August 20, 2014 | 2033 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2009 12:01:00 AM More reviews by tracyltrust

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Prior to this I purchased MUFE Face and Body due to the overwhelmingly high rating but I found it to be extremely light coverage (almost "why bother" coverage) and my closest color match (20) was just a tad too dark...
Enter MUFE HD: light to medium COVERAGE, (which is, afterall, what I use foundation for) blends easily and seamlessly,and doesn't look like makeup on my face. It also holds up throughout the day remarkably well! The finish is satiny (neither matte nor dewey) and undectable. It really gives a soft focus finish; blurring and diminishing my pores and discolorations nicely.
I can use my fingers to apply this and 2 pumps is more than enough for my entire face. I use a damp sponge when I want a more sheer finish. I have tried stippling this w/ a skunk brush but I find that this foundation needs to be blended to work its magic.Stippling left a cakey finish which has been impossible to achieve with this foundation for me with any other method.
I do need to use concealer for blemishes and undereye with this. The HD does take blemishes and circles down a notch, however MUFE Full Cover makes them vanish completely.

I've been having great luck smoothing a bit of Monistat anti-chafing gel as a primer on before this. The primer fills in my pores and slight smile lines as well as smooths out any rough or dry patches I might have.
When I don't use a primer with this at the end of the day there is some foundation settled into pores around my nose and into my fine smile lines. I've yet to find something that doesn't do this w/out primer, however. (If someone else has I'd love to hear what it is...feel free to message me!)
The color match is perfection for me. I use 117 and nothing has come as close as this. I'm quite pale and yellow, 20 in F&B is too dark and I wear Stila B, Carmindy Ecru Beige, Bobbi Brown Porcelain...Hope this helps!
EDIT: I have repurchased this! This is the first foundation I have repurchased in a long time so that's really saying something...I adore this foundation.
EDIT #2: While I still find this foundation to be wonderful I have fallen in love with Kevyn Aucoin's Sensual Skin Enhancer. (FYI, The SSE can be mixed into the MUFE HD to enhance the coverage you get from the MUFE.)
I get more coverage from the KA and I prefer it for a more polished look. It takes a bit more work but is worth it (I have a review for the KA SSE if you're curious) The finish of the KA SSE is a touch more moist but not full on dewey either.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2009 11:50:00 AM More reviews by tinax3

I think I can finally give this a nice review after wearing it for some weeks now. Before I tried out the MUFE foundation I used the Vincent Longo's foundation and it was okay but I felt like it didn't give me the staying power that I needed. Also I kinda didn't want that dewy look so that was out of the door. Since the Vincent Longo's foundation didn't last very long I usually set the foundation with drugstore mineral foundation and that was a pain in the ass.By doing that I felt like my makeup was somewhat cakey and I didn't like how I had to layer more and more powder ontop of my foundation.
So when I finally had enough money I purchased this after hearing rave reviews from some and I fell in love! I went to my local sephora and had the SA help me picked out my shade and it was perfect. I'm #123. I love how this foundation looks on me, it looks flawless. Also, what I love about this foundation that it truly is long lasting! I don't even have to have primer on my face for this to last all day but I still like to use primer. I will definitely repurchase my HG foundation<3 I wish it was cheaper though but its definitely worth the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/1/2009 2:09:00 PM More reviews by TSweetie

Great foundation, matte fiinish, shows flawlessly in pictures. After a couple of hours though, I found this foundation a bit too oily for me, especially around the t-zone. Good foundation, but not my HG.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2009 3:59:00 PM More reviews by Tiffani1

I am NC30 in MAC and 123 in MUFE HD. I'm on the fence with this. It doesn't make me break out and that why I keep buying it. I love MAC Studio fix, but it breaks me out. This makes me look oily, but so does everything else(even Estee Lauder Double Wear) I don't like the mask look of Double Wear. I will buy this till I feel like buying something else.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2009 12:58:00 AM More reviews by cchien

its a lightweight foundation. i am satisfied with its performance but i dont think i would buy it again because its not that spectacular. im NC30 in mac and i wear shade 123. some days it looks good, some days not so much

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2009 10:02:00 AM More reviews by brillopad

I really wanted to love this because of all the rave reviews on the makeup board, but I ended up returning it.

I bought this for around $40 at Sephora in shade 118 (you can ask for samples of it too). It comes in a plastic bottle with a pump and the consistency is like a liquidy cream. The color match was great and it covered pretty well, but I didn't like this foundation very much.

