Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals ALL

2.9

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 12.6%, Zinc Oxide 21%. Inactive Ingredients: Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica, Iron Oxides, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide

on 12/21/2007 10:05:00 AM

I recently received the starter kit as a gift from my mom..and I was so excited to try it! After about 3 days of wearing it my face broke out so badly!! I am very upset. I normally have very clear skin...I'm taking this back to sephora tomorrow and going to the dermatologist today!

on 12/20/2007 3:12:00 PM

I started using this in 05'. I have flawless, naturally moderate/dry skin. Everytime I try to go back to this stuff, it makes me look overly made up. Not natural looking. Settles in all my wrinkles, and causes horrible breakouts.. cystic breakouts! Doesn't live up to it's hype. But if you want to use a natural bronzer, their bronzer is beautiful and flawless. That's the only good thing I know of their mineral products.

on 12/20/2007 12:14:00 PM

I've been using the foundation and eye shadows for about a year and am pretty happy with them. The foundation (I usually wear Light) is a great match for my skin tone and it goes on quickly. I can get medium coverage at best, which is great for every day but is generally not enough for special occasions (I use a liquid concealer underneath the foundation for special occasions and this helps a great deal). The foundation system a bit pricey at first, but the full sized products last for quite awhile so I feel I get my money's worth in the end. I too have had a bit of trouble with it coming off a bit by the end of the day, but I tend to have this problem with nearly all foundations (I'm meaning to try their Prime Time fixative... that might help. Overall, despite the aforementioned problems I like it better then the other foundations I've tried.

on 12/19/2007 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've been using Bare Minerals on and off for years. I love that I look finished without looking -- or feeling -- like I'm wearing a mask. It really looks like my skin, but better, and it doesn't get caught in my lines like a liquid foundation. I have dry skin, so I like the slight sheen and don't use the mineral veil. I find that I get the best results from using the Kabuki brush for the foundation -- it really smooshes it into the skin, giving me good coverage w/o too much shine. Speaking of brushes, Bare Escentuals has the best brushes! I love the contoured blush brush and every other brush I've bought from them. The blushes and eye shadows are great, but I had to go to the store to play with them to find the right color for my skin. True Soft Focus is a good blush for my fair/med skin, and Clear Radiance gives me a nice glow if I didn't get enough sleep.

on 12/19/2007 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

BE is the worst when it comes to mineral makeup. If you have cystic acne or sensitive skin this will make it worse. It's expensive, the colors are too yellow based and too shiny. It also makes me itch so badly that after 3 hours, I have to wash my face and use Eucercin redness relief to calm my skin. They use Bismuth Oxychloride which is well known to make skin itch and break out in red bumps. Because of the shiny particles this stuff settles into every line and pore on your face. I tried 3 different primers and still the same look. My boyfriend told me it made me look 5 years older. Not what you want to hear.

BE has good marketing but nothing else. Colorscience, EM and even Pur minerals are much better than BE. The only good thing that BE makes is their Skin rever upper. I threw all my BE's out.

Update: I found out that the Bismuth Oxychloride found in a lot of makeups (Not just in BE) is toxic and acneic. If you are using BE and have a problem with clogged pores, rosacea and acne, I advise you to stop using this and switch to a Bismuth free mineral makeup. a lot of mineral makeup companies are now not putting Bismuth in their formulas. They recognize how bad it is for you. Read your labels MUA sisters!

Here is a little blurb about Bismuth Oxychloride.
"It's a very heavy element, which makes it difficult for many people to wear. It has to be forced into the pores (hence the buffing technique) otherwise it is capable of sliding off the wearer's face. The heaviness can result in clogged pores or irritated skin. Bismuth oxychloride often feels silky and not rough when rubbed between the fingers. Mineral makeup companies that do not use it have a lighter feeling makeup that usually blends into the skin better and with less effort.

