December 19, 2014 | 827 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2012 9:31:00 AM More reviews by Jackiiev

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

after using bare minerals for the past 10yrs...it was time for me to change to a liquid foundation. I heard good reviews on the estee lauder double wear foundation...it last long...good coverage...and yes...that is true. It covers up my blemishes really well that i don't even need to use a concealer after.
BUT...
i have very dry skin and if i don't moisturize really well it brings out the flakes on my face. and even after moisturizing well it still makes my face look dry. I think though this is good to use during summer time so i'll try it then.
Now...
it has not broken my skin yet. I've been using it for about 2 weeks.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2012 11:15:00 AM More reviews by rlsadc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been using this foundation for about 3 months now. My problem with foundations is that I am VERY pale, and I have a hard time finding something that doesn't turn me orange. I wore Clinique Even Better before switching (Linen, their lightest color, had become too dark for me). I went through tons of brands looking for something that worked, and the only other brand I found pale enough was Lancome. I just wasn't willing to pay that price tag. Anyhow, I wear shade 1C1 Shell with the SPF10. You have to be careful not to use too much of this foundation (that's where the cakeyness other reviews are talking about is coming from). This is not a full coverage foundation, and it is extremely blendable. I just dip a qtip in, and that amount is perfect. I NEVER look cakey. I apply with my foundation brush. The bottle sucks if you don't buy the separate pump. I use Rimmel's Stay Matte powder to set it, and I can go all day without having to refresh my makeup. My only complaint is that I wish it had a bit more coverage, as it doesn't cover up my blemishes very well. I use a separate concealer for those.

Overall it has been one of the better foundations that I have used, and I don't mind paying $36 a bottle because it lasts FOREVER.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/1/2012 8:13:00 AM More reviews by thealmightyboots

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have a love/hate relationship with this foundation.
There are things that I hate about it, but for all that I will repurchase when my bottle runs out (soon)
for reference, I'm quite pale with combination skin, and have this in Ecru.
THE GOOD
-The best staying power of any foundation. ever. you can dance the night away, go swimming, this stuff will. not. budge.
-Very high coverage, looks impeccable.
-Good for oily skin - I actually use a tiny amount just as a base for my nose if I'm wearing one of those dewy foundations that is loved by the rest of my skin, but will turn my nose into an oil slick by lunchtime.
THE BAD
-smells like paint...dulux?
-can look a bit heavy/cakey, ok for night wear, but I don't think I'd use this for day wear.
-makes it hard to blend other products put on top of it - ie. blush, powder shadow, bronzer.
-horrible bottle. just awful. wastes a huge amount of product because you have to pour it out of a wide glass bottle neck. seriously, how hard would it be to have a pump pack?
THE UGLY
-my very acne resilient skin would break out if I used this on a regular basis.
- and this is what prevents me from using this more...now, given the high coverage, porcelain like finish, and incredible staying power, one would think it would make a good 'special occasion' foundation...right? that's what I thought - I looked beautifully made up and flawless at a wedding, until I saw the photos...In which I was an enormous white ghostly head floating floating around the celebrations...no...it doesn't photograph well.

so, I'll keep it in the collection as a sort of concealer/primer/halloween makeup just for the sheer (sorry, matte) mightiness of the staying power, but if you're looking for an everyday or versatile foundation, keep looking!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2012 5:46:00 AM More reviews by harmony888

WHITE FACE foundation. The number one (first) ingredient is titanium dioxide which makes you white in pictures. Worse than MAC studio fix though I stopped using that too, MAC also makes "whiteface" with its TALC being number one and titanium dioxide as well.
Returning tomorrow. Waste of time and effort.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/30/2012 9:23:00 AM More reviews by Georgie2013

i hate this foundation! i have a quite oily t zone and the rest of my face is normal, this foundation made my face look cakey and very "fake looking". it looks like im smothered in foundation, horrible. ill stick to just using my benefit perk up perfection and concealer, foundation looks to fake for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2012 7:41:00 PM More reviews by wondryas

I love this foundation. This was teh first founudation that I ever stuck to for more than one bottle. This stuff stays on ALLLL DAY. I find with other founudations they tend to migrate a couple hours after id put them on. This one however stayed put. I just wish it wasnt as expensive as it is.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2012 4:32:00 PM More reviews by jafe11

This foundation is extremely long wearing and that also means it is difficult to take off. I have oily acne prone skin so this broke me out. It is thick and heavy, mask like feeling. It creates a matte look, too matte, and looks very unnatural. Maybe this would be good for one day, a formal event, but you have to wash it off with a make up removing cleanser. To completely remove this foundation, I actually had to use my eye make up remover then make up cleanser. I also use a Clarisonic and the make up stained my brush head. I dropped it and the make up stained my jeans. I used Shout, Spray and Wash, Oxyclean but the make up wasn't removed. Finally the blue dye came out of my jeans along with the foundation. Since this stained my clothes and is so difficult to take off, it makes sense that it was horrible for my skin and clogged my pores and broke me out.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/25/2012 11:07:00 AM More reviews by iburns88

I have acne scars and hyper pigmentation.After years of using drug store foundation, this was my first "high-end" foundation purchase. It sadly disappointed me. It's very drying even on my oily skin. It really didn't cover any of my blemishes, more like a sheer to medium coverage. Like others have stated you really have to prep the skin before-hand to avoid dry patches and an overall hot mess sitting on the skin. I ordered in the color 5w1 and ironically it matched my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/25/2012 6:47:00 AM More reviews by rosielombardi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So I has left a rave review when I first got this product in early September because I really loved it. It worked wonders on my oily skin! But now that summer has passed and my skin has returned to be a little drier it's absolutely HORRID. I apply it in the morning after generous amounts of moisturizer and a very oily primer. By 11, it's completely off my face (it has sunken in I guess?) except for my nose and forehead which is orange and flaking off my face. It's actually better if I just don't wear makeup at all than when I wear this. For anyone with combination or at all dry skin, don't use!!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2012 6:29:00 AM More reviews by sljr16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this everyday for work (I'm a Desert Beige in winter then go up one shade for summer). I was a long time user of Revlon Colorstay before switching to Double Wear. They're both very similar and both take a little bit of time to sink into the skin.
I like DW better because it is more pigmented (so I use less product), has stronger staying power and gives a smoother, creamier coverage. The only problem I have is that it gives off a white cast/makes me look like a ghost (I'm guessing it's the SPF?) so I tend to use a shade darker than normal for night time/flash photography. It doesn't wear off, fade or rub off on clothing and doesn't get shiny/oily, although I use a setting powder on top during summer.
I've been able to use it on my super sensitive skin with no problems, and no break outs either.
Price is fairly decent for a department store foundation and I probably use half as much product as I would if I were using the Colorstay, so it works out. The glass packaging is lovely to look at but a pain in the ass to use!