Alima Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

Not tested on animals

INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) Mica (CI 77019). May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

I've been using this foundation for just over a week. Got a few samples and I think I'm best matched with N2. I'm definitely going to purchase the full size. I'll update this review when Ive used it for awhile longer. This pro & con list is mostly just for me I guess...
Pros: *Huge colour selection. It's almost too big! ha ha. But I have been able to find a great colour match which doesn't happen that often. *Doesn't clog pores. So far at least. It's only been 7 days or more but my skin has improved if anything. No more clogged pores on my forehead, and my chin area is starting to look great again! It could be just a coincidence but thats why I'll update again soon. * Fairly good coverage. It's not full, I guess its med or sheer if you apply sparingly. You can mix it with your moisturiser to make it liquid which gives great coverage. *doesn't sweat off easily but still easy to remover at night. *wears well throughout the day or night.* reasonable price IMO. *great customer service and quick ship. and cheap fair sized samples!
Cons:I'm from Aust so I guess having to get it mailed all the way out here. *the fact that it's online only, you cant test the coulours in store but i guess even if here was a store it would still be in US so wouldn't work for me anyway ha.
I would give it a 5 cos I'm absolutely loving it but I won't give it HG status until I'm 100% sure.

on 10/19/2009 9:21:00 PM

It has taken me a long time to make a decision on Alima, but I've finally decided that it's the best foundation I've tried. At first I didn't like it...thought it sank into my very fine lines, but I think I was applying it wrong because I don't get any of that now. I ordered samples in early July, and decided my best color was a combination (33%C2, 33%C3, and 33%N2). It perfectly matches my skin! I paid $22 for the mix instead of the regular $20, but I didn't mind paying extra considering I'm usually in too much of a hurry to mix my own. The look is natural, and I can cover imperfections easily (my skin is NOWHERE near perfect, I'm pimple prone).I just use the foundation as my concealer...works fine. Makes me look flawless even in fluorescent light w00t!

Customer service is great too...fast, friendly, and free samples that match your skin tone!! Huzzah!

on 10/17/2009 4:02:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I received a sample of this in Neutral 3, which was too light and too neutral for my NC30ish skin.

PROS: Buildable coverage. Inexpensive. Does not contain Bismuth! Decently priced (Full Size: $20 (.24 oz/7.5 g)
Sample Size: $1.50 (petite jar, limit: 2 per color)). Decent lasting power.

CONS: No brick and mortar store to test out colors. Too many color choices to choose from (60 colors!), which is great and not so great.

Overall, I would definitely consider trying out other shades!

on 10/13/2009 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I never wore foundation before I tried Alima. I bought a few MAC liquid foundations and tinted moisturizers, but I found I was always allergic to something in them and had to stop using them after a few days. Plus the finish never seemed right -- I don't know why liquid foundations always accentuate the dry skin on my face! Alima's Satin Matte foundation, however, goes on really nicely and provides some coverage and evens out my skin tone without looking or feeling heavy. I wear it almost every day now.
I invested in an atomizer (they sell them on the website for under $3) and I find a little spritz of water really improves the finish (otherwise can be a little dry.)
I do find that I need to wear a little powder in my t-zone (MAC blotting powder) underneath this foundation, otherwise my combination skin will look greasy in a couple of hours instead of matte. And concealer is a must for me. I don't usually wear the finishing powder over top of this, but I do like the finishing powder on its own (over some blotting powder) when my skin is behaving itself.
Great range of colours -- overwhelming in fact! But they're pretty good at getting back to you with recommendations as to what might be a good match for you. I'm a MAC NC42 and for me that translates into Alima W5.
One thing about this foundation -- you need an oil-based remover to get it off. When I first tried it I didn't know that and ended up breaking out because it was clogging my pores.

on 10/4/2009 6:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I had a love hate relationship with this product until I figured out how to use it. At fist I hated it I will agree that it made my look chaky and it gets worse as you try to get more coverage. So I ended up going back to my previous powder then on a whim decide to this a new way. This is what I do:

I put a small amount of lotion on my hand add two drops of water ( to me this feel better because it doesnt feel too heavy) . Then I mix it w/ my fingers. Next I add tea tree oil to help w/ my acne only one drop but sometimes two comes out. I also mix this w/ my finguers. Lastly I add a pea size maybe two(depends on how much coverage I want that day) of the Alima foundation and I mix it very well together.

