Smashbox Photo Finish Light

3.4

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Triethanolamine, Decyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oligopeptide-10

on 1/7/2011 10:25:00 AM

This is nothing like the clear original one. It does absolutely NOTHING. Smells like glue - you put it on your face and it is no different than if you hadn't used a primer at all.

on 1/5/2011 10:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

EDIT: After adding this product to my routine approximately three weeks ago, and being so satisfied by the results, I began developing the absolute worse breakout of my life over the weekend and into this week. I wake up with new red pimples in places I have never even had pimples before: near my eyes, on my neck......I was in tears last night over this. I am literally covered in pimples and they are primarily in the places I would use the primer. Being that it is the only new thing I have added to my routine in the last few months, the primer has to be the culprit. I am doubly sad: I loved the results but I am now quite literally covered in acne. I had three pimples prior to this weekend......now I can't even count. Please, please, please.....if you are acne-prone do not use this primer. Maybe it won't be the same result for you, but is it worth the risk?

Original post: I've only been using this product for a week or so, but I am completely fascinated by the results. I had given up on primers because either they broke me out and/or had no effect. I have used Rimmel, L'Oreal, and a few others over the years and they all felt heavy and oily on my skin.

Last week, my boyfriend was getting his hair cut at Ulta and I was browsing and I put a little of this on my hand and the difference between the hand with the primer applied and the hand without it was shocking. The hand with primer looked FLAWLESS! So I bought the sample size and I'm blown away by the results. It feels weightless, and improves the coverage of my foundation by 200%. I normally have to liberally apply concealer to blemishes, but I only have to apply concealer under my eyes and on one or two stubborn pimples now. And the staying power rocks. As long as I continue with no strange breakouts, this product will become a permanent staple of my routine, regardless of price. You don't have to use that much anyway, so I imagine it lasts a while in the regular size. I will be buying the regular size ASAP!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I only tried the sample size of this, so I cannot comment on it's long term use, and didn't have enough product to try it with all my different foundations I keep in rotation.

I wanted to try this because a lot of silicone based primers don't work well with my skin. This, I believe, is supposed to be better for oily and acne prone skin.

-Hard Candy primer made me oily and break out
-Lorac oil free primer didn't seem to do anything
-Rimmel fix & perfect didn't seem to do anything for me either.

As expected, it worked much better for me then did most other primers. It has light consistency, like a serum. It glides on and makes skin smooth. It didn't make a HUGE difference, but it was an improvement over nothing.

While I did like it, I think it is way to expensive. For the price, I want it to be amazing. It's $36/oz at Sephora, which is really expensive! I would only buy it if it was majorly on sale, or part of a kit or something.

I will keep using the Oaly Regenerist Serum for sensitive skin, which give similar results and has some great good for you skin ingredients, and it costs much less - $20 for 1.7 oz. Thats more then 1/2 the price!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This does create an incredibly smooth base for applying foundation. That's my favorite part about this. I just wished the oil control was a little better. After about 3-4 hours, I am blotting with films.

I bought the sample size one of this before committing to purchasing the full size, and I'm glad I did. I can't use the regular photo finish because it breaks me out, so I thought this would be similar, except made for those with oily skin (like me). It feels nothing like the original photo finish.. feels more like oil-free moisturizer. It does nothing for the staying power of my foundation, and I also don't really see a difference in controlling shine. At least it didn't break me out.

on 12/14/2010 4:02:00 PM

Well, this has a slight edge over Lancome T-Controle, which was what I used before, but I was much less impressed than I expected to be after hearing all the hype. I am extremly oily in the t-zone area, and hoped that this primer would smooth out some large pores and keep me matte for much longer than it does. It goes on looking very nice, but doesn't last long enough on me to rave over-sinks into the pores with time, and I still end up shiny . OK, but not a miracle product for me-I tried putting on my foundation with this under it, and without it, and honestly didn't see that much difference at the end of the day-my foundation stays put without it just as well as with it. I'd buy this again if I had no other choice, because so far it's the best I've found, but I think I shall have to keep looking to find my perfect primer!

on 12/10/2010 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I've been using the original Photo Finish Primer for years, but decided to give this a try when the full sized original was not available at beauty.com when I ran out. I really like the original, but LOVE this one. It feels a lot better going on, it's not as heavy as the original. It feels more like a moisturizer when applied, but still primes foundation as well as the original. But what I love best is that it controls oil much much better than the original. I have oily skin and used to have to blot at least every 2 hours. With this light version, the first time I had to blot was 4 hours after application. I'll buy this instead of the original from now on.

on 11/28/2010 7:37:00 PM

I purchased the Light primer after trying the Regular primer and really enjoying it.

there are a few differences between these primers. the Regular is clear and silicone-based, and the Light is white and water-based and oil-free.

the light primer is marketed as better for blemish prone or oily skin, or for people who want their makeup to feel as light as possible

personally I am all of the above, but I found the regular primer wonderful for my skin and makeup, and not heavy at all, plus I found the silicon formula better for hiding blemishes and pores.

The light primer is weightless, and pretty much undetectable on the skin, but still does a great job of filling pores and creating a good base for makeup.

the Light primer is probably better for people with very sensitive skin, but otherwise both of these primers work very well

on 11/12/2010 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Whenever I wear make-up, my skin gets oily and my face melts.
Since I have been using this, my make up really lasts longer and my pores are not clogged. It is water based so even better than oil free primers.

No smell, fine and smooth textures that absorbs quickly.

on 11/1/2010 9:30:00 PM

wow, I can't believe this doesn't have better reviews. I honestly don't know what I'd do without this product. Actually, I do...I'd use a ton of those messy oil blotting sheets and watch my makeup melt off my face in horror. This product saved me from running to the bathroom every ten seconds to blot oil from my face. Love it! Great primer...makes makeups application flawless.