Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.5

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

on 11/23/2009 8:08:00 AM

I am a hairstylist w/ over 20 yrs experience. I have never been more dissatisfied with a product than this. It did absolutely nothing to my hair. I have to say I don't understand what all the hoopla is about!

on 11/16/2009 10:57:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Wow! Honestly, this product lives up to it's great reviews. I color my hair frequently (red) and like to wear it long. I don't trim often enough so the ends are crispy and sometimes split. I used this product this morning and I'm amazed. I applied it as directed and I sat under the dome dryer for a half hour. I used the conditioner and then dried my hair. Amazing results! No more crispy ends! I will defnitely be using this regularly a day or two before I color my hair.

The only negative is the odor. It's pretty shocking. The reviewer who described it as sewer is accurate. The smell does get better as the product dries. The results are so great that I'll put up with the putrid smell though.

Edit: This is still fantastic in my opinion. It keeps my over-processed hair from breaking.

on 11/14/2009 4:15:00 PM

Wow. Just, wow.

My hair has been through hell in the last week. I used a color remover in a misguided effort to return to my natural color.. only to discover uneven red ends and dark brown roots. I then bleached it several times (with varying degrees of developer strength). Yes, it was very stupid idea considering I have mid back length hair that I've had for over five years with no intention of cutting it anytime soon, that has generally responded fairly well to chemical and heat treatments.

The night before last I was so disgusted with my hair and what I had done to it I could barely sleep.. so I went to Sally's at 9 am sharp prepared to buy some intensive hair reconstruction products... I came across a shelf full of Aphogee products and had recalled several readers singing its' praises... so I took a chance on the treatment (which consists of the pre-wash, the protein treatment and the re-conditioning post-treatment). I wasn't expecting much, simply because my hair literally appeared to be beyond repair (so bad that I had made an appointment with my hairdresser for next week as it was breaking off in my brush).

Sure it was stinky but it fixed my hair. The true test came today when I straightened it... and it came out just as beautiful as it previously did, if not moreso.. smooth and shiny, and the breakage has stopped.

A lot of hair professionals would probably have said my hair was beyond repair, but I wonder if they know about this little miracle. It really was my saving grace... it saved me from having to cut off a foot of hair. I will never be so reckless with my hair again ever (we all have to learn that lesson sooner or later I suppose), but I am endlessly grateful for this product.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is one of my staples. It's great for color treated, damaged, curly, any type of hair really. It works to strengthen my hair much better than silicones! Every month I use this to keep my hair strong, after using it my curls are so much bouncier and shinier. Keep in mind you'll most likely need a MOISTURIZING treatment after this, a regular conditioner will do fine. Protein on its own, which is what this product is basically, strengthens hair but can also make it feel a little rough and brittle. Yes this product sticks, but the payoff is worth it lol...you have to wait until the product dries in your hair, and your hair will become very hard so you must not manipulate it and be gentle. I bought a smaller 4 oz. bottle of this several months ago and still have most of it left...it was around $5 so is MUCH more than worth it! :)

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

The Aphogee Two-Step Treatment is one of those rare, very rare, products which deserves all the hype it receives for it does works, but it smells like a sewer and it literally is one of the most unpleasant smells I have had the displeasure to endure. The smell literally made me sick to my stomach and I am not easily grossed out by malodorous, rank smells but this product brought me to my knees so I could pay tribute to porcelain goddess -- it smelled that bad. However, this product did strengthen the hair and it stop my hair from shedding after the first treatment. I would highly recommend putting this product in a spray bottle when applying it to the hair since you only get a couple of minutes to work the product in prior to your hair getting hard. Here are the directions from the bottle on how to use this product.

SHAKE WELL BEFORE USE!!!
1. Gently cleanse hair with ApHogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair. Rinse thoroughly and towel blot dry.
2. Apply enough ApHogee Treatment to thoroughly saturate hair and comb blend through with wide toothed comb for even distribution.
3. Leave hair uncovered. DO NOT use with a plastic cap. (NOTE: When ApHogee Treatment is dried into the hair, the hair becomes extremely hard. DO NOT comb or brush hair while ApHogee Treatment is dried and in the hair).
4. Re-wet and gently rinse thoroughly with warm water. Remove all excess dried protein. Towel dry.
5. Apply ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer to hair and scalp. Leave on for 2 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
6. Proceed to next service or style as usual.

This is one of those rare products that does EXACTLY what it is advertised to do and I did use it a few times but because of the smell, I personally can not use this miracle product anymore. I now use Nexxus Emergencee Strengthening Polymeric Reconstructor which works just as well but it costs more and smells substantially better, and IMO paying more for less product is a good deal in this case.

on 7/18/2009 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

After reading the other reviews more thoroughly I realize now I didn't leave step one on nearly long enough -- I basically only blew it dry for like 20 minutes and jumped right in the shower. Despite that, I can still notice a huge difference in my hair. I have a lot of breakage from lightening my hair for years and my hair already looks and feels stronger and the breakage is less noticeable and hopefully stopped. Next month I'll try it again and leave it in much longer. Everyone is right about the smell, god it's awful, but this stuff really does work. Got it on sale at Sally's for $2.99, not bad!

