April 17, 2014 | 1790 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2009 2:14:00 AM More reviews by justglimpses

My current foundation, I like it because of its versatility. I usually use just a pinch for my whole face, for an evened skin tone look. If I have spots I want to cover, this will work just fine as a concealer. It does tend to rub off a little after long wear, but I also have oily skin so that doesn't help. One other con about this product is that it can be a bit toooo chalky-looking if you buffer too much. Other than that, it does not irritate my skin and I love the range of colors they have!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2009 3:53:00 PM More reviews by knightranch

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Thanks to all the great reviews on MUA I tried this mineral foundation. Finally, I've found a MMU that I really like and doesn't look masky or fake on me! Cool 3 is a perfect match for summer and Cool 2 will be my winter shade. The coverage is great and it's matte with just enough satin to look natural. The color selection is extensive so finding my match was easy by trying a few samples. My skin is oily and this MMU does a pretty good job of oil control (no makeup can really make oily skin "normal" so I'm happy if it doesn't make me more oily!). Very happy with Alima after trying half a dozen other lines.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2009 9:33:00 AM More reviews by luvnudao

I first used Everyday Mineral and then switched to Alima and I love it! It does give better coverage than EM and the colour wears better throughout the day too. I'm impressed with their shipping and their great customer service.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2009 6:52:00 AM More reviews by jujubeat

This is one of my favorite foundations because it is one of the few out there that matches my skin tone perfectly. I am Asian with a yellow undertone and most foundations are usually too orangey or too pink for me. I use a custom blend of W3.5 (50% W3 and 50% W4) with my MAC 182 brush. (For reference, I am in between MAC NC35 and NC40)

For me, the coverage is light to medium depending on how many layers I apply. It provides a matte finish without making me look chalky. The powder is very fine and has a velvety texture. I have combination skin with an oily T-zone but I've never had a problem with the foundation sliding off or sinking into pores.

The only downside to this foundation is that during the summer months, it doesn't control the shine on my T-zone as much as I would like it to. I've tried their primer and their finishing powder but neither seem to do much. I usually have to use a blotting paper periodically during the day. For me, it's worth it because the color match is excellent. I also have the foundation in G3 and G4 so that I can mix it with other foundations that I have which are too orangey/pink.

If you are looking to try Alima, be advised that their Warm shades are more yellow than other well known cosmetic brands. Their Golden range is very yellow. Also, on my computer screen, the colors on their website are lighter than the actual product. I would highly recommend purchasing samples or contacting their makeup artist. Their customer service is excellent.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2009 1:34:00 AM More reviews by capellanadea

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I mix W4 with a little bit of W3 for my NC35-NC40 skin (for reference).

PROS:
I love how this foundation is sheer, doesn't feel heavy at all, it evens out my skin tone and any minor discoloration but still shows my freckles. It covers my pores well and looks completely natural. I have good skin with minor pimples occasionally and major dark circles so I still need a concealer, which is fine. I don't know if the coverage is buildable for those who wants more coverage.

I have a habit of putting my hands on my face and with Alima I can't hardly feel there's anything on my face. With liquid fndt, even with my close-to HG MUFE F&B (whose color is not working for me right now) I could feel that it's there on my face.

I finally found my perfect match after trying out samples and I don't have to put the foundation on my neck to get a very natural finish. No lines whatsoever. W4+W3 matches my neck perfectly so I don't look like I have a subtle mask on.

It wears well after long hours, don't gather oil in on my nose and I don't wear primer, I'm trying to keep light on complexion. I have combo skin with very oily T-zone, this foundation stays natural even after long hours. I noticed it became dewy before I take it off which is really nice because I love dewy finish, that's the reason I loved MUFE F&B but now it's not working for me in this hot weather. So that's a plus point for alima.

CONS:
Can't think of any right now. I will keep a look out for any break outs from this product and will update if I get them.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2009 7:16:00 PM More reviews by LBVero

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Excellent mmu, I use the primer powder, the matte foundation and then the concealer. The finish is beautiful and the colors perfect. I mix W2 with golden. I love this foundation. I havent tried the blush, I use terracotta bronzer with a light hand and it looks natural and lovely.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/16/2009 7:59:00 PM More reviews by jeannab88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Cute packaging and site but it doesn't mean the product is good. I hated how it had this weird "shine" or "gleam" all over my face. It turned greasy fast even with primers and veils.
The colors are very direct. If you want a warm, be ready to get a yellow. I did not like this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2009 10:00:00 PM More reviews by shelju

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using BE Warm Tan for years. I'm not in love with it but it is the only makeup that feels lightweight and does not break me out. Based on the great reviews here on MUA I went to the Alima site and ordered a gazillion samples in the 6-9 GOLDEN, NEUTRAL and WARM ranges to find my perfect shade. Kudos to them for offering inexpensive and generous samples, enough for you to discover whether or not its for you. Anyway, the Goldens are waaay yellow and the Neutals were chalky; it looks like Warm 9 is my shade. (if you're darker you may want to go with the Olives) The product applies smoothly and perfectly with my Stila #8 brush. It feels smooth and creamy and the semi-matte finish is FAB, much more natual that BM. The coverage is really nice.. . . my acne scars were nicely diffused. My only CON (so far) is that although this is really lightweight, the creamy texture unfortunately makes it "feel" a little heavy on my SUPER OILY skin. I felt like I'm wearing a liquid makeup, which makes me feel like my face is suffocating and my pores are being clogged. I got a couple zits the following day but I was also hormornal . . . so it really was not a good time to try something new. Anyway, I plan to finish the two samples (which should last a few weeks) and update.

UPDATE: While Alima makes a wonderful MMU foundation and I was really hoping that it would work for me, the breakouts continued even after my hormones had quit. I guess it is TOO finely milled for my acne prone skin. Very disappointing because from a color, consistency and application perspective it puts BM to shame BUT at least BM and Px do NOT break me out and that's critical. I still give it 3 lippies as I still would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone looking to try MMU or wanting to switch from liquid to MMU.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2009 5:13:00 AM More reviews by mickey5252

I've been trying several mineral makeup, and I believe that Alima has the best customer services.
I've e-mail them a Jane Iredale color that I was using, and they have promptly given me 3 or 4 recommendations, I've ordered all those in sample size, and got the perfect color on the first try.
My only complain is a break out after 2 days trial, I've waited for it to clear and try again, but it has started to break out again.
I guess that's a personal problem, but i don't think i'll be buying it again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2009 6:34:00 PM More reviews by moonchopin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought a bunch of samples in the warm, olive and golden family - not a single match in the bunch. The powder left a clumpy dirty dry finish over my face. The colors were all darker than they should be. I think they leave out midrange colors ifthat makes sense. Huge difference compared to EDM where the first three colors I ordered: light olive, light golden, and golden medium were all close to my natural skin color and could be used alone or mixed depending on how much I used and left my skin looking great...still havent figured out good application in general though....disappointed by alima - plus their samples are way more expensive then EDM and the samples are less generous. Tood bad. I wanted to like them but not a good color or finish match.