MAC Liquidlast Liner - Point Black

4.1

Isododecane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethicone, Disteardimonium hectorite, Sorbitan tristearate, Ascorbyl palmitate, Caprylyl glycol, Hexylene glycol, Propylene carbonate, Hydrogenated palm kernel glycerides, Hydrogenated palm glycerides, Phytosteryl isostearate, BHT, Phenoxyethanol [ /- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Carmine (CI 75470), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140)]

on 9/9/2009 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I am addicted to liquid eyeliner, but have never found one that will stay put on my waterline. Almays liquid eyeliner is what I have used for the past like 10 years, and it's great, but this is better. It stays put both on my waterline as well as around the inner corners of my eyes. Just remember to remove the excess off the brush on the sides of the container before applying since this stuff is thick. But it gives a dense black line, and the brush makes it easy to get a thin precies line. Doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes either! Will repurchase!

on 9/8/2009 7:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

If you're looking for something absolutely budgeproof, smudgeproof, waterproof, this is the only liner to buy.
I have oily, folded eyelids and nothing has ever stayed on me beyond 1-4 hours without smearing, fading or flaking. I have tried almost all the ones that get consistently good ratings on MUA: Bobbi Brown gel pots (smudged), Mac Fluidlines (horrible mess), Kate liner (smeared), Shiseido Liquid Eyeliner (perfect brush but racoon eyes), Stila Smudge Pots (not too bad - but not foolproof. By the end of the day there would still be some smudging), Chanel Stylo Yeux (convenient, but smudges) , Majolica Majorca Neo Automatic Eyeliner (smudged), Hourglass Liquid Eyeliner (flaked a lil), Wet n Wild Liquid Eyeliner (mess), Blinc Liquid Eyeliner (did not smudge, but flaked, leaving bits of eye lid showing through where the liner has flaked - arrgh), loads of L'oreal/Maybelline ones (all didn't work), Lancome Artliner (faded and smudged), weird Japanese brands that claim to be waterproof but are most certainly not (what's up with that???). I have tried kohls from every brand imaginable.
The only MUA-highly-rated ones I didn't bother trying are the ones I tested on my hand at the stores and got smeared/smudged when I rubbed it - Revlon Colorstay, Prestige Waterproof, Laura Mercier cake eyeliner. The only thing that ever came close to HG was a little-known Kose Liquid eyeliner (only 2 reviews on MUA) that has since been discontinued. But even that would smudge slightly after 8 hours.
Before I used all these eyeliners, I would be very careful not to use greasy eyecreams on my eye area. I would only use eye gels, but still, to no avail. :(
Back to Liquidlast - this stuff does not budge, even after 12-24 hours. Its round-the-clock steadfastness holds up under all sorts of weather - if it can withstand 35 degree celcius and high humidity in my country, AND greasy eye cream, I'm pretty sure it will work anywhere in the world. You can take it swimming, to the clubs, be on a long flight, knowing it will not budge/fade/flake/smear/crumble. When I put this on, I KNOW this eyeliner will not let me down.
The brush is crap - it's thin, long, flimsy, and gets on my curly eyelashes. So, I use a Mac slanted eyebrow brush or the Stila double-ended eyeliner brush (depends on what sort of look I wanna achieve), dab it on the liquidlast brush, remove excess on tissue, and apply. Any mistakes that have dried after 30 seconds, I dip a cotton bud in a teeny bit of Lancome Bi-Facil eye remover and correct it, and continue. After all that, I swipe my brush on tissue soaked with the Mac brush cleaner pink liquid ( a bottle lasts FOREVER), and let it air-dry. The brush will be ready the next day for a new application.
The consistency is sort of thick and gloppy, and gets worse after a couple months - chuck it and buy a new one. Sometimes when it gets extra gloppy on my eyelids and I know it will take forever to dry, I dab a cotton bud on the lined bit of my eye to remove excess liner. Usually, the colour intensity is very strong, and doing this will not fade the liner.
To remove, only an oily or bi-phase cleaner would work. I find Lancome's Bi-Facil the best so far.
It's a hassle, but once you master the technique, and just live with the brushes and cleaning, I feel it's really worth it - esp when nothing else has worked for you. If you're the sort who doesn't have much of a problem with smudging, even with non-waterproof eyeliners, then I am envious. And maybe this is not for you. For newbies not familiar with liquid eyeliner and brushes, you need loads of practice!
Point Black is my staple, Inky and Dress Khaki are awesome. Electro Lady, for some reason or other, seems extra gloppy.
I have taken one point off for the silly brush and gloppiness, but the staying power more than makes up for all the extra trouble.
All these years, I have strayed, trying to find the perfect liquid eyeliner with an amazing pen-brush that is as waterproof as Liquidlast. (MAC, if you're reading this, please do something about the brush). But let me say, after 4 years of wasting money on all sorts of liners, I've seriously had it. I am resigned to the fact that only Liquidlast truly lasts! I hope Mac never discontinues this, because if they do, I don't think I would bother with eyeliner anymore. I seriously hate constantly having to check the mirror worrying if I am looking like a panda bear, or having to swipe over the undereye to remove smudges that ironically wouldn't budge. I want to wear my makeup with full confidence, and not having to worry about it every other hour, or after sweaty nights at the club/crying episodes at the cinema/watery eyes from eczema and so on, so forth.
So yeah, defi HG status.
**update** have been loading up on the eye creams on the upper eyelid and realise it does slide if that area is super super oily. however, if i only apply eye cream below the eye, the liner won't budge on the upper lid. so go easy on the eye creams, ladies!

