April 16, 2014 | 1488 users online

Deodorants - Certain Dri

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2010 6:05:00 PM More reviews by regrebs

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Edit 9/9/10: Certain Dri was wonderful for a few weeks, but then it stopped working. I stop using it for a while, then try again, but it hasn't worked for several months. Will not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/7/2010 9:41:00 PM More reviews by kanka999

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Didn't really do anything for me. It maybe helped "slightly" the first week or so but after that I didn't notice any difference. I was in a board meeting all day today and my sweater was completely wet....I was so embarrassed. I obviously must have a bad perspiration issue and really wished this would have worked for me. :(

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2010 10:40:00 PM More reviews by selkie67

This stuff really does stop sweating. It has no smell, so it won't clash with any fragrances you're wearing. That's the good part. The bad part is the itching and the rash, and I'm not sure how you get around that. You're not supposed to apply this after showering or shaving, and only at night...but what if you shower at night? What if you shave every other day? It's hard to find a good time to apply it.

**Edit** Okay, if you follow the instructions to the exact letter, it cuts way down on the itching, and the rash disappears. But like I said, it's still hard to work into a routine.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2009 9:44:00 PM More reviews by megathon

I really loved this when I used it. While I don't have a sweating problem, per say, I think that I do sweat slightly more than is normal. This definitely stopped my sweating--I didn't sweat even in 90 degree weather. This product really is fantastic for stopping sweat.
Unfortunately, although I used it sparingly and according to the directions, it made my armpits itch like crazy, all of the time (my skin never got used to it, and I used it for about six months). As a result, I switched to Secret Clinical (which doesn't work quite as well, but doesn't make me itch). For that reason, I wouldn't buy it again. Still, I would recommend it to anyone. I think that it's a great product.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2009 1:21:00 AM More reviews by SiLeNtLvEdREAMER

This product is great! Until it stops working.... This is exactly what this product did to me!! When I first bought it, I instantly fell in love with it, but after a week it somehow stopped working for me! I was so mad because I thought I found the perfect anti-perspirant but then it stopped working for me after a week! Well NOT repurchase

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2009 10:00:00 PM More reviews by bubbles2232

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This product has changed my life (yes, that sounds a bit overdramatic.) But it's true! I've suffered from heavy underarm stains which are both disgusting and very embarassing. I had to wear dark colored shirts to mask these stains and everytime I went shopping, I would look at the clothes I could never wear. This is not the case anymore because certain dri has completely stopped my underarm sweating and eliminated the stains. I feel so confident now and not embarassed at all because I have no more stains! It is an amazing product that (believe me) has changed my life.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2009 2:51:00 AM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

What it claims:
"Fights excessive perspiration."

Claims - True of False?
1) Fights sweating: True.

Packaging:
In all honesty, I hate the packaging. Not for the way it works, but for how it looks. I always dread having to repurchase it, because its look is so... I'd much prefer it if they made it very bare and simple (which would appeal to both genders), because I always feel embarrassed when I go to buy this. I don't feel that way when I pick up other brands' "prescription strength" offerings. As for performance, it works just fine and I've no complaints on that end. The roller ball glides easily, the twist cap ensures it stays sealed, and it's nice and compact. The lid also has a flat top, making it easy to sit upside down as you start to run out. The biggest issue would be if you don't shave your underarms (or not all the time), hair could get pinched in between the roller and the plastic.

Consistency and Smell:
The consistency of this antiperspirant is completely liquid. There is no colour, no obvious residue from it, and it dries down very quickly. If too much is used it could potentially leave a bit of a residue to the touch, but nothing noticeable. The smell is only noticeable when you first buy it - I've repurchased a few times, and never noticed the scent when I'd repurchase. If I do a while without using it, I might notice the scent a bit, but it's not strong. Definitely more of a clinical scent to it.

Results:
For me, this stuff works. My sweating was enough to cause many of my shirts to be ruined, in that the sweating was eating away at the material and making it stiff. I can go at most 1-2 weeks without using this stuff before the sweating comes back in a more noticeable fashion, but since using this from 2008 and onward, I've noticed that even with prolonged absences from its use, I sweat less than before using it. I can sometimes just use it 2-3 times a month. If I don't epilate/remove hair from my underarms I will sweat more, so this is definitely going to need to be used more often if you are a male and don't shave your armpits. I experienced a bit of a rash when I first used it, but other than that I had no adverse reactions once my skin adjusted to the ingredients. You need to be cautious to not use it too often or to use too much, and even if it does sting and burn, cause redness and dryness, give it at least a few weeks, as it will take time to get used to it.

