April 20, 2014 | 1690 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Philosophy - The Present Clear Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2007 2:03:00 PM More reviews by SIPEDRO

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Leaves your skin looking smooth & even. Good for someone with large pores. Lasts a very long time & you only need a little bit for each use. Make sure you let it dry as long as you have time for or else whatever you put on top will blend with it & it looks really gross & you will be trying to rub it off forever. Also, make sure you rub it in good or you will have white spots that are pretty hard to rub in when it dries. I put it on after the shower & then I will brush my teeth & do a few more things before I start doing the rest of my make-up. I will buy this forever. If you really want to hide pores, apply Smashbox Photo Finish Primer on top. Woo-hoo, what a combo!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2007 9:29:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have gone through quite a few primers both water and silicone-based that either did nothing or caused my skin to break out. I am not a Philosophy girl; most of their products are just average to me. The clear present makeup primer is a little gem for me. It actually leaves my face matte all day without breaking out my skin. I use this with liquid foundation. I wait ten minutes after applying my moisturizer before I apply this. Then I apply a pea sized amount and wait 5- 10 minutes for it to set up before I apply foundation. I use liquid foundation ( EL Double Wear) with this. This really gives my face that finished look but more important to me is that it really controls oil in my T-zone. As I have large pores around my nose I still need to dab Clinique Instant pore perfector on top of the The Present to fill in the pores but that is no big deal. This is such a good value too; a 2oz tube sells for $25. Has a lavender herbal scent. Contains parabens. Update: I did end up having breakouts from this product after all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2007 8:17:00 PM More reviews by addysmom

This is great stuff. You have to wait 2 mins. after applyin a small pea size amt. I do find that it is hard to use with some liquid or cream foundation though. So depending on what time of year it is , and what foundation I use , this is the one for.It does help with oilies and shine though.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/4/2007 2:53:00 PM More reviews by diva23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I loved how my skin looked after I applied it, but sadly it broke me out. I've been having great success with Philosohpy's Poreless, Flawless. It is much lighter, but really smoothes out the skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2007 10:00:00 PM More reviews by catfight

this is a holy grail for me. i absolutely love it!!! i have combo skin so i use this on its own under foundation. i was warned by the MA at sephora to make sure i wait 2 minutes before applying foundation or else it will "ball up." however, that hasnt happen yet. i just use a really small amount, it goes on evenly and smoothly...and the price is amazing! i hate the other clear silicone primers that ive tried and i hate how the shiseido primer gives my face a really "powder" look. this is perfect.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2007 5:10:00 PM More reviews by lisalisa007

I tried this along with Smashbox's Photo Finish Primer and like both, but for different reasons. This can be used for a "primer" with liquid foundation, but it's not really meant for that. I find I need more foundation when I use this compared to PF. This is meant to be used AS the foundation and just a bit of powder to finish it off. Unfortunately, my skin isn't that perfect for that and I need a bit of coverage. I use Revlon's light foundation (in the squeeze tube) and find it's a little difficult to 'spread' after using this, but it can be done. Just make sure you wait the required 2 mins otherwise it will ball up and just be a complete mess. Another trick is to not keep rubbing it in until it is 'absorbed'...put it on covering your entire face and then just let it dry. The more you try to rub it in, the worse off you will be.

This is much better at controlling oil than PF, so I tend to use this more in the summer. PF is much better underneath when you need to use foundation, as far as being able to actually apply it...but you will need to blot, as it does nothing to help control oil. Because you need so little of the Present, it seems to last forever. I haven't needed to purchase another one, but when the need arises, I will.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2007 4:55:00 PM More reviews by rihannsu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The first time I used this, I stupidly piled it on, not bothering to read the reviewer who mentioned using a "pea sized" amount on her face.

Take her advice! All that slathering on gave me a greasy face, but when I used a smaller amount this really spread well on my face. I watch the clock to make sure I wait the 2 minutes before putting on my powder, and that does the trick. I started using primer in the hopes of cutting down the oil on my face. When I used this last weekend, I never even had to pull out my blotting papers. I like the creamy softness it gives my skin, especially given that it's Winter and the wind isn't too kind to my face.

ETA: Over time, I noticed the same amount of oil on my skin as before. I picked up a sample size of Smashbox's Photo Finish in Light by accident and PF is doing a MUCH better job of keeping down the oily look.

I'm going to finish this tube out but not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2007 10:02:00 AM More reviews by ale8one

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff! It makes my skin look good and lasts a long time. I only use a SMALL amount, about the size of pea, any more and it looks a little flakey. This really keeps my oily skin matte all day and keeps my makeup (i use bare minerals foundation) looking good all day. Love, love love!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2007 1:08:00 AM More reviews by rbella

Unlike most reviewers, I have not had good luck with this product. I use a very heavy and very creamy foundation (La Roche Posay) and find that this primer makes it really difficult to spread my foundation on evenly. It actually makes my makeup look like it is caked on.

It does do a good job of making my skin matte and primed but it just doesn't work well with my particular makeup. I believe that if you use a less thick foundation, this product would work better.

It is important to wait the full 2 minutes before applying your base. Otherwise it mixes in with the product and it becomes a big 'ole mess.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2007 4:36:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Does anyone else here use sunscreen on a daily basis? I, for one, couldn't figure out at which point to put on my Sofina sunscreen, so I just applied it after my Cerave lotion (as usual), waited 10 minutes (as usual), then applied a pea-sized dab of the Philosophy stuff. Then I waited the requisite 2 minutes (maybe even longer) before putting on any makeup.

Unlike others, I did not find that my foundation went on more easily with this stuff. I had an especially hard time with my Neutrogena Skin Clearing liquid, which went on very patchy, streaky and hard to blend (but then, it usually is this way). I had a slightly easier time with Revlon Colorstay Active, (but I usually do). In any case, foundation was sticking to my skin in a way that made it hard to blend evenly with my fingers. I ended up having to use a flocked sponge to smooth everything out, which was time-consuming and annoying Perhaps the texture of the sunscreen (which tends to be drying) messes with this primer? The texture of this primer was smooth and not as slippery and silicone-y as I was expecting, more like a creamy moisturizer. It left my skin looking...the same. I also found that my makeup wore off at about the same rate as when I don't use a primer. This didn't help "lock in" my moisturizer or provide much protection against the elements (my poor face is still flaky). On the plus side, it smells nice (sorta fresh and light) and comes in a squeeze tube. I wouldn't repurchase--it's merely an additional and unnecessary step in my routine.