on 8/27/2009 7:33:00 PM

I love eyeliner on my waterline and have spent tons of money on all types of eyeliner. I have tried eyeshadow, pencil, liquid liner, gel, cream, marker and I can honestly say that this eyeliner is the best when it comes to staying power. It stays on all day, no matter what. You can cry your eyes out and it stays. You can accidentally rub your eyes and it stays. Best of all, no racoon eyes. No matter how many eye products say that they are smudgeproof, only a limited few are smudgeproof. Lots of people says that liquidlast is goopy which is true but all you have to do is treat the brush like you would a nail polish brush and remove excess product and then apply and you get a rich deep color on your waterline that will not budge. I find that Point Black makes my dark brown eyes look a nice deep brown. Also about the many complaints about this product being hard to remove,,,,not so. All you have to do in order to remove this product from the waterline is to take a cotton swab and dip it in baby oil and swipe the swab on your inner lids a couple of time and viola....it disappears. You do not have to rub or scrub your skin like some reviewers have written. All in all, I think MAC products are the best out there and liquidlast is the best eyeliner product in the market. I will continue to keep my eyes open for new product but why fix something that is not broken.

on 8/17/2009 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

WOW! Ok, so this STAYS PUT! Once it dries, that is, but until then, be careful, otherwise it can become a goopy mess, like the first time I wore it. The formula is quite thick, and can be messy. I found that I had to wipe the brush on the inside of the container, like you do with nail polish, and then go back and take little bits at a time (I love a thick, black line). It really has a thick consistency. I received mine in a swap, so maybe I got a fluke, but its not bad to work with even if not. It takes getting used to (well after the first couple times you'll get it down if not sooner). I got it all over my face, hands, sink, and was almost late to class the first time using this lol!! Such a dork... Otherwise, dang this is a great, permanent, very black line. :) I really appreciate how dark it is especially! I like my blacks black black. I probably would buy this again, but I prefer my fluidline. It's not as dark but loads easier. I might layer the two in the future to get a really precise, dark liquid line. I gave it 4 lippies for that goopy consistency and for the fact that it can be a bit stubborn to remove (I always pre-cleanse my makeup off using an oil cleanser, but I still need to use a gentle cloth with my regular cleanser to remove the last bits of this). Otherwise, this is another win from MAC. I totally love every MAC eyeliner ever. They are always my favorites (and I have tried *tons*).

on 8/14/2009 8:04:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have been repurchasing this liner for 3-4 years, and see no reason to stop! It's a great product - it's really black and it stays on no matter what I do. Truly waterproof - and wonderful!!! One tube lasts me app. two months, but it's well worth the money! LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!

on 7/31/2009 12:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I like this liner a lot. I have since ran out but I have't purchased it again. Not sure why. I think I am going to or try the GOSH one. I like to try different things, even though it works perfectly. It doesn't budge, oil takes it off just fine though. I don't use oil to take off my makeup anymore, I use tearless baby body wash, it does take this liner off!

The only thing I don't like about it is the brush. It is too long, but it can be cut to size easily so I don't mind it so much. I will probably pick it up again the next time I visit MAC.

on 7/30/2009 10:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

This is my HG liner!! I have worn this every week day for at least the last 4 years. I've strayed a couple of times to try other things, and tend to go for something different on weekends, but this is a staple for me and if I ever find out its being d/cd I'll buy a lifetime supply!

