April 16, 2014 | 1724 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2006 11:08:00 AM More reviews by 5ftcutie

I just got this pressed powder yesterday and only used it once...but I'm impressed already!!! The packaging is soooo crappy, the compact doesn't even close all the way on mine...but whats inside makes up for it. I've tried many different powders and have always come back to CoverGirl Clean pressed powder....well now I'm probably going to always come back to NYC. I got "translucent" and it's VERY light...I'm VERY pale and it suits me perfect. It goes on smooth and gives a bit of coverage (better than CG) I have combo skin and always have to blot/touch up every couple hours...but not yesterday...My face looked the same at 12am as it did when I put it on at 3pm.
It was only $2.67cad at Zellers....really you can't do better than that!!!!
UPDATE: I switched to the loose powder and I like that better...but this stuff is still good!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2006 11:46:00 AM More reviews by Chamuda

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I agree, this is as good as most pressed powders and better than many.
Personally I haven't had a problem with the packaging. One can always change the puff if you find a better one to replace it with, or use a brush.
This is a light color, so it would work well only on very fair-skinned people. I am very fair, but even for me, it gives me a lighter appearance, which I don't mind per se, as I am prone to redness and flushing.
I have to say that the only pressed powder I have tried that is definitively better than this is the Chanel Matte pressed powder, and that one costs $42! where this one costs less than $2.
What I do is keep the Chanel at home (it is a bit nicer in the appearance it gives the skin - nicer color (I use Beige), etc.) and then touch up with the New York Color during the day - I keep it in my purse.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2006 10:01:00 AM More reviews by abbyten

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Because my skin is oily (especially so during the summer months) I use blotting sheets and powder during the day to keep the shine under control. I have been reading the reviews for MAC Blot Powder, which seemed like it would be a good solution for my oily skin, but I was hesitant to spend $24 for powder. After reading the reviews for the NYC powder, I figured it was worth a try. I love this stuff. It really mattes out the shine but doesn't leave my face dry or chalky. It is so lightweight and sheer that I can put it on my face again and again if I want, and it never builds up or cakes. It also doesn't makes what lines and wrinkles I have more apparent (often a problem with many powders). Yes, the packaging is very cheap, but since I can buy 12 of these for the price of one MAC Blot, I don't mind.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/13/2006 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Jaqueta

This is a great pressed powder at an incredibly cheap price. I buy it at Target for about $1.75. It sucks up the oil and leaves my face looking soft and matte. My only complaint about this product is that the packaging is horrible, as is the cheap foam pad that they call a "puff"- but you're not supposed to actually use those to put the powder on anyway, right? The powder comes in a compact that is so cheap it's not even hinged- it's just thin plastic folded in half. I fixed this by taking a Physician's Formula Powder Palette Multi-Colored corrector compact I never used (in the green shades) and prying the powder pan out. The pan for this and the NYC are the same size- I just switched out the pans and threw away the green powder and that horrible compact, and I not only have a good, sturdy compact, but a nice little brush to apply it with when I'm on the go. I love this powder and I'll continue using it as long as I have my PF compact to store it in! :)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2006 1:16:00 PM More reviews by shapat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried this based on the good reviews because my curiosity was killing me. This is a pretty good pressed powder, for the price. This is a lighter shade so if you have a darker skin tone use the darker powder, not translucent, but this worked great for pale 'ol me. If you don't like shelling out more money for pressed powders, this would do the job just fine. Very finely milled, smoothes out your complexion and definitely keeps the oilies away, for quite a while I may add. I used this to blot my t-zone in the early afternoon and my face still looked fresh that evening, so it has some staying power. Great to carry around for touch ups if you have oilier skin. This is as good as anything else out there. If you are on a budget, this is your powder. Average packaging for a $2 powder, but that isn't what I bought it for. You'll need to replace the puff for a softer one with no pores. Does it's job, and that's all I ask of a product.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2006 12:39:00 PM More reviews by claudiajen

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is AMAZING. It is equal to a lot of high end powders for VERY cheap. The puff sucks that it comes with, so I toss it and I use a powder brush instead for setting any foundation I am wearing. I am light so it goes with my skin tone well, and even though it says that it is translucent, I'm not sure how it would look on darker skin tones. Definately buy again and again and again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2006 11:40:00 PM More reviews by AlyHeartsYou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I get the palest shade they make, and it gets the job done for very little money.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2006 6:51:00 PM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

i use this for my fall/winter skin...i have the loose version as well...i love them both....i get as pale as C3 (C4 tops!) and this is a better match than natural beige.....im currently using naturally beige right now bcoz im tanned and C5 in color...so people with medium to dark skin...this may look chalky on u!!!!...keeps my oily tzone at bay...cheap and good

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2006 6:19:00 PM More reviews by wild4pigs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Great cheap powder. I've used many kinds of face powder--expensive & cheap, pressed & loose. This does the job. TO SET. This is a "setting" powder for use after foundation. NOTHING takes away the shine on my nose and cheeks for the whole day. I just don't think that will ever happen. Well...maybe when I'm 90! LOL. Also very inexpensive. Heck, cheaper than a latte. What have you got to lose.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2006 11:05:00 PM More reviews by bluefreakhippi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use this stuff EVERYDAY. It's really good for people who have fair skin, and it creates a clean, fresh look that you'd never expect to acheive for $1.90. My only problem with this product is that my skin is oily and i must reapply it about 2-3 times a day. Using a powder brush with this product rather than that dinky little "sponge" also will give a more even finish.