April 18, 2014 | 982 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2013 11:30:00 AM More reviews by Superstarcarly

Average mascara! Nothing really special, suppose I would repurchase this but i don't really stick to one brand ill just get whatever is on offer!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2013 12:26:00 AM More reviews by genidun

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really loved this mascara! I haven't really been a maybelline type of girl, but I saw the crazy claims on the packaging and just had to try it. As long as you don't get too much product on the mascara wand (which you shouldn't do anyways) it works really well! The only downside for me was that it didn't hold a curl very well-even for non-waterproof. But I really love this mascara and it is the only mascara I have bought again. (I like to try out lots of mascaras).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2013 6:54:00 PM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have to say I am generally not a huge mascara lover, but ive come to love Maybelline mascaras. I feel like, from the drugstores, they have the best for my mascara preferences. Now, we all have different preferences or needs for our mascara so take that into account with my review. My lashes are long,full, semi curled, can hold a curl, but also on the dry side. I cannot use waterproof formulas bc they tend to make my lashes fall out. I like to keep as many as possible. I hate to see lashes falling out. I like my lashes natural but somedays i feel like i want some definition, a little bit of length & volume. I love Volumining Mascaras. so onto my review
~~~~~~~~ PRICE & AVAILABILITY ~~~~~~~~~~
Maybelline Volum' Express the Colossal is available at most drugstores like Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid as well as mass discount stores like Target & Walmart. The price will vary depending on location & also where you purchase and sales, discounts & coupons. Maybelline puts out alot of $1 off coupons in the coupon saver. I purchased mine at Walmart for $4.97 with a dollar off coupon. It was a great affordable price. This is generally priced around $5-6 which is a typically drugstore mascara price.
~~~~~~ SHADE & FORMULA & PERFORMANCE ~~~~~~
Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal comes in 3 shades, Glam Black, Classic Black, & Glam Brown.This also comes in a washable & a waterproof formula. I purchased mine in Glam Brown which is a nice deep dark chocolate ashy brown. Its dark enough for darkening the lashes. Some may want to go w/ a classic black but i dont mind either. This claims to have 9x the volume w/ collagen, & has a Mega brush to help coat the lashes. I think the formula is wet but more on the creamy side. Not too wet like Loreal Voluminous but not super dry. I think the formula changes w/ time but still remains great. I want a less wet formula since my lashes are long & i end up w/ mascara all over my lids when i just finished a look, not good. The formula & brush work great together. W/ one coat, the bigger thicker traditional style brush allows it to grab onto lashes & gives a little lift & holds curl while giving lashes a more voluminous or fuller look. This makes my lashes look like i put a few fake ones on. The formula is great, has a "mascara scent w/ a slight floral scent too" but the scent disappears immediately. This formula lasts for 6-7 hrs before i see any falling of the lashes. I notice that its still there at the end of the day. I do like to take a makeup remover at the end of the day. It doesnt flake unless i put a whole bunch of layers on. I find this is safe for my contacts, no issues like some ive tried. This is def one of my favorites in awhile & havent found anything that gives me this much volume. Its suggested to not allow the coats to dry in between, Its buildable a few coats. I can give a curl, then coat w/ a few swipes & my lashes are great for the day. If you have preferences like mine, give this formula a shot.
~~~~~~~~~~ PACKAGING ~~~~~~~~~~~
Maybelline Volum' Express Colossal comes in a great bright yellow standard mascara tube w/ bright purple writing. The tube is the standard size with a good amount of product. I feel like this last the 2-3 months without going funky or bad. I dont mind the scent. I love the bright tubing, it draws me in on the mascara, is it just me? or i am the only one that likes mascaras w/ bright packaging?? The wand is long enough for easy application, the "mega brush" is a nice thick bristled brush. I rather the traditional than plastic wand but its my preference. I feel like it coats my longer lashes w/out clumping, it allows it to coat lashes w/out clumping.
Overall, i really love Maybelline mascaras. I feel they come out w/ the best for the price. The packaging is fun & bright, they dont cost alot for something that i am to throw away after 3 months. and Colossal is one of the best ive found for my lashes. I love it, will def buy it again, ive tried others & like them but i think this one im going to go back to again & again, ill update if i find another one but im loyal to this so far!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/28/2013 10:35:00 PM More reviews by Monseter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

makes your eyelashes stick together and it's suuuper clumpy. Smells terrible as well, made my eyes water.

