July 28, 2014 | 1338 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Ultrabland

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2009 4:38:00 PM More reviews by hellogina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the only cleanser that has ever gotten my face completely clean. I have very oily skin and it took years to dawn on me that simply trying to dry the skin out was not doing any good.

Using Ultrabland is similar to using a cold cream. If you find it too oily, follow it up with a toner or scrub. I use it on its own in the morning and with a scrub before bed. This is the only combo that has ever reduced my 10+ year battle with blackheads that didn't also fry the top layer of my skin. So yay. :P

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2009 2:03:00 PM More reviews by RainWitch

Ultrabland is an oil based cleanser designed primarily for dry skin. I think that only if your skin is incredibly dry should you use this stuff every day. Otherwise use it too take off your eyemakeup, or perhaps every few days use it to give some moisture to your skin. I find this cleanser particularly useful in the winter, when my skin is parched by the cold and the wind. At the moment (July) I use it alternately with Coalface, which seems to be working. I use this by smoothing it all over my skin, including my eyes and eyebrows. I then soak a cotton pad in water, wipe it off, then use another pad with toner to take off the rest. I don't need moisturiser, as my skin is moisturised by the oils enough, but dryer skin than mine might want it.

With regards to taking eye makeup off, it is dissolved by the oils and can then be removed by a cotton pad. I use UB on my eyes and eyebrows every day, as I find it makes my lashes and brows really thick and healthy. I think it's the honey. Also helps my bags.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2009 4:33:00 PM More reviews by boezoe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using Ultrabland only at night to remove my makeup, including eye makeup & mascara. It is FABULOUS! I absolutely love it & just bought my 2nd tub a week ago. The smaller size tub lasted 3 1/2 months. I use a pea size amount for each eye to remove eye makeup & an almond size amount on my entire face. I spread around in circles on a dry face for about a minute or two. Then remove with a hot wet washcloth & being gentle around the eye area. Then I spritz a LUSH toner on a cosmetic round about 5 times & remove any excess makeup & oils that the Ultrabland will leave behind. I then use Herbalism. It is a longer routine for me than any other facial cleanser I've used, but the results are so worth it! I have reviewed another cleanser that I used in the past saying it was the best cleanser I ever used. Well, that was before I discovered LUSH. Try this as a sample if you are curious but don't want to buy a full pot yet. I have combo skin - dry on nose & chin, but can also be oily on t-zone by end of day.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2009 12:50:00 AM More reviews by Nymph33

I got this as a sample, so I haven't used it for an extended period. I suppose for a light cleanser it is okay. The only problem is that if you don't mind using not-so-organic there are a multitude of cheaper cleansers that work just the same, are just as tame, and extremely cheap. For example, Olay moisture-rich cleam cleanser for normal to dry skin is nearly identical in texture, smell (or lack there of) and effect. The same goes with the St. Ives makeup remover and Facial Cleanser. Because these are so inexpensive I prefer them over the Lush version. Yet, if you must have organic ect then there is nothing wrong with this other than the fact that it may be too tame.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2009 12:18:00 AM More reviews by thebobcat64

I got this in the sample size about a month ago. Works great for removing makeup. It is very gentle, so perfect for around the eyes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2009 9:37:00 AM More reviews by PaleIsTheNewTan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

UltraBland has quickly become my favourite way to remove face makeup & sunscreen after the end of the day. I do not use it as an everyday cleanser, but UB works much better than my old standby of Take the Day Off balm & a baby wipe. I have not used this to remove eyemakeup as it just feels a little too heavy and I don't feel like tugging on my eyelids to get rid of residue.

The packaging - like a lot of LUSH's packaging IMO - is terrible. A pot that one has to dip their fingers into. The first time I used it - thankfully, it was a small sample from the Night in for Two skincare set - to remove foundation, primer, and all that junk, I noticed the product had foundation residue in it as I kept dipping & re-dipping into it. While I could have just sanitized or washed my hands between dips and applying, I also know I'm lazy and probably wouldn't be all that conscientous or paying much attention to keeping it sanitary if I was half-asleep after a night out and I was removing my makeup. As much as I complain about jars with no spouts or pumps, it clearly can't bother me that much as my moisturizer, foot cream, and masks don't have pumps either, but I diegress.

