November 21, 2014 | 1666 users online

Hair Styling Tools - GHD - IV Styler (all sizes)

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2008 8:08:00 PM More reviews by whill08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this iron, it makes fixing my hair very easy and quick. Before I bought the ghd I had a Sedu, which was okay but less than a year after I bought it it wouldn't turn on unless I held the cord at a certain angle. Needless to say, I couldn't straighten and hold the cord at the same time with much success. After the Sedu failed me I did some research on which iron was the best, and I found great reviews for the ghd. It was pretty pricey so I just kept using the Sedu for awhile. At my next hair appointment I noticed my hair styler had a ghd, something I hadn't noticed before. I asked her about it and she said she could get me one for $175, which is quite a discount from retail. My husband, being the sweety he is bought it for my Valentine's gift! Yay!
It straightens wonderfully, not too flat with just the right amount of volume. It also doesn't seem to damage my ends like other straighteners can. I hate that straw ended look that you can get with a crappy iron, I feel bad for girls with obviously straightened hair, I fell like I need to convert them! hehe. The ghd also curls, and quite well too. At first I didn't even try to curl with it, but once you practice and get the hang of it they turn out great. I would totally recommend the ghd. See if your stylist can cut you a deal and go get it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2008 5:51:00 PM More reviews by fiunit

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I absolutely adore my ghd. I had lusted after one for years then finally caved when my hairdresser informed me that she had one limited edition "dark" ghd left, and that she'd give me a discount for being a customer of hers. I paid NZ$320 for mine. They usually cost between $360 and $390. The ghd heats up really quickly and makes a cute chirp when it has heated. I've noticed a lot less damage- when I used mine or a friend's Remington, I could see the new split ends and "snappies" immediately if I looked through my hair. The ghd still does a little damage, of course, but all heat styling will do that anyway. The great thing about ghd is that their technology greatly reduces the amount of damage. My hair is quite fine so I just bought the usual stylers- those people who complained it didn't straighten their hair enough perhaps would have been better off with the one for thick hair? It was a super expensive straightener, but it comes with a two year warranty and I've never known any of my friend's ghds to break unless they themselves had caused damage to it. I look forward to years of gorgeous hair! Expensive but in my opinion, totally worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2008 4:43:00 AM More reviews by Wippy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I had finally perfected blow-drying my curly hair straight when the GHD came out. At first I thought this was a gimick, and would be just like the crappy $60 ones you can buy. After hearing so many great reviews though I decided to go for it and buy one. I got the wide plated GHD and I love it!
It heats up in 2 minutes and my hair is gorgeous and straight in about 20 minutes - no product required.
My hairdresser told me that I should have got the regular thin style so I could create waves and curls etc, but I have curly hair already! This is so much faster since you can straighten more hair at once. I think it would take me more like 30 minutes with the thin one.

Anyway, if you are planning on getting a flat iron, just get this and forget the rest. You won't be sorry and they last and last and last. 3 years on and mine is still good as new.

My only problem is with my hair that will go curly in the damp night air or the rain but that is another story!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2008 10:49:00 PM More reviews by karameruca

after debating between this and the Chi based on reviews on MUA, I caved at Sephora when the SA told be that it had a built in shut off after 30 minutes. lol I have a tendency to forget to turn off my iron at 5 in the morning!
Pros: super fast heat up, automatic heat according to hair type, smooth plates
Cons: the almost prohibitive price!
After spending $350CAD on this, I'm very much hoping this will last a LONG time!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2008 9:31:00 PM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

though it heats up quickly, and gets my hair straight...i feel it doesnt make my hair as shiny as my sedu or even my remington shine therapy...made it look more dry...and overtime, the damage was pretty obvious...back to my old loves!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2008 12:14:00 PM More reviews by tborukhova

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have super thin, super frizzy/wavy/curly/partially straight hair. It defies the laws of logic and gravity. I'm talking Jew curls in the back, Ginger Kid frizz on the sides, straightness on top and ends which should not be spoken about in public because their appearance is that offensive. Naturally my hair is an odd shade of dark blond (thanks, shitty genes from the Russian heritage) so I compulsively dye it red/strawberry blonde to match my complexion and eyes. Said practice is obvi not conducive to healthy hair. Ah, the price we pay for beauty.

When I was young I did not know that a blowdryer can make your hair straight (ish), so I had hideous hair until mid-high school. Later on I discovered the straightener, but never got around to buying one until after college. None of them were quite good enough.

I've tried crappy pharmacy straighteners (needless to say, they are subpar), the CHI (biggest waste EVER), the T3 (ditto), and a slew of others. The results were tepid--either the plates weren't smooth or hot or cold enough or my hair just stayed frizzy or it got fried or all of the above... I had minor success with the Cortex (which I only bought because it was thin and baby blue, kind of precious), but it would rip my hair out by trapping it in the corners of the plates, which was a HUGE pain in the ass, so I was out on the hunt for THE BEST IRON.

I read reviews all over the place, which claimed that Paul Mitchell, FHI, HAI, Sedu, Solia blah blah blah were the best (for some reason there was no mention of GHD--perhaps a marketing ploy?), but looking at the irons I could kind of tell that they sucked--the plates didn't close well enough, or they weren't smooth enough, or they seemed too industrial looking for home use. In mid-summer this year my best friend bought the GHD, claiming that it's a huge hit in England/Ireland. We tried it and fell in love with it. Unfortunately for me, the near-$300 price tag (MK-IV pink iron is a little pricier because of the cute packaging) was pretty much a no-go. I had to wait quite a few months before procuring my own as a gift.

