October 22, 2014 | 2082 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2013 4:15:00 AM More reviews by janetchan216

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using my Mia for over a year now and absolutely love it! I was using the Olay one before I switched and noticed that Mia is a lot more effective yet gentle. I use it every night and it removes every bit of my makeup. It's a lot to spend at once, but it is definitely an investment because my skin has never felt so clean. It is very durable: I've dropped it multiple times but nothing is scratched, chipped or broken and still looks pretty new. I only need to charge it once every 2 weeks. If the one I have now for any reason breaks, I will definitely by another one in a heart beat.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2013 10:51:00 PM More reviews by design

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

A few years ago I bought the Mia because of all the great reviews about it. The second I tired it I was disappointed. I notices no difference in my skin and I even felt that I needed to wash it a second time because there was still makeup residue on my face. So I gave it to my mom who loved it. Since then I decided to try it again and bought myself another one. This time I can already see a difference. I got a 'tutoring lesson' from the Nordstrom sales clerk on how to properly use this expensive wimpy bristled vibrator... I smacked down the $100+ bucks and home I went. For the first few days I was very impressed! my skin did look cleaner... but a week later all hell broke loose. my skin was pissed. I started to break out and I just knew it was the clarisonic. That 'purging' effect that they always talk about? Sure. I guess. But I KNOW my skin. It wasn't purging it was irritated. I broke out in little bumps all over and my skin was super oily. Even on my shoulders where I used it I had breakouts. I quit using it and sure enough my skin started to heal.

So now I use that overpriced 'beauty miracle' on my feet. And I have to say it does a great job (hence the 2 lippies). My feet look and feel so clean after I use it. It's like a spa treatment! So overall, no, I wouldn't recommend this to someone witch sensitive skin that breaks out easily. BUT if you've got cash to burn and want to give your feet some TLC so they'll look great for summer, this will help! ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2013 10:57:00 PM More reviews by popnote

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I can't say enough how much I love my Mia. It has made a tremendous improvement to my skin. I break out a little bit less often, but pimples go away quicker. And over all, my skin feels smoother than it ever has. I was very lucky not to experience a purging period, but I fully expected it.

I think there are two keys to using it. First, find the right brush head. I had a great luck with the sensitive head that comes with it, but I decided to try the acne head and find that works even better for me. I haven't tried any other heads, but I am going to test out the deep pore head as well. I think the normal head will be too harsh for me while the extra-sensitive won't be strong enough. All of this is to say, Clarisonic has multiple options so you can address your specific skin type. If you're not satisfied at first, it may be the brush head, and it's worth trying out a different kind to see what happens. Second, simple is better. Use it with your favorite non-abrasive cleanser only. I used to use Cetaphil to remove makeup first and then use my Mia with cleanser to wash my face. Once, while being lazy, I just used my Mia and cleanser, and my skin didn't feel all that different, and it definitely was a bit calmer the next day, presumably because I hadn't scrubbed it twice in a single night. I think if one is doing these things- using the right brush head and just one good cleanser that is right for their skin- the Mia will work wonderfully for them. It sure has for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2013 8:53:00 PM More reviews by Lissalam82

I don't believe I can add anything to a review for the Clarisonic Mia that hasn't already been said.

The bottom line is simply every girl must own one. Especially with advancement and improvements to newer models, it makes the Mia a bit cheaper but no less wonderful. There's different brush heads to match your skin type and they come in several delightful colors so every girl should be able to personalize their Mia to their liking.

I've had breakout problems through High School and as a young adult. I didn't have extremely bad acne, but there was always at least one big pimple somewhere on my face. It could be age or perhaps my hormones are more in check but I truly believe after the use of the Clarisonic Mia, my skin is now always clear! I get a lot of compliments how nice and clear my skin is.

I use it once a day about 5 days a week, in the mornings, to help take off any buildup from my night regimen. I also read in a magazine it's better to use in the mornings rather at night, if you had to pick once a day.