I've actually gone through 3 days of my normal skincare routine and showers without this stuff washing off~ I use J&J baby oil to take it off now. I think it's good value for money- 1 tube lasts me approx 8 months of daily use, and I don't end up with racoon eyes or flakes.

Love it, will never give it up!

on 7/22/2009 1:39:00 AM

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE THIS LINER.

honestly, it's really hard for me to find a decent black liner that doesn't travel down my lid or smudge or fade from the waterline, especially since i wear contacts and have allergies, so my eyes water a lot and my lids are oily, to boot.

but this one? IT DOES NOT COME OFF. (you're gonna need some good mu remover for this)

now, that said, the MA told me that it's not recommended for the waterline, but i can do what i want with it at my own risk. and of course, because i love the black waterline, i took that risk.

the brush applicator = useless, but i use MAC's 210 and 212 brush to make my eyeliner look perfect. and then it stays perfect for the rest of the day! whoo!!!

i honestly tried sooooooooo many liners and wasted so much money on liners...i wonder why i never tried this sooner.

i hope it never gets discontinued.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

It's been said that this was NOT a beginners eyeliner, but I beg to differ. When liquid eyeliner first was released years ago (even before MAC was around), I wouldn't touch it, and when I finally did try it, I couldn't do the line well. I would apply it crooked, then I'd give up and end up removing the whole lot.

This one was easily to apply and is long lasting. It really does make you eyes pop!

The only downfall is it has a tendency to crease/separate later in the day....

on 7/2/2009 7:18:00 PM

As opposed to what many reviewers said before about it not being a good beginner liquid eyeliner, this is the first liquid one I got. I tried penultimate and this at the counter and decided that I like this better because it has a better color payoff even though it seems harder to apply and longer to dry. I tried this on my eyelids the way it came and it applied very thickly and is hard to fix when mistakes are made because it seems to take forever to dry on the line it self but the mistakes dried instantly.

When I got home later, I used my 231 brush (that I use with my fluidline) and waterlined my upper eyelid by dabbing the brush tip onto the product on the wand. Then, it applied perfectly, wasn't too thick and dried fast enough, and mistakes were fixable too! Of course, it it slightly harder to apply than fluidlines, but not much harder. Needless to say, it dries faster and is thus less forgiving, it also feels ever so slightly less smooth in application.

Also, it isn't hard to remove. When I was reading the reviews, someone said that they used Neutrogena and it worked well so I went to buy that as well. In the end, I didn't need it because my Shu cleansing oil removed it better than the Neutrogena did.

It also has *great* lasting power. I can wash my face with facial soap and nothing will come off. For me, it stays perfect for at least 4-6hours. Mind you, I use Clinique All About Eyes Rich AND have oily lids (i have no idea why the clinique SA rec'ed that one for me, but I'll finish it) AND live in a hot and humid climate. So, depending on the day, how much eye cream I happen to use, and how my skin is feeling, it can last much longer if necessary. After a long time (more that the hours above) it may smudge and migrate a little to the outer corners of your eyes, but it is nothing serious because a nice little wipe with your fingers will do and it does not create any sort of raccoon eyes. BEWARE though, if you apply it in very thick layers, it can, over time, flake a little here and there. Again, nothing too serious compared to others I've tired, like fluidline and such.
I'm an NC25 Asian for reference.
EDIT: (4/24/2010)
So it's been almost a year and I'm on my second liner. I use it every day on my upper waterline and I've used my last tube until the tip of the brush can't pick up enough liner for applying to one eye. That was back in Feburary, so this liner has lasted me about 8 months. PLEASE NOTE that I use a tissue to wipe off my liner brush before putting it back into the tube to get rid of little drier gunks on the brush, this has helped it remain less goopy but use up more product. Still, it has gotten a little more goopy over time, nothing I can't handle, though.

BUT, that's not why I updated. I updated because I got into the liquid liner look (the normal kind, on top of lashline) and since this is the only liquid I own, I tried it. Now as others have stated this liner is harder to use than others because of its crappy brush (I still used it for this purpose though). I tried others in stores on my hand and then tried this on my hand, liquidlast is definitely harder to use. But even a liquidliner-on-lashline beginner like me was able to almost completely master the application after about 5 tries. Now I can create super thin lines on my lashline with a sexy flick in the end. It is the AWESOMEST matte super pigmented black line that I now fully appreciate since it started sitting on above my lashes.
Love it, wish the brush was better. no more.