Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15

(Natural Beige, Soft Porcelain): Mica, Pearl Powder. ( /-): CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77947 (Zinc Oxide), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides). (Real Sand, Tender Rose, Rich Vanilla, Classic Beige, Pure Honey, Warm Bronze): Active Ingredient – Zinc Oxide. Ingredient: Pearl Powder. May Contain ( /-): Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I own the shade Classic Beige in this holy grail mineral foundation!

While it is too dark right now, I only need a teeny tiny bit to smooth over the bits of redness in my skin.

Now, I've tried every single department store foundation. While I have a few favorites, I keep coming back to this particular product because it looks natural and seamless. I'm only 21 and do not wear foundation unless I'm going out. Because of the pearl powder, the foundation enhances my natural luminosity and provides a healthy and radient finish, which is priceless for over-worked college students.

I've tried bare minerals in the past and had a reaction, but never with LM mineral powder. The sifter is a life-saver, too, when travelling!

My only word of caution is that those with overly oily skin should avoid this product as it will oxidize. If you still want to brave a go, perhaps go one shade down so that the eventual oxidization would even out your skin and look natural instead of orange or too dark. Likewise, those with dry skin would prefer liquid products anyway, but if you use a brush similar to the LM mineral foundation one, the powder finishes to a lovely cream. And while those like Gossmakeup artist hates the micro-exfoliation that powder application provides, it is actually beneficial to exfoliate dry skin a little bit everyday as that will reduce the patchiness and force skin regeneration and smoothness.

For everyone else, a kabuki will be easier and faster with more coverage, while a large fluffy brush is idea for those not wanting too much coverage.

Final notes are that I love this product and will hopefully love it for the very long time the powder remains (seriously, it feels like I'll work through this tub forever!). Value for money? We'll see!

on 5/12/2011 3:32:00 PM

Great great powder! As I've said in my other reviews, I love trying new products so I usually never use the entire thing, because I'm off trying something else. However, I def used all of this powder up!
I will say, I love a lot of coverage so I do use this over a little foundation sometimes, and it is amazing! However, even if you use it by itself, it's great coverage...makes you look just flawless!

I usually have a few options on hand, so I when I ran out of this, I started using my Makeup Forever powder, and I still didn't like it compared to this one. I'm just really impressed with Laura Mercier's products, and if you knew me, its a big deal for me to say that! haha

on 5/8/2011 12:56:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I was hesitant to buy this because I have never tried a mineral powder and heard they can make try patches look worse, but this was not the case with this AMAZING powder. I have combination skin, so I'm either really dry, or oily...but this powder just....melts into my skin and gives me a natural glow. I can use it alone with some concealer on days i don't need much coverage, or I use it on top of my foundation and it gives a FLAWLESS airbrushed look. Which for me is a big deal since, I deal with acne and redness. Its a bit expensive, but it is worth it.

on 5/6/2011 3:02:00 AM

I'm a big fan of Laura Mercier foundations, and after using worshiping her liquid foundations for the last few years, I was very curious to try out her mineral foundation!
Unfortunately, this did not work for my oily skin, especially given the hot, humid weather in Malaysia, the mineral foundation basically just slid off within the 1st hour under the direct heat...
This foundation has a very natural looking finish, hence it gives light-medium coverage..The first time, I was matched to Real Sand shade, which had a more yellow undertone, but the second time I went to another LM counter, they said Tender Rose (with more pink undertones) matched me well, too, which was the shade I ended picking up. I do encounter some redness on my cheeks, and regret not picking up Real Sand instead, to counteract the redness...
However, what disappoints me most is the wear time of this foundation...
Sometimes, I pair it with the LM regular primer, and it lasts just a tad longer..and I usually set this with my MAC mineralize skinfinish powder in Light-Medium, since the foundation itself is not as high coverage as I would like it to be.

on 4/27/2011 9:03:00 PM

I've been using this product for over a year now, since my beloved Prescriptives are no more. I have very pale skin and have found Tender Rose a good match to my skin tone. I like that I can build up my foundation, less during the day and more at night. Perhaps the most unexpected thing is the cost effectiveness of the product. My first pot lasted almost a year with near daily use.

on 4/26/2011 10:40:00 AM

I loved the way this looked on my skin. Nautral but medium coverage. Unfortunately after 3 days I got those nasty cystic pimples on my cheeks! Only on my cheeks, have been using the same blush that I've used for years, guess because my pores are bigger on my cheeks? Afraid to use just on the sides of my face...bound to get some on my cheeks so back to EL until I find something better. Never get break out with EL.

on 4/26/2011 9:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Okay, my first review here on MUA!
After reading so many good reviews on this product, I decided to try it out when I went to the UK, since Laura Mercier is only carried in two select stores here in Germany (a shame!)
I had high hopes for this product and almost expected to get them disappointed but no! - this is the best Mineral Powder I have tried so far.
My skin is quite fair, oily, acne-prone but sometimes with dry patches on my chin from my acne treatment.
Ususally, a foundation either is too dark for me, doesn't work on my oily skin or works on my oily skin but makes dry patches more visible.
I wear the shade Soft Porcelain and I'm amazed to say it is a pretty decent match, although a bit light for summer, with neutral undertones and it does not change colour one bit when worn!
For all you fair-skinned individuals out there: It is really pretty light and should suit even the lightest skintones!