There was a period where I stopped using the Clarisonic Mia for about 2.5 months. The change wasn't right away but after about 2 months, my face wasn't as smooth as it was when using the Clarisonic Mia. It's definitely something I keep in my cleansing regimen for a long long long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2013 3:49:00 PM More reviews by meru

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this little tool. It has been sitting in my drawer for almost a year now. Last year I used it for 6 months every night. I experienced an initial purging period which lasted around 2 weeks. After that my skin felt so smooth and looked very clean. However, my skin was also drier when using this and compensated by excreting more oil even after I tried to put on richer moisturisers. Also this is what made me love and hate it at the same time: it aggravated my sensitive skin. Although my skin felt and looked so smooth and clean, my face was constantly red throughout the day! This is not good as it meant my face was irritated. I switched from the initial sensitive to delicate brush but that didn't help. In the end I stopped using it and it took a long time and a lot of effort to reduce the redness on my face.

UPDATE Feb 2014

Lately I have been really annoyed of my skin as it looked really dull and congested. Therefore I took out my clarisonic again, this time with great success. The trick was to use it with the La Roche Posay Cicaplast B5 baume after cleansing, this prevents my face from getting aggravated and red. It's been around a month since I started using the Clarisonic Mia again and I have seen improvements in my skin texture week by week, and it is still improving. Breakouts are now rare, unless I use the wrong make up or moisturiser, and facial redness has been reduced, oil production reduced as well. Skin tone is much more even and blackheads lessened.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/16/2013 8:25:00 AM More reviews by Breadyyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Update #28 day of using clarisonic (x1 a day):
I've decided to set aside my clarisonic indefinitely. It really pains me to do so as I was really expecting it to work on my skin :(.... But the dark spots left behind from the purge are still around.. Coupled with the more frequent clogged pores I see on the sides of my cheeks, just makes me wanna cry.. Perhaps it's a vicious cycle in which i use clarisonic to remove my thick make up which I use to cover my dark spots... And the clarisonic breaks me out again.. And I get more dark spots and the cycle repeats... I have decided to stop using clarisonic till my dark spots fades.. I'm using nadinola now and will try maxi peel to fad the marks as well... But till then, adios clarisonic... It's bee terrible knowing you.. You gave me the WORST out break in my life.. I wasn't even acne prone before this!!
Update - #14 day of usng Clarisonic (once a day):
Just a little update on how this purging nightmare has progressed...
The cystic pimples in both sides of my cheeks finally died down.. But because I have a skin picking addiction, those bumps have left quite a handful of flat, red/grey marks in my cheeks.. But at least those annoying cystic pimples are gone.. For the past 3 days, I had whitehead pimples surfacing instead... No biggie, I treated them with a layer of LRP effaclar K or Dermalogica's medibac overnight clearing gel and the tiny bumps were down the next morning..

So now that my condition is a little more Under control, I reflected on my first 6 days of mia usage to look not the cause if my ridiculous outbreak... I concluded that the combination of mia (physical exfoliation) and AHA 8% ( chemical) daily was too much for my skin to take.... I was also new to applying 8% AHA at that time... Moral of the story: pls, when you're using clarisonic, don't go all crazy and introduce all kinds of new products to your regime... Stick to your usual regime so it's easier to single out the reason of your outbreak...

My daily process is now this and my skin's handling it well:

day:
Just washing my face with good old cetaphil.... No clarisonic

Night:
-cleanse once to remove makep using an oil cleanser
-clarisonic my face with cetaphil
-apply lightweight moisturiser
-apply layer of effaclar K
- to the pesky areas where i think zits might be forming, apply a layer of medibac
- spot treat scars with ZA true white cream (the only lightening cream that works in my skin and it's cheap)

**note: I only use clarisonic at night to remove my makeup... I'm wearing a thicker layer of makeup now to conceal scars.. On Sundays, I give my clarisonic a rest.. I've chosen instead to mix my AHA 8% with my moisturiser... AHA is crucial to the process of fading those scars.. Will update again in 2 weeks' time.. Keeping my fingers crossed that THIS IS the end of purging period..

BTW, I found this out too late but it's been really useful to the last few cystic bumps I had... APPLY SUDOCREM ON IT TO BRING IT TO HEAD....works wonders!!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 day of using Clarisonic (once a day):
Will update again IF AND when the purging subsides....

