April 17, 2014 | 2008 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2013 4:24:00 PM More reviews by FeralFairy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was using organic virgin Coconut oil on my face every night but I noticed that it started to break me out in a way I have not broken out before. My skin was an utter mess....however as soon as I stopped using Coconut oil on my face it started to heal. I have fairly acne prone skin and had heard that Coconut oil would help with it .. but no for me it made it 100 times worse.

I still love Coconut oil for moisturizing my body, my hair, for putting in smoothies or tea and I also like to put some around my eyes at night. Just not for my face anymore I use extra virgin olive oil for that instead :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2013 5:53:00 AM More reviews by xxtine1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got some of this a few days ago and I'm in love. Move over Lush's Ultrabland, this is much easier to use as an oil cleanser as it washes off far more easily leaving skin lovely and smooth. I have tried it in my hair as a leave in treatment but I don't think I put enough in to notice a significant difference. As a body moisturiser it is just fab on extra dry and eczema prone skin, and so cheap!! Try it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by vuvie

I am on the lookout for natural body moisturiser as I am currently having crazy eczema flare up. After reading numerous (and I mean numerous!) sites and reviews on the benefits of raw coconut oil as moisturiser, I had to try this.

However since I live in the tropics, I kept thinking I got the wrong product as it doesn't crystalise at room temperature. Turns out, the weather is way too hot here. To crystalise, just pour it into a jar and pop it in the freezer.

Yesterday night was the first time I'd used it as body moisturiser. Oh so nice, moisturising and breathable (unlike vaseline which is prescribed by the dermatologist no less!). I believe it also has anti-bacterial properties as my skin is not as red anymore (will confirm this through more real research and not heresay).

I applied it straight out of the freezer so it is solid and therefore unlikely to overdo. As it is solid and cold, just feels so good when it touches the skin and melts. Takes a while for the oil to sink but waiting is not a problem as it is natural and good.

Woke up this morning feeling still moisturised (normally my skin will feel tight especially around the soft belly area). Some of my eczema wounds/cuts are showing signs of healing and not as open.

I have severe drying eczema and this works for me now. However, I do not believe it is good as it does clog pores and could cause problems for normal skin.

For now I only recommend this for eczema/dry winter skin on body and limbs. Never face.

NOTE: I believe it is comedogenic and should not be used on face. Confirmed, it is comedogenic cause my chin starts to have tiny bumps. As long as I am using this as a moisturiser, I will use anti-acne wash on my chin to remove the bumps. This method works so far.

EDIT: Been using this for a while now. While I still maintain that this is good for body & limbs (never face), I've found that coconut oil stains my sheets and pyjamas. So once my eczema is not as dry anymore, I will switch to something else. Point is, this is good while having problem and dry skin but as long as skin is in good condition, regular moisturising is better as it is unlikely to stain the sheets and duvet.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 11:19:00 PM More reviews by leshii

I buy my coconut oil from swanson vitamins. Just a tip for those who have no time for a coconut oil mask: I use a pea size on damp hair ends then let it air dry. It gives the same softness, you also save tons more product and time. My hair length reaches down to my lower back so be careful about the amount you use.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2013 4:59:00 PM More reviews by judy46970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love coconut oil. I use it daily, very effective moisturizer! Absorbs quickly and very well. I use it most for eye make up removal, this is about the only thing that have used that actually removes all traces of my liquid eyeliner and mascara! It is also good to use after shaving-good for razor burn!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by zany05

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the best product I probably have. I use it on my skin and my hair.

I have combination/oily skin but because I am using Benzoyl Peroxide emulsion to eliminate my acne, my skin tends to get a little bit dry. But my cold-pressed organic coconut oil is the best moisturizer. Since I've started using it, my skin has gotten smooth and even. I think it has helped with my acne as well.I just put it all over my face at night and go to sleep and wake in the morning with wonderful skin.

I mentioned that I use it for my hair, it leaves my hair shinier and healthier. I mix it with sweet almond oil and few drops of tea tree oil in a plastic bag and put it in hot water for 5 minutes and use the mixture as a hot oil treatment once a week.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2013 6:25:00 AM More reviews by liviiflutelouu

Coconut oil is such a great product to have in your kitchen AND bathroom! I use a small amount to take my eye-makeup off at night, and every Sunday I mix Coconut and Olive oil together and deep condition my hair overnight.

As a moisturizer it really penetrates the skin - but you have to be patient because it takes FOREVER to sink in. Also, I eat a TBSP of Coconut oil a day! It has a lot of anti-bacterial properties and is loaded with good essential fatty acids!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2013 10:01:00 AM More reviews by icarle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

MUA fabulous finds never cease to amaze me! I came across cocnonut oil here on this website, and I'm a sucker for natural, fuss-free cosmetics (such as EVOO, or honey) I bought a big jar of unrefined, unbleached, 100% organic product and started using it on my face as an overnight mask : OMG!! Not only did my face cleared up (I have hormonal-post-pregnancy breakouts) but it was so smooth it was the same as my 6-month-old =)
I use it on my face to remove makeup, as a mask, as an overnight moisturizer, on my hair as a pre-conditionner before showering, on dry skin (elbows, knees, etc) and it is truly a miracle product.
But do buy the organic version, and make sure it's unrefined and unbleached.
THANK YOU MUA!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2013 5:12:00 PM More reviews by Aiko8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

My WHOLE family digs coconut oil:
Me:shaving*mascara remover*hand moisturizer*foot rub*smooth hair w/the tiniest amount*
Daughter(9y/o):weekly deep conditioner(added bonus:it's a preventative lice treatment which makes me feel like her head's protected:)
Husband: shaving cream(yes for face!)*foot moisturizer
Dog(1-1/2 y/o):gets a tablespoon mixed w/pumpkin&food(keeps his coat so shiny)*use to brush coat&moisturize skin in our cold winter*massage pads of paws in the cold winter

I cook Thai and Indian dishes, especially, w/coconut oil*Use it in our AM smoothies*Cuticle repairer and more!

Doesn't it seem like this oil doesn't leave horrible stains like others do too? I am coo-coo for coconuts!!!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by pgloe16

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried taking coconut oil as both a supplement and topically and I wish I could love this as much as everyone else. Actually, I think it actually caused me to break out.

TOPICALLY
I tried it as a hair mask and wasn't super impressed. I just don't have the time or patience to use it as a mask on a regular basis. When I tried using it as a leave-in treatment on damp hair, it left my hair too greasy (I have wavy, dry hair, but it's also very thin).

I used it to take off waterproof eye makeup, but saw no improvement compared to vaseline/albolene/baby oil.

I tried using it as an extra moisturizing step for my face at night. The oil did not absorb at all during the night and I woke up feeling like my skin was tighter and drier.

It also didn't really help with any eczema patches or dry elbows.

AS A SUPPLEMENT
I LOVED eating it by the spoonful so I had no problem with the taste or the texture. I would have about a tsp a day.

However, after a couple of weeks, I broke out pretty badly in cystic acne around my eyebrows. For the past few years, I rarely break out and when I do, it's because I've eaten too much dairy. So it was strange that I was breaking out around my eyebrows. Also, topical products rarely cause breakouts for me, though I might get hives or rashes, so I was pretty sure that the acne was caused by something new in my diet. It could be the coconut oil or the Puffins cereal I had also started eating around the same time. All I know is that once I stopped eating both of those things, the acne healed and months later, I haven't broken out like that again.