Bang for your Buck:
One bottle of Certain Dri in the roll-on bottle costs under $10.00CAD for 35.5ml. On average, one bottle lasts at least a year or longer. Since using in 2008, I've now purchased it three times that I can recall (now December 2011). The biggest disadvantage is that it does have an expiry date, and you might find that you've passed the date before the bottle is used up.

Final Consensus:
If this product reacts well with your skin/body chemistry, then this will be a life saver. I went from being unable to move my arms around to feeling comfortable tank tops without worrying about showing my underarms. It won't help with any smell you might get, so a separate deodorant/antiperspirant for the morning is needed (I use a separate brand), but I now no longer worry about my underarms and sweating (in that area at least). The results were worth the few weeks or months I spent with mild to moderate discomfort, and it's completely worth the embarrassment I feel for the few brief minutes it takes to repurchase. If this doesn't work for you, there are other brands to check out, so just remember to keep your hopes up and not give up.
- Pros: Affordable, works, lasts a long time, easy to apply, doesn't leave residue or stain skin
- Cons: Can leave skin sensitive and irritated when first using, embarrassing to purchase, can be difficult to find depending on location, easy to over-apply.

Overall Rating: 5/5
Price: 1/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again? Yes.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2009 9:10:00 AM More reviews by Bellatata143

I have had issues with excessive perspiration for years now and I was about to give up hope. I purchased this product after having no luck with every other brands on the market. This product has completely stopped my sweating! Follow the directions on the package which says to use it at night before bed, but try not to use too much as it will make you itchy. I completely love this product and will definitely repurchase it again. The only downside is the packaging. I noticed that too much product spews out of the container and drips onto my hands when I tip it to apply. However, this is a great product!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2009 4:45:00 PM More reviews by oneam

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

This was rec'd on the wedding board to a bride for her wedding day, and as I was engaged at the time, and I didn't want to worry about sweat or antiperspirant marks on the day-of, I got some.

I'm not super sweaty, but in the summer when I leave work to run an errand and get very hot, it takes awhile to cool off and for the sweating to stop, and in the meantime it was yucky and uncomfortable. I had antiperspirant in my desk for such occasions, but it didn't help at that point.

The Certain Dri works for me. I use it only about 3 x per week, and I'm only on my 2nd bottle in 2 years, it lasts that long.

At first it did itch because it's hard for me not to apply after a shower, as the directions indicate to apply in the evening, and I shower at night, but it seems that I have developed a tolerance because it doesn't really bother me anymore.

I can go out during the hottest time of day and not sweat. As a result, I like to think that I don't get the yellowing in the pits of my white shirts anymore, and though I have not done any clinical studies :P, I have not noticed any discoloration on my newer white shirts.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/4/2009 8:54:00 PM More reviews by Tylie01

I suffer from excessive sweating. I get so mad because I can't wear any clothes that I want to, I can only wear some blacks and whites, I also sweat right through sweatshirts so I can't even wear nice colors in those! I go to a dermatolagist for my face and asked him about what I could do to stop my sweating. He recommend this and dry sol. So I tried them both with high hopes. But neither of them worked for me I was still sweating and not to mention both of them would hurt so so much when I put them on. Like I am not just saying it was just a bit of stinging, it felt like millions of little needles were being stabbed into me. And it also itches like crazy and it burned my skin. Even if this stuff worked for me I don't think I would be able to put up with the pain. I have tried everything out there and I am just giving up and I am getting Botox in my armpits because it is the only thing I have not tried. And it is supposed to work very well. And my dermatologist recommended it and he said it is very safe. Also the insurance that my parents have me on covers at least 80 percent of the cost. So if you are like me and suffer from sweating ask your doctor about Botox. I think I am getting it this fall so I can't say if it works or not. Maybe this stuff just does not work for me, everybody is different so please try this and everything else before you try more drastic measures like I am.