Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

3.5

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

Skin: Other, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I am an acne sufferer and i thought it was about time i give back and write a review. so for all you ladies out there that have oily acne prone skin NO THIS DID NOT BREAK ME OUT.

I was interested in this product because i wanted to help reduce the appearance of the hyper-pigmentation marks left over from a mass break out of CYSTIC acne due to being put on yaz. I once heard from a derm that putting on a good sunblock would help shield the my marks from the sun and thus lessen their appearance.

Other reviewers say the noticed a purple sheen. well my answer to that would be to make sure you rub it in well. it is a sun screen thats what it does. protect you from the sun and since its mechanism is mechanical rather than chemical you have to expect this.

really the sheen isn't that much of a problem.

yay for clear complexions!!!!!and i wish you the best with your experience with this product

Mine is actually 30+ but i couldn't find it in the reviews, only some active lab 30+

I really love this product, it is a lovely colour, i am really pale so it doesn't actually match to my skin colour but i tend to just rub it in heaps well which makes my skin look healthy and than i add a lighter foundation on top of it that suites my skin colour better and also gives more coverage.

It does make my face feel wet/greasy in a sense, but seriously most sunscreens will do this even if they are meant to be non oily, it is just how sunscreen is unless you get one that drys the skin out like some 'milk' sunscreens i have tried, i would much rather one that adds moist than one that feels dry, plus just add a bit of powder and the greasiness isn't as bad, i personally like a bit of shine rather than a matte look seeings as i do have dry skin.

I like that i can put this on top of my make up throughout the day, seeings it does have the wet feel it doesn't make my powder go flaky and look layered on, instead it just wets the powder and makes it all blend like i am re doing my make up and i am left with a fresh look all day while being protected
It is also a great size for my handbag, i take it everywhere with me. I don't know how i went without this item for so long

This is a nice tinted foundation sunblock. Alot of the reviews here say its a great foundation primer. I use a dab in the palm of my hand, then I mix in a little mineral foundation base. It becomes this great coverage that is so natural and simply fades into your skin. One day I just got this idea to mix in the mineral powder. This product alone does seem a little greasy even though its oil free and a little heavy but once I mix in the minerals it become more matte with great coverage. Then I simple let it sink in and go brush my teeth or whatever. Most has been absorbed. Then I just wisk on some Physicians Formula Multi Color Bronzer - I have the light and medium and I switch them around. You will love your skin. I use Yonka face creams and I have stopped using them during the day. I don't need them with this product which acts as a moisturizer for me. I'm sure you could mix in some liquid matte foundation with this too. I love the high SPF.

on 5/20/2009 5:20:00 PM

First I tried, and hated, the Redness Solutions SPF 15 base. So I swapped it in for this one. Figured why not go for the extra protection.
I was not impressed. It didn't apply well, flaked like crazy (especially at hairline and eyebrows), and made me look dry and cakey. Didn't feel very good either. Felt irritating but I think that was really more the process required for application (it is dreadfully sticky and impossible to spread & rub in) than the sunscreen.
Didn't use it long enough to comment on its value as a sunscreen. Returned. (God bless Clinique and their fabulous return policy! That's what keeps me coming back.)
Exchanged for the City Block Sheer SPF 25. I like it ok but it has its issues. Wrote a lengthy review on that one if you're interested.

on 5/14/2009 12:15:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

i was in need of a good sunscreen for the summer and i was debating between the shiseido sunscreen and the clinique one. the clinique one was a bit cheaper and i like clinique skincare products so so i thought i would give this one a try... so here we go!

when i first put some of the product on my hand, i was quite alarmed at the beige-ish color that came out of the tube and the consistency was somewhat thick (but not like toothpaste... it's more like a heavy moisturizer). when i put it on my face, it felt thick and oily but i think it's because the spf is pretty high.

i was expecting to break out because of the formula (especially since my skin is oily to begin with) but it's been good on my skin so far and i am very pleased with the product. i wish the consistency wasn't ask thick and i'd prefer just a white sunscreen but other than that, i've been very pleased and i am glad i got this!

on 5/5/2009 9:42:00 AM

Some of the reviews on this product describe a product that I don't have. My sunscreen tube was not at all of a toothpaste consistency, nor was it hard to apply or tacky on my face. I wonder if they got a bad batch? The sunscreen is tinted and very light, fluid consistency. When applied it adds no colour to the face, but does give my face a bit of a dewy look. Very easy to apply and does not irritate my face as of yet. I will review it again if anything happens. I have incredibly dry, sensitive skin, so I can't say if it's too moisturizing, because I need it!

on 4/25/2009 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

I started out with the SPF 25, decided to get more protection because I'm getting older. It goes on smoothly and I haven't noticed a smell. I'm a dark skinned AA it works well for me. Not greasy at all once I put it on.

on 4/21/2009 4:43:00 AM

I use sunblock everyday under makeup to avoid a worsening of my post-pregnancy sun spots.

It smells medicinal (but not bad) and comes out of the tube quite dark (didn't say it was tinted on the tube!). It doesn't seem to give any coverage however so the colour didn't cause a problem. Might be an issue if you have ultra fair skin.

Started using it during the Hong Kong summer and just had to put it away until winter. Much too heavy and greasy - amazingly so given the "oil free" blurb on the tube.

All in all it reminded me a bit like theatre foundation. Left my skin very tacky and I needed to blot before makeup.

I recently took it out again during the winter when my skin is drier and forced myself to finish it but I still didn't enjoy the texture.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I like this product very much! :)

It's not as greasy and goes well with other foundations. I don't like the smell though... but overall, it's a good product.

I use this as a tinted moisturizer and find it to be extremely moisturizing. I have to disagree with the girl below me who said it is almost like dried toothpaste... Mine is not like that at all, actually it's really runny. I use it everywhere. Since I honestly don't have much to cover up, I skip the foundation/powder and use this instead. I probably won't buy this again because I'm always on a quest for new products. I am fair skinned with yellow undertones so it blends fairly well.