Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.5

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

on 6/13/2009 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I bought the sample pack which comes with 2 steps to see if would it work as great as ive heard. WOW! im now sad i recently cut my dead ends off this product is so good it probably would have mended them a bit? My hair is shoulder length dyed bleached and was destroyed! I use to keep my hair very long but i just couldnt do it anymore because I had so much breakage and split ends everytime i tried to grow it i would be sad to see more dead ends and and more breakage! Right after i used this product my hair felt different it felt like my pre bleached hair use to feel also for the first time in a long time i was able to let my hair airdry and it actuallty look very nice when it dryed I had not been able to airdry my hair since i dont even know when because it would look frizzy and very dry.I will buy this forever I think i may actually be able to grow my hair long again thanks to this product! Give this a try if you think there is no hope for your hair! Before you chop your hair off try this first!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

i have been using this for yrs and this is THE product that seriously transformed my hair...back in high school, i use to dye my hair constantly...even bleaching my virgin black hair to an orangey blonde...my hair was so dry, porous and broom like....ive read tons abt aphogee and have been doing it before coloring or when i feel my hair needs it....my hair actually is soft, has some shine and can handle bleach jobs without all my hair falling off......i also use this with heat and always follow up with a deep cond (regis oo or terax crema)....this will be a forever re-buy!!!!!

on 5/19/2009 1:38:00 PM

What it is: From the Aphogee website:
"This unique treatment is formulated with magnesium and modified proteins which fuse into the hair with the application of heat. The result is that breakage is drastically reduced. ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is a salon service product unlike any product available for at-home use. During the process, ApHogee treatment hardens into the hair, dramatic evidence that something special is occurring. For best results a hooded dryer is required. After rinsing and moisturizing with ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer, clients are astounded with the results. ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment can help improve other salon services as well. This remedial process is highly recommended for hair that:
Is too weak or fine to take a perm or relaxer. (use the week PRIOR to service)
Is over-bleached.
Will not hold color. (use PRIOR to color application)
Breaks when combed or brushed.
Is mushy when wet and brittle after drying."

Why I love it:
I bought this product at the behest of the makeupalley.com hair board after pleading with them for a miracle product to fix my sticky, porous, brittle hair, a product of overuse of evil Sun-In while at the beach and daily heat-styling. My hair was damaged from the tips to four inches below the roots-- I would have had to have a bowl-cut if I wanted to cut out all the damage to prevent it from spreading further! There was no way I would allow this to happen.

Enter Aphogee. After shampooing my hair with Aphogee's Shampoo for Damaged Hair, I shook up the Aphogee Two-Step Reconstructor and generously applied the yellow, watery product with my hands. I used a wide-tooth comb to distribute it evenly through-out my hair, making sure the extra-damaged areas were thoroughly soaked. When my hair was combed into a position where I felt comfortable with it stay that way, I turned on my hair dryer with the setting on hot, but the fan on low. You do not want your hair to move at all once it starts becoming hard, as it may break more (although slight movements didn't seem to harm my hair). The heat from the hairdryer bakes the protein into the damaged areas of the strands. Once the hair can't get any harder (generally after an hour or two), rinse it out in the shower, and apply a very thick, deep conditioner. Leave in the deep conditioner for 5-15 mnutes with a towel wrapped around your head. Use the wide-tooth comb when you're rinsing it out to detangle it. Let your hair air-dry; don't heat-style afterwards-- give your poor, damaged hair a break-- and wait to see the miraculous change in your hair!

My hair was almost completely repaired! There is such an incredible difference in my hair that I can barely tell it was ever damaged. Its a little rough in the places that were incredibly damaged, but there was a 90% improvement in my hair. I'll continue using the product monthly until the damage has grown out enough to be cut off. I'd highly recommend this product to ANYONE with brittle or sticky hair that is prone to breakage. It brought my hair from the brink of disaster!

Where to buy it (and how much):
Sally's Beauty Supply or any other hair supply store for $19.99 for 16 oz bottle or about $5.99 for a 4 oz bottle.

on 3/9/2009 10:30:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I have african american 4a/b relaxed hair. Very fine.

