January 29, 2015 | 1068 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2009 1:31:00 PM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have very coarse, thick hair, that has a tendency to be dry. I color at home, and I also blow dry and flat iron my hair daily. Recently I began having serious problems with very visible breakage and damage - so bad that my stylist commented on it. I picked up this treatment for $3.50 (single use packets) at Sally Beauty, and decided to try it, as it said it stops breakage. My hair is about a cheek-length bob so it was plenty of product for me. I used the product as directed on the package. I applied step 1 - you have to work fast as this stuff dries QUICK, blowdried with a diffuser & let it harden, then I left it on for about another 30 minutes after that. Then rinsed very thoroughly, applied step 2, left it on for about 10 minutes. After I let it air dry, I wasn't overly impressed. My hair looked okay, felt soft, but not anything spectacular. The following day after washing, conditioning, and styling - all I can say is wow! This stuff completely stopped my breakage. My hair looks 100 times better and has been much easier to deal with. It feels soft and looks healthy. I switched to an intensive moisturizing shampoo & conditioner, lowered my heat styling time & temps, and switched to a more hydrating styling product, and I believe that all of these combined with this treatment are helping restore my hair. The only negative things I can say about this product are that my hair had been colored about 5 days before I used this, and it stripped my color big time. My hair was a rich, medium auburn, and now it is a light straw brown with just a hint of red. Definitely use this *before* you color! Also, step 1 is messy, runny, and sticky. If it lands on your skin, it turns into rubber cement. Oh, and it stinks to high heaven. However, the results are worth it. I will definitely repurchase, and plan on using this treatment every 4-6 weeks to repair damage.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2009 8:02:00 AM More reviews by Scarlett0722

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This treatment was suggested to me by an SA at Sally's and then I checked it out on here before buying. I read all the reviews and KatDan's notepad before applying this treatment. My hair is very long - several inches past my bra strap in back, and heavily highlighted with bleach, naturally wavy and fine. My hair tangles so much that I would probably shave my head if it wasn't for conditioner to give it slip. Also, I think I shed way too much (I keep looking for bald spots) and has lots of breakage & split ends. Back to the product - It's true, as the other reviewers say - it smells like cat piss with dead old lady smell. The smell does dissipate a bit when your hair has dried. I first washed my hair with Ion Moisturizing shampoo (also from Sally's) then while still in my towel (I didn't want to ruin any clothes and it seemed easiest) I applied the protein to my very long hair by parting my hair in the middle and pulling it forward like pigtails. My hair is very fine & tangly, so I was unable to comb the protein thru my hair altho' i had combed my hair previous to applying it. I had my hairdryer already plugged in & spent 20-30 minutes blowdrying it. Then I let it sit on for another 30 minutes just to make sure it was completely dry & hardened. When it hardens it feels like you've put an excess of like curl defining spray/gel (you know that crunchy hair feel). I didn't play with my hair, just gently touched it to check that it was hardening. After the hour, I rinsed it out for 10 minutes applied the moisturizer it comes with (in the small single dose packet), waited 2 more minutes, rinsed and applied Marc Anthony Damage Treatment masque for 3-5 minutes. I was too tired at this point to do a super deep conditioner as other have recommended. I found my hair to be super soft & shiny for the 2-3 days proceeding the treatment. Now, a week later, my hair seems in better condition, I see fewer split ends and breakage. I think the shedding (I shed like a cat) has calmed down also, but not completely sure. I haven't been paying much attention as I have the flu. Albeit that most find this a HG product, I am not sure yet if I would give it a 5, but it's a 4 now for me. Also, it's a 4 because it is a long and tedious process to apply this product. I wish it was quicker & simpler.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2008 8:28:00 PM More reviews by lbkgstar

So i first tried this product about a week ago and i was'nt to impressed. It did'nt make my hair feel that much different. But after a few days wow! Hardly any of my hair was falling out. I will definatly be using this again. Worth every penny =]

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2008 12:53:00 AM More reviews by marticica888

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is really good. It does make my hair alot more alive. However, i dont like the method that you have to use it, with heat and all, since i dont have a dryer that you have to sit under but a handheld and its really annoying to have to dry your hair by hand and make sure that the hair doesnt move. better than some products ive tried, but im still looking for something which is not as much a hassle as this. but if all else fails, i will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2008 1:31:00 PM More reviews by harleydiva08