It is also really easy to over-do it with this product and use too much. It is quite runny in consistency, like a thicker egg white. There's no real noticable smell in my opinion; or at least no really overpowering fragrance. I have found keeping this refrigerated keeps it pretty solid, and makes it easier to take a small piece for use, as opposed to when kept in a bathroom cupboard when I gobble up a ton. I will definately pick up another Skincare for Two set for travel-size versions of UltraBland for travel & overnight stays, as well as continuing to use the 45g jar [$14.95+tax CDN] at home. It's a pretty good value for the price considering how little I use each time.

When it comes to use of this product though, I think there is some confusion, which may entirely be on LUSH themselves part. The salesgirl suggested I wipe off with toner, preferably one of their oil-based ones. The instructions in the SfT set suggest using the included muslin [?] washcloth to wipe off the remaining oil. No mention of toner whatsoever - but I don't know if that's because the instructions suggest UB, cloth, Toner Tab, mask and advocating a toner right before a Toner Tab might be overkill. Either way, personally, as a sensitive, oily nose, dry everywhere else girl, I'm too paranoid to just use the wash cloth method. However, I haven't been using any of LUSH's toners to remove this - not even left over Toner Tab water. This works well with my Niver Sensitive/Dry Skin Toner - though I do have to use at least 4 cotton rounds with toner to remove UB. I also go over my face with a sensitive skin baby wipe to remove any residue. If you don't have problematic skin, the warm washcloth might work. But IMO, you don't need to buy LUSH toners, masks, & moisturizers to get the full effect of Ultra Bland.

I'm giving this a 4, due to the runny consistency when kept warm & the fact it's potted. Other than that, this product has replaced my former TTDO balm HG as my makeup remover, though I will still continue to use a seperate eye makeup remover. All in all, a standout product from LUSH.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2009 3:17:00 PM More reviews by iridescent

Love it. I wish that it had taken me fewer years, but I figured out the key to my oily, congested skin is to stop trying to dry it out. It seems counter-intuitive that a thick, oily cleanser would do anything but aggravate oily skin, but it has actually scaled back my oil production significantly. It removes makeup as well. I use this at night, alternating with Babyface as my before-bed routine. Don't fear the oil!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2009 9:40:00 PM More reviews by rinstarangel

Too greasy to use as a cleanser, however I use it to remove eye makeup. But to just be used for that purpose, it's too expensive. I've tried it on my face, but it doesn't make me feel clean and leaves an oily, filmy residue. Way too heavy. Will not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2009 2:23:00 PM More reviews by brandylee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this as a sample after the SA saw that I wear alot of makeup daily. I don't care if this works for me or not- it's way too thick and greasy feeling for me to want to use. I have very very oily skin so in order to me to feel clean, I like my face to be on the dry side after washing. This made me feel oily and it took me a while to remove that residue. I will use regular eyemakeup remover from now on, or use face washes that remove my makeup.
*Update*
Ok, I attempted to try this again (since my sample was generous) and it did work fairy well on my eye area, got most of my eyeshadow off in one swipe (with a cotton ball) but it took some effort to get my mascara off. Left my eyelids feeling nice and soft. I still don't want to use this on the rest of my face though !

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2009 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Lakiwahine06

Ultra Bland is not a bad product, it has pros and cons depending on what works for you. This review is based on my own experience with this product only.

Ulta bland does not take off my makeup. You apply a tiny amount and massage it throughout your face. It just smears my makeup around. I used bare minerals for foundation. And it definetly does not take it off completely.

After applying it, you wipe off the excess with a cotton ball, or makeup pad. Some up the makeup with come off, but not as much as i would like it to.

I have had to use a cleanser after using this product.

As most of you know, Lush products tend to leave a residue. Not a bad residue, just an oily moisurizer. Some like the soft silky feeling others need a clean feel. Not a product for a clean feeling.