Anyway, although IMO this is the best straightening iron around, I do have a few qualms about it.
1. Hair still gets stuck between the plates, but the carnage is minor.
2. I still have iron crimp lines, though they're not as prevalent as with other irons.
3. While my hair is indeed straighter/smoother/less frizzy, parts of it still cannot be fully tamed, or tamed permanently. Walking outside in drizzle and having my hair survive? Forget about it.
4. Flips? Curls? Are you effing kidding me? Maybe I need to buy all of GHD's styling products or watch 4000 YouTube videos as the other reviewers recommend, because I can only get itty bitty flips and that's about it. And I consider myself a moderate hair/beauty guru.
5. Iron is indeed VERY hot and thus it's hard/impossible to grab hair once it's been under the iron, which is a pain in the ass when you're trying to layer/texturize in an OCD fashion. I'm thinking about buying an iron mitt to fix this dilemma.

Perks:
1. Styling time slashed in half and it feels so smooth!
2. Iron heats up in like 5 seconds!
3. Straighter, softer, shinier hair by far, than other results irons
4. A hot pink iron in a precious little case with pink alligator clips?? Scooore!

In the end I think this iron is the best on the market, but it could use a few tweaks. Maybe my freakshow hair is just a bad judge of products?

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2008 1:16:00 PM More reviews by dotix

This thing is the most amazingly wonderfully awesome product I have ever purchased in my whole life (also most ridiculously expensive). I have NO regrets. My hair is naturally crazy with frizz and curls and I've tolerated it all my life! I've been called names in school, I've been through so many treatments (I haven't however, rebonded my hair... ever)... I've even reached that point where I don't want to care about it and caught myself in a lot of pain trying to fix my hair again. all I really wanted wasn't straight hair but just manageable hair. So really, to me the GHD is a godsend. I've used so many hair straighteners and I think I may have wasted more money than what the GHD actually costs so really, the price is something I'm willing to pay for. It gives me luscious curls and unbendable straight locks that look NATURAL. No crazy kinks, no weird angles... just easy glamour.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2008 12:50:00 AM More reviews by holisticzen

This is probably the best iron I've used, it does make my difficult hair, the most manageable. I do feel that is damages my hair quite a bit, and the outside of the iron can get hot. I alternate between this and my paul brown. I tend to use the paul brown more, because it has adjustable hear settings, so I'm able to spare my hair by using a low setting, when I'm not doing anything special or planning to be in humid weather. GHD does curl and flip really well! It reduces frizz the best, but I still think Paul Brown is really comparable.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2008 9:57:00 AM More reviews by lilamyg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

**This review is also in another catagory**

Ok so I pretty much have the same story as everyone else. I was skeptical paying so much for a flat iron but after using this I consider this is probably the best investment in beauty I've made in a LONG time! Considering that I have gone thru THREE Chi's in the past 2 years I the price didn't really bother me so much since collectively I've spent more $$ on the Chi's. My hair is naturally VERY CURLY and VERY THICK. It's also been bleached, dyed, processed, foiled, and just beaten up over the past 6 months. Got to the point of my hair falling out and breaking if I even tried to brush it. A few days ago I got my hair foiled(my stylist almost didn't even do my hair cause it's so damaged). Anyways, along with some B&B Creme de Coco and a few days of no heat styling I decided I could straighten it again.
I NEVER knew what I was missing til I tried this product! I now realize what a POS my Chi was. Another reviewer commented that this makes your hair look NATURALLY straight!! Not that "my hair is curly but I fry it everyday with a flat iron" look. It's AMAZING! My hair LOOKS and FEELS healthy! And it has natural bounce and volume to it. Most straightens just make your hair look flat and dried out but this truely does seal moisture in. And I woke up this morning and my hair is still PERFECT! I could not recommend this product any higher, it's truely amazing. Makes me wish I had this in highschool when my hair was a big frizzball!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2008 5:53:00 PM More reviews by cosmokid

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've got a good friend who is a hair stylist and she's been trying to convince me to buy some GHDs for years. But I just couldn't see how they could be worth NZ$350. Every time she used them on my hair it looked amazing, but I always put that down to her skill. So, I tried to use them myself and was convinced within minutes to get some for myself and dump my Remingtons (which I thought did a great job until then).
They're incredibly light, which makes them really easy to use. They heat up within seconds and retain the heat so I don't have to go over the same piece of hair more than once. And, a big plus, the results last. My hair stays stick straight and frizz free for 3 days.
They're also fun to experiment with. I've been curling my hair with it lately, to get soft Angelina Jolie type waves. I take a section and turn the irons till they're at a 180 degree angle, and then run down the hair (I twirl the hair in my fingers after this to help keep the wave as it curls). There are a few videos on YouTube that shouw you how to do this. It's so easy!
For the money I would expect it to at least come with a heat proof mat or pouch.
If you're in the southern hemisphere, there is a cheaper way to get these. Buy them on HQhair.com. It's a UK site and you get the VAT discounted (which is 17.5%) if you live outside the EU. I saved $100 on the NZ price! Plus, they gave me a free heat mat.