I love ALL of Aphogee's Product and just recently found them due to a wonderful youtube user. My hair is usually thin and limp from over exurtion of heat on my hair along with split ends....now I notice little or no hair shedding from my comb in the morning and the ends of my hair are stronger:-) I tell everyone that I know about this product. Also fyi I turned my leavin conditioner in a bottle to a spray bottle along with the protien treatment allowed better results with product going straight to hair instead of in my hands...especially the yucky sticky cant live with out it protien treatment :-) Good luck all that wish to experience such a wonderful product!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2008 8:17:00 AM More reviews by maebusch

First off, I have long (1/2 way down my back long) hair. I've always kept my hair in tip top condition despite having 1/4 length highlights in it. However, in the past 6 months I decided to go bright blonde with 3/4 head highlights and after one particularly bad time at the hairdressers (student left bleach on my hair far too long) my once lovely hair was dry, knotty and breaking whenever I touched it. Every time I washed or brushed it so much hair would break off and I was terrified I was going bald!

So I tried Kerastase Forcintense, Biolustre but they didn't really have any effect after a couple of washes. I'm in England too so all these products cost so much more than in the US. Anyway, I'd finally come round to the fact that I might have to get my hair lopped off and was feeling really low when I came across MUA and read about Apogee Two-Step. As look would have it I found it in an Afro-Carribean hair shop 5 minutes from where I live too!

Okay, so it's a pain to apply/dry but alot easier than Biolustre - I also used about a 1/3 amount of what I used with Biolustre. And the result? My hair feels thicker and stronger and when I wash/dry or brush there is minimal breakage. It looks a whole lot better too. I'm still going to have a 2-3 inches cut off the ends but I think Apogee has saved my hair. I would recommend it to anyone with damaged hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2008 1:55:00 AM More reviews by Redhairedbombshell

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I really love the hair board girls, and I really love Katdan for telling me of this wonderful product.

My hair, has been breaking like there is NO tomorrow. My hair was dry. My hair was icky. And I've been on a kick lately to get amazing incredible hair.

Well. Tonight, I used my protien treatment (this aphogee), and at first was not impressed.

Then I used step 2. Again,. Not impressed.

Let my hair air dry...
and I'M IMPRESSED!!!

My hair is soft, my hair is not breaking when I run my fingers through it and best of all its not frizzy!!!!

Yes, I have some serious split ends, but it's OK, I'm getting those chopped off tomorrow but really...my hair FEELS healthier. I did not use a really deep moisturizer because I didn't think I needed to after using the humectant for 2 minutes like the bottle told me to, but I may wind up doing that because many people appear quite adament about that, and usually when the majority speaks ...

they are right!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2008 9:23:00 PM More reviews by eimcrm46

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used this product for the first time today and I think it is amazing. I don't like the smell but who cares if this make your hair strong and healthy again. My hair is bleach and I colored (blonde) every three weeks. It was freezy and very fragile. I just left it a couple of hours and then rinsed, using Redken Butter treatment and the aphogee moisture conditioner at the same time. I think next time I will have to leave the conditioners more time because my hair feels healthier but it is a little hard. I will still use this product. IT IS A GREAT PRODUCT. I'm very satisfied and I recommended this to everyone who have damaged hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2008 4:33:00 PM More reviews by Morganna777

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

OH I am glad they added this product because I knew about this one for a few years, its the best conditioner for damaged hair and can strengthen even badly bleached hair that is just about to break off.
I Alternate this with Loreal Hair fixer, these 2 cannot be beat!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2008 1:03:00 PM More reviews by nicholyse

Well, let me describe my hair : Very curly and dry, not relaxed for 1.5 years but still have about 4-5 inches past the shoulders that are relaxed (and very damaged) only color now when I need to.

I used this for the first time a few weeks ago and thought I would see what happened after the first few nights just to be sure. I concur with the other users that this is definitely the "Mother" of all treatments... I've tired most everything to help my hopeless hair. But this was amazing. I did do the treatment as described in Katdan's notepad, but I did start to have some breakage a few days later up until now. I definitely don't think it's a miracle product but by ALL MEANS, it has definitely helped my hair more than anything else, so if you have severely damaged hair, don't hesitate to try this.

The only thing I did differently was I let air dry for a couple of hours and then rinsed, using a hair mayonnaise treatment for a conditioner after. I think where I went wrong was not letting the solution come completely out of my hair... next time I'm going to rinse for about 7 minutes to make sure I get all the protein out. Because of that last time, it left my hair VERY SOFT, but slightly gummy. I will still use this product and find the best way to use it. I would recommend this to anyone with damaged hair.