Chanel Mascara Exceptionnel

3.6

Water, paraffin, styrene/acrylates/ammonium methacrylate copolymer, stearic acid, palmitic acid, beeswax, acacia senegal gum extract, carnauba wax, triethanolamine, vp/hexadecene copolymer, ethylene/va copolymer, hydroxyethylcellulose, cellulose, aminomethyl propanediol, phenoxyethanol, silica, butylene glycol, methylparaben, propylparaben, polyquaternium-10, microcrystalline wax, sodium laureth-12 sulfate, synthetic wax, potassium sorbate, edta, dimethicone. May contain: carmine, ultramarines, bismuth oxychloride, chromium cyanide, manganese violet, titanium dioxide, mica.

on 9/26/2008 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I rarely wear eye makeup, but this mascara made me want to do my eyes every day! I'm another Allure panelist, and due to my infrequency with mascara, I put off trying it, but when I did, I *loved* it. Others have already sufficiently described the rather unique brush, and I loved the smooth, totally clump-free application it afforded (the instructions helped, too). I also found that the formula *did* curl my lashes & held the curl well; guess I just have a different type of lash. I also got nice volume and day-long, totally smudge- and flake-free wear from this product, and most importantly, it didn't irritate my super-sensitive eyes whatsoever, and most mascaras do. I also did not experience any lash dryness or "crunchiness" as other posters have noted. Removal was a snap with Clinique "Take the Day Off" balm.

All in all, I was very impressed with this mascara--my lashes looked inky, separated and lovely. Will very likely buy the full-size...

on 9/26/2008 2:47:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I too got this as a sample from Allure. It's OK, holds up well throughout the day although my curled eyelashes straightened out more than usual. Extremely hard to remove even with a decent eye makeup remover. I've learned to let it sit on for a while before removing. That helps. When wet, it tends to come off in flakes which can be brushed away rather than smearing which could be an advantage. I discovered this when I washed my hair on the spur of the moment (Kneeling by side of tub with head under faucet) and of course got some water on my face and in my eyes. I dusted off the mascara flakes and didn't look too bad, but without much mascara on. The reason I gave this 4 lippies and may repurchase is that it looks better on my bottom lashes than anything I have ever used that actually remained on. It goes on thin and natural with minimal flaking and clumping and only one tiny smear at the end of the day which was easily removed with a Q tip. If I disregard the rule about discarding after 3 months, and for my lower lashes I probably will, this $28 mascara can last me a long time.

on 9/26/2008 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I had high hopes for this mascara as it seemed to offer an answer to all my mascara prayers - I thought that this was going to be HG, sadly it wasn't... far from it.
To begin with I liked it - it gave me great volume, length but was not great at separating. No complaints, just nothing to shout about either. After 3 weeks of using this (not daily) I threw it away!!! I hated it!!!! It made all my lashes stick together in one gunky mess and was a pain to apply - I don't think I ever got the hang of it anyway.
I ADORE Chanel, it's my fave brand, but this is a BIG NO for me - sadly.
I'm going to stick to my HG - Inimitable.

on 9/26/2008 2:37:00 AM

This is really dramatic! The comb deposits the mascara and thickens while the brush feathers out the lashes so they're not clumpy. The best way to apply it is to rotate it up while gently applying pressure (to curl it up a bit). Chanel's Inimitable is really good but I think this one is better. Unless you like bold lashes all the time (I do) this is better for night. Like many really great mascaras, it's not the easiest to apply. It takes some getting used to but it's definitely worth it.

on 9/25/2008 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I was very excited to receive this through the Allure panel, but I'm afraid it didn't quite live up to my expectations. It is extremely difficult to remove, though it doesn't smudge, which is nice. I do agree that it makes lashes dry and crunchy, which is also a pet peeve of mine. The wand is very interesting- it has alternating lash combs and more traditional mascara wand rows. I noticed that twirling the wand while applying really upped the volume while separating better, but frankly the formula is just way to thick and gloopy for the wand to even work. I like a dramatic look, but I don't like looking like a Drag Queen. I'll stick to Max Factor, it's like seven bucks and works so much better!

on 9/25/2008 10:45:00 PM

I really wanted to like this product. I found the brush awkward since the bristles were further apart. It took several tries to get my lashes right, but this one did separate like no other. I really didn't feel it added any volume. It went on without clumping but I really didn't find anything "exceptionnel" about it. It was just decent. Like other reviewers have said, this stuff sticks like a mother. I would apply the mascara in the morning, wash my face that night and again in the shower in the a.m. When I went to put makeup on, i still had smudgy smears under my eyes. I still prefer Max Factor Volume Couture.

on 9/25/2008 10:39:00 PM

Another Allure recipient here. I really wanted to like this product ... but alas, Exceptionnel, we are incompatible.

There are two major problems with this, in my experience: the performance and the effect on the lashes. I didn't get any extra volume with this and absolutely zero curl. I may, yes, have the world's most difficult to curl lashes, but. Okay. You're Chanel. You could at least try to make something work if you're going to charge a bras and a jambe for it. Sheesh. I even used the brush/comb thing correctly.

To add insult to injury, I swear that this turned my lashes into Stale Bread--dry and crunchy. They were so dry, they actually hurt, if that is possible.

bottom line: If you are looking for a mascara and you have an S&M leaning, try this! Otherwise, seek your HG elsewhere.

on 9/25/2008 7:51:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I was recently on the Allure Experts panel for this product. Ladies, if you're looking for a mascara that won't come off no matter what, this is the product for you. Unfortunately, if you've read my other mascara reviews, you know that is the deal-breaker for me in a mascara. This stuff did not come off with soap/water, DHC Cleansing Oil, Lancôme Bi-Facil makeup remover, Cosmence (CCB-Paris) makeup remover, or Ulta makeup remover. I was waking up to raccoon smears under my eyes the next morning. Ironically, it didn't stay put during the day, either. (And of course they sent me black, which is to be expected but added insult to injury)

The only good thing about this product is the brush. It is a unique design: three plastic-toothed bladelike combs along the shaft, and three smaller nylon fringes between the plastic combs. I must say that brush did distribute the mascara and separate the lashes nicely. After I 86'd the mascara, I washed the brush and saved it for future use with mascaras I like. continued >>

on 9/25/2008 7:38:00 PM

Another allure sampler. I did not want to like this stuff, LOL. I've been super happy with my Imju Fiberwig, but I thought, "what the hell" and gave it a try. I have extremely deep-set eyes, that are on the smallish side, and almond shaped. Putting mascara on is always a chore, and the Fiberwig was the only stuff I could find that wouldn't smudge.

What I love about it: doesn't smudge (amazing!), and unlike the Fiberwig, it gives fantastic volume. Once I got the hang of applying it, the curl was excellent (I don't curl my lashes, the curlers are too big, and I always end up pinching something). And the black was BLACK. I haven't had any problem removing it using Neutrogena makeup remover cloths.

Initially, when I saw the price, I thought "no WAY", but you know what? After 10 days of using it, I bought a tube of my very own today, using Allure's free shipping offer that came with the follow up survey.

We'll see how it holds up over the next three months, as to whether I'll keep spending the money. It's only $6 more than the Fiberwig, after all.

on 9/25/2008 11:47:00 AM

i just recieved this mascara in a sample size from Allure magazine. i tried it today and it is amazing it made my lashes 100% longer and thicker and fuller it looks like im wearing fake lashes the regular retail is 28$ i got the sample in black noir or black two thumbs up for this one

Popular Mascaras