July 28, 2014 | 2043 users online

Blush - NARS - Exhibit A

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2009 4:27:00 PM More reviews by laila7

One thing i love about Nars blushes is that they are very well pigmented as long as you get the right colour for your complexion. This is a bright, bright deep orange/red, which is great on most complexions as long as you are very light handed and looks great when used with a highlighter to balance it out. Great multi-purpose product on the go for eyes and lips (with clear gloss) too!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2009 12:11:00 PM More reviews by claireknowles

I love, love, love this color, but I'm fair. It's a joy for me to find a bright, flat red. I even use it on my lips under glossy Stila lip glazes.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2009 9:27:00 PM More reviews by J_cool

Upon reading dozens of reviews on NARSí Exhibit A blush, I was really excited about purchasing it. After several days of using the product, I can honestly say that it is, indeed, different than any other blush Iíve tried. Itís negative attributes far outweigh itís positives. Wait - is there anything ď+Ē about this controversial blush, whom many claim to be one of the best things to have happened to makeup in the last decade? Well, read on...

Exhibit A is a very densely packed and hyper-pigmented blush. The initial color in the pan is a bright crimson color, like tomatoes. Yet, when applied to my light-medium yellow-toned skin, it shows up more like a bold, reddish-pink, with pink being more apparent. The color, in a muted state, is a very nice, natural flush. However, this is where the praise for Exhibit A ends.
What is most frustrating about this blush is that it is so difficult to apply! With the lightest touch of my brush, the pigment just annoyingly clings to it. Same thing happens when applied to the skin. It just drags on the skin, clings to it, and is MOST difficult to blend, which results in obvious demarcation (which could easily be mistaken for an extreme case of roseacea). This occurs even on a primed, matted, smoothed foundation surface. The only reason I can give for this is that one of itís ingredients is lanolin, an animal fat of sorts. This could explain why it lacks the blendability of a true powder blush. It streaks and sinks into the skin (people with larger pores take notice, this will severely draw attention to them sooner or later)! Whatís even more frustrating is that because it contains a lubricant (!!), it gradually tends to melt away any makeup it comes into contact with (foundation, concealer). At the end of the day, my foundation is gone but my cheeks are stained reddish-pink; and my pores are also way more apparent. Why? I even primed! Itís a terrible sight!
Iíve used the standard, common approach to applying this blush. Iíve heard that itís takes special tools and techniques to reap the real benefits of Exhibit A. Many of us, however, donít have the time to ďresearchĒ on how to apply a certain blush; weíre not professional makeup artists. We pay NARS a bundle to manufacture a blush that is to be applied with ease and with great results. If they donít want to manufacture practical makeup, then they should only sell to professionals. This seems to be the stuff for photo-shoots and run-ways; it certainly performs that way, itís hardly functional. I like makeup thatís simple to use and effective and long-wearing. I canít stand fussy cosmetics like NARSí Exhibit A that demand too much of your time and effort with very little or no payoff.
As already mentioned, Exhibit A has a comedogenic fatty oil as one of itís ingredients. Why? I have no idea. Is a reputable, pricey makeup line really that stupid? And why include it in a POWDER BLUSH?? So, no surprise that after a couple days, i developed acne bumps under my skin. You know, the ones that hurt. This blush was the only new thing Iíve incorporated into my daily skin regime, so, of course, it must be the culprit. Oh, and when I stopped using it, the acne stopped ďbumpingĒ up.
The reasons I listed above are enough for this blush to be condemned in many circles. But, many still love it and it remains an insider favorite. If theyíre skin is strong enough to wear it, then, wow, I envy them, because the color payoff is nice (after you really ďworkĒ with it, that is) and the color remains virtually unturned after long wear - bear in mind that itíll be the *only* thing on the cheeks at the end of the day. Maybe drier skin types will respond much better to it? But for $26+, I expected much more, especially from NARS. Trust me, thereís much better formulated, affordable, more advanced options out there, many available at the drugstore. In my case, it was very difficult to apply, time-consuming, appeared somewhat patchy, removed my foundation (due to itís heavy, oily properties), exposed pores like nothing else, and caused painful acne. It deserves nothing more than a one-and-a-half star rating.

28 out of 48 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2009 11:47:00 AM More reviews by Barbarizia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my go-to blush for any face. I am an independent make-up artist (mostly proms and weddings) and this is the only blush I throw into my bag. Have used it on every skin tone out there and it never looks anything but fabulous. Just gotta watch to not apply too much. The proper brush and layering will help.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2009 8:38:00 PM More reviews by swirlingblacklily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

NC43. I had to buy, return, repurchase, and let this one sit in the closet for a couple of years before I finally figured out how to make it work for me. But now that I have, it's a staple. This is my everyday, not wearing blush blush. Makes me look alive without being obvious. I lightly tap a corner of my fan brush against the blush, blow off the excess, apply, and then blend like crazy. If I apply too much, I'll apply some loose powder over it and kind of buff the powder and blush into my skin. I would definitely repurchase this if I lost it, but I doubt that I'll ever be able to use it up.

I'm only deducting a lippie because this isn't the most convenient product to apply - it's not one of those products that you can swipe on when you're in a hurry and need to be out the door in 2 minutes.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2009 5:54:00 PM More reviews by vintageleopard

This is a great blush. It makes me look healthy and flushed. It is very pigmented on me so i use the tiniest amount on the apples of my cheeks and blend. AMAZING!!! I think this blush 'exhibit a' and taj mahal will work serious magic on any face. I do highly recommend using both together. Honestly its just health in a compact ;) Please try this that the makeup counter. One side note: if you just stick your finger in to the blush to swatch the color you will recoil as it will just be BRIGHT RED. So do yourself a favor and have a MA put it on you with a blush brush. Then much happiness will occur.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2009 12:43:00 AM More reviews by MirandaJune

Apart from the Nars creme blush in 'Constantinople' this is has done my HG blush.You're better off using a touch of this instead of putting a cement truck load of peachy shimmery blush on your face. I love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2009 10:44:00 AM More reviews by somohlala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

VERY Pigmented... be careful how much you have on your blush, a little goes a LONG way. and blend well otherwise you're gonna look like a clown (the thing everyone needs to avoid)

The color is nice if you want a sunkissed look (especially for tan skin like me)... more for the beach or for cillin out, i wouldn't recommend this color if you're going to a job interview or wanna look posh and made up

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2009 10:15:00 PM More reviews by zeje

I have been wanting this color for a while and got it for Christmas. I wish I had not waited so long because it is just lovely. It gives a very nice flushed look, but as with most NARS blushes you have to be very light-handed or you will end up looking like a clown.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2008 11:54:00 PM More reviews by arikabh

This blush is amazing for making you look all tawny and flushed. Like if you were slightly tipsy! This blush is great on but intimidating in the pan. It would look amazing on any skin tone with a varying degree of intensity. I recommend this beautiful soft highly pigmented blush to everyone! The texture of this so smooth!