I bought a sample of this from a black beauty supply for $3.50. Its a joined pack of both the protein and balancing moisturizer with a perforated line between the two

Week after my relaxer. I washed with Keracare Hydrating detangling then poured the protein in my hair paying special attn to the damaged ends, but applying from root to tip and combing through with Jilbere shower comb.

Be sure to SHAKE THE BOTTLE of protein first! If you have the sample packet, agitate it, squish it around before you open it. The elements divide and you'll just get dark brown liquid, whatevers on top if you dont shake first. Shake it should be light brown, runny, and smell like a dead body. Dont worry about the smell. It wears off to something totally innocuous by the time you are done styling.

DO NOT PUT ON A PLASTIC CAP.

Also refrain from twisting your hair into a bun b/c the the ends take forever to dry. Its good it you can just kind of lay the ends on top of your head so that they are exposed to the hot air.

I sat under the hooded dryer and the roots got rock hard after 20 minutes. The lengths of my hair not so much. Had to come out and hit that part with a blow dryer for it to get rock hard.

Went to the sink ran lots of warm water over it for a warm time and it instantly got soft again, soft but with a fortified feeling.

Applied the balancing moisturizer. Love this stuff. So white, so creamy, the quintessential humectant. I think you could just as easily follow with any creamy conditioner. Im gonna try it with Kerastase Masquintense, Loreal Intense Repair, Bumble super rich etc but bottom line is YOU MUST USE A MOISTURIZING CONDITIONER AFTER THIS.

Hair gets really moisturised with their balancing stuff. That stuff is really rich and smells pleasant. Leave it two minutes. Though I advocate longer if you have the time.

Great stuff for strengthening the hair. Im thinking I might use it week before relaxers to prevent hair from being broken down so much. I dont know if i can use it more often than every 4-6.

Definitintely a heavy duty protein treatment. Stronger than Keracare super reconstructor? Im not sure. Those two are probably on par with each other.

Heavier than Duo Tex. Much heavier than Joico K-Pak which is probably a decent moisturizing conditioner for weekly use.

Im gonna make it part of my regular routine. You can moisturize all you want but only protein prevents breakage and thereby helps you maintain lenght. This is what ive come to realize.

Try this. You wont be disappointed.

on 2/12/2009 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have very coarse, thick hair, that has a tendency to be dry. I color at home, and I also blow dry and flat iron my hair daily. Recently I began having serious problems with very visible breakage and damage - so bad that my stylist commented on it. I picked up this treatment for $3.50 (single use packets) at Sally Beauty, and decided to try it, as it said it stops breakage. My hair is about a cheek-length bob so it was plenty of product for me. I used the product as directed on the package. I applied step 1 - you have to work fast as this stuff dries QUICK, blowdried with a diffuser & let it harden, then I left it on for about another 30 minutes after that. Then rinsed very thoroughly, applied step 2, left it on for about 10 minutes. After I let it air dry, I wasn't overly impressed. My hair looked okay, felt soft, but not anything spectacular. The following day after washing, conditioning, and styling - all I can say is wow! This stuff completely stopped my breakage. My hair looks 100 times better and has been much easier to deal with. It feels soft and looks healthy. I switched to an intensive moisturizing shampoo & conditioner, lowered my heat styling time & temps, and switched to a more hydrating styling product, and I believe that all of these combined with this treatment are helping restore my hair. The only negative things I can say about this product are that my hair had been colored about 5 days before I used this, and it stripped my color big time. My hair was a rich, medium auburn, and now it is a light straw brown with just a hint of red. Definitely use this *before* you color! Also, step 1 is messy, runny, and sticky. If it lands on your skin, it turns into rubber cement. Oh, and it stinks to high heaven. However, the results are worth it. I will definitely repurchase, and plan on using this treatment every 4-6 weeks to repair damage.

