August 22, 2014 | 1266 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2013 12:10:00 PM More reviews by iceboi

Amazing!! This sponge is amazing. When using a brush it takes me 15-20 minutes to blend it in and patting my skin to take out those streak marks with this sponge application is less than 5 minutes. Leaves me streak free. Even application and provides medium coverage. Remember that this is a sponge and will absorb any makeup when used. My technique is to apply the foundation or concealer right on my face then use a pouncing and tap motion on the face do no sweep or rub the sponge in as the makeup will be absorbed to the sponge rather than the face. The sponge works great in itself but I definetly found dupes from Ebay and it works the same way for a much much cheaper cost I paid $3 for 2 sponges one time it all depends on the bidding system. But if I need my hands on it quickly Sephora is just around the corner and this applies foundations concealers like a charm. This is definitely a staple in my routine. Love the idea but will not be re-purchasing because of the cost $20 for a sponge is quite expensive that's the same price to a foundation or concealer in my opinion.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/20/2013 4:01:00 AM More reviews by neurosciguy

I don't understand what's wrong with you people. This thing sucks. I've tried it with both liquid and creams and hated the finish with all of them. Because it's a sponge it soaked up a ton of product and I had to use WAYYYYY more product than with a brush, and it just looks weird when you dampen it like everyone says. Don't waste your money.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2013 3:45:00 AM More reviews by Mimi7210

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I mean, this almost has 400 reviews so I think that already says something! I LOVE this product, it's most certainly a HG for me. I really do. I'm super acne prone and was scared this would break me out (that's why I've shied away from sponges for so long) but with proper cleaning this hasn't broken me out yet. I'm now a firm believer that the tools really affect how a product looks. So when I used to apply foundation using my hands, it used to get streaky, uneven, and weird looking, even though I really love the coverage. But since I got the Beauty Blender for my birthday, my make up looks amazing! I just dot my face with foundation (I do not recommend putting it directly on the sponge, it will soak it in too quickly, dotting the face is best), wet the sponge with hot water to kill bacteria, ring it out, and tap my whole face with the round bottom until completely covered. It actually feels quite nice on the skin too haha. I use the pointy end to get near my eyes and help conceal pimples. It blends beautifully and the look is flawless; I really spend less time doing my make up and less product as well. I'm never applying with my fingers again!

As for my cleaning trick, here's what I do: right after I apply my foundation, I take my make up removing face wash, pump a little on each ends, and let it soak in and sit there for a few hours. Then, I rinse it all out with hot water to kill the germs and get all the make up off. I'm telling you girls, letting the cleanser SOAK in is the trick! My blender is barely stained. I wash after each and every make up application and rinse it with hot water before using because of my acne. Someone mentioned cleaning with alcohol as well, I might give that a go for extra cleanliness. People complain about the price, but seriously think about it: you use this almost every day for about 6 months...that's pennies a day. I think it's totally worth it and I'll buy this as long as they keep making it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2013 1:08:00 PM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

I wrote a review for the beauty blender a while back but over time I feel like my opinion on this product has changed a bit so I thought I would review it. I love my beauty blender so much, I feel like it is the best makeup applicator in the world. It gives me a flawless finish, it is fast to use, easy to clean, gets in to hard- to- reach places...but where my problem comes in in the price. While I think the beauty blender is a great tool, one of them costs $26 and lasts around 3 months (so the company says). A makeup brush by say, Sigma is $18 and will last you indefinitely if you take good care of it. I've had my beauty blender for 8 months now and it is still functional despite a few tiny holes but I feel like at the most this would last me 12 months and that might even bepushing it. I did buy some cheap cosmetic sponges to try and compare how they worked (the bag was 8 for $2) and I found that despite that the application process was a little less 'bouncy' the end result was identical. The beauty blender company knows how to market with an attractive hot pink product in an adorable tear drop shape and that is what sucks people in to buying it but the price of a single, replaceable cosmetic sponge is outrageous. The price doesn't change that fact that I think it's an incredible product but there is no way that I can justify the price when a cheapy cosmetic sponge which cost 25 cents each gives me the same look. I will use mine until it is absolutely ruined but I will not repurchase.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2013 12:42:00 AM More reviews by MissBay

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have got two of these and they are my new best friend as far as makeup applying goes! I got mine for $5 at my local TJ Maxx. I feel like when I get done using mine I have an airbrushed finish! Just wash them about every 4-7 days so there's no germs causing breakouts on your face! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2013 4:05:00 PM More reviews by kamberc94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

The only reason I would not repurchase this is I feel like I use too much product to get the coverage I want. It soaks some of it up and gets stained with the product so easily. For about $20 at sephora I was not sold. Decided not to return it and to keep trying to integrate it into my routine. It only works with a few foundations I own, not the whipped and not the thinner ones like TruMatch. But my Pur Minerals and my WnW coverall work fine with it, but sheer. Make you squeeze ALL the water out though.

I thought with the hype it might be worth it.But did not wow me like I thought it woud... Sorry guys...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2013 1:09:00 PM More reviews by lavenderwen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I got the beauty blender after reading tons of good reviews about it. I didn't see the need to at first because I was perfectly content with my Sigma F80 flat kabuki brush for base makeup application but the impulsive buyer in me got the BB on a whim. My mom thinks i'm crazy to spend 20 bucks on a sponge though.