I bought the single-use package to try out after reading the great reviews here and on the Hair Board. My hair is not particularly damaged, but I do color it and use heat styling, so it can be dry and I get a few split ends.

The Step 1 packet is so horribly smelly when you apply it, but it subsides a bit as it dries. I applied the Step 1 packet after shampooing and used a blow dryer on it for about 10 minutes. My hair became very hard, like cement, just like the packet and reviews said it would. I left the Step 1 on for about 30 minutes after blow drying.

After 30 minutes, I went into the shower and just let the water loosen my hair and rinse out the product. I did not touch it until I could feel that most of the product was out. I continued to rinse for another 5 minutes or so, then applied the Step 2 Conditioning packet. I left that on for about 30 minutes and rinsed. Styled my hair like usual.

I did not really see any improvement in my hair, but the smell was overwhelming! Like a little old lady fresh out of the hairdresser. I could barely sleep - the smell was so bad. I wanted to wait a couple of days before I washed my hair again, but the smell won out and I washed it again today. There is still a faint aroma, but it is much better. I even had to wash my pillowcase because it smelled like the product.

I do not really see any difference in my hair. Maybe it is because it is not very damaged. I won't be buying this product again.

on 6/13/2009 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I bought the sample pack which comes with 2 steps to see if would it work as great as ive heard. WOW! im now sad i recently cut my dead ends off this product is so good it probably would have mended them a bit? My hair is shoulder length dyed bleached and was destroyed! I use to keep my hair very long but i just couldnt do it anymore because I had so much breakage and split ends everytime i tried to grow it i would be sad to see more dead ends and and more breakage! Right after i used this product my hair felt different it felt like my pre bleached hair use to feel also for the first time in a long time i was able to let my hair airdry and it actuallty look very nice when it dryed I had not been able to airdry my hair since i dont even know when because it would look frizzy and very dry.I will buy this forever I think i may actually be able to grow my hair long again thanks to this product! Give this a try if you think there is no hope for your hair! Before you chop your hair off try this first!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

i have been using this for yrs and this is THE product that seriously transformed my hair...back in high school, i use to dye my hair constantly...even bleaching my virgin black hair to an orangey blonde...my hair was so dry, porous and broom like....ive read tons abt aphogee and have been doing it before coloring or when i feel my hair needs it....my hair actually is soft, has some shine and can handle bleach jobs without all my hair falling off......i also use this with heat and always follow up with a deep cond (regis oo or terax crema)....this will be a forever re-buy!!!!!

on 5/19/2009 1:38:00 PM

What it is: From the Aphogee website:
"This unique treatment is formulated with magnesium and modified proteins which fuse into the hair with the application of heat. The result is that breakage is drastically reduced. ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is a salon service product unlike any product available for at-home use. During the process, ApHogee treatment hardens into the hair, dramatic evidence that something special is occurring. For best results a hooded dryer is required. After rinsing and moisturizing with ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer, clients are astounded with the results. ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment can help improve other salon services as well. This remedial process is highly recommended for hair that:
Is too weak or fine to take a perm or relaxer. (use the week PRIOR to service)
Is over-bleached.
Will not hold color. (use PRIOR to color application)
Breaks when combed or brushed.
Is mushy when wet and brittle after drying."

Why I love it:
I bought this product at the behest of the makeupalley.com hair board after pleading with them for a miracle product to fix my sticky, porous, brittle hair, a product of overuse of evil Sun-In while at the beach and daily heat-styling. My hair was damaged from the tips to four inches below the roots-- I would have had to have a bowl-cut if I wanted to cut out all the damage to prevent it from spreading further! There was no way I would allow this to happen.

Enter Aphogee. After shampooing my hair with Aphogee's Shampoo for Damaged Hair, I shook up the Aphogee Two-Step Reconstructor and generously applied the yellow, watery product with my hands. I used a wide-tooth comb to distribute it evenly through-out my hair, making sure the extra-damaged areas were thoroughly soaked. When my hair was combed into a position where I felt comfortable with it stay that way, I turned on my hair dryer with the setting on hot, but the fan on low. You do not want your hair to move at all once it starts becoming hard, as it may break more (although slight movements didn't seem to harm my hair). The heat from the hairdryer bakes the protein into the damaged areas of the strands. Once the hair can't get any harder (generally after an hour or two), rinse it out in the shower, and apply a very thick, deep conditioner. Leave in the deep conditioner for 5-15 mnutes with a towel wrapped around your head. Use the wide-tooth comb when you're rinsing it out to detangle it. Let your hair air-dry; don't heat-style afterwards-- give your poor, damaged hair a break-- and wait to see the miraculous change in your hair!

My hair was almost completely repaired! There is such an incredible difference in my hair that I can barely tell it was ever damaged. Its a little rough in the places that were incredibly damaged, but there was a 90% improvement in my hair. I'll continue using the product monthly until the damage has grown out enough to be cut off. I'd highly recommend this product to ANYONE with brittle or sticky hair that is prone to breakage. It brought my hair from the brink of disaster!

Where to buy it (and how much):
Sally's Beauty Supply or any other hair supply store for $19.99 for 16 oz bottle or about $5.99 for a 4 oz bottle.