on 1/21/2009 8:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This treatment was suggested to me by an SA at Sally's and then I checked it out on here before buying. I read all the reviews and KatDan's notepad before applying this treatment. My hair is very long - several inches past my bra strap in back, and heavily highlighted with bleach, naturally wavy and fine. My hair tangles so much that I would probably shave my head if it wasn't for conditioner to give it slip. Also, I think I shed way too much (I keep looking for bald spots) and has lots of breakage & split ends. Back to the product - It's true, as the other reviewers say - it smells like cat piss with dead old lady smell. The smell does dissipate a bit when your hair has dried. I first washed my hair with Ion Moisturizing shampoo (also from Sally's) then while still in my towel (I didn't want to ruin any clothes and it seemed easiest) I applied the protein to my very long hair by parting my hair in the middle and pulling it forward like pigtails. My hair is very fine & tangly, so I was unable to comb the protein thru my hair altho' i had combed my hair previous to applying it. I had my hairdryer already plugged in & spent 20-30 minutes blowdrying it. Then I let it sit on for another 30 minutes just to make sure it was completely dry & hardened. When it hardens it feels like you've put an excess of like curl defining spray/gel (you know that crunchy hair feel). I didn't play with my hair, just gently touched it to check that it was hardening. After the hour, I rinsed it out for 10 minutes applied the moisturizer it comes with (in the small single dose packet), waited 2 more minutes, rinsed and applied Marc Anthony Damage Treatment masque for 3-5 minutes. I was too tired at this point to do a super deep conditioner as other have recommended. I found my hair to be super soft & shiny for the 2-3 days proceeding the treatment. Now, a week later, my hair seems in better condition, I see fewer split ends and breakage. I think the shedding (I shed like a cat) has calmed down also, but not completely sure. I haven't been paying much attention as I have the flu. Albeit that most find this a HG product, I am not sure yet if I would give it a 5, but it's a 4 now for me. Also, it's a 4 because it is a long and tedious process to apply this product. I wish it was quicker & simpler.

on 12/10/2008 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

So i first tried this product about a week ago and i was'nt to impressed. It did'nt make my hair feel that much different. But after a few days wow! Hardly any of my hair was falling out. I will definatly be using this again. Worth every penny =]

on 10/28/2008 12:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is really good. It does make my hair alot more alive. However, i dont like the method that you have to use it, with heat and all, since i dont have a dryer that you have to sit under but a handheld and its really annoying to have to dry your hair by hand and make sure that the hair doesnt move. better than some products ive tried, but im still looking for something which is not as much a hassle as this. but if all else fails, i will repurchase.

on 10/14/2008 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love ALL of Aphogee's Product and just recently found them due to a wonderful youtube user. My hair is usually thin and limp from over exurtion of heat on my hair along with split ends....now I notice little or no hair shedding from my comb in the morning and the ends of my hair are stronger:-) I tell everyone that I know about this product. Also fyi I turned my leavin conditioner in a bottle to a spray bottle along with the protien treatment allowed better results with product going straight to hair instead of in my hands...especially the yucky sticky cant live with out it protien treatment :-) Good luck all that wish to experience such a wonderful product!

on 10/6/2008 8:17:00 AM

First off, I have long (1/2 way down my back long) hair. I've always kept my hair in tip top condition despite having 1/4 length highlights in it. However, in the past 6 months I decided to go bright blonde with 3/4 head highlights and after one particularly bad time at the hairdressers (student left bleach on my hair far too long) my once lovely hair was dry, knotty and breaking whenever I touched it. Every time I washed or brushed it so much hair would break off and I was terrified I was going bald!

So I tried Kerastase Forcintense, Biolustre but they didn't really have any effect after a couple of washes. I'm in England too so all these products cost so much more than in the US. Anyway, I'd finally come round to the fact that I might have to get my hair lopped off and was feeling really low when I came across MUA and read about Apogee Two-Step. As look would have it I found it in an Afro-Carribean hair shop 5 minutes from where I live too!

Okay, so it's a pain to apply/dry but alot easier than Biolustre - I also used about a 1/3 amount of what I used with Biolustre. And the result? My hair feels thicker and stronger and when I wash/dry or brush there is minimal breakage. It looks a whole lot better too. I'm still going to have a 2-3 inches cut off the ends but I think Apogee has saved my hair. I would recommend it to anyone with damaged hair.