April 17, 2014 | 1649 users online

Skincare - Face - Avene - Thermal Water

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2011 10:27:00 AM More reviews by Espiegle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was one of those people who never understood how these "pschitt" waters were supposed to be used, or if they did any good. I decided to tackle the issue, and started to incorporate it into my routine when I found "designer" Evian sprays on sale for a euro.
It didn't seem to do much, and on impulse, after trying and liking Eluage cream, to buy a mini Avene thermal water spray. And that's when I saw the difference.
I didn't actually realize that my skin was so sensitive, until I started using products (like Avene) that calmed it down. I've always had imperfection-prone skin- always have a pimple or two, if not more, and they take forever to heal (if I fiddle with them, forget it) and they leave scars that take years to fade. If they ever do. As I'm now over 40, I'm starting to get wrinkles, and I live in a place where the winter is harsh and for the first time, my skin is dehydrated.

I remove my makeup with micellaire water first, and you're supposed to not leave it on your face (even though it always says "don't rinse" on the bottle). And regular tap water is often too harsh (and it definitely is where I live, extremely hard water- when I first moved here my hair and skin went haywire) so you're supposed to use this to re-balance your skin/ph level, and all that, after any product/face washing. And Avene thermal spray really REALLY makes a difference on my skin. I go from splotchy, with any imperfections feeling and looking worse, to having a clear face in just a few minutes, it's absolutely amazing! I mean, I never thought it was possible, first of all, and it's so ridiculously basic.
Method: (mine, anyway, and what I've been told by "experts" (French women with perfect skin :)) You need to spritz your whole face until your face is almost dripping. Then you DON'T TOUCH IT. Just let it sit there and sink in and dry. Then proceed to do whatever you normally do- in my case, serum, moisturizer, makeup.

This gives my face a smooth, clear, poreless tautness that is just wonderful for starting skin care and makeup routines. It's really like blank canvas rather than damage control!

Sometimes, after finishing my makeup I will do the lightest pschitt to "naturalize" my face, if I feel that maybe it's just a bit too stiff, which happens if I'm cold or tired or I've used too heavy a hand for some reason. For this I find it's best to hold it the can a distance from your face, press just for a nano-second, and walk into the light mist for the best result, and just once is fine. (Too much or too heavy or too direct a mist and it can spot or wash your makeup.)

I'll use it on my eyes first thing in the morning, too, it's extremely refreshing, and cleans and clears the whole area.

It's also the first thing I reach for in my locker after a work out, and especially after the sauna.
It has really saved my skin. I don't know if other waters work as well- I've only tried Evian, and I don't get the impression it's AS good- and Avene is cheaper than Roche Posay (in the class of thermal waters) so I've had no reason to switch for the moment.
This was the missing link, and now that I've found it, everything works, so obviously will repurchase again and again :)

36 out of 37 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2011 8:00:00 AM More reviews by ConfessionsOfAMakeupHolic

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

really nice spray! you can get this in three different sizes, big, medium and small, wich is nice, so you can take a mini spray when your travelling etc. it soothes my skin and makes it really glow! i use this to set my makeup and just cool and freshen up my face when i feel hot or sweaty. i feel this to be better than Fix +, this feels to do good stuff for my skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/3/2011 9:15:00 AM More reviews by Fionaw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was using Avene spray before, but I've been told by a friend (her roomate is a dermatologist living in france) that it is not too different from tap water, coz very few minerals. =( I switched to Uriage spray: you can tell the difference, my skin is much better! I use it after showering to avoid contact with towels, I spray and let it cas, as recommanded (I have very sensitive skin) & after waxing. I liked Avene's packaging better though!
FL

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2011 5:28:00 PM More reviews by e_L_L_e

I think this is more than glorified water in a can. I have seen visible improvements in my skin sensitivity and redness within a few months of using this product. the biggest improvement is definitely the broken capillaries around my nose area. I like to spray my face lightly before moisturizing, pat it in with my hands, and smooth on moisturizer while the skin is still damp.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/28/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by et3naltwilight

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is my first time using a thermal water spray. So far, it hasn't given excellent results but I'm expecting that it would work better in the summer when people get red, sensitive skin. I'm also thinking that the point of this product is to have this softer, thermal water as the last water drying on your skin as opposed to harder, tap water. Thus it's probably better for travel.

So far it's ok. I did get softer and more moisturized skin after patting the water dry.

Edit: It doesn't work after a few days for me. It feels like I'm just spraying water on my face.

Another Edit: it is now summer and it's working better on my skin. I guess it only works in humid/warm conditions. I resorted to using the spray again after my cheeks turned irritated and red. After spraying and waiting for 30 seconds for the water to absorb, I gently patted my skin dry. Amazingly afterwards, my skin was no longer red.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2011 2:35:00 AM More reviews by Judy82

I initially used this a number of years ago and didn't think much of it. I repurchased it quite recently after my skin became quite irritated and red due to an overuse of glycolic acid and I love it. It really helps calm my skin. We are currently having one of the hottest summers on record in Australia and this has been a skin-saver for me. It helps cool my face down, it's refereshing, helps my irritated red skin and helps my moisturiser sink in better. I love it and would recommend it to anyone, especially someone in a hot climate. I keep it in the fridge so it stays cool and gives me that extra 'refreshing' kick when I spray it on my face. A definite repurchase, even though it is a tad bit pricey for what it is and how long it last, although I think I used it too often (around 4-5 times a day nowadays in this heat).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2011 7:07:00 AM More reviews by Lazulia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

It's brilliant.

I know there is criticism about the fact that because the water is pressurised, it's not good for your skin (free radicals) but in my case, there are too many benefits in using this to bother worrying about it.

Spraying onto my skin after a shower is like the "ahhh" feeling you get after drinking your first gulp of ice cold water on a hot day. My skin get very tight and dry after a shower or cleansing before bed and this helps my moisturiser sink in properly.

I've tried the Laroche Posay version, and I think this one is much better. The mist is finer and the spay is wider. Here in the UK, the Avene is cheaper also (by a few pence, but still).

I just wish I started using it sooner rather than later!

PS: I admit though, it is very expensive for what it is. But, it works and, with it, I need to use less moisturiser. In the long run, it's worth it. Still...come on Avene, it's water...!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2011 12:50:00 PM More reviews by cali

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product for a little over a month and I like it a lot, but I'm not sure I can say I love it. It does seem to calm my skin a bit and when I spray it on before my moisturizer it does keep my skin more hydrated. The price is not to outrageous so I will probably buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2011 2:39:00 PM More reviews by supeng

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

It doesn't moisturize nor does it tones. Because it's not meant to. It's meant to calm irritated skin after reacting to certain irritants or after shaving and changing of environment. It really calms my flushed face a lot and you know it when a product feels good on your skin and you know that it's helping you.
It's exactly what Avene's Thermal water does to me everytime. As for if I would repurchase, I ALWAYS repurchase it. :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2011 2:29:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I love Avene especially Eluage, the tinted sunscreen (only one w/green hue that looks natural on me, also the body oil etc), and have had the spray several times since it came with some gift packs I got. I just don't find anything special about it other than its hard to find a misting bottle that sprays as fine a mist as this does. If I could, plain old bottled spring water would be better for me. So when I have this in a set I use it to set my mu, but otherwise use spring water in a regular spray bottle though its sloppier.

I hoped this would help my very reactive skin since I moved and now deal with hard water, my skin is always red. But nada, zip, just plain old water to me.