September 16, 2014 | 1941 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2013 11:16:00 PM More reviews by lisaydg

I absolutely LOVE this stuff, Coconut oil is truely a gift from the gods. It saved my hair from being fried during bleaches, it is great to cook with too. Its just a miracle product.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2013 1:13:00 AM More reviews by chanslit

I was so excited to grad some coconut oil after hearing so many great things about it, but it did have a few cons for me. I used as a moisturizer for a few weeks and It broke me out pretty bad on my face and chest. Other than that I loved it for the rest of my body!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2013 10:00:00 PM More reviews by VNova

So So Soooo many uses for coconut oil!

1. Helps digestion and promotes weight loss. (Also works for baking and cooking, a great alternative to butter and heavy oils).
2. Great for hair treatments
3. Awesome for dry skin or anyone looking for a bit extra moisture.
4. Great for the ends of the hair.

Seriously, use it inside and out. The price is amazing for the product you get. I usually check Marshalls or TJ Maxx first, they carry virgin, unrefined coconut oil for a smaller price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by misslu990

So many different uses for coconut oil! Not only do I eat it for its benefits, but I warm up a little between my hands and apply it to the ends of my hair. My hair feels softer and more manageable afterwards. Leaves a shine to your hair also. Just don't over apply it, or your hair will look greasy. I use this on my body sometimes and my skin feels smooth and smells good. I would never use this on my face though because I know I would break out from it, but other than that I love it. I buy a huge jar from vitacost they have their own brand of it and its virgin organic coconut oil. LOVE

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2013 3:46:00 PM More reviews by cuteso

THIS IS AMAZING!
I have dry, damaged hair and have tried almost every product possible, from tresemme, to morrocanoil, to KERASTASE (that cost me 60$ for a masque) and NOTHING BEATS THIS.

When i first bought this, I did a masque of coconut oil and eggs and put it on my hair. I left it 30 min on my wet hair, then just rinsed it off. Since then, my hair is so shiny and my ends are repared!!!
I even put coconut oil as a leave-in on my ends (not on top of ur hair cause it'll get greasy) and put some on my dry hair before straightening.. and my hair is sooo healthy!!

I'm now using this instead of expensive hair products that don't compare to simple COCONUT OIL! :)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2013 11:19:00 PM More reviews by Selenite

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Forget those expensive silicone/oil blends at the salon. Redken Diamond Oil? $40US for something based on sunflower and olive oil. Moroccan Oil? Silicones, mostly. Coconut oil can be had for about $10US for a pint. I recently had my hair re-permed. Perming, like any chemical processing, is damaging. The stylist says "your hair is in good condition". "It's the oil." She then goes on about how good coconut oil is for hair. I use it as a weekly deep conditioning treatment and just a tiny bit as a leave in.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2013 11:08:00 PM More reviews by Pestina18

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Not a miracle product, but it definitely does some good things.

(((Cons:

--I was really hoping to use this as a facial moisturizer because I wanted to use something all-natural. I have combination skin and get mild breakouts from time to time. After I showered, I tried spreading a tiny bit of coconut oil over my face. For the first few days, my skin was fine. I was afraid it would make me break out, but it didn't! However, after about four days, my skin became totally dried out. The coconut oil was too oily for my skin - my skin stopped producing its own oil, and dried up. Looks like it's back to my regular facial lotion.
--Coconut oil doesn't make a great lip moisturizer. I made my own lip balm using coconut oil, beeswax, honey, and vitamin e oil. This lip balm (or plain coconut oil) just sits on top of lips, rather than soaking in and moisturizing. I wouldn't make it again.
--It's a little expensive, especially if you go for the virgin organic oil, which is the best.

(((Pros:

--This stuff does moisturize skin. I wouldn't use it every day (for fear of my skin getting used to it and drying up, like my face did) but it's definitely a good natural moisturizer to use if you're running low on lotion or if you have a dry patch of skin.
--It's a good low cholesterol substitute for butter, and it's yummy, too!
--Coconut oil is a great make up remover. I think it works better than vaseline or baby oil, and it's all natural (vaseline and baby oil come from petroleum). I can feel safe putting it around my eye area, and it's said to help prevent wrinkles. Hmm, we'll see!
--It makes a great hair masque. I rub it into dry hair until my hair is soaked. I put my hair up in a bun and leave it for an hour. Then, I rinse it out in the shower and shampoo/condition as normal. Afterwards, my hair is super soft, silky, and shiny.

((( Next, I'll be trying a homemade deodorant using coconut oil, beeswax, baking soda, and cornstarch! I'll update after I try it out.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2013 5:32:00 PM More reviews by jkaclark123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Great for dry skin, and natrual which is lovely! I find it strange because the brand of coconut oil I have doesn't actually smell of coconuts in fact it has no smell at all? Sometimes I put it in smoothies it doesn't add any taste but apparently it helps your skin from the inside, and I'm totally down for that ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2013 6:11:00 AM More reviews by luineumaiel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is something south-asian women have been using for decades to combat the frizziness that characterises our hair because of genetics and climate. That said, your hair can be oily, dry, dandruffy, rough, smooth, black, blonde, coloured, greying, curly, wavy...you hair can be ANYTHING and it really wouldn't matter because raw, unrefined, extra virgin coconut oil is going to bring out the BEST of your natural hair.

I have coarse, sparse and wavy, black south-asian hair. Where I live, it's at least 80% humid all round the year, so dandruff becomes a problem between washes. Every alternate day, I take a small amount of coconut oil in a small, reusable glass bowl/bottle, place it in a hot water bath. Allow it to be as hot as you can possible tolerate, pour it onto your scalp and treat yourself to a hot coconut oil massage. (add a drop or two of rosemary/peppermint oil at this stage to the oil). After 5 to 10 minutes, use a brush with a rounded tip and brush from root to tip of your hair - this allows all the loose hair to fall out and pulls all the dirt/dust stuck on your hair strands/roots to get dislodged, while spreading the oil evenly through your hair from root to tip. I usually like to sleep right after that (how could you not want to! hot oil + massage + right after work) and wash it off in the morning when I shower, but you could also wash it off immediately.

Wash it off with a gentle, SLS and silicone-free shampoo. If you do it right, you'll notice you don't need a leave-in conditioner or hair styling product of any sort, and your hair will still look pulled together.

Forget your leave-in conditioners, anti-dandruff shampoos and just try this once! It's cost-efficient and effective!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/22/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by detritus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Made me breakout with painful cystic acne. Beware if you are acne-prone.