July 31, 2014 | 2046 users online

Pressed Powders - Clinique - Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 12/31/2007 1:29:00 PM More reviews by gimmieshoes

I really like this product although I've only been using it for 3 days.

I had been using Bobby Brown powder, but I think my shade match was off.

Stay Matte powder gives good coverage alone or with foundation ( I am using the Clinique Clarifying Foundation).

It can look chalky if you use too much, so I only do a light sweeping w/ a large powder brush. It does control my oiliness and sets my makeup well. It's been 5 hours and I haven't had to blot yet!! :)

The color is good for me in the winter, but I will have to get a little bit darker shade for summer.

I think this may be my HG powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2007 5:40:00 PM More reviews by queenietcb

I really like this powder. my shade is stay spice and it matches my skin tone perfectly and never looks ashy, chalky or cakey. HG for me!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/26/2007 11:45:00 PM More reviews by Jackiehunter212

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This was horrible on my skin!!!!
My skin type: I have acne-prone teenage skin, and on top of having raging hormones that cause breakouts I also have sensitive skin, so I have to be very careful about what I put on my skin. Makeup is really hard to shop for.

Makeup: Finding makeup is really hard! I can only use hypo-allergenic, fragrance free, non-comedogenic products. Almay has been my HG brand, but I heard Clinique was good so I gave this powder a try.

Pros: It did make my skin look pretty over my foundation, had a good amount of coverage on its own (just enough to lighten some scars), and also controlled oil for a good amount of time.

Cons: This had a terrible smell! After the first 3 days of using this I felt small bumps on the outer edge of my face (I have never broken out there, and this powder was the only product I put there, but I shrugged it off thinking it was just my period). After a month of using this my skin broke out with TONS of small whiteheads! The kind that are semi under the skin, semi above the skin, 100% annoying!

I have discontinued the use of this product and will update with my results.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/25/2007 10:44:00 PM More reviews by carmelp

It's an ok powder. It's one of the few powders that closely matches my skin tone (Stay Beige). It does keep shine down, but with my skin in the summer, if you blot more than a couple of times, it starts looking chalky and too thick.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2007 8:31:00 AM More reviews by ClemClem

I have this in stay buff and I LOVE it. It's great for summer or when you want to look as if your skin is naturally flawless...(ha!)

I could not live without this product! Great coverage, keeps the oil at bay, highly reccommended!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2007 1:48:00 AM More reviews by DaffodilFields

I have a very oily t-zone. A very nice SA recommended this over liquid foundation, and matched me to the 2nd shade, which is perfect. I use it every morning on top of concealer, and follow with a bit of bronzer. It takes me 2 min. tops to do my basic face, which is great, since I don't have time. These three things make me look 90% better though. I do notice a difference in oil production when I use this. I get oily, but not as quickly (it's not a miracle or anything, but it helps). When I blot during the day with oil papers, I follow with this in the invisible shade(bought that too), since I don't like adding color on top of color during the day. This helps a lot to keep the oil at bay during the day, much better than just oil blotters. I tried MAC studio fix, and it is not suitable for my skin at all (made me oily and break out), and their blot powder is okay, but I prefer the invisible matte over that too just b/c it doesn't give me the powder on top of powder on top of powder feeling I hate-makes it seem like I piled layers of makeup on my face throughout the day. My one tip: do not drop this compact anywhere. If I have one complaint, it's that the compact/powder well is poorly constructed. One mistake is all it takes for the powder to shatter, which I learned the hard way :(

rated 1 of 5 on 11/5/2007 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Melhadjis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Besides the horrible bulky green compact the powder does not last at all. Very disappointed. After having a crappy experience trying to get matched i ended up getting invisible. It's an alright match but i would not repurchase this. It is just not what i expected.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2007 6:22:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE (2012-02-17): BOYCOTTING RE. CURRENT ANIMAL TESTING FOR CHINESE MARKET

This review is for 01 - STAY BUFF.

A pressed powder that does its job, nothing spectacular, and a bit too drying - my skin became ashy and flaky through the day. The powder is quite finely milled, enabling an almost imperceptibly discreet coat. Easy to apply. It could be topped up without looking too heavy, depending on your skin; but, having slightly dry skin, I don't top up. This colour nearly works on paler skin - only if using a light coat. As it's apparently the lightest colour (I tried translucent too) and the compact powder most suited to drier skin, that's not really satisfactory.

This was bought as a replacement for a Boots No. 7 powder (Perfect Light Pressed Powder in Translucent), which was nondescript - not in a bad way, it was OK. I've now come to appreciate what a very nice powder it is (see review) and returned to it, duly chastened and contrite.

The Boots had in turn been bought as a replacement for my gorgeous favourite pressed powder, unavailable in Ireland and I think discontinued: Clinique Soft Finish. Gentle Light was also nice. Clinique have reduced their pressed powder range to a grand total of two: this one for combination through drier skins, and another for the oilier. Again, not good enough!

So - looking for a powder to give a light finish, normally used as my only face makeup (not counting eyes; it's a basic human right to prettify light lashes). I have pale skin with some freckles, and besides not really needing any evening-out of the complexion beyond the odd dab of concealer, foundations are a disaster area given the skin-matching issues. A warning to other pasty-faced people out there: Clinique's not too friendly towards us. I went back to complain about the powder, and a SA tried to sell me one thing that looked orange and another that was chalky over freckles and made me look dead, buried, and dug up a few days later... ah, one day, Prescriptives custom blend, one happy day...

On dryish to really very dry skin, the powder-lover might also like to try Lavera, Dr Haushka, Origins, Clarins, and Prescriptives. The latter is also, as ever, the best bet for the best skin-tone match.

UPDATE: Leaving skin looking dull, and drying it out. Down to 2 lippies. I've abandoned this and have returned to the Boots No. 7: it's better, cheaper, and they had a voucher that made it half-price.

INGREDIENTS: talc - octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate - calcium stearate - calcium silicate - trimyristin - nylon-12 - ppg-12/smdi copolymer - methicone - dimethicone - hydrogenated lecithin - tetrasodium edta - phenoxyethanol - methylparaben - propylparaben - [+/- mica - bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163) - titanium dioxide (ci 77891) - iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499) - ultramarines (ci 77007) - carmine (ci 75470) - manganese violet (ci 77492)] continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2007 3:09:00 PM More reviews by jujilover87

i luv this powder..tru it doesnt last as long as i would like in terms of oil control but it doesnt break me out and is super gentle..plus the shade stay neutral is great on my skin tone!! it also gives great coverage....

rated 1 of 5 on 10/27/2007 12:34:00 PM More reviews by jgorog

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I wasn't very happy with this powder. When first applied it looked pretty chalky and I had as much oil breakthrough as usual. The the real problem came when touching up.. it immediately caked and went splotchy. Not too impressive. Save your money and skip on this ineffective powder.