Pros:
+ Does not look powdery, unless perhaps if you layer too much.
+ It has the fabled "glow" that is not obviously shimmery, just right
+ Provides medium coverage and can be used to spot-conceal
+ It is naturally looking and blends in with my skin
+ The staying-power is decent

Cons:
- If I build it up too much, it looks too shiny on my oily skin
- The shade selection could be improved. Now in the summer, I need to mix Soft Porcelain with a different Mineral Powder as Real Sand would be too dark.
- Price, obviously...

I apply it with a large powder brush and it works better than applying it with the F80 from Sigma, it gives a more natural result.
It can also be mixed with moisturizer to make a custom-blend tinted moisturizer.
If I can figure out how to get it here, I will certainly repurchase!

Update:
I unfortunately had to discontinue using this! I usually have my acne under control for most of the time, meaning just occasional spots here and there. After about 10 days of using this, I was breaking out everywhere, some smaller and some deeper zits and in areas where I never break out! I'm not usually fast to say: this and that breaks me out. But this is too much break-out for coinsidence.
I still LOVE the finish and I recommend it to anyone who is not break-out prone.
I have since moved on to a Mineral powder without Bismuth Oxychloride in it and I haven't had a spot since, so I suspect that ingredient.

on 4/25/2011 1:36:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I don't understand the rave reviews for this product. Where is the "glow" that others speak of? Upon application, it looks like any other powder foundation. It gives light to barely medium coverage - and that's when applied with a dense, kabuki brush. It looks powdery no matter how little I apply. I've been using this daily for a few weeks, so I've had more than enough time to experiment with it. I have very good skin to begin with and this doesn't make it look better. For a $40 powder, I expect extraordinary results and this isn't it. The Maybelline PureStay Powder Foundation gives better coverage and a natural finish for only $8.

on 4/16/2011 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have been on quest for the perfect mineral makeup for a couple of years and I have tried many different brands. I would say that the LM Mineral Powder is similar in quality to the Merle Norman mineral powder. Merle Norman is the highest quality of mineral foundation I have tried so far but I think LM is just as good. Merle Norman's mineral make-up is just slightly creamier but I think LM gives slightly better coverage. You can build up the coverage with Merle Norman but it starts to look too make-uppy then. The one thing I love about LM mineral make-up is the color selection. Pure Vanilla is a perfect match for my skin tone. This is the first mineral make-up that I haven't had to mix a couple of colors together or just put up with an uneven match. Merle Norman's mineral make-up colors are all slightly tinged pink which I hate. LM's pure vanilla is truly a golden beige color that matches my skin perfectly. The coverage is very good. I only use a little powder to achieve medium coverage. It stays on and doesn't change color as the day wears on (pur minerals turned orange on me....horrors!) and the shine is tolerable. I wasn't able to give this 5 lippies simply because I still have some of the same issues that I have with all mineral makeup. That is the shine or on better days I might call it a glow as I kind of have a love/hate relationship with mineral foundations in general. So some days that glowy look really bothers me and other days I like it. I also have a problem with the staying power of this mineral foundation but I don't really think this is the fault of the product so much as it is just my type of skin. My skin leans a little to the oily side and all mineral makeup brands seem to fade a lot on me. I probably am better suited to liquid foundations and I do wear liquid foundation when it is important to me that my makeup stay put all day long. That being said I do like the way LM mineral foundation wears and I even like the way it fades. It doesn't change color and it doesn't become splotchy, it just gently fades away while remaining natural looking. If I were recommending mineral foundations to someone I would tell people with golden or yellow skin tones to go with Laura Mercier and people with pink or neutral tones to go with Merle Norman. Both are very high quality mineral powders that wear beautifully. Bare minerals has a great color selection but the powder is drying and has no lasting power. Smashbox Halo has the poorest selection of colors, it doesn't offer much coverage and it's horribly shiny. Pur minerals..oh my God! the worst I have ever tried. Threw the whole starter kit in the garbage and I NEVER throw away new cosmetics. Laura Mercier is the best for me so far and I actually don't think I'm going to find anything better.

on 4/14/2011 11:57:00 AM

UPDATE: from reading other reviewers I think this was causing me to breakout horribly around my cheeks. Discontinued using.
I was using BE matte for a bit I stopped b/c i was convinced no mineral foundation can give me the coverage I like which is med-full coverage. This is buildable!! I always love sharing how I apply it. I use my sephora mineral powder brush #45 & i saw a youtube guru give a tip of how to apply mineral foundation. I dampen my brush w/ water (i have a spray bottle) and swril my brush on the lid and tap off the excess and dab it on my face then swirl. I finish it off w/ my elf makeup mist & set and that helps control the shine and make your skin look like your not wearing any makeup. The finish is gorgeous! One word Luminous. My oil still peeps through late in the day but its definetly controlled. Will repurchase!!!!