October 21, 2014 | 937 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2008 4:28:00 AM More reviews by starlite714

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am actually amazed at how many people gave this bad reviews??!!! I have been using Color Preference quite often for over a year now, ever since I went almost completely blonde (too many highlights). What I found with L'Oreal is that the color may be darker than my natural color but its absolutely beautiful. I'm not too sure if its just me, but i feel like it fades pretty quickly.... so I redye often. It smells terrible like all hair dyes but it doesn't destroy my hair at all and leaves it soft and shiny. As long as you follow the directions and leave it in for the right amount of time and leave the provided conditioner in for 2 or 3 minutes and rinse with icy cold water, then you should be good to go!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/8/2008 5:15:00 PM More reviews by kkchamb

I'd rename this product "Inferior Avoidance". It's that bad. It did so much damage to my hair I will probably have to cut it - and I have long hair! The color did not match the box, it left my hair feeling like straw, gave me split ends and more hair loss then with any other coloring product I've used and the grey started coming back after a week. They should yank this product from the shelves. Shame on L'Oreal!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2008 3:34:00 PM More reviews by mainlinediva

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've always used Preference in the blonde shades with much success. Recently, I have been trying to go darker, so each month I would go down a level. This week I bought Light Brown (level 6) and my hair was a med./dark blonde (level 7). Honestly, I was really disappointed with my results. I thought my hair would turn out to be the color on the side of the box (which it always does and it looked like a really pretty dark/ash blonde shade), but it turned out to be much, much darker and like some of the other reviewers are stating a bit bronzy too. I'm going to wait and wash it a few times and see how it turns out. Sometimes it will lighten up after a few washes, so I'm hoping for the best. If I don't like it, I'm going back to their dark blonde shade next month. ***Update**** After a few washes this turned out to be such a pretty shade! I love it! It's like a really dark blonde/very light brown with a little blonde running through it (that's left over from last month). I'm def. going to buy this shade again and see what happens next month.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2008 8:32:00 PM More reviews by alison_k

No one else seems to like this dye as much as me, but I would purchase this over and over! Over the last two months I have experimented with various colors and brands (read my reviews for the disastrous results). I was left with golden brown hair with much orange. Not happy. So I bought Preference Light Ash Brown as it looked a little darker on the box than my hair was at that moment, and I wanted to dye it darker to cover the orange. It was easy to apply, and although it wasn't as nice a formula as Excellence cream, it was still an ok product. Strong smell, but that dissipates after a few minutes. After washing off the dye and conditioning my hair, I was extremely happy with the result, even if it was unexpected. My hair had gone from orangy to a beautiful shimmery dark honey color. It had actually lightened my hair and removed all traces of orange and looked very natural and pretty. I was thrilled! I should know by now that every time I buy dye, the end result will be a lot lighter than the shade on the box. My hair was left in fantastic condition, shiny, silky and full of volume. I can't wait to dye my hair again next month! **UPDATE** It faded and went brassy after a week. Back to Clairol's Loving Care! continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2008 12:19:00 PM More reviews by MomColors

Yeah this colors your hair. But it turns brassy on me in a heartbeat. I consider it garbage. It gets rid of the gray. But it leaves your hair like straw. There are newer better products, try them. I'm done with Preference forever.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/2/2008 10:49:00 PM More reviews by LexiB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

For the record, I might buy this product again, but I am planning on dying my hair only once more to my natural color, before I go gray.

The issue was that I bought the ultra-lift brown color, the ash color, and it was supposed to lighten my hair to an almost blonde color without much damage. Well, it was probably my fault for dying my hair as much as I did, but the color ended up sort of orangey and it damaged my hair so badly that I looked like I had been on a desert island for a month, my hair was so messed up. However, the regular shades that do not lighten so much are probably fine--I wouldn't know because I haven't used anything other than the ultra lift.

Foolishly, I used the ultra-lift again a year or two later, and it still damaged my hair, but not as much, because my hair was in better condition. The color however did not lift as much.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2008 7:25:00 PM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

NO!!!!! I bought this in a dark brown shade (think Halle Berry) and it immediately made my hair almost black. Within a month it was reddish blonde and brassy as hell. Yes, you heard me. Black to reddish blonde. No. Never again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2008 10:44:00 AM More reviews by candybum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Ok, afer having written a scathing review for this haircolor, I tried this again, in a different color, Light Beige Brown, and I have to say, the unbelievable natural color and grey coverage, make it worth the fumes!! I paid about $8 CND for this on sale, and it's just as good if not better than what I was paying ten times that in a salon. Definitely my HG and definitely will repurchase!!!

EDIT: Although this did end up fading a bit, I still like it. I tried a shade lighter this time, dark ash blonde, adn it's perfect, exactly like the color on the box. If you want true color as is shown on the box, stick to this brand. Plus, my hair feels like silk. The only drawback, and the plusses far outweigh the one minus, is the extreme fumes. My eyes did water, but the gorgeous color was worth every tear!

EDIT AGAIN!! Ok, I've found my HG. I finally found my perfect color, Natural light ash brown. Perfection. I followed the directions to a 't' and the coverage is incredibly even, incredibly natural looking, my hair feels amazing, and it even covered all the little greys in my part! I feel like I should go and buy every last box of this stuff while I can in case it's ever discontinued!!!! As I mentioned above, the color turned out exactly like the color on the box, not too dark as a lot of boxed colors turn out. And again, it did fumigate me to tears but honestly, the color is so nice, it's worth it!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2007 10:25:00 PM More reviews by serena123

I keep my hair a few shades darker than it naturally is, so I re-dye every six weeks or so. I used this product's dark brown shade this time and was very happy. My only complaint is the amount of red undertones that seem to come with it. Still, if you want natural looking color then some red is probably going to be part of the package. The smell wasn't overwhelming, it rinsed out easily and it definitely left my hair feeling healthy and not at all damaged - the most important part of a hair color, in my opinion. It also came off my skin easily.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2007 2:00:00 AM More reviews by Jaynne

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I can't find a review post started for this - surprising. I was using Garnier hair colour but found the colours too dark, flat and heavy - (see pix of me just before Preference) - eventually I ended up with colour way too dark and flat and had to lift the colour - I had decided to try Superior Preference in light Auburn after the lift - but it was too light so I immediately went over that with med Auburn #53 (all in one night!). After about a week of that I felt it was still too red for my skin tone so I called their help line and told the gal all the processes I'd just been through and what I wanted (a little bit darker, richer, less auburn overall. She suggest Med Brown (#65) - I used it just the other day (my hair colour is lasting way longer now thanks to Pureology so I had to wait until I was ready to recolour). I love the way it turned out - I still have auburn, but it's richer brown and I think it's very complimentary to my eye colour (I have two pix posted). I will stick with LOreal as long as I get these nice results and it continues to last as long as I care for it - forget trying to figure out Garnier. I will also continue to utilize their hot line. Fab...

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No