Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.5

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

on 12/23/2009 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is the best thing that had ever happened to my hair. I don't live in the US and I heard about it here at MUA... then, in a trip to NY a month ago, I found it at a Beauty Supply and bought the 2 bottles, the white (the reconstructor itself) and the pink one (the balancing conditioner).
My hair is straigh and really damaged by color treating (I'm trying to dye it red and boy, it is harsh on the hair). My hair also suffered a little more from the stuff I'm using to strip off the old dyes (it doesn't contain ammonia but it's damaging anyway). So it was a real mess, full of frizz and breaking like crazy. After using Age Recharge and other high-end protein treatment with poor results, I was disappointed.
Well, I used it for the first time and WOW... I was amazed... my hair started to shine all over again... and it was very strong... but anyway, some products work wonderfully at first and then stop doing anything, so I was waiting a little to write a review.
Last week, 1 day before dying my hair with a REALLY strong dye (Matrix SoRed, I don't know if it's available at the US), I used Aphogee again (5 weeks after the first). Well, what can I say? My hair is BEAUTIFUL! The dye made my hair (almost) red, but it didn't damage A BIT! Now, one week later, and after washing everyday to fade the color a little, my hair is still wonderful.
So, I'll try to use as sparingly as possible, because I didn't dinf any site that delivers Aphogee in Brazil, and I don't know how I'll live without it!
But beware: when people say it stinks, it DOES STINK LIKE HELL. And it makes your hair hard like STRAW when it dries... and I also think it should come with a spray, it would make application easier. But anyway, it's still the best product I've ever used when it comes to the results!

on 12/4/2009 1:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I used this product on my hair that was recently color stripped, bleached, dyed three times all in one week. I used the Ion protein treatment from Sally's between processes but it did not work close to how well this worked. I used it before my last dye job and my hair, as you can imagine, was super fried and this completely saved it. I mean if you did that much stuff to your hair like me, even after this treatment it would feel like nothing happened, but my hair was less brittle, stronger, and smoother. Right now it doesn't break and I can comb through it. I used my regular shampoo instead of the Aphogee brand one that the directions indicated, and I bought this two step treatment in the two packets form instead of the big bottle. I used a hand dryer to dry the treatment in until I was absolutely sure that it was ALL dried in, which took a long time. It felt like about half an hour and then I rinsed it out in the shower and WOW, my hair which is naturally pretty strong and thick, but damaged by all these processes was back to its original thickness. It was soft and when I grabbed it in a pony tail, it was a thick mass of hair again. The conditioner made it soft, which is nice because the protein makes it a little rough, as all protein stuff does. I followed up with my regular conditioner and my felt so nice. I am definitely going to use this in six weeks as directed and not more often than that because if you do protein too often it will make your hair more brittle. Also, this stuff washed out easier than I thought it would.

on 11/28/2009 5:30:00 PM

It's amazing what a breakup will do to us girls...in my case, it caused me to dye my platinum blonde hair black and get a cut that made me look like Mr. Spock. A few months, a move 8,000 miles away, and a quarter-life crisis later, and I was still a little shaky, but ready to make my hair blonde again. Which I did a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, bleaching my already-damaged black-via-platinum hair blonde AGAIN caused it become a sort of gummy, weird, stretchy mess on top of a burned scalp. Bad times. I was pretty sure I was going to have to cut it all off, but having got the Mr. Spock 'do to a point where it looked almost normal, I really didn't want to do that.

I followed the instructions on the Aphogee 2-step pack that they sell at Sally's (including the treatment and a pH neutralizing conditioner) and, while my hair doesn't feel fabulous and glossy, it does feel like human hair. The treatment does stink and the conditioner doesn't smell too good either, but it's worth it. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to repeat this process every six weeks until the damaged parts grow enough to be cut off, but at least this will let me grow it out, which is a minor miracle. Now that I've got my blonde back, hopefully my sanity will follow...

on 11/23/2009 8:08:00 AM

I am a hairstylist w/ over 20 yrs experience. I have never been more dissatisfied with a product than this. It did absolutely nothing to my hair. I have to say I don't understand what all the hoopla is about!

on 11/16/2009 10:57:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Wow! Honestly, this product lives up to it's great reviews. I color my hair frequently (red) and like to wear it long. I don't trim often enough so the ends are crispy and sometimes split. I used this product this morning and I'm amazed. I applied it as directed and I sat under the dome dryer for a half hour. I used the conditioner and then dried my hair. Amazing results! No more crispy ends! I will defnitely be using this regularly a day or two before I color my hair.

The only negative is the odor. It's pretty shocking. The reviewer who described it as sewer is accurate. The smell does get better as the product dries. The results are so great that I'll put up with the putrid smell though.

Edit: This is still fantastic in my opinion. It keeps my over-processed hair from breaking.

on 11/14/2009 4:15:00 PM

Wow. Just, wow.

My hair has been through hell in the last week. I used a color remover in a misguided effort to return to my natural color.. only to discover uneven red ends and dark brown roots. I then bleached it several times (with varying degrees of developer strength). Yes, it was very stupid idea considering I have mid back length hair that I've had for over five years with no intention of cutting it anytime soon, that has generally responded fairly well to chemical and heat treatments.

