July 28, 2014 | 1366 users online

Treatments - OPI - Nail Envy - Original

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2009 4:17:00 PM More reviews by jenandhansun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I always had problems with my nails splitting at the sides or bending once they got to ~0.5cm long. Thus, I recall having to always cut my nails because my index or middle fingernails eventually broke off. One day I was too lazy to choose a nail polish color, so I just put on my sister's Nail Envy. I noticed that my nails did not chip, and that they felt stronger than usual, especially when typing with long nails. This is now a must-have for me. I usually use this as a base coat instead of a top coat.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2009 9:29:00 PM More reviews by mzthisnthat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Would I buy this product again? Yes, Yes, Yes! When I found out about this product after watching a YouTube video from "misschieveous" I decided to give it a shot and ordered a bottle from Ebay for about $6.99 (Regis Salon at the mall wanted $18.95, yikes!) I've been using this for about a month and my nails have stopped peeling and breaking at the tips and I actually have long nails. I change my polish once a week and use this as a refresher topcoat each night. I also started using a crystal nail file (try one, it'll save your nails), which has made a huge difference in my nails. Great products that work.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/31/2008 12:50:00 AM More reviews by Darkshadow

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'll start with what I like about the product.

The matte finish is nice, that way I can talk my boyfriend into using it to help with this one split on his thumbnail. It seems to help.

It doesn't miraculously strengthen my nails, but it does help a little bit..

The 'pro' wide brush is very useful, makes application quick.

The ingredients in it make me sick to the stomach. Who on earth would put formaldehyde in a beauty product! Especially when many people bite their nails! Oh dear...!!!

I'd repurchase if OPI changed the formula to not contain formaldehyde. I mean com'on, that's USED FOR EMBALMENT. OF DEAD PEOPLE! Also found in cigarettes. Yummy...

rated 1 of 5 on 12/28/2008 10:46:00 AM More reviews by dentaldee

My nails are in bad shape and this only made things worse. I gave it a couple weeks but I had no luck with this and gave it away. I much prefer Nailtique products.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2008 7:20:00 AM More reviews by AnnKB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this recently as it came in a kit from QVC and the reviews were so good. However I got a shock when reading the ingredients:

ethyl acetate, butyl acetate, nitrocellulose, propyl acetate, tosylamide/formaldehyde resin, isopropyl alcohol, triphenyl posphate, trimethyl pentanyl diisobutyrate, butyl alcohol, fomaldehyde, stearalkonium, bentonite, camphor, diacetone alcohol, ethyl tosylamide, benzophenone-1, citric acid, hydrolized wheat protein, dimethicone, calcium pantothetate, violet colour & titanium dioxide.

Straight away you can smell the alcohol & acetone which in itself is not unpleasant but I worry about the long term drying affect on my nails.

Formaldehyde works to create extra bonds with keratin which create harder nails but can also cause sensitivity of skin and cuticles.I do not know the concentration of the formaldehyde but the fact it is also a known carcinagenic is enough for me.

The stuff does work, spreads easily and dries quickly and is also good as a topcoat BUT be informed and use sparingly and with caution especially when used as a basecoat. Avoid skin & cuticles (as instructions themselves state).

Instead of this am going to use Leighton Denny's bio build in stead which uses bio active glass technology.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2008 1:56:00 AM More reviews by iLoveYoutwo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I never had weak nails, but I always relied on gel nails for length. well, i don't need them anymore, as my nails are long, healthy and strong :)

I put a coat on everyday. sometimes, two! It makes me look like I have nice manicured nails. sometimes i get soo lazy that i do it only twice a week or so but its still very effective :) I am going to keep purchasing these!

JAN 24, 2009
Sorry, I have to change my reviews. As others have mentioned, this stuff does make my nails yellowish orange. I took them off and they actually look much better.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2008 4:36:00 AM More reviews by jawbreaker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love OPI's nail polishes but Nail Envy made my nails feel weaker. I applied this as the directions state and it just felt horrible on. I gave it about 2 weeks and couldn't stand it. (I have since found Nailques Formlua #2 which is wonderful!)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2008 12:58:00 AM More reviews by fashionjunki09

Im in love with this one...I have been biting my nails since forever and I decided to kick the habit and bought this product..My nails are brittle and easy to break since I've been using this my nails have not break, peeled and so forth..highly recommend if you have weak nails.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2008 1:57:00 PM More reviews by happi23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great product. I have weak nails, prone to peeling. I've been using for 3 weeks now and there is a noticeable difference to myself, my SO, and co-workers. Everyone keeps asking what did I do to my nails. Well i've put all of my co-workers on to this product. I cut my nails down to begin and followed the instructions. No chipping, peeling, breaking, or anything. Nice, healthy, strong nails. I'm sold!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2008 10:56:00 AM More reviews by luxferi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been biting my nails since I was six, and this habit carried into adulthood. 4 weeks ago, I decided enough was enough after seeing this girls' pretty nails and wishing my nails look like hers. I have been trying to grow my nails out in the past, but they always break/peel and I will feel the "pull" to bite them till they're smooth. I really did have the worst nails in the world. On average, they were no longer than 1cm - just 0.7cm the last time I measured the longest one. So, I gave OPI Nail Envy a try - and they were immediately strong. For the next two weeks, I put them to the ultimate tests - washing dishes, peeling stuffs, basically using my hands roughly and it never once peeled! My nails are incredibly strong too - they can't be bent. They never cracked, peeled, or break, and as a result my nails are at least presentable today. If you want to see before and after pictures, just go here:

OPI Nail Envy also dries extremely fast. That's another plus point in my book.