September 21, 2014 | 1071 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2006 2:53:00 AM More reviews by my_vanity_is_a_mess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this a few months a go, tried it and deemed it another useless product. However I pulled it out again on halloween, because when i tried it last time it was extremely white and that's what i needed. This time I applied it with a fluffy brush and it make my face flawless! Now I've been using it everyday lightly to set my foundation and my normally oily skin holds up ALL day and looks beautiful. My skin seems to be clearing up since using this. Love this stuff! The key is to apply lightly and ditch the applicator.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2006 3:48:00 AM More reviews by kschmiddy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Seriously, this stuff delivers. $1 for a powder that rivals $28 powder?! Why on earth would anyone keep shelling out that much money?! This stuff gets the job done! It's not actually truly translucent-more like a very, very pale yellow. Which is perfect for me-a pale, yellow-toned gal! This looks like my real skin, absorbs oil perfectly, and lasts. The packaging is crap, but who cares?! $1 here!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2006 12:57:00 AM More reviews by dragonballz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got this when I ran out of my Revlon "even out" corrector powder. I looked for the Revlon powder everywhere and couldnt find it, so desperate times call for desperate measures. My main criteria was that the new stuff would be oil-free with a good rating on MUA. The sponge thing is terrible and made me look chalky and white. I now use my brush and it produces more natural looking results. The packaging is a joke too. So far the powder seems to be ok but I look more pink with this than with my old stuff. Its a great value for the money but I may not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/8/2006 6:34:00 PM More reviews by Xinya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It is not translucent at all. It is chalky white. The packaging is cheap and the powder is not fine either. It's way too much fair on my skin (I used to use lightest shades in foundations) and make my skin look chalky. Will not purchase again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2006 10:30:00 AM More reviews by porchcat

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the greatest translucent powder I've found in a while. I can never match my foundation to my pale skin and go a bit darker sometimes, then follow up with this great powder. I usually stand back and look without my glasses on and can tell if my face isn't the same color as the rest of my skin ( ! ) and this passes the test every time.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2006 11:08:00 AM More reviews by 5ftcutie

I just got this pressed powder yesterday and only used it once...but I'm impressed already!!! The packaging is soooo crappy, the compact doesn't even close all the way on mine...but whats inside makes up for it. I've tried many different powders and have always come back to CoverGirl Clean pressed powder....well now I'm probably going to always come back to NYC. I got "translucent" and it's VERY light...I'm VERY pale and it suits me perfect. It goes on smooth and gives a bit of coverage (better than CG) I have combo skin and always have to blot/touch up every couple hours...but not yesterday...My face looked the same at 12am as it did when I put it on at 3pm.
It was only $2.67cad at Zellers....really you can't do better than that!!!!
UPDATE: I switched to the loose powder and I like that better...but this stuff is still good!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2006 11:46:00 AM More reviews by Chamuda

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I agree, this is as good as most pressed powders and better than many.
Personally I haven't had a problem with the packaging. One can always change the puff if you find a better one to replace it with, or use a brush.
This is a light color, so it would work well only on very fair-skinned people. I am very fair, but even for me, it gives me a lighter appearance, which I don't mind per se, as I am prone to redness and flushing.
I have to say that the only pressed powder I have tried that is definitively better than this is the Chanel Matte pressed powder, and that one costs $42! where this one costs less than $2.
What I do is keep the Chanel at home (it is a bit nicer in the appearance it gives the skin - nicer color (I use Beige), etc.) and then touch up with the New York Color during the day - I keep it in my purse.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2006 10:01:00 AM More reviews by abbyten

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Because my skin is oily (especially so during the summer months) I use blotting sheets and powder during the day to keep the shine under control. I have been reading the reviews for MAC Blot Powder, which seemed like it would be a good solution for my oily skin, but I was hesitant to spend $24 for powder. After reading the reviews for the NYC powder, I figured it was worth a try. I love this stuff. It really mattes out the shine but doesn't leave my face dry or chalky. It is so lightweight and sheer that I can put it on my face again and again if I want, and it never builds up or cakes. It also doesn't makes what lines and wrinkles I have more apparent (often a problem with many powders). Yes, the packaging is very cheap, but since I can buy 12 of these for the price of one MAC Blot, I don't mind.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/13/2006 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Jaqueta

This is a great pressed powder at an incredibly cheap price. I buy it at Target for about $1.75. It sucks up the oil and leaves my face looking soft and matte. My only complaint about this product is that the packaging is horrible, as is the cheap foam pad that they call a "puff"- but you're not supposed to actually use those to put the powder on anyway, right? The powder comes in a compact that is so cheap it's not even hinged- it's just thin plastic folded in half. I fixed this by taking a Physician's Formula Powder Palette Multi-Colored corrector compact I never used (in the green shades) and prying the powder pan out. The pan for this and the NYC are the same size- I just switched out the pans and threw away the green powder and that horrible compact, and I not only have a good, sturdy compact, but a nice little brush to apply it with when I'm on the go. I love this powder and I'll continue using it as long as I have my PF compact to store it in! :)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2006 1:16:00 PM More reviews by shapat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried this based on the good reviews because my curiosity was killing me. This is a pretty good pressed powder, for the price. This is a lighter shade so if you have a darker skin tone use the darker powder, not translucent, but this worked great for pale 'ol me. If you don't like shelling out more money for pressed powders, this would do the job just fine. Very finely milled, smoothes out your complexion and definitely keeps the oilies away, for quite a while I may add. I used this to blot my t-zone in the early afternoon and my face still looked fresh that evening, so it has some staying power. Great to carry around for touch ups if you have oilier skin. This is as good as anything else out there. If you are on a budget, this is your powder. Average packaging for a $2 powder, but that isn't what I bought it for. You'll need to replace the puff for a softer one with no pores. Does it's job, and that's all I ask of a product.