Love the way this pink egg shaped sponge applies my makeup and makes it look super natural. I usually apply my bb cream in dots over my face then bounce the beauty blender all over. I find that this gives me a better coverage.

I didn't buy the cleanser. I bought this 'detergent for puff and sponge' for 2 bucks in my local Daiso and it cleans it perfectly.

How does this compare with the F80? I feel that girls with relatively good skin will like the beauty blender's application better. For people with a few red pimples/acne marks on my skin which refuses(argh!) to go away, I find that the F80 gives me better coverage than the BB does. I usually use the BB on days where i don't see the need for full scale coverage and the F80 for days where I do.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2013 3:58:00 AM More reviews by ToSirWithLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Firstly, you should know that while I would not say I'm a cheapskate, I DO hate to be ripped off, and I do resent cosmetics companies that overcharge for items that have no business being expensive. Having said that, you might assume I'm going to say that the beautyblender is overpriced, a ripoff, a scam, etc. Not this time!

I resisted buying this forEVER, sure that is was not worth the price. I finally bought one when Alcone had a daily deal, selling them for around $12 each (Alconeco.com. They post daily deals on Twitter & FB). I almost hoped it wouldn't impress me, so I could just say, "Okay, I tried it, and it's not for me." But no, I really love it. I use it for liquid fndt, cream fndt, cream and liquid blush, and... yes... powders and powder foundations. No, it's not cakey. (Why would anyone say you "can't" use the bb for powders, just because it didn't work for them? You absolutely can. What about dual powder foundations that are meant to be applied with a damp sponge? It wouldn't work for that? Of course it would!)

The reason I don't think this is overpriced is because I've yet to find a perfect dupe, nor have I heard about any true, worthwhile dupes. They may be out there, but I've not heard about them. The bb has a special texture and surface feel, that no one seems to be able to copy. I did read that the sponges at lecosmetique.com are close, but I haven't tried them yet. Those come in fun colors and run $6 or so.

These are also available at Nigel Beauty at a discounted price if you're an industry pro. If you know someone who is, it might be worthwhile to get a group together to order their 6 packs, which are $60-something. It would be a little over $10 per sponge, plus shipping.

I also have reviews for the beautyblender liquid and solid cleansers with dupe suggestions, if you're into that kind of thing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2013 12:48:00 AM More reviews by XpugsX

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's sad that after all these years I learned that I was applying my makeup badly. I purchased the Beauty Blender after reading the reviews and watching tutorials. The whole concept was interesting to me and to be honest, I was highly skeptical. In Australia, the sponge costs $34.95 which is not cheap, so if it did not work, I was not going to be happy. It is also very hard to get hold of anywhere other than online. Anyway, I purchased it via an online retailer and it turned up neatly packaged in a big clear plastic outer container. The sponge itself (dry) is the size of a small egg. My current foundation is Revlon Photoready BB cream and this is what I applied using the Beauty Blender. I ran the sponge under running water until it easily tripled in size and then squeezed it out in a small towel until it was just damp. I put a small amount of my foundation on the back of my hand and dabbed that fat end of the sponge into my foundation. Then I did a combination of stippling (bouncing) and blending until my makeup just looked absolutely flawless. I applied my concealer using the pointed end of the sponge using the same method. Now I was fairly amazed at this point, so I was curious to see how it would work with other foundations. Over the next few weeks, I experimented a bit and this is the conclusion I came to. This sponge is meant to be used with liquid foundations. If you use it for this purpose, you will get the best finish you have ever seen! I tried it with mousse foundations and also powder foundations such as mineral powder foundations and it doesn't work. I know some people say it does, but believe me, it doesn't, You will end up a cakey mess! I will definitely be repurchasing. I am in love with this sponge. I wish it had been around years ago!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2013 2:25:00 PM More reviews by Ancatje

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This sponge is very expensive, but it is worth it, IF you use medium to heavier coverage foundations. In those cases, it applies the foundation beautifully and more invisible than any brush, and it never looks cakey. I usually build 2-3 layers on and it still looks very natural. I have tested this with my boyfriend many a time and he agrees that he can barely see anything on my face - for those of you who care about such things :)
However, in the case of sheer foundations/ thin bb creams/ tinted moisturisers, this sponge is a bit of a waste. In those cases you will end up with almost no coverage, the sponge will absorb most of the product, and you are better of using your fingers or a brush.
Also, I own 2 pink, 2 black and 1 white beauty blender, and I have to say not all beauty blenders are created equal. The pink and black perform the same and are the best in my opinion, whereas the white one is inferior. The white sponge does not get as big as the other colours when damp, it is simply smaller (about 10% smaller I'd say) and therefore not as "squishy". It still works fine but it does mean that it is not as bouncy on your skin so makes the experience of applying foundation not as nice, and it takes a bit more time to get the same result as with the other colours. Also the white sponge stains a lot worse than the other two.
IN CONCLUSION, if you use medium to heavy coverage foundations, get yourself one of the pink or black sponges, but steer clear of the white one. If you like sheerer coverage, the beauty blender is not a must by any means.