April 17, 2014 | 1017 users online

Moisturizers - MAC - Strobe Cream

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2009 7:17:00 PM More reviews by macquadisiac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I've had this product for a long time (I have it in a total different package that I like more... it's more like a tube). At any rate, I love to put this product on my cheekbones for an extra highlight, but other than that, I don't find it to be very useful (definitely not worth the price). It doesn't show up under any of my foundations, so I always put it on TOP! That seems sort of strange... I also don't personally find it very moisturizing, but that may be because I have an old formulation.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/12/2009 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Vixxan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I mix this product with my foundation. I couldn't not get this product to work for me because of all the breakout. It did add a nice glow to my foundation but the breakouts were unbearable. I got a sample of strobe liquid from my MAC counter and to my surprise no breakouts.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/12/2009 12:44:00 PM More reviews by Impetuous

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok, firstly, I honestly didn't know what to do with this product. I bought it when I was in South Korea In December and just getting into makeup.

Initially the MUA applied it all over my face. Not so much like a moisturizer, she must have been highlighting various areas. Due to my inexperience, I thought it'd be good to slather it all over my face when I got home. Not so good ;D The glitter face bothered me, so I let this sit at the bottom of my makeup bag for a while. As it was marketed as a Moisturizer, I don't actually feel too stupid about using it like that, I just looked incredibly stupid.

Recently a MUA friend of mine did my makeup. She rummaged around my bag, found this cream and used it as a highlighter on the tops of my cheeks. Hmm. So it's a highlighter and it does a good job at highlighting. It doesn't have a colour to it, so it's just kind of shimmery.

All in all, I don't love it, wouldn't buy it again, but damn, at least I found a use out of it? When I run out you won't see me scrambling to MAC to buy another. I'd much rather use Benefit High Beam, if only it didn't make my skin bubble up. Argh.

Good:
Nice as a highlighter, even if that isn't it's original purpose.
Good, hygienic packaging. Does stand up on it's own despite what other reviewers have said.

Bad:
A bit thick and heavy.
Kind of pricey at 20.50 for 50ml. Especially for a product I don't use so much.
Makes a glitter-bomb face if used as all over the face, so it's not a moisturizer as marketed.
If used as a highlighter inexpertly, it will highlight flaws. Boo.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2009 6:50:00 PM More reviews by lilaclufy19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I find absolutely no difference between this and Strobe Liquid, besides the consistency. Essentially, they're the exact same product. I've been using both of them for highlighting, but they're a bit too subtle for that. In addition, these streak and smear my other make-up beneath (I use exclusively powder products on my face, with the exception of this). I tried using this as a moisturizer, but it's much too iridescent for that, and not creamy enough. I've resorted to using it on my under-eye circles, but it seems like a big waste to pay $30 for an under-eye cream that doesn't even moisturize. Wouldn't repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2009 12:46:00 AM More reviews by margiemay80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Another recent purchase for me. I've been layering this beneath my foundation, applying it to my entire face. I like that it provides light coverage - definitely not too heavy or oily - and makes foundation smooth on afterward. It provides a nice healthy looking dewy glow and I've found that it's given my make-up better staying power.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2009 3:03:00 PM More reviews by idhren

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

When I got this product I was actually supposed get the Strobe Liquid, but it had ran out, so the nice girl suggested I tried this instead. It was winter so she told me it'd be especially good as it moisturizes the skin.

I'm glad with the product - I use it on my cheekbone and sometimes on my cheek to even out redness - as it reflects light, it lightens the skin. I've discovered this product to be very creamy though, I'd liked to use it to cover my whole face with it to give all over glow, but with Strobe Cream the result would be way too oily and shiny. Liquid would do better with that. My skin is pretty fair and has redness, so for me the pinkish glow is just great.

It has never caused me any skin problems, and as you need just a little bit of this to give your cheeks amazing shine, the 50ml tube lasts long. Next time I'd like to try Strobe Liquid though.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2009 2:40:00 AM More reviews by DazzleStar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I Looooooove this product!!!! The best under makeup moisturiser ever!

It gives an irridescent glow - no sparkle just radiance! I'm NC40 olive/ beigy skintone and my makeup has never looked as good as it has since i've started using strobe cream.
I don't mix it with my foundation like others do, i just apply it before.

I agree with the below reviewer though with the packaging! Completely foolish design as it can not stand up on its own for very long due to the lid being round [MAC please fix this :) ]

rated 3 of 5 on 6/19/2009 9:46:00 AM More reviews by MsAnthropy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ok product.

Im a light skin black person (Beyonce, Sanna Lathan skin range)
I tried to use this mixed in with my foundation but it gave me a slight whitish cast.

Warm golden highlighters such as their Strobe Tint and Skin Shimmer work much better to produce a lovely glow for me.

If you're tanned or dark check those out instead.

I could see how this might work well for a white/ hispanic person though.

As many people have mentioned below this is how the Victoria Secret Angels get their glow. I actually spotted a tube of it lying on a table in backstage shots of one of their shows.

Best when used under or mixed with foundation.

Packaging is whack. It wont stand up b/c the cap is rounded.

Edit: Upon further consideration this is a decent highlighter for black folk, when used on forehead, cheeks and chin. I dont recommend it along the jawline and edges of the face b/c it creates a disparity between the rest of the skin that i find a little stark and a little clownish.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/13/2009 12:12:00 PM More reviews by Bartley

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Let me firstly say that I have never broken out from a product before. But this made me errupt in very angry, very painful red spots across my cheeks and forehead. I have counted seven spots so far.

The first time i used this, i mixed it with my SFF. It made my foundation blotchy and streaky, feeling almost impossible to set. The day after I broke out with one sore spot on my cheek. I decided to try again the next day with this as a base. Straight away my skin looked more even toned and super luminous. When I applied my foundation over it, my skin looked the most gorgeous it has ever looked. It was smooth, luminous, glowing. Every product applied like a dream. Half way through the day, however, my foundation [studio fix fluid] began to wear off a little, something i've never had before.

I woke up the next day with four new, very large, angry spots. They are painful and red, and so upsetting. Today [the day after] I have woken up with two more painful spots - even though i didn't wear strobe cream again.

I'm now too scared to even attempt to try Strobe Liquid instead, my skin has never looked so bad. I only ever break out once or twice a month if that, and now i look as though i suffer from acne. I'm so upset.

However, i realise that if you have dry skin, this will make your skin look amazing. I would definitely rec. a sample first though, i never expected to break out, and now my skin has never looked worse.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2009 4:21:00 AM More reviews by valdezc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Strobe Cream is good to use for highlighting an exact spot because you can get it just where you want it. Miss the old packaging because it was more simpler and easier to control the amount of product you want. It gives your face a nice healthy glow without looking like you were trying too hard. Shows up very natural on my NC44 skin. Would repurchase just because it blends very nicely with my foundation.