October 31, 2014 | 1545 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2009 6:07:00 PM More reviews by myluckypenny

I was on an EPIC quest for the perfect foundation coverage for a good two months - and I swear, the people at Sephora probably started to think I was just some cheapskate coming in for samples every time I ran out to avoid purchasing something... haha.

Anyways, after dabbling with BE, Laura Mercier, Dior, and MAC Studio Fix - I settled with MUFE's foundation and primer because a SA applied it to a girl standing next to me, and she literally went through an ugly duckling transformation in minutes!!! I had the SA match me, and it covered beautifully. I used to use Stila's TM and I would always look shiny in pictures... and w/ this, I look "dewy" - not "shiny"...

The color stays well, and I like that it doesn't mask all of my features. I have a few freckles and a mole I would very much like to let shine through, instead of hiding it under a layer of gunk that might imply I am ashamed of them.

ALSO, I've had terrible monthly acne breakouts for the longest time, it has helped my skin heal, and my face is actually free of breakouts 90% of the time now! After a month of use, my face is actually smooth, and I don't feel gross if I decide to go a day w/o makeup! I can't wait to see the results after 6 mos. of usage!

I do want to purchase their microfinish powder to set it with, because right now, I'm just using a pressed powder foundation from MAC. That's one thing that could be a pro or a con with MUFE products:

MUFE only works well with MUFE... there's no mixing and matching to mess around with. True, for those that like to color match or mess w/ makeup formulas, this could be a hassle to throw out your old makeup regimen to restock with an arsenal of MUFE products... [and it could be costly] - BUT I feel that I am one of those that like to keep things simple - quick - and easy, so buying everything from one brand does not bother me if it delivers what is promised. My only gripe is the price, but that's beauty for ya'.

Def. repurchase, MUF junky is born!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2009 5:01:00 PM More reviews by jmonacruz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

One of our fellow MUA's referred this product to me when I noticed her reviews. She mentioned her use of Makeupforever green concealer.

I needed good coverage for a bad break out due to stress. I had a funeral to go to and was freaked out about seeing family I haven't seen for ages. Before I went to Sephora to purchase this product, I checked reviews on the web about it. Acne prone users had plenty of good things to say, so I decided to try it. This product worked well on my skin. It covered my break outs, dark circles and fine lines around the eyes and mouth. It saved me from having to feel insecure about yet another breakout. I received lots of complements and was able to deal with the tough events at hand.

The foundation felt super light on my skin. Lighter than Bare Essentials. My former powder. Makeupforever 128 Almond, didn't make me break. Actually, I started clearing up. Now I realize that Bare Essentials mineral powder, (the one recommended for acne prone skin by dermatologists), was making me break out and giving me horrible coverage. I do notice that I'm still shiny at the end of the night, but I haven't found something that minimizes that well yet. Overall, I'm very happy. I use both the green primer and foundation, but I'm not sure if the primer is necessary. We'll see how things go. I'm crossing my fingers. So far, so good.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2009 2:36:00 AM More reviews by suzannaelektra

The color is great (I use 123 Desert) however, even with the MUFE primer...it slicks off my face. I set it and everything...but something about it seems oily (even though it's oil-free). My skin in combination-oily and I would not purchase again! The coverage is also light-medium NOT medium-full.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2009 6:25:00 PM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Makeup For Ever HD High Def Foundation shade 118: The price is up there so make sure you love the color match!

I got this at Sephora because I needed something that photographs well and is sunscreen free for a special occasion. I liked the feel, the blendability was smooth (used MAC 187 to buff around) and the color match was pretty good.

The packaging is nice also. Pump dispenser makes life a little easier and keeps things sanitary and the protective lid over top is extra reassurance that the foundation isn't going to empty itself while traveling.

The two things I noticed that I wasn't crazy about was 1) as the night progressed the makeup seemed to oxidize and appear darker than the initial application, of the four hours I was seen in this foundation I would say it started to slack off around hour 3. 2) The coverage was good but as the night progressed the makeup seemed to absorb. I used the MUFE primer with it and set with translucent powder so I am not sure why my skin absorbed the makeup.

I am not disappointed but I am not wholly convinced that there wasn't something better out there for my needs considering the amount of money spent.

PROS: Color range was decent - better than most lines. Packaging is sanitary, easy to use and travel friendly. Feels smooth, blends beautifully and doesn't feel thick.

CONS: Did photograph well but I was hoping the flash wouldn't bounce off of my makeup at all. Really expensive. Oxidized on my skin after hour three and seemed to absorb even with a MUFE primer underneath.