The night before last I was so disgusted with my hair and what I had done to it I could barely sleep.. so I went to Sally's at 9 am sharp prepared to buy some intensive hair reconstruction products... I came across a shelf full of Aphogee products and had recalled several readers singing its' praises... so I took a chance on the treatment (which consists of the pre-wash, the protein treatment and the re-conditioning post-treatment). I wasn't expecting much, simply because my hair literally appeared to be beyond repair (so bad that I had made an appointment with my hairdresser for next week as it was breaking off in my brush).

Sure it was stinky but it fixed my hair. The true test came today when I straightened it... and it came out just as beautiful as it previously did, if not moreso.. smooth and shiny, and the breakage has stopped.

A lot of hair professionals would probably have said my hair was beyond repair, but I wonder if they know about this little miracle. It really was my saving grace... it saved me from having to cut off a foot of hair. I will never be so reckless with my hair again ever (we all have to learn that lesson sooner or later I suppose), but I am endlessly grateful for this product.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is one of my staples. It's great for color treated, damaged, curly, any type of hair really. It works to strengthen my hair much better than silicones! Every month I use this to keep my hair strong, after using it my curls are so much bouncier and shinier. Keep in mind you'll most likely need a MOISTURIZING treatment after this, a regular conditioner will do fine. Protein on its own, which is what this product is basically, strengthens hair but can also make it feel a little rough and brittle. Yes this product sticks, but the payoff is worth it lol...you have to wait until the product dries in your hair, and your hair will become very hard so you must not manipulate it and be gentle. I bought a smaller 4 oz. bottle of this several months ago and still have most of it left...it was around $5 so is MUCH more than worth it! :)

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

The Aphogee Two-Step Treatment is one of those rare, very rare, products which deserves all the hype it receives for it does works, but it smells like a sewer and it literally is one of the most unpleasant smells I have had the displeasure to endure. The smell literally made me sick to my stomach and I am not easily grossed out by malodorous, rank smells but this product brought me to my knees so I could pay tribute to porcelain goddess -- it smelled that bad. However, this product did strengthen the hair and it stop my hair from shedding after the first treatment. I would highly recommend putting this product in a spray bottle when applying it to the hair since you only get a couple of minutes to work the product in prior to your hair getting hard. Here are the directions from the bottle on how to use this product.

SHAKE WELL BEFORE USE!!!
1. Gently cleanse hair with ApHogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair. Rinse thoroughly and towel blot dry.
2. Apply enough ApHogee Treatment to thoroughly saturate hair and comb blend through with wide toothed comb for even distribution.
3. Leave hair uncovered. DO NOT use with a plastic cap. (NOTE: When ApHogee Treatment is dried into the hair, the hair becomes extremely hard. DO NOT comb or brush hair while ApHogee Treatment is dried and in the hair).
4. Re-wet and gently rinse thoroughly with warm water. Remove all excess dried protein. Towel dry.
5. Apply ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer to hair and scalp. Leave on for 2 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
6. Proceed to next service or style as usual.

This is one of those rare products that does EXACTLY what it is advertised to do and I did use it a few times but because of the smell, I personally can not use this miracle product anymore. I now use Nexxus Emergencee Strengthening Polymeric Reconstructor which works just as well but it costs more and smells substantially better, and IMO paying more for less product is a good deal in this case.

on 7/18/2009 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

After reading the other reviews more thoroughly I realize now I didn't leave step one on nearly long enough -- I basically only blew it dry for like 20 minutes and jumped right in the shower. Despite that, I can still notice a huge difference in my hair. I have a lot of breakage from lightening my hair for years and my hair already looks and feels stronger and the breakage is less noticeable and hopefully stopped. Next month I'll try it again and leave it in much longer. Everyone is right about the smell, god it's awful, but this stuff really does work. Got it on sale at Sally's for $2.99, not bad!

I bought the single-use package to try out after reading the great reviews here and on the Hair Board. My hair is not particularly damaged, but I do color it and use heat styling, so it can be dry and I get a few split ends.

The Step 1 packet is so horribly smelly when you apply it, but it subsides a bit as it dries. I applied the Step 1 packet after shampooing and used a blow dryer on it for about 10 minutes. My hair became very hard, like cement, just like the packet and reviews said it would. I left the Step 1 on for about 30 minutes after blow drying.

After 30 minutes, I went into the shower and just let the water loosen my hair and rinse out the product. I did not touch it until I could feel that most of the product was out. I continued to rinse for another 5 minutes or so, then applied the Step 2 Conditioning packet. I left that on for about 30 minutes and rinsed. Styled my hair like usual.

I did not really see any improvement in my hair, but the smell was overwhelming! Like a little old lady fresh out of the hairdresser. I could barely sleep - the smell was so bad. I wanted to wait a couple of days before I washed my hair again, but the smell won out and I washed it again today. There is still a faint aroma, but it is much better. I even had to wash my pillowcase because it smelled like the product.

I do not really see any difference in my hair. Maybe it is because it is not very damaged. I won't be buying this product again.