April 17, 2014 | 1565 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet PLUS Matifying Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2012 1:53:00 PM More reviews by bloodymerry52

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've had my first bottle of this for a couple of years. Maybe that's unsanitary, but oh well. I got the shade #15 Alabaster. I am super fair and this shade comes out of the bottle almost white, but with a damp MAC 187 it blends to match perfectly (not white). The only place I get oily is the t-zone. (Ladies remember foundation is not going to keep your face matte all day, especially if you are an "oil slick". Its like women expect the foundation to do all the work. If your face gets oily, use blotting paper.) Coverage is pretty good and it is buildable if you want fuller coverage. This foundation is okay, but I much prefer my MAC Face & Body because it isn't as heavy.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/20/2012 1:44:00 AM More reviews by Aijamal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Dissapointed,too many cons: did not control oil, looks cakey, accentuates dry patches. Even applying it on primer and using foundation brush didnt help. Threw it away, wont buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/17/2012 3:31:00 PM More reviews by mle79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

So with all the rave reviews I decided to give this a try. Boo. Didnt like it. It gives a pretty good coverage but nothing compares to my EL double matte foundation. I found the MUFE was hard to blend in and left me looking streaky. I guess what aint broke dont fix it so Ill continue on with my EL.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2012 3:30:00 PM More reviews by lexanoelle

While this foundation wasn't the WORST foundation I've ever used, it wasn't my favorite. The coverage was decent however I like foundations with fuller coverage (it is buildable though) and it did matify my skin, but I felt that it didn't last as long as I had hoped for, especially since I used the HD microfinish powder with it as well. I am also not a fan of their color selection, or lack thereof. I am satisfied with this product but it did disappoint me a bit.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2012 1:17:00 AM More reviews by TrainedDreamer

This is one of the better foundations Ive tried this year. They actually had a color match for my NC10 skin!!! The coverage is sheer but it looked so natural & skin-like.

Although I really liked this foundation, I had to return it. It never lasted on my oily skin no matter what primer/setting powder was used. If you have normal to dry skin though, give this a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2012 1:55:00 AM More reviews by beautyarte

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this foundation! I have really oily skin all over. I am really acne prone and I have plenty of blemishes, although fading I want my foundation to provide maximum coverage of everything and this foundation gets the job done. I am overall satisfied with this product and I have heard a lot of people say that it dries fast and I find that a lot of MUFE products dry fast but they also last forever. Being completely honest I have slept in my makeup (not recommended and doesn't usually happen) and it did not even smudge. I was completely shocked so make sure you do a good job at cleansing so it doesn't contribute to clogged pores. This makeup is very great for oily skin I used this during NYC summer and it did not move! I am definitely going to repurchase this product but I feel like they can have more shades.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2012 8:54:00 AM More reviews by mikxoh

NEW HG! I feel like a traitor because my old HG was MUFE HD. For reference I'm 118 in HD and 30 in Matte velvet.

I've been through about 3-4 bottles of HD and it was getting a bit pricey...I actually remember buying that stuff when it was $40, not $42.

I'm very hesitant and unwilling to stray away from a foundation that has worked so perfectly for me but the price tag was making my college student budget cranky so saving a few bucks wherever I could would be nice.

For the same amount of product [1oz] it's $36! I don't mind that it doesn't have a pump because it's a squeeze tube/bottle - clean and sanitary.

I have wombo combo skin + acne prone skin - VERY oily t-zone and normal cheeks which do get dry in the winter. This foundation actually held up a lot better regarding oil control especially around my nose. MUFE HD would pool up around my nose after a few hours of wear but since I looked so picture perfect in photographs I excused it.

Matte velvet is much better for everyday wear! Now I can save my HD foundation for special occasions and not worry about splurging too much on foundation [which I use almost everyday]

I got a sample of this to try before investing in the full sized tube. The SA at sephora gave me a generous amount which lasted for about 3-4 uses so I got to thoroughly test run this bad boy.

This didn't breakout me out and did what it was suppose to do - oil control. This is a keeper for me :D

rated 3 of 5 on 8/28/2012 5:17:00 AM More reviews by laquiche

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This foundation provides good coverage and dries matte on the skin. It has a correct lasting power, however on my combination skin it doesn't stay matte all day and i get shiny already in the morning.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2012 3:59:00 PM More reviews by MsEvaKumo

As a reference, I am between NC25 and NC30 and I have the shade 40 in Mat Velvet +. I have combination skin--oily t-zone, normal to dry cheeks. I also have acne scarring.

I'll start off saying that this is not a perfect foundation. However, I find myself coming back to it again and again. (I'm actually on my 4th bottle right now.)

MUFE weren't kidding when they named this Mat Velvet. It is very matte--so matte that I must moisturize my face properly and apply a moisturizing primer before wearing this foundation. I actually apply night cream before wearing this; otherwise, it will accentuate flakes and feel dry and mask-like. For me, Mat Velvet looks absolutely gorgeous as long as my face is well moisturized. It has great coverage (so great that I don't have to conceal my dark circles and dark spots) and it photographs incredibly well. I think the matte texture is great because I don't need a powder with this since it sets pretty well without one. I alo find that dewey foundations look less natural and highlight my icepick scars. Mat Velvet, on the other hand, is the only foundation that I've used that effectively makes my icepick scars look less apparent. Obviously, the heavier texture deters me from wearing this as an everyday foundation. But it's great for a night out or a special occasion.

This foundation actually looks pretty natural as long as I use a stippling brush and properly hydrate my skin. In fact, my mom and a stranger complimented me on how radiant my skin looked and they thought I was wearing a tinted moisturizer. But I should point out that the texture of the foundation lacks good spreadability, so using a regular foundation brush or plain fingers actually made it look cakey and gross. Using a damp sponge worked well too, but I find that sponges suck up an excessive amount of product.

As I mentioned, I have to use a primer with this foundation. I have forgotten to use a primer twice in the past, and I found that the foundation oxidized terribly (i.e. it turned darker and orange). But a primer (particularly a nourishing type with antioxidants) will help to make the foundation stay true to its color. Also, the foundation will separate and become blotchy after 5 hours if I don't use a primer or if I fail to moisturize my face properly.

So there it is--4 out of 5. It's not perfect and it definitely requires some extra steps for me (moisturizing, applying primer, and using a stippling brush), but I really love how well it photographs and covers my scars. I guess you can call it a love-hate relationship--except there's definitely more love. =)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2012 4:25:00 AM More reviews by Lakkert

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin and this is the first foundation i have tired that stays on my face the entire day. I'd say the coverage is medium-full, and it makes my oily and acne covered face look flawless. The color is perfect (30) and it has a gorgeous matte finish. I also love the practical packaging and that it does not break my out. This is just the perfect foundation for me, no cons! I higly recomend this to people with oily/acne prone skin, and I will absolutley repurchase! :)