And Vuala you have your own tinted moisturizer. When applying this I tend to rub outward towards my hair line. This technique believe it or not gives me great coverage and looks So Natural. I will def buy the full size in W4.

IMO this is alot better and more natural ( with ing.) that BE which caused me to break out. I dont think this product has caused my to break out any more than usual. As for any less idk I was on bc for a 3 yrs and it messed with my homones super bad I had cystic acne and looked like a pizza face. Now that Ive been off of it for a while I only have like 3 small zits so Im happy either way. I forgot to mention that Alima has great cs if you need help selecting a shade get in contact w/ their mu artist tell what shade you currently use and they'll match you up.
updated- I havent really been using this because I sometimes look too oily. or chalky

on 9/27/2009 10:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

overall, this sucked. it didn't cover anything plus the warm colors are so blah looking. no depth at all. its like putting dirt on your face, and all it did was make my face looked shiny and oily. EM is better . W4/W3 is not good for my nc40 skin. i think the gold would look better, but either way not a good foundation. the shipping cost is ridiculous.

on 9/13/2009 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Skin ref: as NC35-40ish I wear Beige 4. I have dehydrated yet very oily skin, extra large pores. Minor SD causes a great deal of redness. My problem areas are the pores on my nose and the humidity of the climate. My notepad has more info.

Coverage: sheer (1 layer with a dome top kabuki) to full (if applied wet with a flat top kabuki). If you have problems with a powdery finish, a little spritz of fix+ or your choice of...spritzer will turn the finish into creamy goodness.

The foundation: Alima makes my skin look soft, smooth, and matte yet satin. It does a great job covering my redness and it does NOT emphasize the pores on my nose. There is minimal oxidization even after a full day of wear.

I don't experience any tightness, itchiness, any discomfort, or any breakouts with Alima!

The texture is a finely milled powder, not too creamy, not too powdery (flies around less than EDM and BE). Application is a total breeze.

The company: The customer service and shipping is outstanding and timely. There are other perks such as free samples, jar return, points, etc. They take pride in being natural, cruelty-free, and so on. The packaging is adorable too :P

Some other MMU e-tailers I've tried: Everyday Minerals, LaurEss, Barefaced Minerals, Lumiere, Meow Cosmetics, adorned with grace, and so on.

This is my HG MMU and I wear it when I'm not wearing MUFE F&B.

continue for before/after pics please!

continued >>

on 9/2/2009 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

My everyday foundation. It's great, it blends well, lasts a long time, looks really natural, doesn't dry my skin. I will definitely repurchase.

Plus (and I don't know if this happened to other people, but I am curious) when I tried BE MMU, it made me look really OLD! I mean, I am really old, but I don't want to look it. Somehow, BE settled into my lines and crevices, and made me look about 60 on a bad day. Alima does not do that, it just makes my skin look good. Healthy.

I am sticking with Alima.

on 8/26/2009 2:14:00 AM

My current foundation, I like it because of its versatility. I usually use just a pinch for my whole face, for an evened skin tone look. If I have spots I want to cover, this will work just fine as a concealer. It does tend to rub off a little after long wear, but I also have oily skin so that doesn't help. One other con about this product is that it can be a bit toooo chalky-looking if you buffer too much. Other than that, it does not irritate my skin and I love the range of colors they have!

on 6/24/2009 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Thanks to all the great reviews on MUA I tried this mineral foundation. Finally, I've found a MMU that I really like and doesn't look masky or fake on me! Cool 3 is a perfect match for summer and Cool 2 will be my winter shade. The coverage is great and it's matte with just enough satin to look natural. The color selection is extensive so finding my match was easy by trying a few samples. My skin is oily and this MMU does a pretty good job of oil control (no makeup can really make oily skin "normal" so I'm happy if it doesn't make me more oily!). Very happy with Alima after trying half a dozen other lines.