October 23, 2014 | 1291 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED & REFORMULATED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2009 6:01:00 AM More reviews by i2ismartazzi2i

I love how this feels on my skin. I like it alot. It gives me full coverage without it being so heavy and thick. I love the spf, but I hate the color choices because there is not much to choose from. Also, it is really expensive for such a small amount. However, it looked really good on my face, and controlled my oily skin pretty well. However I did break out when I wore this, but I did wear this foundation when I was breaking out alot already. I think I will continue to use this until I really figure this thing out. So far so great though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2009 5:07:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I guess everything is based on one's personal experience. Last summer when I was travelling a great deal, I decided I needed a good foundation that would give me sun protection and also withstand the high heat.

I use the Shiseido sunblock spf 55 for many years so it was time to try the foundation. There is only one way to apply this foundation and if you use a brush or your fingers, or a sponge, it must be done in small sections and then buffed well. The finish is impeccable. The durability is all day (in fact there it is recommended it be removed with an oil) and this makes one's skin look -- yours, but much much better.

I love this foundation for summer and hot weather. I will be using it again shortly so I thought I would write about it.

As usual I have my back up in place:D

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2009 9:55:00 PM More reviews by txpenelope

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my favorite & I have yet to find anything that comes close.

I went to the Sheseido counter because I have strong yellow undertones that even Prescriptives couldn't match. I thought that maybe a Japanese brand could match me. The color is a really good match for me.

My oily skin is so sensitive & can be acne-prone with some products. This foundation doesn't break me out. I can break out if I don't take off my makeup at night, but that's with any foundation. (treatment mask next morning helps avoid breakouts when that happens)

Due to melasma, I want a foundation with good coverage. Although this liquid is quite runny, the coverage is really good & leaves a very nice dewy matte finish. I still get complements on my skin with this foundation.

My skin is so oily that many foundations can just slide off. Although this foundation doesn't last me all day as other reviewers with less oily skin, it still looks great to lunch. After that the oiliness of my skin completely takes over. I blot with pressed powder to rejuvinate the look.

I will purchase this foundation over & over again.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2009 3:49:00 AM More reviews by karamino

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a half foundation half dream! Finally have found my HG foundation for summer, my God I donīt know where to start from.
    Iīm a truly NC25 and the shade SP40 matches perfectly, it fusions perfectly on my skin, I just couldnīt believe my eyes as soon as I applied it transformed my skin (with a sponge coz it dries quite fast), my skin looked much younger!
    I would call this foundation "a second perfect skin in a bottle", it doesnīt crease in the eyes (normally this is my problem with foundations) it doesnīt fade away (after being the whole day in the bike and working out) and the best is that it looks amazingly NATURAL, no caky at all with a soft matte, it does not feel that you are wearing make up at all plus you know that you are well protected from the sun.. In my opinion this is the foundation every woman should have, anyways seeing is believing and the best way to try it is on your skin.
    The only con is that I canīt use this foundation in winter time, it is way too drying for my skin and it ages it a lot:(

UPDATE 06.2010; I got the shade SP50 for the summer and it is practically the same as the shade SP40 but I find the SP40 to work much better for me, the SP50 somehow has more pink undertones to it. My favourite way to apply it so far is with the Sigma F80 (SS 197) flat kabuki brush (this brush is absolutely AMAZING for liquid foundations as well as creamy ones) a must have!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2009 5:33:00 PM More reviews by aparnanatarajan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation. My HG foundation with my bobbi brown skin foundation. This is a very lightweight foundation with great coverage potential and even greater staying potential. I didnt like it initially as i did a mistake of setting with powder with my dry skin. But this product works best without a powder. The only problem is color matching. They do not have a lot of actually no shade for darker skin. I got the darkest and I am medium skin toned.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2009 8:54:00 PM More reviews by J_cool

Shiseido Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 PA +++

COVERAGE:

Provides EXCELLENT medium coverage. If I could compare it to another foundation with similar opacity, it would be Estee' Lauder's Double Wear Liquid Foundation. There's really no need to apply concealer with this, as this covers most imperfections. You can easily apply more to achieve fuller coverage, but it's probably best to apply lightly, because it may start to look quite heavy.

BLENDABILITY:

This formula is light and a bit runny, but it is highly blendable and dries to a soft, semi-matte finish that I just love. For the formula being so runny, it covers so well with so little.

COLOR SELECTION

I tried 30 and 40. The 30 shade would probably suit a light/medium yellow-toned person (NC20), while the 40 shade is more of a slightly warm, peachy tone that I found to suit my skin's color best. The 30 shade was a bit too light, while the 40 suited me just fine, although I would prefer it to be more of a yellow tone than peach. The 50 shade, from what I hear, is more yellow/golden and would complement a more olive complexion (NC30, perhaps?). I didn't try that shade, however.

The coloring system seems to cater toward the very fair to the deeper medium shades. Darker complexions may have difficulty finding a decent shade.

PERFORMANCE

The foundation does last for a long time (8hrs), however, it does make the skin oily. The oiliness, however, doesn't fade the foundation, which is strange. The makeup has strong bonding properties and it will stay if if prime your face well and then powder lightly. If you don't do the priming and finishing, then the foundation will get noticibly greasy quite fast, like within an hour or two. Keep blotting papers around for this one.

