Maybelline Volum' Express The Mega Plush

3.3

on 9/23/2013 9:50:00 PM

Ok, so I will be honest no matter what the reviews said I was going to buy this mascara purely because of the packaging and just try to make it work! When I first applied this mascara my eyes looked like those amazingly long and expensive extensions- INCREDIBLE! However, only 5-10 minutes later the curl had gone and my lashes looked tiny, compared to their average length without mascara. I decided to wear two coats one day and after an hour of having it on I asked my friend who knows how much of a mascara junkie I am how my lashes looked, she said "WOW, I have never seen you without mascara before!" and then I told her, on closer inspection when I checked out my eyes in the mirror at the end of the day, the mascara had smudged all over my eyelid! I will be honest I really enjoy the brush and formula, the bendable brush is something you can really work to get a great fluttering look in your lashes, the formula is impossibly light and very, very black. I love wet mascaras but also thick mascaras and this was very thin, it literally is a gel mousse.
This mascara exceeded my expectations by far at initial reaction but after a while, the disappointment in Maybelline starts to really kick in.

MUST READ:
In the start of the review I mentioned that I was going to find a purpose for this mascara and I realised that it is a great primer! When you put it on and work quickly whilst it is wet and you apply another mascara (Rimmel scandalise, orange tube, Maybelline falsies) over the top it adds a bit of spark to your usual mascara routine. Also beware that the mascara brush hits your lids easily during application so do mascara before any eyeshadow, liner etc.

on 9/22/2013 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

At first, I did not like this mascara because of the brush. I also felt the formula odd and off (sticky and wet). However, I've discovered switching it w/ the "One by One" wand / brush works, and I've also learned to just love the brush as it does provide me with some volume. It makes my eye lids feel light. I cannot stand heavy on the lids and / or dry brittle crunchy lashes. I feel I can keep on coating without clumping. Also, I find that Mega Plush does NOT flake or smudge on me, even in light rain fall -- that comes at a cost tho, I take one lippie down as I find it sort of a longer process to remove. Lastly, I just love that the "Blackest Black" is INDEED extremely black. Infact, it's the blackest mascara I think I've ever tried from the drug-store & my lashes are black to begin w/. If and when they ever dis-continue this mascara I'd probably stock up like crazy and try to find other gel mascaras. I've RE-purchased it 3 times over the course of a year & also bought one for my friend. I wish it lasted until the 3 month mark but I find it's more like 2, but @least it's often on sale for under $10.

on 9/19/2013 5:21:00 PM

I love this mascara so much! For an Asian, my lashes are relatively long but this mascara makes them even longer! There isn't a smell and I TOTALLY RECOMMEND THIS!!!! http://galspop.jp/blog/ejimamariko/ Read my blog! I use this mascara in some of my tutorials! (in Japanese)

on 9/18/2013 5:35:00 PM

One of the worst - feels dry and didn't lift my lashes whatsoever. Was really let down by this one and I've tried a lot!

on 9/16/2013 7:11:00 PM

This mascara was ok. Not bad but not great either. It didn't make my lashes as thick as I hoped. I have used other maybelline mascara that has made my lashes alot thicker and longer looking. The one good thing I like about this was the fact that my lashes felt alot more natural. Not hard and rigid, but nice and soft. It just didn't make my lashes that thick and it didn't last all day.

on 9/15/2013 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

So I've never been reviewed a product before after only one use, but this one deserves it! So I have recently been on a hunt for a drug store mascara that can give results close to those more pricy ones (I love mally volumizing mascara and estee lauder voluminous). I think I've found it with this one! I already have long lashes, I'm mostly looking for the volume and separation effect. My lashes are fine, so I need a mascara and brush that separates and plumps. This does exactly that with a nice fluttery soft effect. I didn't experience the smudging that other reviewers are talking about, but I'll post an update if I DO experience it. Until then...I'm totally happy with this $6 mascara!

on 9/7/2013 10:41:00 PM

I wouldn't repurchase this mascara. It was so good to put on but within 1-2 hours the mascara would rub onto mu eyelids and under my eyes- resulting in horrible panda eyes. Living in New Zealand- makeup isnt cheap and this mascara cost me $26. I wouldn't pay that much for it again.

on 9/7/2013 2:09:00 PM

The brush barely coats your lashes, the formula is wet. However, holds a curl and I would recommend this for a natural look. Bought at Wal-Mart for less than 6 dollars. Would buy again (for natural looks)

on 9/3/2013 11:06:00 PM

The formula of this stuff seems to do what it says. It adds some volume while still keeping your lashes lush and soft.
On the other hand the applicator is so damn horrible and useless it makes the mascara itself difficult and tedious to apply. It has this weird thing right before the spooly that makes the wand bend like crazy! It's frustrating because it makes putting on mascara, which is normally a fast thing, take way longer than it needs to.

I wouldn't repurchase, and don't recommend anyone else to either!
Their are much better options within the same price range!

on 9/3/2013 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This mascara could be really good if it would stop smudging!

I love how it went on, and it made my lashes look great (and they were soft!). I liked the brush and the formula. Unfortunately, after a few hours, the tips of my top lashes made black dots on my upper lids. By the end of the day, my bottom lashes gave me the dreaded panda eye effect. This stuff smudges and smears really bad, but it's still difficult to remove at the end of the day with soap and water. How does that even happen?

Panda eyes for 3 days in a row is a deal breaker. This is going back to the store.