After buying this and "The rocket" mascara, I've sworn off maybelline products for the rest of my life.

As I said in my other review, I can't believe they test this shit on animals and then expect us to smear it all over our eyes.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/28/2013 8:13:00 PM More reviews by starclimber

When, I first bought, I though it was okay, but as I started using it, I started noticing it gave me a stick spidery look. It didn't make my eyelashes any longer nor did it give them a full look and no matter how much I tried, my eyelashes would just bunch up and look short and like I only had 5 thick lashes. I don't think I'm going to buy this one again..

rated 3 of 5 on 3/28/2013 7:30:00 AM More reviews by MadameButterfly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This does a good job at darkening, lengthening and thickening my lashes. My biggest issue with it is that it has this glue-like tacky texture and makes my lashes feel heavy and waxy. It's also very difficult to remove. I would try other Maybelline/DS mascaras before repurchasing this.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2013 9:57:00 PM More reviews by ratyj

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really liked Colossal the first week I used it. The formula was perfect, not wet not dry. It gave me much volume and thickness. Also it lengthened my lash a lot. HOWEVER since then the formula is getting drier and drier, which makes the application very difficult. Now it clumps like crazy even in one coat by itself. I don't like the brush, either. It's hard to pick up my short lashes in the corner. I'll go back to Cover Girl and Max Factor again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2013 5:15:00 PM More reviews by lipsofanangel56

PRICE: Since this is a drugstore mascara, I found that it's very affordable.
PACKAGING: I love the bright yellow tube this has! It's very easy to find in my mascara box. It's a nice change up from the usual black tubes that I have dozens of.
WAND: I absolutely love this wand! I'm more of a fan of the bristle type wands, or even the Covergirl Lashblast plastic bristles. I simply can't stand flimsy brushes or the spiral ones either for that matter. I think it has the perfect amount of product on the wand as well; I don't find that my lashes clump due to excess product on the wand, or that I don't pick up enough product. I think the wand plays a big part in how a mascara functions for me, and this wand is definitely a winner in my books.
FORMULA: I quite enjoy this formula! I tend to like the wetter formulas, though I don't like when they are extremely wet so I like to wait 2 weeks before using a super wet mascara. This one however was perfect right from the start! This lasts me through the entire day, though it's not the waterproof verision. I wouldn't suggest you go swimming with this on though because it does come off veyr easily with soap and water; even more easily if you use makeup remover like I like to do. It does smudge on me after about 5 hrs, but it's nothing major so I just wipe it off and reapply a super super thin layer. I have this theory that if the mascara starts to break down, it will continue to do so unless you reapply another coat to really reinforce the lasting power. Also, I got this is the blackest version possible and I find it is very black.
OVERALL LOOK: I have short Asian lashes, but my eyelashes are naturally curled so I've nevr had any issues in this department. However, the way my eyelids naturally cover the crease and lid of my eye, my lashes tend to completely disappear on me! This mascara really lets them stand out and it's usually not clumpy so that's a plus. The only time this mascara really clumps on me is when I actually have too much time to spend on mascara. I find that I get the best results when I wiggle the wand at the base of my lashes, and then do a quick stroke up and through the rest of my lashes. I feel like spending too long on making my lashes look good actually makes it clump!
FINAL VERDICT: I used to be a loyal fan of Covergirl lashblast, but now I am offially a Maybelline COlossal fan, for the time being at least. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by lolicious

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this mascara a few years ago b/c I liked other Maybelline mascaras...not this one! I'm sorry I can't remember why, but Maybelline can do and has done a lot better. Their One-by-One (orange tube, my favorite) and Falsies (purple tube, wet formula but great results) I actually love!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2013 6:01:00 PM More reviews by zanderae

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

First off, they make this in brown. So that's a plus for me. Brown mascara is not real easy to find in drugstores, which is where I get the little makeup I wear. I like a minimalist look so, even though I used to wear black mascara, these days I go for brown or black/brown.

The brush is easy to use and the product doesn't seem to flake or clump on me. I do agree with other reviewers in that it has an off-putting smell; I used Great Lash for years and I don't remember it having any kind of odor, but this does. (And I smoke off-and-on, so let's just say my sense of smell is not real keen, but I did notice the odor and I was kinda taken aback by that.) I would buy this again but what I have will last a good while so I wouldn't buy it soon.