Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

3.5

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

on 5/20/2009 5:20:00 PM

First I tried, and hated, the Redness Solutions SPF 15 base. So I swapped it in for this one. Figured why not go for the extra protection.
I was not impressed. It didn't apply well, flaked like crazy (especially at hairline and eyebrows), and made me look dry and cakey. Didn't feel very good either. Felt irritating but I think that was really more the process required for application (it is dreadfully sticky and impossible to spread & rub in) than the sunscreen.
Didn't use it long enough to comment on its value as a sunscreen. Returned. (God bless Clinique and their fabulous return policy! That's what keeps me coming back.)
Exchanged for the City Block Sheer SPF 25. I like it ok but it has its issues. Wrote a lengthy review on that one if you're interested.

on 5/14/2009 12:15:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

i was in need of a good sunscreen for the summer and i was debating between the shiseido sunscreen and the clinique one. the clinique one was a bit cheaper and i like clinique skincare products so so i thought i would give this one a try... so here we go!

when i first put some of the product on my hand, i was quite alarmed at the beige-ish color that came out of the tube and the consistency was somewhat thick (but not like toothpaste... it's more like a heavy moisturizer). when i put it on my face, it felt thick and oily but i think it's because the spf is pretty high.

i was expecting to break out because of the formula (especially since my skin is oily to begin with) but it's been good on my skin so far and i am very pleased with the product. i wish the consistency wasn't ask thick and i'd prefer just a white sunscreen but other than that, i've been very pleased and i am glad i got this!

on 5/5/2009 9:42:00 AM

Some of the reviews on this product describe a product that I don't have. My sunscreen tube was not at all of a toothpaste consistency, nor was it hard to apply or tacky on my face. I wonder if they got a bad batch? The sunscreen is tinted and very light, fluid consistency. When applied it adds no colour to the face, but does give my face a bit of a dewy look. Very easy to apply and does not irritate my face as of yet. I will review it again if anything happens. I have incredibly dry, sensitive skin, so I can't say if it's too moisturizing, because I need it!

on 4/25/2009 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

I started out with the SPF 25, decided to get more protection because I'm getting older. It goes on smoothly and I haven't noticed a smell. I'm a dark skinned AA it works well for me. Not greasy at all once I put it on.

on 4/21/2009 4:43:00 AM

I use sunblock everyday under makeup to avoid a worsening of my post-pregnancy sun spots.

It smells medicinal (but not bad) and comes out of the tube quite dark (didn't say it was tinted on the tube!). It doesn't seem to give any coverage however so the colour didn't cause a problem. Might be an issue if you have ultra fair skin.

Started using it during the Hong Kong summer and just had to put it away until winter. Much too heavy and greasy - amazingly so given the "oil free" blurb on the tube.

All in all it reminded me a bit like theatre foundation. Left my skin very tacky and I needed to blot before makeup.

I recently took it out again during the winter when my skin is drier and forced myself to finish it but I still didn't enjoy the texture.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I like this product very much! :)

It's not as greasy and goes well with other foundations. I don't like the smell though... but overall, it's a good product.

I use this as a tinted moisturizer and find it to be extremely moisturizing. I have to disagree with the girl below me who said it is almost like dried toothpaste... Mine is not like that at all, actually it's really runny. I use it everywhere. Since I honestly don't have much to cover up, I skip the foundation/powder and use this instead. I probably won't buy this again because I'm always on a quest for new products. I am fair skinned with yellow undertones so it blends fairly well.

on 4/18/2009 12:42:00 PM

I received a trial sample tube from a friend so I can't comment on the price, but I think a full tube retails around $20 on Sephora's website. When I first dispensed the product from the tube it came out this horrible shade of dark yellow-brown. Being PPP I was super alarmed!! I used a pea sized amount to cover my face followed by an additional pea sized amount to apply to my neck and upper chest. This stuff smells awful almost like emesis!! It was super thick, like dried up toothpaste consistency, and very difficult to blend. It wasn't moisturizing at all and I had to apply more eyecream then usual. My complexion was left with a slightly darkened hue/tone too. It was really really really difficult to apply my foundation, I tried my makeup brushes, fingers, and sponge, but I found the best application for my foundation was a slightly moistened sponge. After successfully applying my foundation & dusting powder I found within 2 hours that my foundation became cakey, creasy, and darkened!! It was really heart breaking as I was wearing my typical foundation that I have never had problems with. I really wanted to like this product as Clinique was a good reputation and the SPF 40 rating is very desirable. I would not recommend this, very disappointed.

on 4/15/2009 2:10:00 PM

I was wondering whether to get the SPF40 or SPF25, and decided on the SPF40 for more protection though the SA said the SPF25 has a lighter texture. Now I regret it because this is just a bit too thick. It's a bit hard to spread out and makes my face feel really sticky.

I do think it's a good SPF product with great fuss-free packaging, so I'll be trying the SPF25 next.

on 4/14/2009 8:37:00 PM

If you are looking to use this as a make up primer, keep looking.

I read other reviews where some people claimed this worked "phenomenal as a make up primer.Ē After trying it myself, that is the furthest thing from the truth. This product is like rubbing glue on your face. Itís horrible as a foundation primer. Itís so heavy and greasy and never dries completely. It does nothing to keep your make up from rubbing off. It also makes it hard to spread your foundation on your face when you are applying it.