April 19, 2014 | 1814 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2010 6:06:00 PM More reviews by iqaganda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Gave me break-outs!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/7/2010 11:16:00 AM More reviews by linseyp

I am one of the unfortunate ones who cannot tolerate biotin at all. I tried it for 6 months and those were the most miserable 6 months ever for my skin. I had constant uncontrollable breakouts of cystic acne - it was a nightmare. Eight to ten nodules at a time - it was so embarrassing and painful. I pinned it on everything but the biotin and finally ran across a thread that linked biotin to breakouts. I threw away my bottle and my skin cleared up in 2 weeks, still dealing with some of the scarring. Needless to say, I will never touch Biotin again. Obviously nothing it might have done for my hair/nails is worth sacrificing my face for.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2010 11:05:00 AM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been taking Biotin supplements for years now. I take several medications that have the side effect of hair loss, and had gotten VERY thin on top, and was getting extremely self-conscious about it (a comb-over doesn't look good on a woman, either!). My stylist recommended Biotin, and shortly thereafter my doctor did the same.

I've been taking megadoses (5000mcg) per day. Not only has the thinning stopped, but I believe I have had some regrowth. I have short pieces of hair popping up all around my hairline and along the thinnest areas of hair, and my "bald" area has filled in. I'm still far from having thick, luxurious hair, but at least it is growing uniformly across my scalp now and there are no specifically thin areas. I can now pull my hair back from my face without seeing scalp (what a relief!).

I have not experienced breakouts from Biotin, except for the short period when I tried to up the dosage even higher than 5000 mcg, which is probably an overdose anyway. However, based on the reviews on this board, YMMV on this, so you may want to start low and proceed with caution. I don't break out to begin with, so it really takes a lot of anything for me to have problems.

Good luck!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2010 10:46:00 AM More reviews by GoodGala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really think this aught to be in every woman's medicine cabinet. If not than one can naturally in food. Good dietary sources of biotin include brewer's yeast, nutritional yeast, liver, cauliflower, salmon, bananas, carrots, egg yolks, sardines, legumes (lentils and beans) and mushrooms.

It really improves hair and strengthens it, but the key is consistency, you can't skip!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2010 12:25:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkie35

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love!! I would highly recommend! Just don't go overboard in dosage. If you are taking Biotin alone, try to keep it within the 30-300 micrograms range. Otherwise you could break out. Recipe for growing healthy long hair:

1. Vitamin B-complex - 50 mg. of the major B-vitamins (including folate, biotin and inositol)
2. Vitamin B-6 - 50 mg.
3. One recommended daily dose of sulfur, zinc, & magnesium,
4. Silica (horsetail) - 300 mg. daily
5. Nettle - 250 mg. three times daily
6. Beta-Carotene - 10,000 to 15,000 IU of beta-carotene daily
7. Flaxseed oil - one tbsp daily or one tablet
8. Vitamin E - 400 to 800 IU daily
9. Vitamin C with bioflavonoids - one to two grams daily
10. Castor oil -only cold pressed & hexane free, mixed with a lighter oil like grape seed oil or almond oil....castor oil is very thick on it's own.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2010 2:44:00 PM More reviews by LuckyTiger44

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Taking 3,000 mg. now but may up it. Taking it for my hair and nails. Really works for the hair, but I file my nails so much can't tell the growth. However, it really makes your hair grow faster. Supposedly improves your skin, too. Love it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2010 8:02:00 PM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This helps my hair and nails grow faster but not actually regain hair (I have thin hair since age 30) I had to cut back on it because with taking two capsules I had crazy acne outbreaks everywhere and this is not the norm for me! This was the only addition to my supplements at the time so I know it was the biotin.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/1/2010 11:00:00 PM More reviews by MissIrene85

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I am so sad because it definitely did the job for my hair....but after taking these vitamins for 3 months I started breaking out like CRAZY!!!! There is a possibility that I've taken such a high dosage everyday (2500mcg) and I've been using Nioxin everyday which already contains 300 mcg of biotin in it, I've cut down the dosage to see if that would stop the problem but it didn't. I wish I could continue to take it because I want my hair to grow out faster, but it's definitely not worth all the acne scars I have from this product = (

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2010 1:51:00 AM More reviews by MakeUp_0507

I was taking biotin 5000 mg and I think it made a difference in my hair. I don't know about the nails since mine were always healthy and grew very quickly without any supplements. I did noticed the pills made my hair thicker and maybe even grew in some baby hair along my hairline. I need to start retaking these again cause if you stop the results goes away.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2009 9:06:00 AM More reviews by JudgeJudy41

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've gone back to taking Biotin. I started to notice my nails were getting deep ridges ( diabetes runs in the family ). Also, my hair is really, really thinning out. That is part meno & part hair chemicals. I take two ( 1000mcg. ) tablets everyday. They are a Kroger brand and the bottle states: extra potency. So, I wouldn't recommend taking two - maybe one tablet. Its too early to write about the nail situation, but have noticed a big improvement in hair loss. Altho, I still have some hair loss in the shower, I noticed when brushing my hair there isn't that large amount. Whew...wiping my brow. I was starting to think, I was going to invest in Minoxil. I'm not sure if Biotin can actually grow back hair. Maybe, I can write back another day on that ;-)