SKIN REACTION

This is what prevented me from wearing this foundation again, ever. I'm very anal about removing everything from my face at the end of the day. I made sure my face was squeaky clean after wearing the Sun Protection foundation. Because it is one of the foundations of the skin-bonding variety, I used a cleansing oil, a face wash, and a toner lotion. Although it is time-consuming, this regimen really cleanses my skin and keeps me free from breakouts and congestion. But even with this regimen, this foundation just ravaged my skin. With prolonged use, I had fat, puffy, sore breakouts, redness, and excessive oiliness. Wow, no foundation I tried (and I tried hundreds) has given me such a reaction. The only culprit I can think that caused this was an ingredient in the foundation called tournmaline, which is a crystal of sorts that is rich in minerals for the skin. All I know is that exfoliants, especially harsh, jagged, rough ones, really inflame my skin and break me out. Tournmaline, being a crystal, would probably be similar to an exfoliant and could have really irritated my face. It's just a theory, though.

While the foundation looks nice, covers immensely, and feels light, I can't sacrifice the health of my skin. If I continued to use this, then I'd start to scar. I can't recommend it to oily skin types or sensitive skin types. I'd say sample it for a week or two, and if you like it and find that it doesn't hurt your skin, then try it out.

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/12/2009 3:55:00 PM More reviews by lifedespitegodtwopointoh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really disliked this foundation. I found it drying. The finish was too matte and pasty, and it really made my face look lifeless. Also, if you don't have yellow undertones, it may be difficult to get a decent match. My skin is on the cooler side of neutral (I can wear some cool and some neutral foundations) and my closest color match in this product literally made me look green. I wound up returning it.

You may like this product if:

-You have very oily skin. Then the drying wouldn't be a problem and maybe enough oil would soak through the makeup and make the finish dewier and not so lifeless?

-You have yellow undertones so finding a match wouldn't be such a problem

-You need an extremely longwearing foundation. I could put this on in the morning, work 10 hours, go surfing for 2 hours, then get home and still have makeup left on my face.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2009 10:50:00 AM More reviews by besidetheocean

I've been using this for over a year now, so I thought it was time to update my review. I will NEVER use another foundation. If they ever stop making this stuff I don't know what I'll do. My skin is extremely sensitive and acne-prone and this is the only makeup that I would even consider putting on my skin; everything else has broken me out.

Since there are a limited number of shades I have to use SP50 and SP60 mixed together. It's fairly expensive but in my opinion, totally worth it. I usually buy it on ebay and save a few dollars though. The consistency is nice but I recommend applying it pretty quickly because it tends to dry fast. The coverage is amazing! Even though my skin has gotten a lot better I still have a lot of marks from old breakouts but when I'm wearing this makeup you can only see them in really harsh lighting.

It's 100% waterproof and sweatproof but comes off easily with my cleanser, which is not heavy duty whatsoever. It was the only sunscreen I used on my face during a beach trip and I didn't burn a bit. So, yes it gets 5 lippies and I'd give it a million if I could!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2009 8:24:00 AM More reviews by clay2626

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin and live in a very humid part of the US, this foundation is the only one I have ever purchased that stayed on through the heat and humidity. I have tried so many foundations from high end Cle De Peau, La Prairie, Sisley to Guerlain Extreme, Lancome and nothing has stayed on and provided the coverage like Shiseido liquid has for me. I do like Armanis new foundation and it stays on for a full day of work but this foundation stays on longer and I do not have to worry about my foundation being gone by noon. Yes I still have to blot in about 4 hours but at least my foundation is still there. I am a NC 25 and tried the 40 but felt it looked too ghostly so I went up to 60 which too me was a warmer and better match. The colors can be tricky so its best to go to the counter and see the colors for yourself. Great foundation!
    UPDATE- I love this foundation but ever since I have been using it I have had a problem with breakouts on a daily basis. If you can wear this its a good foundation.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2009 11:09:00 PM More reviews by cakie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm NC25/Shiseido 040, and use this in SP30, which is suppose to be strong yellow undertone. Though since my face does always appear redder than my neck, so the coloring of this foundation just didnt work that well for me. As the first time when i used this, i did not use the MUFE green primer underneath, and my face looked totally at least 2 shade darker lol The color appears fine as long as i use the green primer underneath. The formula is actually very similar to my beloved Revlon Mattifying Foundation, it is very watery when applying but will dry quickly as soon as you apply. Feel very light on skin as well. However, you will really have to apply it with a quick and light hand or you will end up looking cakey. The staying power is pretty good i would say, though everything will melt eventually during the hot 90 degrees summer anyway. It does stay on for at least 8 hrs (depend on your location setting, ac or outdoor...) Though my face still get oily within about 4 hours and need to be blotted, but i would say that is not bad at all (again, it was like 90 degree!!!) as with my regular shiseido fluid foundation, my face will probably start to get oily within 2 - 3 hours. SPF 42 is definitely a big plus. And last, i did not break out from this at all, not even a single tiny zit. You just really have to remove it with cleaning oil completely every night and you will be fine for sure (i use DHC) A definitely a must have oily gal. Since my regular shiseido fluid foundation is d/ced, so i think i might just gonna switch to this line as regular daily foundation.