July 24, 2014 | 1948 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2013 1:38:00 AM More reviews by akharri785

This is my favorite drug store mascara. Nothing beats my HG of Buxom's Buxom Lash mascara but this is a worthy substitute in a pinch. I like the consistency of the formula and the awesome volume it gives me. It does have a very full, bushy brush which can be difficult to control if you're not careful. It also can cause some clumps but it's definitely not as bad compared to many others, and it's nothing a mascara comb can't fix. It doesn't add much length but that's okay because that's not what I'm particularly interested in. It does also seem to dry out faster than other mascaras but that seems to be a common problem with drugstore brands. Like I said, it isn't my HG but it works well if I realized I've forgotten my mascara when traveling or need a quick replacement before I can reorder Buxom Lash.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2013 1:21:00 PM More reviews by ninaeaster

I am on my second tube of this mascara. This is the mascara I can always depend on to give my lashes amazing volume and not flake all day. just a great mascara.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/13/2013 7:15:00 AM More reviews by biancavee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried switching to this product after falling in love with the Falsies mascara because I wanted to see if there were better ones in the market.
Having short-medium asian eyelashes that naturally go straight down, I found the mascara wand too big. I don't really have much complaints about the formula, I don't think it's too thick or made my eyelashes clump together, I just didn't like the wand.
It was too big for my eyelashes and because of that, it couldn't hold a curl after using my HG shu uemura eyelash curler.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/10/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by mc808913

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Immediately clumps my lashes together, and gives it an ugly chunky look. the worst mascara.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/8/2013 9:17:00 PM More reviews by lfantu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product wasn't terrible. It somewhat provided volume & length to my already-long lashes, but there were downsides. To start with, it does give clumps! And the mascara is so watery and strange-smelling. I always have to curl my eyelashes again after applying but I have to wait like 5 minutes for the liquid to dry. It's messy and smells awful.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/5/2013 2:50:00 PM More reviews by boara94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It was okay. I like the lash blast ones better. It is good at de-clumping(?) your lashes and spreading them out evenly. It does hold up curls well. But I think I'll stick with my lash blast for my go to drug store mascara.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2013 8:13:00 PM More reviews by bbyou9

My rating: 3.5 out of 5

Overall, I really really this mascara, and the price is great. After properly curling/separating your lashes, this mascara can do great things-- but be careful not to over-apply because this product will definitely clump your eyelashes. It dries rather quickly so you have to work fast. It's not miracle-worker, but it's a good drugstore product. I also wouldn't recommend mixing it with other mascaras. For some reason, more so than other mascaras I've used, this just doesn't seem to combine well with other products.

Compared to my 3 other current mascaras, this ties for my favorite. Neutrogena Healthy Lengths is okay, a little disappointing for someone like me who love love loves Neutrogena. I don't feel like it works well on it's own. Maybelline Great Lash BIG is my tie for favorite. Looks GREAT by itself or with the Neutrogena mascara. Anyway This mascara definitely compares to the Maybelline Great Lash. My final current mascara is Lancome Definicils. It was a gift I received from a friend (I'd never pay that much for mascara in all honesty) and I love the formula but prefer the Volum'Express Colossal brush way more.

I should also note that I like the waterproof mascara a lot more than the regular formula. However that may or may not have to do with the fact that I bought the waterproof in black (very black, I think it's called?) and I bought the regular mascara in my usual black-brown color. So yeah. Still not sure if I'd repurchase-- I feel like there must be something better out there. I'll probably try something new once I run out but I wouldn't mind going back to this mascara at all. (I will, however, definitely be re-purchasing my Great Lash-- I feel like it's a makeup bag staple!)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 8:27:00 PM More reviews by Blinkz191

I love this stuff! It makes my lashes super long and separates them nicely. I also love the packaging! Its so cute and different! The only downside is the smell.. You get used to it but at first its naastyy.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2013 5:35:00 PM More reviews by echoflow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just switched to this from Falsies, which I loved. I noticed a weird smell, so I am not liking it very much. As far as how it's performing, this clumps badly if you put too much. I will not purchase this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2013 9:01:00 PM More reviews by peakvolume

This is my favorite drugstore mascara! It coats the lashes in dramatic black color while making them appear more dense and lengthening them considerably. (Most mascaras are a one-trick pony, so I was thrilled that the volumizing formula offered respectable length as well!) It didn't do much to curl or separate the lashes, but I had no problems with clumping.

This mascara wore pretty well, to. When I manually curled my lashes, the curl held for 4 hours. I experienced a small amount of flaking at the 6 hour mark as well. Otherwise, I got rich color, length, and volume for over 10 hours.

The wand is chubby, with dense, wide bristles. This type of brush makes for great volumizing; however, it does make coating the baby hairs in the inner corners of the eye difficult. I didn't have any issues with it poking me, though, or being cumbersome. It's affordable to ($6.99), which is remarkable for the great results you get.

The only women I can picture not enjoying this are those who were blessed with naturally thick, dense lashes. The thickeners in volumizing formulas will cause their natural lashes to clump, leaving a sour impression. These women should opt for thinner, more lengthening formulas.

(Read the full review on peakvolume.blogspot.com)