Its molecular makeup is a crystalline shape, which may be a cause of the itchiness some women get when they wear it. Many women experience noticeable itching when they sweat. Don't forget it is also kin to arsenic, chemically. Your body will reject things it does not like, and if you'll get sick from ingesting arsenic, it would make sense that your skin would get irritated from having arsenic forced into it."

on 12/16/2007 8:57:00 PM

I have to admit, it is a bit expensive...for me anyway. I will still buy it again because it works well for me. The color is just right, surprisingly since there are so little choices. It can get a bit oily by the end of the day but that's no big deal. Overall a good product.
I really feel sorry for those who used their Kabuki brush...it is not very good...almost as bad as the Sephora Kabuki brush.

on 12/16/2007 8:02:00 PM

I have very sensitive skin and heard rave reviews about this product so decided to give it a try. Although it makes my skin look great, and the colour is a perfect match (I'm an NC30-35 and used medium beige) it made my skin itch like CRAZY every time I sweated! At first I couldn't figure out why. I thought the winter weather was making my skin feel extra dry. But after reading other reviews from people with the same problem, I now realize it's because of this product. The product doesn't last very long either. Too bad. I won't buy it again.

on 12/14/2007 1:07:00 PM

I've been using BE since March (about 9 months) and I love it. My skin is combination oily/dry, I am very fair with yellow udertones. I use the fairly light foundation (I think...) and it is a great color match. My skin does not break out as much as it used to when I was using liquid foundation. In fact, I actually don't wash my face at night (I know, it's horrible) but my skin is so much clearer now! I haven't switched face wash or moisturizer or anything else in my facial care routine, just my makeup, so I know it's the BE. I feel like I get just the right amount of coverage that I like without feeling either too bare, or too heavy. And at the end of the day my face feels just as good as it did in the morning. It looks very natural and is quick in the morning to apply.
As is true with every product out there, this is good for some people but not all. If this worked great for everyone, there wouldn't be any other products out there!
For me, I love it. I have turned my mom, sister, friends, roommates onto this. Some like it and some don't. But those who like it, love it!
I don't think that any product is a bad product just because it doesn't work for some people. Everyone's skin is different, so the best products out there are the ones that work right for you. Don't let all the bad reviews on BE turn you away from trying it - but don't get mad if it doesn't work for you. I can't tell you how many different brands of makeup I tried before I found something that worked well for my skin!

on 12/13/2007 10:45:00 AM

I've been using BE for about 3 years since a friend introduced it to me in college. I am asian with yellow undertones and i use NC30-35 in mac. I use medium beige for BE. when i first got the medium kit, i found that the Medium one made my skin look... ashy and purple! i think medium beige is the perfect match for my skin. when i found my color and was satisfied with the match, I got all my roommates to use this product because i was such a fan. So here's the basic breakdown:

Packaging:

It's a bit of a hassle. If you're not careful, the stuff gets everywhere. If you're heavy handed, prepare to have your vanity coated with this stuff.
And make sure you don't completely take off the white sticker completely, just peel it off slightly to reveal one row of holes for the powder to come through, otherwise when you're traveling wiht it it'll all spill out and it'll be hard to get the right amount into the lid for application.

Price:

I think it's on the pricey side, but it does last a long time. In the beginning i went through it really fast because i was using way too much. A little goes a long way.

Application:

I didnt think it was as easy as those women on the informercial portrayed. It took me a little longer to put it on then those people but a lot faster than liquid foundation. i used the kabuki brush when i wanted more coverage, and the face brush for everyday. IMPORTANT you must wash your brush, though not too frequently or it will damage the bristles. I diluted a little bit of the mac brush cleaner in luke warm water and soaked the brushes for a while then just rinsed them off. this seemed to work very well. Also, i found that concealing noticeable spots/blemishes AFTER putting on the initial layer of BE worked better for me. if the concealed spots are too noticeable i just buffed over it to blend it in more.

Staying Power:

while i loved the glowy coverage it gave me, i'm currently in search for new foundation becuase it just does not stay on. I have a fairly oily complexion and it stays on for a couple hours then... kind of just starts sliding all over the place. even with the mineral veil powder (which i dont really think does much) especially in teh summer, i have had battles with this foundation. but i kept with it because i really do love the way it makes my skin look, and it kept my skin very clear.

overall, i think this is a great foundation and gives great natural, glowy coverage. I will never stop using warmth because i think it is the greatest bronzer ever. I just wish it stayed on my face better.

on 12/13/2007 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I tried and tried to like this product. I think most of the claims are true: it feels light on the skin, it lasts a long time, and it does cover well BUT (here it comes) nothing has ever made my face break out like this does. I don't have cystic acne until I use this. Once I do use it, over night, my face explodes. Well, not literally, but you get the idea. Sorry BE! This is def not for me.