Just got my hands on the Mia 1 week ago.. was really excited about using it.. I would follow this process:

-Use an oil cleanser (Shu Uemura) to remove make up
-Apply a layer of cetephil on my face
-Wash mia brush gently with body soap
-Use Mia to clean my face for 1 minutes.. sometimes I'll go slightly beyond the one minute.. (with the default sensitive head brush that came along with it)
-Apply Paula's Choice 8% AHA Gel
-Terproline moisturiser

I did this once a day at night for the past 7 days.. on the 7th day, THE HORRORS WHEN I WOKE UP THE NEXT MORNING!!! Bumps and pimples on both sides of my cheeks!! The only thing I forgot to slap on my face the night before was the AHA gel..

Some of the questions running through my head now are:
-Am I over-exfoliating? Is the combination of clarisonic and AHA gel too potent? I have since cut down my usage of mia to twice a week.. and NEVER exceeding the 1 minute this time.. but I'm still applying AHA gel every night... I'm cursing myself for forgetting to slap on the AHA gel as perhaps skipping that one step was crucial in keeping the purging at bay????
-I have cleaned my brush head once with hydrogen peroxide and warm water... perhaps I should be doing it more often? My brush head does not look dirty or discoloured though.

The pimples on my cheeks are mostly small bumps, but still visible under makeup... there's no way to hide bumps.. also, I had a 3 cystic pimples on my jaw line but they have gone away quite quickly as well.. 2 days max.

It's so depressing because I was expecting so much from Mia.. and when my face became a pizza face I started reading up more about the purging phase.. I'm just hoping that the worst of the purge is over :s

To help calm my skin (perhaps from over-exfoliation??? I have no clue), I have resorted to applying a thick layer of MANUKA honey mask (15+) on my skin everyday for 15 minutes... I've only done it the past 2 days and so far it seems to calm those annoying zits..

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2013 8:23:00 PM More reviews by beuatybme

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought my clarisonic last year for my terrible teenage acne. For the first two months I used it with its original sensitive brush head I honestly saw no results and stopped using it. It did nothing for my disgustingly oily skin or any of the zits and pimples all over my face and I was still getting annoying white heads. But then I got the deep pore brush, for the first month it wasn't that amazing and then all of sudden my skin just started to transform. I completely stopped getting whiteheads, my skin got so much smoother, and everything else started clearing up as well. This brush is a miracle! Nothing takes off makeup and helps with congestion in the same way and its so wonderful! I definitely couldn't live without my mia and i'm so glad I stuck with it. The brush head is what really makes a difference so if your having troubles with the one you've got i'd really recommend trying one of the others before you give up. Best of luck!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2013 6:47:00 PM More reviews by xxrocy

BEst item ever, def helps smooth out skin, blackheads disappear. Love this!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 10:44:00 PM More reviews by kelciekr

After using my Clarisonic Mia for 6 months I have decided to finally write a review. I got this as a christmis gift from my mom, and so far it is the most important part of my beauty routine. The first few weeks I did experience the "purging" stage and dealt with some bad break-outs, but now it was worth it. My skin has improved so much within the 5-6 months. I hardly ever have any break outs or zits unless it's hormonal (time of the month), my skin is smoother and my pores are less visible. For me, having acne-prone teenage skin- this has worked wonders. I would recommend this product if it is within your budget. Even if it's not, the Olay spinbrush (I previously used), worked really well for the price and kept my skin problems at bay
. But the Mia is far more better.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 5:59:00 AM More reviews by lolapolar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The Mia is a fantastic little hand held cleanser machine if you have non-irritable skin, but if you suffer with rosacea like I do, it may not work for your skin. I purchased the Mia and I have rated it with full marks, but I can't use it, not the machines fault, just my skin is so reactive. The machine is great, but my skin is so sensitive that it really irritates my skin. I have really inflamed rosacea on just one side of my face and even the sensitive brush is too harsh. But if you have skin that doesn't break out just by looking at it then it really is an excellent way to keep you skin clean. Would recommend it, but not for people with rosacea.