UPDATE: The more I use this the more I like it. I initially wrote this review in the middle of summer - now that it has cooled off a little this is working out much better for me. I am going to give this a 5 from a 3.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2009 4:32:00 PM More reviews by pbharuch

I know I gave this product pretty good ratings, which makes the fact that I wouldn't repurchase it weird. Well I fell in love with it the moment I tried it on. Rather, the second time. The first time I was matched to a foundation that looked great in the store, but when I got outside I was a little insecure about it, and had to try on a shade lighter to make sure I bought the right one. For reference I'm a 153 in MUFE HD and a Warm Natural in Bobbi Brown. I find that I always end up going a shade lighter than what a MA matches my skin to initially, and it ends up being better, so if you have complex skin, that might be a good option for you. From the start, the pump was very nice. It was easy to press down and get as much foundation as I needed. I rarely used liquid foundation before so I didn't realize how important a pump is but it was really nice. One problem with the pump/packaging was that I would lay the foundation horizontally/flat in my make up box and eventually a ring of foundation formed around the base of the pump and it got a little messy. The packaging was pretty, didn't seem cheap but not as expensive feeling as Chanel though, it was a little plastic like and definitely didn't show the level of foundation in the bottle, so it wasn't great or horrible. I loved the overall effect of the make up, it gave pretty good coverage but I did need a better moisturizer for my drier spots and a concealer for the bigger problem areas (I didn't like the MUFE one, it just didn't stay or cover very well and I prefer the Bobbi Brown touch up stick). My skin looked like I didn't have on makeup, and it was so smooth. The HD primer is a must, I just bought the neutral one, and I liked the powder but I felt like I looked moderately ghostly after wearing it. The foundation was also long lasting, it didn't wear off even though I have super oily skin and the weather outside was unbearably hot. That being said, it gave such a matte appearance. This was the first foundation I actually bought that was over $30, and it just didn't feel worth it. I needed to buy so much stuff to make sure I got the perfect look - a new moisturizer, the primer, concealer, concealer primer, foundation, powder, and a new cleanser to take everything off (thought that's not a major complaint it's probably a good indication of how long wearing it is). Overall I spent at least $200 for this, and it just wasn't worth it. I switched to Bobbi Brown and was much happier. Its a great foundation and seems like it does its job well, but given the matte-ness of it and its failure to meet my needs, it just doesn't reach HG status for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2009 7:05:00 PM More reviews by ogotham

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh god, looks flawless, I will admit.
But the area on my cheek the MUA at Sephora swatched the foundation on broke out within the HOUR.
I wanted to love it for all the rave reviews. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2009 2:20:00 PM More reviews by allyshrn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just bought this foundation, and i have to say ITS AMAZING! this is my HG! i apply this with a studio tools skunk brush from Target, and it turns out gorgeous! its so lightweight i don't even realize i am wearing any makeup at all with this! its very liquidy, i only use about 1 to 2 pumps to cover my face and some of my neck. it is just an amazing foundation, im so glad i bought this! i was hesitant to buy it because it was 40 bucks but wow! it covered my blemishes nicely, and made me appear to have a natural look, not caked on at all.
for reference: MAC NC25 in studio tech, MAC NC30 in studio fix plus foundation and number 120 in MUFE.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2009 7:16:00 PM More reviews by tsaraya29

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Oh how I long to love this foundation!! The MUFE HD 175 is PURRFECT on my skin. The finish and color are second to none. Beautiful coverage - even the dark spots. And one only needs to use the smallest amount - 1, 2 pumps at most. But, I'm 95% sure that this foundation causes breakouts for me, which is odd because so many reviewers did not break out and I don't think I have acne prone skin. I just need to use non pore clogging products.
Anywho, I didn't even get a chance to try it with the MAC 187 brush, which I want to do, but I used my Bobbi Brown foundation brush and that still gave me a superb look. My only other gripe is that while the 175 shade is dead on in summer (after I've been in the sun a while,) I haven't found a winter shade. The 177 is too flat and dull, 178 too dark , and everything else too light. I would certainly recommend for anyone to give this foundation a try, its a bit pricey, but if it works for you, its money well spent.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/5/2009 10:51:00 AM More reviews by lsp372

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really wanted to like this, but I just don't. The coverage is light to med and it just looks oily and greasy. It's funny since I have dry skin, and don't have this problem with any of the other like 25 foundations I own.

It also does not seem to be transfer resistant. If I hadn't paid the $40 price myself I would think this was some drug store foundation due to the quality. It also seems to make me break out like crazy. I don't usually have this problem with foundations so I am not too happy.

Also the color seems just not quite right. MUFE seems to have tons of foundation colors, but most of them are horrible. All seem to be either too yellow or too pink. How about some nice neutral colors MUFE? I also bought the "Your skin" foundation for Carmindy by Salley Hansen and it was all that I wanted the MUFE HD to be. I would highly reccomend it over the MUFE. It looks great in any light, covers well, wears well, blends well AND it costs like $12. (and it comes in neutral colors, but sorry not too many of the darker shades).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2009 3:25:00 AM More reviews by LipstickCouture

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

An excellent foundation for evening makeup with medium coverage which can be built to full. With a MAC 187 brush and stippling it provides an almost airbrush look. Excellent for photography and i love that it lasts all day on my skin. I agree that throughout the day, my T zone used to become oilier with my combination skin so perhaps it is best for those with drier skin? It certainly has been less oily since i started taking roaccutane. One lippie removed for the fact it is expensive. Despite this...i believe in the product enough to repurchase.

I have to edit my rating to now 5 out of 5!!. I heard so many negative reviews about this product and thought that maybe my initial review was too positively biased from all the hype surrounding this product. So I gave this another go with a more critical eye this time....and I actually love it more than i did the last time. I swatched it with all my other foundations, MUFE F&B, LM oil free, shiseido...it just came out the winner. It allowed enough of your own skin to come through whilst providing medium coverage. There was also a sheen to it which i love, unlike shiseido which when applied, gives your face much more of a 2D look. In essence i love it - full stop.