Baking Soda

Price: $

Sodium bicarbonate

on 5/16/2011 10:50:00 AM

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I have tried so many facialscrubs, Cliniques, No7, St Ives, Origins, you name it! they all worked to some extent but never made a massive difference. Until now! I use baking soda mixed into a paste with some cold water and use that on its own as a scrub and OH MY WORD my skin has never been so great! Pores smaller, less breakouts, scars fading and skin so smooth and soft!! I always use this scrub every night after taking my makeup off to ensure my skin is free from it, and use Cliniques Moisture Surge gel afterwards. I will NEVER go back to using a branded face scrub again! Especially when a tub of bicarb costs me 56p!!! :D Honestly, if you love face scrubs you need to try this!

on 5/10/2011 7:38:00 PM

I use this every other time I wash my hair ( I add it to my shampoo) to get rid of build up. I also use it as a spot treatment for my modderate acne.Great product I definatly recomend it!!

on 5/10/2011 7:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Use this in a little cleanser and it does help keep the pores minimized!I put it in my hair to help removed build up once,twice a week.Good stuff!
I see results.

I use baking soda to brush my teeth and add it to a cleanser to exfoliate. I know it has many other uses that i got to try out...especially for the hair.

on 5/6/2011 7:24:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I use this as a spot treatment for whenever I pick at my face or a pimple is coming up. I use it over night and it seems to prevent anything from getting worse. It will also dry up some of my acne. Once in a while I will exfoliate my face with it but I don't do it too often since I've heard it isn't good to put on your face so I don't use this everyday.

on 5/3/2011 9:08:00 AM

Made me break out with cystic acne on my cheeks and forehead. It's really bad... I hope I can recover from this :(

on 4/24/2011 4:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

My hair stylist told me I had build up in my hair so I searched all over the internet for a color safe, clarifying shampoo. I came across some articles that stated you could mix baking soda in with your shampoo and it will clarify you hair and is relatively safe for color treated hair. So I took washed my hair first with shampoo then I mixed about a tablespoon in with another shampoo application and applied it like I normally do. Scrubbed the roots all the way to the ends but I let it sit on there for 2-3 minutes. When I rinsed it out my hair felt squeaky clean! I went on with my regular routine by adding conditioner and it felt awesome when I was finished. I had no idea I even had build up in my hair but after washing it like this I could definitely tell a difference. I had been using a sulfate free shampoo for a few months so I think that was a culprit. While I will continue to use the sulfate free shampoo, I will do this baking soda routine once every two to three weeks depending on how greasy my hair gets.. I don't want to wash out my color but I am definitely enjoying a cleaner head of hair!

I also read you could use it to exfoliate your skin, even your face. Haven't been brave enough to try that yet!

on 4/19/2011 11:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I LOVE baking soda....love it love it.

~ use it instead of shampoo leaves my hair nice & clean for days
~ use it as a facial scrub as described above about once a week
~ my son uses it as a facial scrub he's 10 & starting to get a little acne around his nose keeps it nice & clear

around my home:
~ clean my bath tub
~ clean my pots & sink
~ clean my stove top

I'm sure there are more ways i use it.

on 4/18/2011 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

AMAZING. I've been contemplating whether or not I should try it, but I thought why not? Last night, I thoroughly mixed 1 tbs of baking soda with 1 cup of water, poured it into a water bottle, splashed it onto my head while showering, and I came out with incredibly clean hair. My hair was voluminous, shiny, and felt like it had just been cleaned with actual shampoo. Highly recommend.

Last night was the first night I tried using baking soda as a shampoo, so I will update if I find any flaws. Not going back to using shampoo until I find any.

EDIT (Dec 30, 2014): Solely using baking soda appears to make the hair oil worse! My hair doesn't feel clean afterwards. It feels heavier & thicker in a bad, unclean way. I really wanted it to work.

on 4/6/2011 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

did not work for me. i have eczema and this really irritated it. it did make my skin feel soft and clean. i wish my skin would let me use it.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products