First of all, it was difficult to pump out the right amount. I needed maybe one and a half pumps to get good coverage on my skin, but it was hard to get half a pump instead of a full pump so I always ended up with too much. Secondly, my skin also gets oily towards the end of the day and I didn't feel like this foundation dealt with the oil very well. With my now HG (Gowoonsesang's BB Cream), even if my skin got oily, it would sort of mold into the foundation and the overall look would be glowy, but with MUFE HD, I felt like I had foundation and grease streaks.

You're also going to have to apply this with a brush or wet sponge. I tried applying with my fingertips at first, but a lot of it caked on my fingers so it made it difficult to get an even layer on my skin. Even with a brush, I found it hard to build coverage with lots of layers without looking like I was wearing a pound of makeup. I also read that this product photographed really well, but my skin still looked a bit pasty in pictures with flash (even though I wasn't wearing any sunscreen or mineral makeup underneath).

However, I do like the HD better than the Face/Body. The Face and Body is very runny and you have to shake it up before you use it. You can also "feel" the Face/Body more on your skin than the HD and it is not as matte.

Overall, I think the HD is a pretty decent product, but I just felt like it was missing something to make it HG for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/24/2009 3:05:00 PM More reviews by atsui

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Price: $50 CDN at Sephora. Not worth it.

Colour: MUFE colour section is the greatest thing going on for this product - caters to many people of colour. The colour of the product stayed true on me.

Staying power: not good. This foundation loved to streak the direction of my facial oils on my T-Zone. It wasn't hard to wash off at the end of the day with facial cleanser.

Coverage: the coverage was medium, but after a few hours, if you're oily-skinned, it'll turn to light/non-existent coverage.

Texture: the texture was light and I like how smooth it felt; it was hard for me to apply because you can't build it on itself.

Acne causing: this foundation gave me blackheads, almost as badly as MAC products do.

Packaging: I like the pump dispenser. The problem is that I would try to make it pump only 1/2 the amount (hard to do) since the full pump was too much product for my face.

I'm glad Sephora has such a great Return Policy because this baby went back to the store two months after purchase. I can see this being a Best-Seller at Sephora (which is how I got around to buying it), but it must also be a Best-Returner. I prefer The Body Shop's Flawless creme foundation instead.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/23/2009 5:43:00 PM More reviews by bella2424

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After all the hype that I had been hearing about this product, I had to try it. I have to say that I am very disappointed in this product. The packaging is okay, but up close the bottle looks a little cheap. I like that it's a pump bottle, but the bottle itself seems like a cheap plastic. As for the coverage, it was just okay. As far as it looking "HD"...I really didn't feel that there was anything spectacular about this product.

In fact, I feel quite the opposite. I would never purchase this product again. It sinks into every line on my face (and I am only 25-I don't have many lines). It looks SO obvious on my skin. It doesn't blend well. It just felt like it was sitting on my skin. It felt very cakey and heavy. If you have even slight dryness to your skin, it will show up very obviously when applying this foundation. Overall, the coverage was not even, but it feels like you're wearing a mask on your face. I definitely won't buy this again...not worth the price. It's going back!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/23/2009 4:38:00 PM More reviews by sm1lezx1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok so I really wanted to love this product. I was excited b/c as most of you guys know Sephora was having a 15% off sale just this week/last week.

Pros-
-Feels so lightweight..like your skin. Really thin compared to my usual studio fix nc30
-Looks like my skin wow :) plus there for me

Negative-
-It makes me greasy and that is after I set it with a powder too..need to touch up couple times a day
-You really need to build to give you a med/full coverage
-A little too sheer...I was surprised b/c it's supposed to be medium to buildable coverage
-The price obviously.. $40 is a lot!!
-it makes my pores look big .. ? wtf i know right

I don't know to be paying $40 for a foundation my ideal would be something that stays on my face and does not make me greasy. I am a total matte freak .. and this just didn't do it for me.. :(

I don't know..maybe because the weather here in Socal has been utterly crazy..it was almost 100 for 2-3 days..so really what foundation could last through that?? I will be using it one more time today .. the weather is 73 today?? Not hot at all. I am looking into trying Revlon colorstay I heard that thing does not budge. Will update later. !
xoxo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2009 6:57:00 PM More reviews by sana_j

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product on and off for a few months. Overall, it provides great coverage and the color match is alright. I am 153 in this, and when I have a slight tan or in the summer it is a better match. My only issue with this foundation is that it can be drying so I can't use it if my skin is broken out in any eczema or dry patches. I solve this dryness problem by spritzing on MAC's Fix+ over my makeup. I am a MAC nc40-42 and Armani LSF 8