way it seemed to reduce my pores prior to applying the Hourglass foundation. After applying it, I used my go to MAC concealer and it caked up under my eyes, that has never happened before. I removed it with a makeup wipe and instead used my Benefit Primer. I can't imagine using this product in the future based on this, in combination with the cost.