April 18, 2014 | 1805 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 1 of 5 on 8/7/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by coffeeandcream

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

People seem to love or hate this cleanser. Put me in the "hate" group.

I tried this years ago because my derm at the time recommended it for my oily, combo, acne prone, sensitive skin. Derms just seem to love Cetaphil more than anything, it seems.

My skin dries out very easily from sulphates in cleansers, but because this was non-foaming, I thought it would be gentle on my skin. Nope. This stings my skin. Not terribly bad, but gives my skin a slight burning sensation to let me know that my skin does not like this.

I also do not feel like this gets my face clean. I did try the Cetaphil cleanser for oily skin but hated the overpowering chemical smell and it stripped my skin.

If your derm recommends this (which they probably will, I swear I think derms own stock in this stuff) try and get a sample from them first. The only good thing I can think about of this cleanser is that it is fragrance free.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/6/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by holychiller

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

My skin freaked out when I used this cleanser. It was SO SO raw and red after a few weeks or so of use. It is strange to me that this is billed as a gentle cleanser when it has some very harsh ingredients (sulphates, parabens).

The Cetaphil moisturizer also made my skin very irritated.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2013 7:09:00 PM More reviews by melinichole

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin and this is my HG face cleanser. Anything else is either too harsh or makes me break out. This removes my makeup very well. It doesn't leave my skin extremely dry, nor does it leave it greasy either. It leaves my skin feeling refreshed. I use it in the morning when I wake up and at night before bed. I love that it comes with a pump and not a squeeze bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2013 7:33:00 AM More reviews by nesssy

very gentle and brillant to use before acne treatments/bp cream. with the assistance of a cotton round it also removes makeup with ease !

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2013 11:22:00 PM More reviews by Noor86

I have been using Purity by philosophy for sometime now; I ran out and sister advices after seeing such "great" reviews on Cetaphil to give it ago. Note, before this my skin was flawless, bright and soft. After few days into using Cetaphil I noticed small like blackhead whitehead lumps appearing around on my cheeks chin lips and jaw line.. I thought they would clear out but over time they started to develop into big painful red spots , they didn't even turn into whiteheads that would dry out and disappear. I developed little strange bumps on my forehead as well. I have stopped using this product and will be switching back to Purity. I find that cetaphile is a waste of money, more expensive than my normal desired cleanser and isn't worth the hassle. I can't believe how this has affected my skin!! Even makeup looks bad on the bumpy surface; I never experienced this before. I wouldn't buy this again! Keep away!! Glad to be getting back to purity, at least it does what it says!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by Katch98

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This cleanser isn't a miraculous cure for acne, but it is very good for people of all skin types. It washes my face, gets the dirt off whilst moisturising my face without stripping any moisture out of my skin when I wash it off. I use it I the morning and night, and sometimes during the day when I'm going out and I need to create a clean blank canvas before applying my makeup. It's a product I can use whatever the state my skin is in and has a definite beneficial effect on my skin. If your willing to pay the price, £10 in boots but I found it was cheaper in my local pharmacy, it is a great product to try if you have problematic skin like I do (dry, oily, acne-prone.)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 2:01:00 PM More reviews by nicolalucie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My skin flared up extremely bad after using too many products trying to solve my breakouts. I decided it was best to go back to a basic skincare routine using basic products. I found this cleanser (gentle skin version) at Costco for $20 for a 1L bottle. After using the entire bottle, I can say I love this. It doesn't do anything miraculous or special but it's simple and effective. It cleans my skin without over-drying or irritating it and I've found that it has evened out my skintone and helped clear me up. I love pairing this with my clarisonic as well. Will probably repurchase this cleanser over and over again.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/29/2013 12:11:00 PM More reviews by CollegeKid

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I was 12-14, my dermatologist recommended me to use this along wit their huge jar of moisturizer didn't do much for my skin. It felt like it didn't cleanse me as other washes. I still felt like my skin was dirty but maybe it was good for me. But after I finished the wash I never bought it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/29/2013 10:31:00 AM More reviews by itsholly20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

i heard so many great reviews about this so i figured i had to give it a shot. i have dry skin that is acne prone. my skin was perfectly clear using my neutrogena clear pore cleanser/mask, but it was extremely dry. i switched to cetaphil to restore some moisture. i couldn't believe this stuff got such great reviews. it broke me out so bad. i had worse acne than i ever had in high school. if you are acne prone, you will have to use some treatments afterwards other than just washing your face, but for me ill just stick to my one step miracle product (neutrogena clear pore) and coconut oil for intense moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2013 9:56:00 AM More reviews by GriffithsGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I can't see why anyone would dislike this stuff. Prior to buying this I used pricey cleansers by Emma Hardie, Ren etc costing up to 4x as much, and yet I like this best by far. After removing my eye makeup, I do a cleanse with this, removing with water, and then a second cleanse if I'm removing my makeup. It takes all my foundation, blush etc off no problem with two washes. In the morning I just do one cleanse with this. It's a gel, non lathering, and it doesn't smell, doesn't irritate, doesn't dry or add oil,nothing. It just does what it says it will. And aftrr all, isn't that what we all want from a cleanser? Since I've been using this alongside the acne.org treatment, my skin is calmer and clearer than ever before, and this is after a 20 YEAR BATTLE WITH ACNE. So trust me when I say this stuff is a good purchase. If you wish to read more about how I clearer up my skin then see my acne.org treatment review.